Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
When I was watching this all I could think about is how many armchair internet film experts say that origin stories are objectively terrible and more reboots should just tell the origin in an opening flashback and then get on with the story. Because this was an origin story composed entirely of other smaller origin stories and was one of the best and most original superhero movies ever made while the ones that do do that opening flashback trick like the 2008 Hulk movie and Batman v Superman are, well, not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
People have pointed out the obvious easter egg movie posters like Clone College and From Dusk Til Shaun but I liked some of the goofier background details like water polo and horse racing being the big popular sports is different universes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I didn't like how overly stylized Kingpin was compared to everyone else in the movie, I get what they were going for but in a movie that uses art styles as visual shorthand having one guy who looks more different than people that are explicitly from other worlds is a problem. His design being lifted directly from a completely different comic illustrator explains a lot and I get what they were going for with him being a face in a black void and trying to use sheer size to overcome the "how is a fat guy in a suit supposed to be a physical threat to a superhero in a direct fight" problem that every other theatrical and television adaptation of the character has had but I feel like just moving his head up a bit on his torso so he was less Triplets of Belleville mafia goon and more No Face from Spirited Away would have a done a lot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
To distract from that awful post, one thing I love about this movie is that they seem to be letting everyone who worked on it be pretty open about the creative process.

https://twitter.com/NickTyson/status/1074699550865018880

https://twitter.com/DANIELPEMBERTON/status/1075425772012216320

Robin Williams' R-rate Genie outtakes are still buried in the Disney vault almost 30 years later while John Mulaney swearing as Spider-Ham is something they're actually using to promote the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6l3h5e4fbg&t=339s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Vintersorg posted:

It was totally opposite for myself. Venom was painful all the way through and no jokes landed at all. Tom Hardy is wasted in this role, the symbiote suit looks like absolute poo poo, the final fight is loving dumb and its just another piece of poo poo.

Agreed, Venom's box office success seems to be almost entirely due to it being a statistical aberration that appeals to both dumb angry Facebook guys who seem to consume it vicariously in the same way that they think The Joker and Patrick Bateman are aspirational figures and fujoshi who have spent the past month schlicking like crazy over how they ship Tom Hardy and his CGI slime boyfriend.

Which is one more way Spider-Verse blows it out of the water even when it comes to dumb fandom weirdos, Spider-Ham innocently riding around on SpiderNoir's shoulders > Tom Hardy-chan going :nyoron: because Venom-tan wants chicken nuggets at three in the morning

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
To distract from everyone shouting down the guy who wants to talk about the movie in the forum for talking about movies:

https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/1077441380488744960

Also, the photo of the derpy Spider-Man ice cream bar from the opening was the original photo that Matt from the classic web 1.0 nostalgia site X-Entertainment posted years and years ago.

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1074137028512616449

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1074137524145176577

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1074336011713474560

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

Who, exactly, do you think you’re getting one over on, here?

Congratulations, you’re a weird, pedantic dingus.

You have made 8 posts in this thread and not a single one is actually about the movie, they're all you tediously making GBS threads your pants about other posters that have actually contributed something to the thread. Kindly consider jamming your head in the nearest particle accelerator and bringing back a version of Phylodox that isn't a humorless dullard.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Or maybe people are finally getting tired of literally every single CD thread devolving into "hmmm yes but you see why hmmm why is the film called into the spider verse filled with characters based on spiders? Perhaps this speaks to the nature of consumerism in our culture and furthermore ~faaaaaaaart~"

You have made 6 posts in this thread and also not a single one is you actually discussing the movie. People like you are why Blockbuster Video is a wasteland.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 26, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there is a subforum called blockbuster video for non-critical movie discussion

Yeah after years of people complaining about how CD sucks because it's just le pretentious nerds huffing their own farts about superhero movies the powers that be finally gave the whiners their own forum free from the tyranny of having to think about stuff and unsurprisingly it was completely stillborn because people who get mad about other people talking about movies don't actually have very much to say themselves.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mameluke posted:

What fun Spider-Folk who didn't make the cut for this one would y'all like to see in a sequel? Italian Spiderman, obviously, and newspaper Spiderman for sure; Silk would be a great "serious" addition. I'd also love to see Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark show up and belt out a catastrophic number or two; he even comes with his own Spider-God, Arachne!

