Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't know what got a better laugh from me, that or Peter in full costume crying in the shower

For me it was "Sleeeeeeeep"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NmareBfly posted:

One thing we never really get an explanation for is why the collider grabbed spiderpeople specifically -- theoretically, it should have been going for KP's family.

We actually do know that!

The thing homes in on whatever's placed in the beam. During the climax, it's something related to Kingpin's family (I wanna say a hair, but holy poo poo is that segment a visual smorgasbord and I could be mixing it up). That's what starts bringing in Mrs Kingpin and Kingpin Jr.

During the initial test, it was Peter's head, shoved in by Norman. That's why we got spider-folk

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, I gotta say, this movie had the best reveal for Doc Ock. I did not see that coming, at all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And apparently went right through the Prowler's armor, for whatever good that did, but hey.

BTAS really wrote the book on how to work around network censorship and ratings boards.

Bullets! His one weakness...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ya’ll are all as terrible as this movie is great.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

21 Muns posted:

Argh, goddamnit, I heard so many great things about this movie, so I had to see it as an animation fan, and it was amazing on so many levels, but I'm 99% sure that my theater hosed it up and showed the 3D print by mistake. Like five to ten minutes in I popped out of the theater and asked an employee about it, but I was too goony to confidently communicate the issue to her and she thought I was just complaining about it being animated. But there were double-images everywhere; the further out-of-focus something went the more obvious the double-images got and the blurrier they were. I should have known instantly that it was a mistake, and, I mean, I did know instantly that it was a mistake, but I went into denial and tried to convince myself that everything was fine and it was a deliberate art choice to reference comic book misprints, but it was bothering me through the whole movie. Guess I'm going to see it again next week... so maybe it wasn't such a bad thing? :shrug: I did make sure to let the theater know that there was definitely an issue on my way out.

There's a degree of that even in the 2d showings. They layered on a lot of different ways to show depth in this movie: blurred/split lines and an aggressive level-of-detail fade were just a couple of them.

Some people can't get past the blurring/split effect, and I feel that's one of the very few legit criticisms in the movie. Not that I agree (it didn't bother me), but because I can see how it would bother some people.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ah yes, because it is not tragic at all to be held by the throat by your beloved uncle, begging for your life, and just as said uncle starts to realize what’s happening, said uncle gets shot, so you flee with his dying, bleeding body to a filthy back alley where he finally dies in your arms, and then your father appears and blames you

That’s the height of comedy right there.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A Sometimes Food posted:

So a thing I just realised. Aunt May recognised Ock and called her Liv like she says her friends do.

Don't Aunt May and Doc Ock have history in most universes?

Given Spider-Verse May's technical acumen, it's not unreasonable to think they were once friends at some lab. It's also not unreasonable to assume there may be a more personal history, given that things tend to be similar between dimensions and there is, indeed, a romantic link between the two in mainline Spider-Man.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

To quote Zangief from Wreck-It Ralph: Just because you are a bad guy, doesn't mean you're a bad guy.

I don't see a dichtomy, at all. He's a chill, easy-going dude who earned his money as a hyper-competent enforcer. He doesn't have to tell Miles about doing dirty jobs to fit that role. In fact, it would make him a worse uncle, because his entire non-Prowler scene is him seeing that Miles is stressed out and helping him find a release. What good would it do to stop all that to say "sometimes you gotta do dirty jobs, kid."

Also, said release involves trespassing and defacing property, so it's not like Uncle Aaron is a goody two-shoes either. He's explicitly on the outs with the policeman father to boot.

The film shows us that Uncle Aaron is a guy who cares about his family and a guy who doesn't really care about the law.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Other than the sound, my favorite part of Prowler's "feel" was his animation and movement style. He'd go from stock still to full speed and back in an instant. You always got the sense that he was pouncing. That economy of movement made him scarier!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LividLiquid posted:

I finally saw this, and I really loved it, but it super bummed me out that the first movie with Miles as Spider-Man in it had a decidedly mediocre white guy training him and then gatekeeping him, and later giving his blessing all, "you're not a real Spider-Man. Okay, you're a real Spider-Man."

It's less a problem with the flick and more an indictment of where we are as a society.

