Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ungulateman posted:

the idea that kids should only be inspired by people that look like them is bad and promotes weird essentialist concepts of race that are totally foreign to me as a non-american

I see this thread has already hit the "being European makes me perfectly race-blind" point of posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
White posters awkwardly trying to dance around why they thought Well Akually Spiderverse Was Bad without admitting they're racist was one of this movie's gifts to us.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Grendels Dad posted:

"Black kids aren't poor under-represented in cinema, they have a refridgerator Black Panther" is a bad take, OP.

I appreciate the self-own in saying 3 (!) whole black characters is enough, why are people complaining.

mycot fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 7, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Blood Boils posted:

I was actually thinking dr Dolittle :p

You can't be real.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think the confusion is that there's a difference between "this guy is the antagonist because he genuinely believes it's for the greater good and ends up at cross purposes with the main character" and "this guy is the antagonist because he's the bad guy tricking everyone into thinking that he's the former" which is what the Morb theory is.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The first PS4 Spider-man game came out before Spiderverse made everybody know about Miles Morales, so it drags out Miles' introduction hilariously slowly. Like reading an alphabet book to a baby, but instead of letters it's the concept of a black spider-man.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I know anime movies are their own beast but the Evangelion movies have everything else beat for cliffhangers.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
But where is the Spider-man that makes you gay?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
My understanding of the Sony-Disney legal situation is that because the Gwen that people care about is a Spider-Person, Sony doesn't have full rights to her unlike the Spider-man adjacent characters like Kraven and Morbius.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Nah.

edit: the most positive thing I can say is that BOTL did not make the most racist post in this thread, that would go to whoever posted Miles is nothing special because black people already had Will Smith in I Robot.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 23, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah it's less that the character is literally racist and more that the whole "It's Not Canon for Spider-man to be happy or have living parents or [etc.]" spiel feels very familiar.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Gwen being trans feels like a If You Know You Know thing, like there's just enough ambiguity for people to say it's not decisively canon (heheh) but obvious enough to be picked up by its intended audience.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly you could tell me Hobie is anywhere between the age of 17 and 65 and I would accept it and nod.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Communist Thoughts posted:

I didn't know it was a 2 parter going in so I thought they were joking and it would be one of those "To Be Continued...now!" gags cause all they had left was for spot to fire a laser into the sky and the heroes to stop him

I do kinda wonder how they're going to fill out the runtime, like yes the story is obviously not finished but it seems like it would only take a few more scenes to wrap everything up

1) Spot fight scene
2) Gwen's team vs. Miguel's team. Probably combined with convincing Miguel to stop being such a meanie.
3) Convincing Earth 42 Miles to stop being such a dick.
4) Save Jefferson from getting squished.

Of course there's more character stuff you can add like developing Miguel more (I actually feel like he's an incomplete character as of now - sure Miles is technically the cause of his problems but that doesn't feel like explanation for why he seems to utterly hate Miles), Peter and Gwen giving Miles an apology (because they really did stab him in the back), etc. but is that going to take 90+ minutes? idk

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, the joke is Miles is nervous over Gwen liking another guy and then when he actually meets him it turns out no, she likes him so much because he really is just the coolest :allears:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

BioEnchanted posted:

My thought is that the spiderverse web itself is part of the problem - if it existing means that canon events, whether they are a thing or not, need to happen, then letting the web collapse will free all Spiderpeople from any requirements.

I do have the gut feeling that the trilogy is going to end with Spider Society being dissolved and the Spiderverse being destroyed, forcing every Spider Person to deal with total agency over the consequences of their actions, for better or worse. This might be the solution to closing up the inter-dimensional tears. There will probably be a tearjerker scene where Miles and Gwen believe that they are saying goodbye for the last time, only for them to be able to be together somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I got so loving pissed off when the big moment in the Kraven trailer was him putting on the lion vest.