Tituss Burgess as Spidermen Too,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrc4VdoueE

Also the various Muppet spider-mans, including the creepy metal CGI one from the logo at the end of Muppet Babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1DdMeVqTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTjBnFXMg3I

Who What Now posted:

All the Sam Raimi movies, including three, are way better than any of the later live-action Spider-Man films

The Raimi movies and Homecoming are so completely different in what they are and what they're trying to do and their interpretation of the character that I don't know how you would even really compare them outside of personal enjoyment.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's been a weird sort of backlash to sam raimi movies I don't get. Especially since Sam Raimi has a clearer vision as a director than any of the later films.

I think the issue is that the later marvel movies have been very good at tricking the audience into believing they are not watching a superhero movie, while the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies are unapologetic in their superhero-ness

Well they did just recently release a big remastered blu-ray set of the Raimi trilogy and I imagine it made a lot of people revisit the movies for the first time in like a decade and re-evaluate it accordingly. I know that for me personally it kind of took the sheen off seeing in high definition, I don't know if it's the lighting or the film stock or what but the whole movie feels like it's in this weird awkward transition between the glossiness of 90s blockbusters and the sort of desaturated look that only recently started going away.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Miserable Maid posted:

Just got back from watching this, the film absolutely knocked it out of the park in every way for me!

A poster mentioned early in the thread about the good dads in the movie, and that made me appreciate how many times male characters in this film say "I love you", which you wouldn't think it's a big deal but it is, especially between two male characters

Double especially between two black male characters. Both with Miles and his dad and his dad and his uncle, the latter especially since I liked that even though his uncle is explicitly a criminal he still loves Miles and is a good influence in a lot of ways (encouraging his skills with and interest in art, giving him advice on interacting with his peers that he isn't comfortable going to an authority figure for) when it would have been all to easy to moralistically write him off as a bad guy with no redeeming features that his dad was right for not letting him spend time with. Like a lot of people in CD I have a huge appreciation for the Wachoski's Speed Racer film and while this movie felt like a peer of it visually the scene where Miles' dad is having a one-sided conversation about how he loves him and he'll always have a place with them and he won't make the same mistake he made with his brother reminded me a lot of the scene of Pops confronting Speed and saying more or less the same thing about not wanting to repeat the same mistake he made with Rex.

Obviously the gender and minority stuff is more immediately visible wrt representation in the film but I loved that they didn't sleep on doing something with the men too. Even with default white male Peter Parker they managed to do some stuff with him dealing with his emotions and insecurities about aging and his marriage and the prospect of being a parent, the sincerity and acceptance extending to the how it's OK for men to have feelings and be vulnerable is just as strong as presenting women as strong and capable.

Sadly as is the norm with this decade of animation as much as they were willing to hint at same-sex relationships between female characters there wasn't a single wink at the existence of a gay male in the entire movie, but pobody's nerfect I suppose.

LinYutang posted:

Amazing movie. I appreciated the small joke about destroying Staten Island, for one.

"I think it's a Banksy!"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
All three of them are driven primarily by their visuals and the specifics of their animation style, if you think pulpy B&W spider-man is better than strech-and-squash looney tunes spider-man or flat walleyed japanimation mecha pilot spider-man that's entirely your preferences at work rather than any inherent strength of the character.

If anything Noir was the least interesting compared to the weird flat shading stuff they did with Penni or the lovingly hand-drawn classic animation smears they did for Spider-Ham's movements.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

friendly 2 da void posted:

PS: How did Miles get into the fancy boarding school? A goddamn lottery.

Can I just say that with how much Hollywood and eltie neolibs in general love giving sloppy blowjobs to private schools it was incredibly refreshing to have Visions be portrayed aa a crushing hellhole driven by exclusivity and allied with a literal supervillain? It also totally lines up with the movie's themes that schools that brag about how accomplished and successful their student body is simply by wont of throwing anyone with less than perfect scores out onto the street so they don't drag their stats down would rightfully be portrayed as a bad thing.

You could even possibly do a reading on Miles' teachers refusing to flunk him despite him obviously not wanting to be there and the stressful hyper-competitive environment being bad for him being as much about selfishly not wanting to toss the token poor kid charity case out on his first week for PR purposes just as much as any altruistic belief in pushing him to do his best.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Corrosion posted:

Because Aaron and Jeff represent social choices. "Sometimes people are evil" is a willfully ignorant response to that, especially given that the take away from Prowler is "If you're bad in a socially accepted way, you'll die because a white person will shoot you so don't get out of line." Prowler is clearly adept with technology, and he's the only one who can see Miles which is the idea that he can see himself in Miles. Why do we need to know what informs this? Because some people still say "Sometimes people are just like bad and stuff." I think Prowler is potentially interesting, but that's why I really just chose to say I agree with the readings made about the Spider-Verse engulfing Miles as a character.