Did we see the same movie? Peter B was all about hyping up/building up Miles after the Alchemax escape. Before that, Peter barely even believed in himself.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

waah posted:

I'm sure it's somewhere already in this thread but watching this yesterday, it stood out to me when Doc Ock says "My friends call me Liv, my enemies call me Doctor Octavious"

But when the fight goes down at Aunt May's house, Aunt May says, "Hello Liv".

I honestly become more intrigued by Aunt May than I should be for a character who might be on screen for no more than 3 minutes.

I really liked Aunt May in Spider-Verse. She's heavily implied to be a genius-level inventor, what with making Miles' webshooters and all. It's not a big step to think she invented most/all of the stuff in the Spider-lair. She easily could have been a peer or a friend to Liv on that alone. Not to mention the possibility of more-than-friends if her universe had a Ock-and-May romance like the primary comics universe did.

Plus I got a real strong Madame Webb vibe from that quick "what took you so long?" shot when Miles goes back to the Lair. The dialogue, framing, and lighting would not have been out of place for a villain.

Spider-verse May is awesome.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DandyLion posted:

Counter-timed framing?

I don't know what that is, but to me, it's the way he moves.

Prowler's movement is very cat-like. He leaps, he bounds, he pounces, going from stock still to full threat display, claws out, in an instant.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DandyLion posted:

Its when the animation frames skip a frame every other shot in opposite sequence with their surroundings/other characters (for the purpose of making the motions stand out). I thought they even talked about it in the blue ray special features making of vid.

I thought that's what it was, but didn't want to assume!

Peter B and Miles are animated in this way during the Alchemax sequence until they finally, literally get in sync with each other during the final web-swinging lesson.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

May looks villain as gently caress in that scene where Miles goes back to the Spider-Lair and she's sippin' tea.

Between that, the fact that she invents Spidey's gear ("Made them myself."), and the fact that she knows Ock as "Liv" really give credence to the possibility that she and Liv have a history together. They certainly have a lot in common.

It's just that Liv is a murderous super-villain and May, well, May just beats the poo poo out of Tombstone with a baseball bat.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Currently rewatching the movie for the umpteenth time, and I just need to say how much I love Liv. Her "secret identity" is just perfect, what with the big hair and the nerdy glasses. It's such a great moment when she does up her hair and it all falls into place.

One thing that I haven't seen much talk about is how chatty she is during the fights. She is basically trash talking Peter all through the laboratory fight, and it's kinda unnerving because she is so condescending.

I love her chattiness. She's kind of like traditional Spidey in that she never stops talking.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

They used the Stan lee mode everywhere. It’s in the background of a ton of shots, particularly on trains.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The 4k UHD Blu-Ray of this is currently $12 on Amazon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Omg having the Spot in a movie with Spiderverse levels of animation and personality is going to be so much fun.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ooh, Spiders-man!

Where! I can’t pick him out

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I feel like the Spider-Rumble and Miguel drama will all be part of a plot that brings Miles down to a "no more Spider-Man" moment that he later recovers from in stellar fashion. Everything we've seen so far appears to be from the first third of the movie or so, in my eyes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Captain Invictus posted:

I should really watch the first one again. I just heard someone say "remember when miles got bitten by the spider in the first movie, and it glitched out right before? huh, wasn't that WEIRD?!" and man that's so true, I completely forgot about that, and I'm sure there's tons of other little foreshadowing tidbits.

gently caress how did I not catch that?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macaluso posted:

There's also the thing I've seen brought up alot, which is when Miles and his universe's Peter meet for the first time after Miles has been bitten, they both do a spidey sense thing at each other, but Miles' spidey sense colors start off green and purple and then fade into red and blue.

That's true, and I always took that as meaning that meeting Peter changed Miles from a future villain (who are coded green/purple a lot) to a hero (red/blue)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The score is incredible. It’s got callbacks and motifs all over the drat place.

Spot’s theme is a remix of the collider theme from the first, for example.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Remember in Wreck-It Ralph when Zangief says "just because you are bad guy doesn't mean you are bad guy"?

Miguel is a bad guy but not a bad guy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I hope aunt May is in the earth-42 universe as a member of the sinister six

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Give us Spiders-Man or we riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spiders-Man is a pile of spiders who collectively think they are Peter Parker.

I love spiders man.