Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Also, I gotta say, this movie had the best reveal for Doc Ock. I did not see that coming, at all.

Same here. I saw the film last night as was like "Oh, okay, she's just hosed in the head, Pete's gonna knock her out and we're never gonna see her aga--OH poo poo SHE'S DOC OCK!"

I also loved the Krondon cameo as Tombstone. I know he only had like two lines in the film, but between that and Tobias Whale on Black Lightning dude's been killing it in villain roles lately.

I hope they bring back Miles' hoodie/shorts/sneakers costume for the sequel. It makes a great pairing with Gwen's costume especially because Spider-Verse 2 is gonna be Gwen-centric from the sound of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

The hoodie and sneakers were a good look, but I think the idea is that it's his street cover. The tights are mostly black, so when the hoodie is zipped and his mask is off he can move around more or less "in costume" without being noticed.

I bet Spider-Verse 2 will go for a cotagonists approach rather than giving over the lead to either Miles or Gwen. The spinoff they've also talked about definitely sounds like it'll be her film, though.

I'd be down for that definitely. I've been burned out on Peter's Spider-Man since Amazing 2 and I love the poo poo out of Miles and Gwen's take on the role, so anything with both of them in it as Spider-People, I'm all on board for it. I really hope Insomiac takes a cue from Spider-Verse and not only includes Gwen in the Spidey PS4 sequel but has both her and Miles as playable too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
My only real issue with the film so far has been how did Gwen sneak into the most prestigious and exclusive private school in New York and pose as a student for a whole week with seemingly no record of her existing in Miles' world?

The answer is "It's a movie, it doesn't matter", but it's still just gonna bug me.

I hope they bring Liv back for the sequel because she was a phenomenal take on Doc Ock, but I'll also be cool if she's just loving dead too because her getting rammed by a random flying semi truck and everyone just shrugging it off was one of the best sight gags in the film.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Corrosion posted:

White privilege?

Gaunab posted:

hacking into the school

I accept both answers. Thank you CineD :buddy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Remember when some nerd called Max Dillon fell into a vat of electric eels and got electric superpowers, which caused the gap in his front teeth to close? Me neither.

I got an emergency call to take a family member to the airport because they forgot what time their flight was leaving, so I had to walk out of that movie around the Times Square fight where all the scaffolding fell to the ground and landed in just the right sequence to play The Itsy Bitsy Spider, and I am eternally grateful for that call.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Got a surprise album dropping today from the movie!

https://www.slashfilm.com/into-the-spider-verse-christmas-songs/

This will be interesting. And awesome...and probably a little scary.

EDIT: Listening to it now, track one is actually really good.

EDIT 2 : I was wrong, this album is loving awesome.

It's 40 minutes of Chris Pine trying to sing Christmas songs as Spider-Man. How could it NOT be awesome?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Too many words about Spider-Mens.

No one cares. Did you listen to to the Christmas album?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I don't know if this was intentional or not, but it if was it's a stroke meta-textual genius, but if you listen to the full version of What's Up Danger?, you can hear the Prowler siren all the way through it. That's one hell of a nice touch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For a man who hates comic books, science fiction and fantasy, you sure like indulge in a fuckton of it. :thunk:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Large Hardon Panic

But seriously though, have you listened to Chris Pine sing Jingle Bells as Spider-Man yet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Watched this last night and it was the most fun I had watching a comic book movie this year. Not since Venom did I actually enjoy a comic book movie. Marvel studios movies suck so much in comparison imo

All I’ve seen of Venom is the kissing scene between Eddie and Venom. If the rest of the movie is like that tonally, then it looks like it would be loving blast of a dark comedy but I somehow doubt it is. Still, it’s incredibly telling that Venom, a movie Sony tried its damndest to burry, did better at the box office than Justice League.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thanks for the Venom recs, by the way. I think I might have to check it out after all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I, for one, am glad that Bravest thinks he knows more about animation than the actual working animator.

I've seen him slam into a lot of brick walls on these forums. This has been the funniest one so far, not gonna lie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I dunno. Go to a comic book store and quote that post verbatim to the clerk and see what he says to you.

E: seriously have you listened to the loving Christmas album yet. Stop dodging the question.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pick posted:

We can see metal in alt designs from other universes though, such as Spiderwoman's.

Yeah. Gwen's Doc Ock had the exact same metallic arms as Alfred Molina's Ock from the Raimi films, down to the actuation segmenting on the arms. Liv's Doc Ock set up felt much more advanced and deadly. I also love how the arms being rubbery fit her character too, being hyper-flexible and easily concealable like a real octopus is, as she spends half the movie hiding in plain sight in whatever role he needs to to get by.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

evilmiera posted:

So unlike Lamps, I have now heard the album. It was good, but they missed out on some prime rhyming. And it needed to be longer.