Aaron's path to becoming a criminal gets as much screentime as Jeff's path to becoming a cop, which is to say none. I can see the argument that not exploring the choices that led to Aaron becoming Prowler is doing a disservice to the character and the idea of morality and criminality in general, but the movie is already so overstuffed that I can see why any potential ideas to explore that would have fallen to the wayside early on. Especially with how powerful the twist of Uncle Aaron being Prowler is both from a story perspective and in reinforcing Miles' origin as being a fractured version of the classic Spider-Man mythology, dedicating some of the first act to showing that Aaron may be a Bad Guy but he isn't a bad guy is about the most you could do without giving up something precious to buy something cheap.

And really considering how much hand-wringing there was about Spider-Man's collaboration with and support of the cops in the big PS4 Spider-man game that came out earlier this year the fact that Spider-Verse has been mercifully free of thinkpieces about law enforcement in comic book fiction not being comparable to the real thing is a testament to the movie's quality. If the movie were any less dripping with artistry I could see people having a field day with that and "if you're attracted to a girl grab her and say 'hey' so she knows you like her" as ways of attacking it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Do we even know that Aaron made the Prowler suit himself? I only remember seeing him wearing and fighting in the suit, for all we know he could have just been some bodyguard or security worker or mercenary who was given the suit by Kingpin as he started doing more dangerous and illegal wetwork stuff for him and gained his confidence. It would also explain why Kingpin was willing to kill him for a moment's hesitation when he puts up with all kinds of poo poo from Liv on account of her being an actual genius scientist and inventor whose work he has to rely on.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He mentions that he went down to the area in the subway on an engineering job, and while that was probably a cover, it's probably a good bet that he does have an engineering background of some kind.

I thought "engineering job" was just a euphemism for his Prowler work guarding/overseeing the work around the particle accelerator since that tagging spot being near the particle accelerator is exactly why the spider was there in the first place and why when Miles came back to it later he was within earshot of Prowler fighting off Spider-Man when he showed up to turn the machine off.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Tony Soprano tells his family he works in sanitation but we see him attacking and killing people for organized crime and not actually doing any sanitation work, does this mean he is some sort of supervillain who got powers from radioactive trash or some sort of evil trash golem? I really Into the Sopranos-Verse 2 dedicates some time to his origin story so this blunder can be corrected.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

asecondduck posted:

Your post made me think of the potential of the sequel having one of Spidey's rouge's gallery getting a universe hopper and teaming up with a bunch of other universe villians to commit a bunch of crimes. I imagine the Black Cat from Spider-Ham's universe is literally just a snarky black cat who is good at robberies. And the Lizard is just a lizard.

Actually, let's just greenlight a Spider-Ham film.

As someone who loves both the major animated comic book superhero movies to come out this year, split the difference between this and the TTG movie and have Michael Bolton as Mysterio using his newfound multiverse powers to do diagetic musical numbers in outer space in the sequel.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you want to be charitable maybe it was so the joke was more about him aging and letting himself go in his post-divorce depression + him losing his self confidence rather than straight up bodyshaming him? Him doing his hero work in sweatpants very much gave me the same vibe of the perfectly fine kid who swims with his shirt on and gets way more poo poo for it than anything else.

Spider-Man is very much an acrobat and as someone who grew up with family that was pretty deep in the world of upper-level gymnastics and ballet a person who is supposed to be operating at peak flexibility and manueverability while wearing form fitting costumes getting a bit of a spare tire like Peter B is a really big deal in how it affects your performance compared to the average overweight office worker fluctuating twenty or thirty pounds over the year between swimsuit seasons or as part of a bulking and cutting cycle.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

"I prefer the real piggy Spider-Man."

"I said, the real piggy Spider-man"

"Perfection."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I Before E posted:

One thing sorely missing from this film:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the many, many goofs they had in the big crowd scenes during the animated credits sequence. I was too focused on the big ones at the foreground like all the Spider-Hams roasting a Spider-man on a spit over a fire or recreating exponentially bigger and more populated versions of that one 60s Spider-man meme to look over the others.

