Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This movie was great and I want more of it. The visual style was fantastic and truly a comic in film. I'm excited for more of this style and the spider verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Once upon a time BotL would have been banned for that bullshit attack on a kid enjoying a hero that looks like him. Those days were great just like this movie was.

I think that there can be some debate about the arc that Miles undergoes, but his story was never Peter's and doesn't have to mirror that one exactly to be a good one. Uncle Aaron dying because he chose to be a villainous lackey isn't directly Mile's fault, but the guilt Miles feels about how he died is very real and tangible whether he should feel it objectively or not. Which I think is the point the spider people want to impress upon him (the whole getting back up again, choosing to be a force for good etc through lines). Some kind of loss powers them all and it doesn't matter if it didn't come in the same shape or size as theirs. They empathize with the fact that becoming spider man cost him someone he really cared about, none of them chose that either, and that helps him realize he can be one of them too.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Just to be absolutely clear, this is the exchange you're talking about :

Strongly agreed. Absolutely banworthy, shocking stuff

Just to be clear, the forums used to ban people for empty posting, and linking to offsite image hosting. All I'm saying is his response was super lovely and denigrating to the kid in the effort to make some "smart sounding" point about consumerism. The movie was enjoyable, we should celebrate the kids that enjoyed it, that saw the magic that we all should want to see in a good super hero film. Especially one with a POC who might be easier/exciting for them to engage with.

You were here when the forums were ban happy, I'm just saying that kind of schtick got your rear end banned back in the day because it makes the forums worse. I can't believe anyone is trying to defend that poo poo posting.

FWIW i avoided the Black Panther thread so I can't bring that baggage with me.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 7, 2019