Before I forget, Merry Christmas to all. And be sure to donate money to your nearest starving Spider-Man.

This is how you know he's truly a miserable miserly bastard. He won't even come out of his ivory Movie Lord tower to listen to a simple Chistmas album. What kind of person is so awful that they refuse to listen to Chris Pine singing about Spider-Man?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Yes, but have you considered...that good thing is bad?!?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You are a weird and gross rear end in a top hat and even trolling you is starting to lose its luster. Have you listened to the loving Christmas album yet or not? It's not that hard of a question to answer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It's like clockwork. Lamps eats a probe and you rush in out of nowhere to defend him. I'd swear you two were alts, but I know otherwise and that just makes it all the sadder.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

spider genitals

Question: have you listened to the Christmas album yet? Your master has repeatedly dodged the question. What do you have to say on the matter?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just want to know what he thought of Chris Pine singing about Spider-Man. Thank you, at least, for answering me. I am modestly satisfied.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have a very minor gripe about the animation style because that kind of psuedo-stop motion worked when the premise of the film was "the imagined world of toys" but doesn't fit as well when that conceit is removed

I’d argue the variable frame rate works to an advantage in the action sequences because it allows the animators to emphasize key actions and moments better than a smoother frame rate would. The What’s Up Danger sequence uses this to great effect as Miles finally comes into his own and he actually starting doing things deliberately rather than bumbling though them.

It’s in the quieter dialog scenes where the choppy frame rate comes off as jarring, but you’re right it is a minor annoyance at best.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That’s just Deadpool at that point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Did none of you dinguses watch the 90s Spider-Man cartoon? Spider-God exists and her name is Madame Web, and Stan Lee wanted to bang her when they met briefly because she was voiced by his wife.

Thus the debate is over. Merry Spider-Mas.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
lovely rear end in a top hat nerds on the internet ruining things through pedantry? That's unheard of!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Aunt May carries a bat around and DGAF despite being surrounded by supervillains. What a boss.

She’s mildly annoyed that they destroyed her house, but she’s probably used to it by now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miserable Maid posted:

BotL, the problem is that you keep moving the goalposts. It doesn't feel like you're trying to prove a point, it feels like you're constantly changing your tune slightly in order to be "right".

If that’s the case, then Stop Replying To BravesOfTheLamps. There’s a gif. It’s brightly coloured and flashes. People post it all the time but none of you dipshits seem to notice it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a while it was super common since the PS3 had crazy UFO tech processing power for its time (which made it a pita to develop for) and originally could have Linux installed on it.

Yep. The equal parts legendary and infamous Cell Processor. The reason why a lot of the big second party games (from places like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Polyphony, Santa Monica, Japan Studio, etc.) from it’s mid-life onward looked and played absolutely fantastic is because those studios each figured out various portions of how to code games for the PS3 and then shared their breakthroughs with each other so that eventually by the time you get to games like The Last of Us they’re at their peak potential because of like 6 different studios’ worth of groundwork underneath it.

Also yeah the “Sever towers of PS3s daisy chained together” was also a plot point on Person of Interest. The main characters used an entire subway car full of PS3s to reboot and run the show’s resident artificial super intelligence.

There was also (debunked) rumours going around back in the 2000s that that Iraqi military was buying pallet-loads of PS2s to rip out their processors and shove them into missiles because their computing power was that great for its time. So this anecdote has been around for a while.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God I hope they really lean into it for the Venom sequel and just make it a full-on intentional dark comedy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Lamps strikes me as the kind of miserable bastard who would slap someone else’s child because they were annoying him.

Please heed Digital Paul McGann’s advice and stop arguing with and quoting him because it’s an exercise in circular tedium and you’re just making GBS threads the forums up by proxy for the 1,000+ people who have him on ignore specifically because they don’t want to read his blithering dipshittery.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

I didn’t even bring up BotL, you did. I was just agreeing that it’s dumb to claim that a random anecdote of a black kid enjoying seeing another black kid in the movie is a better topic of discussion than anything in the actual movie.

Representation is good, but it doesn’t excuse a movie from criticism.

Then maybe just let it go talk about the film then instead of being like 5th-hand mad by proxy about a 4 year old really liking a comic book movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I Before E posted:

drat hosed up that aunt may is QAnon

Also I never expected this of all threads to go from zero to massive disproportionate drama in 25 pages

It's because one guy is weird and miserable about popular culture and enterainment and he has a legion of hangers on who swarm in whenever he is locked away in back in his ivory tower to continue in his place.

Just put em all on ignore and move on.