Even as far back as Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs Lord and Miller have been incredibly good at packing their movies full of, to borrow the term from the people who made The Simpsons, VCR Gags so I'm really looking forward to getting to watch it from the comfort of my own home with a pause button handy. Even the small clips and stills they released as promos had a bunch of stuff I missed, like the different universes having ads for the Yugo and a big EA Sports water polo game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
In keeping with the staff of the movie being Very Online, Phil Lord has been posting raw assets from the movie on request.

https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/1079254573594828800

I Before E posted:

Anyone can be a spiderman, from a twink to a particularly twinky otter

if a radioactive spider bit a bear would he look like this

or like this

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Really if you think about it it's Peter Parker's fault for using a cheap plastic piece of crap for the delicate piece of multiverse-saving electrical equipment he was explicitly bringing to a battle. The entire movie could have been averted if he spent an extra few bucks to get a reversible USB plug so he didn't get tripped up trying to plug it in upside-down.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Penni is great just because a tertiary parody character with like a dozen lines is better animated than any actual legit attempts at making CGI anime to come out of Japan's animation industry ever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Chappie had the immortality supercomputer powered by PS3s so the bad guy using a competitor console in Spider-Verse is downright restrained.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/1080338672715673600

The characters being animated on 2's but out of sync is blowing my mind

same with seeing old-school animation smears done in 3d

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SirSamVimes posted:

how does this movie exist

The sad thing is that CGI is always this intensive and deliberate, it just has the stigma of being less legitimate than 'real" animation and special effects and it's often not usually being directed to an end or having attention drawn to it. This is what happens when the people who made The Emoji Movie are being directed by people who actually know how to make movies, I'm sure the guys making sure every one of Photorealistic Simba's fur follicles are perfectly positioned are working just as hard as the guys who synced up Miles and Peters' animations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Strom Cuzewon posted:

As much as I love Lord and Miller, and their frenetic directing style, I would absolutely love them to do a more sedate movie. The visuals are great, but there's so much being hurled around at once it's hard to take in all the little details (the *BAGEL*, the half a second of perfectly synchronised THWIPS in the final fight) and I like to have a little more breathing room.

The final fight has me utterly convinced that this team should be put in charge of the Sandman movie.

Only Lord worked on this movie, and as a writer. Of the three credited directors of this film, Peter Ramesy is the only one with a previous feature film directing credit for Rise of the Guardians at Dreamworks while Rodney Rothman has mostly been writing and producing in television and Bob Persichetti has been doing storyboard artwork at Dreamworks.

That's another triumph of this movie, the fact that it's by and large the product of so many newcomers. One of major problems that Pixar and to a lesser extent Disney has had with this past generation is that they've been doing a really bad job actively cultivating new talent in favor of letting the same close-knit group run everything and then bringing in outside talent like Rich Moore while suffering brain drain from new talent jumping ship for greener pastures as soon as they've proven themselves. And we're at the point where the original batch of golden boys are either dying off or retiring (willingly or otherwise, in the case of John Lasseter) and the pool of replacements isn't as deep and wide as it should be.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

She also recovered the suit's "spider" core before returning to her home dimension, so she'll be back in a new suit with the same core.

Yeah, as cool as it was to see that style of animation emulated I thought Penni was the weakest link in the cast of Spiders Men. Spider-Noir coming from a literal black and white world and using all sorts of hilarious outdated slang or Ham using cartoon slapstick to fight baddies had actual payoff but "has an annoying squeaky anime voice and blares jpop and makes emoji faces IRL" and her emotional arc being the weeb equivalent of "aw gently caress I wrecked my dead dad's car and I'm really sad, ah well nobody was hurt and now I can build an even better car with the insurance money" was just blehhh even if by being the one who rebuilt the Goober she arguably contributed the most.

Apraxin posted:

There's always Mieville's pitch for Scrap-Iron Man:

If this was real life Scrap Iron Man would be rolling coal with a Q bumper sticker and a MAGA hat and patrolling gated communities looking for MS-13.

FilthyImp posted:

^^^
Love that pitch, but I hate how it would get mangled if taken on by Marvel: protag would instead be Tony Stark, down on his luck foreman who lost his engineering PhD because alcoholism, or, ScrapIron Man beats down Tony only to learn AIM has infiltrated Stark Enterprises and now the two unlikely allies have to join together to beat down... uh... ModoC (Mental Organism Designed only for Capitalism).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtntTvuv8Aw

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This winning the best animated film at the Golden Globes made me realize that there's a very good chance that this could take home the Academy Award as well. People say that the Oscars are all about politics and if there's a political environment that could dethrone Disney/Pixar's winning streak it's one where the guy who has been running both of them has been #MeToo'd out of existence and the award show is struggling with fallout over being too white.

Though on the other hand The Incredibles 2 is basically tailor-made to appeal to the Academy's demographics so even if its not as good as Spidey I could see being the softball win for that year.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

I'm the four year old black boy in that post. My mouth was agape, but not about the film's finale, but about the smelly 30 years old fat adults who were there watching a children's cartoon but didn't have any children with them.

