Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A lot of the time when I was watching this I completely forgot that the characters were 3D models and not hand-drawn in 2D.
This movie is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The movie is about a kid losing his individuality as his story is hijacked by others, and he turns into a consumer and then a product.

congrats botl in your pursuit of higher intellectualism you have become dumber than the 5 year old kids who saw this movie and understood its message perfectly. bards of the future will sing of your exploits

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How many subforums/threads does that make that botl is banned from now?
It’s a pretty big pile

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

I really feel like a movie having representation in it doesn’t automatically excuse it from criticism.

it's bad criticism fam

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

That’s cool, I just think people should address it on the grounds of it being bad criticism instead of accusing him of hating kids or whatever.

it was addressed as bad criticism ages ago but he digs deeper and retreats into irony which is exhausting for everyone. move on from this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

Sure.

Miles' arc is truncated in a really unfortunate way - the pacing of the movie is breakneck, there's simply too much content to cram into a movie this short. Sacrificing any of the three Spider-Men who don't accomplish anything might have solved it or might not have, but what matters is that the end result isn't Miles actually "learning to be Spider-Man." This isn't a coming of age story for Miles - his maturation into Spider-Man comes when he gets lucky taking the oft-mentioned "leap of faith" and not because of any lessons he learns. Even the last blow Fisk lands on Miles is framed similarly and makes a similar motion to Parker's death blow, meant to reference it - but Miles survives it because... his dad is cheering him on? There's not really any explanation as to why Miles succeeds where Parker failed other than that he's got a taser in his palm. It's implied through the shoulder touch reference, the presence of his dad, and the "I'll always have my family" line that Miles pulls it off because of those connections, but then that creates some weird implications that Parker failed because he doesn't have one. It's driven home by the fact that Uncle Aaron is done in by his own decisions and not Miles', which isn't even comparable to Uncle Ben dying because Parker failed to learn his core lesson, which taught him to actually pay heed to it - and made even weirder by the next scene, where the Spider-People tell him that losing someone you care about is just intrinsic to the idea of being a hero. Not only is it not really true, it's also not applicable here.

Taking the leap is the development and it's what the movie is building up to the entire time. Miles is already capable of being Spider-Man. The thing that holds him back the entire time is that he is afraid of taking the leap. The entire movie up to then is about Miles sabotaging himself out of fear of failure. He's afraid of his new school so he actively tries to flunk out. He's afraid of talking to a girl so he tries to act cool and humiliates himself and her. He's afraid to confront his uncle when he turns out to be a supervillain so he delays the confrontation until the last possible moment, by which point it's too late to fix things. He's afraid of being a hero because he watched his own hero die. Miles already knows that with great power comes great responsibility. But he's afraid of that responsibility. The arc is about him learning to face his fears, not about learning how to shoot webs.

And no it doesn't even remotely imply that Peter Parker died because he had no family. He had a loving wife and aunt, both of which knew his secret and helped him do what he did. His aunt freakin ran his high-tech underground mission control,and knew exactly how to build his web shooters. C'mon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

it’s time to start talking about what that representation means and what kind of messages it carries for the people being represented.

you’re free to start anytime you want

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

Do you wanna talk about it or just sit self-congratulating yourself in your computer chair over your epic burn?

I’m more than willing to hear what’s wrong with my views on representation and have outright asked what’s wrong with them. I know it’s not everyone’s job to educate the unknowing all the time but the least you could do is not be a smug worthless rear end in a top hat to someone who is literally asking what’s wrong with their arguments.

but you have barely actually said anything constructive about representation you’ve just been talking about how everyone else is doing it wrong.
what is there for me to say in disagreement besides “people posting simple and uplifting anecdotes is fine”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if only we all could be so lucky to have a fanclub that seek out threads to drop into and stan for our terrible posts

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amethyst posted:

This post is great because it's clear you think it's uncool to stand up for posters you like. Like you're all cool and no caps posting like it's the raddest thing in the world, where what you're doing is backing a forum moderator banning someone for a month. Yeah dude real rad. Me standing up for the poster? That's dumb and not cool, it's "stanning" (lmao. You dickhead).

yeah it's really weird

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Miles is caught in between his dad and his uncle. his dad represents a rigid rule-based way of life while his uncle represents a laid-back life of freedom. Neither of them are exactly right for Miles.

It seems like Aaron got stuck doing a dirty job in order to get by. I don’t think the specifics are important, what’s important is what he represents to his family. Aaron helps nurture Miles’s creativity but also helps him put things off. To Miles his death is a cautionary tale of what could happen if he keeps on running away from his problems.

Jefferson’s rigid way of thinking pushes Miles to do the right thing, but it also makes him emotionally distant in a way that alienates his family and makes Miles feel stifled. He doesn’t approve of his brother’s lifestyle so he distances himself from him. Then the next time he sees him he’s dead in an alleyway, dressed like a supervillain. To Jefferson, this represents the consequence of letting your family slip away from you. It’s what pushes him to open up to Miles and encourage him to be himself.

The important thing here is accepting your failures and making things right by being a better person. Aaron takes a bullet to save his nephew and tells him he can be better than his uncle. Jefferson changes to be less of an unapproachable authority figure. Meanwhile, Kingpin’s plan is to try and undo the consequences of his mistakes without actually becoming a better person. In doing so, he guarantees that his family’s tragedy will always repeat itself. There is no universe he can go to where he can hide who he is forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lets not forget how Boss Baby was nominated for Best Animated