I don't know if the site has an official age restriction or not but regardless I think Hogge Wild should get a 100,000 hour probation to spare him from wasting his childhood on this site and further damaging a developing mind that already struggles with something as basic as paying attention to a movie in a theater.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I agree, the soundtrack is off the loving hook. "What's Up Danger?" is such a good loving song holy poo poo.

The saddest part is that Vince Staples' "Home" is like the third credits song, it's phenomenal.

My favorite thing about What's Up Danger? is that it has Prowler's siren/roar mixed in with it including right at the opening of the track.

The original score is really good too, the motif of using distortion and record-scratching not just to mix the music but as their own elements (like the earlier Twitter posts from the composer showing that a lot of the dimensional instability sound effects were just them scratching the record so hard that it turns into noise) makes the clash of the more traditional epic orchestral superhero music and the more modern hip-hop and electronic stuff harmonized really well. Which makes sense since, well, it's a movie about different worlds clashing. The different Spider-Man themes are great because the classic Peter Parker one sounds very much like a take on Danny Elfman's more traditional 2002 movie theme and then at the very end of the movie when Miles finally gets his own version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azmkm4lOZK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgyINRHZOE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

That's a nice short.
Good use of comedy with the mirror, too.

Also, super dorky, but apparently making an Original Arachnid Character Do Not Steal (AKA Spidersona) on Twitter is a thing since the movie came out??

It's something that was explicitly pushed on social media as an extension of the movie's "anyone can wear the mask" through line. It's not my thing but making fan characters is the way that some people engage media and both them and the people who made the movie seem to be enjoying it.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/spidersona

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Hungry enough for content that I watched a McDonalds ad just because it had some original animation in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAGEEAAVe44

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

To quote Zangief from Wreck-It Ralph: Just because you are a bad guy, doesn't mean you're a bad guy.

I don't see a dichtomy, at all. He's a chill, easy-going dude who earned his money as a hyper-competent enforcer. He doesn't have to tell Miles about doing dirty jobs to fit that role. In fact, it would make him a worse uncle, because his entire non-Prowler scene is him seeing that Miles is stressed out and helping him find a release. What good would it do to stop all that to say "sometimes you gotta do dirty jobs, kid."

Also, said release involves trespassing and defacing property, so it's not like Uncle Aaron is a goody two-shoes either. He's explicitly on the outs with the policeman father to boot.

The film shows us that Uncle Aaron is a guy who cares about his family and a guy who doesn't really care about the law.

Agreed. If the movie's big message is Anyone Can Wear The Mask then Aaron works to show that it goes both ways. Anyone Can Be The Prowler doesn't have quite the same ring to it though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/NickTyson/status/1083023477127278593

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Rodney Rothman is the director who was directly involved in the screenplay (co-writing it with Lord): most of his previous credits were serving as a writer and/or producer on various tv shows. He also wrote the screenplay to Lord and Miller's 22 Jump Street.

A lot of animation purists have been getting upset about people who traditionally work in live-action being brought on to animated projects on the grounds that they're not as familiar with The Process but honestly it feels more to me like they're just threatened by the fact that the flipside of animation being treated as a medium rather than a genre means the old guard doesn't wield nearly as much power over their isolated little kingdom as they did in the old days. It's like how professional cartoon voice actors complained about movies having live action actors doing voices in movies and now almost everything on TV has one actor for each role instead of Rob Paulsen and his five friends interchangeably voicing everyone on every channel and the shows are much better for it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

Next Spider-Man film directed by Tarantino confirmed

There have been three Spider-man reboots in the time since the last Tarantino movie with a gratuitous foot shot in it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Oh God imagine how awful this movie is gonna look with motion smoothing turned on. So many people are gonna completely miss out on the deliberate skipped frames of animation.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

hiddenriverninja posted:

Aloha Shirt-Man?

They called me...Mr. Grabass.

[John Lasseter would remain at Pixar until 2018. He is currently actively employed in the animation industry.]

DIRECTED BY
M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I mean, Pixar has been having a brain drain problem for years. I think people are just more willing to acknowledge and speak about it since Pixar's esteem has fallen recently and it suits the agenda of people on both sides to point it out, whether it's to frame it as people fleeing a toxic work environment or following their wrongfully excised boss. Same with the Star Wars/Marvel thing, a lot of the scuttlebutt is being perpetuated by angry fanboys who have a vested interest in showing that the people behind the scenes are just as mad as they are.

Sadly due to the lack of transparency and said conflict of interests there really isn't any good source for either beyond anecdotes and totally real "my uncle who works at Nintendo Disney told me..." stories.