Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It was a long time ago, but it was some kind of "restored" anniversary hack I was playing, probably a popular one.

Right now, I have been measing with RetroPie, is this the right place to complain? The 8bitdo SN3+ Pro controller lags like 30 seconds to startband close an emulator. I just installed the latest firmware, this is really lovely. I heard to use a 8bitdo retro receiver but I don't even know wtf that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Masakado posted:

That story's such a shame for a number of reasons -- the fans harassed him over getting Shin Megami Tensei If out, which isn't a very good game in the first place, and it wasn't even his fault that it took so long. (It was largely mine--I was the main translator on that project and I dragged my rear end on getting him the script because it wasn't really fun to do, and at the time my free time dropped off a cliff) It must have been really bad because Gideon was always really patient in general. He also had Majin Tensei fully dumped-and-translated too so the toxic fans prevented themselves from getting an additional SMT game.

There's also the time component combined with a lot of the most prolific hackers/translators getting older. Translating large scripts is very time consuming and hacking them in so they work doubly so! Back in my 20s I had plenty of time to waste on that sort of thing but between my job and kids now I don't have that luxury. For romhackers I imagine it's even worse--there are always plenty of new translators but I wonder how many people are interested in learning ASM for a console that they're not even old enough to remember.

I think my username gives it away, but I've a massive amount of respect for the work that y'all did with regards to translating Shin Megami Tensei. Many a night in high school was spent using ZSNES to explore Kichijoji (which reminds me - in P5R when you are also in Kichijoji, the fact that a remix of the SMT1 Act 1 Tokyo world map music starts playing made me internally squeal with joy) and having my mind blown by a JRPG that actually allowed you to make a choice that significantly altered the game. I never had the right skillset/got inspired enough to use my Japanese skills to try my hand at translating a game, but if I had your team would be entirely to blame :)

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

excellent bird guy posted:

It was a long time ago, but it was some kind of "restored" anniversary hack I was playing, probably a popular one.

Right now, I have been measing with RetroPie, is this the right place to complain? The 8bitdo SN3+ Pro controller lags like 30 seconds to startband close an emulator. I just installed the latest firmware, this is really lovely. I heard to use a 8bitdo retro receiver but I don't even know wtf that is

To fix it, type these three lines at the command line:
code:
git clone https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo.git
cd xpadneo
sudo ./install.sh
then reboot and it should work.

Masakado
Aug 6, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

I think my username gives it away, but I've a massive amount of respect for the work that y'all did with regards to translating Shin Megami Tensei. Many a night in high school was spent using ZSNES to explore Kichijoji (which reminds me - in P5R when you are also in Kichijoji, the fact that a remix of the SMT1 Act 1 Tokyo world map music starts playing made me internally squeal with joy) and having my mind blown by a JRPG that actually allowed you to make a choice that significantly altered the game. I never had the right skillset/got inspired enough to use my Japanese skills to try my hand at translating a game, but if I had your team would be entirely to blame :)

Gideon definitely worked a lot of voodoo to get the SMT translations done--SMT1 in particular had control codes interspersed throughout the text. E.g. you had things like event triggers in the text that had to be coded around. To actually test the thing he had multiple testers play each of the alignment paths to make sure it worked. (none of the Law testers made it to the end, which is why the initial patch was unwinnable--one of those event triggers got broken) SMT2 and If...were even more bizarre because all of the negotiation dialogue was broken up into a million sentence fragments that had to be pieced back together--and since Japanese word order is radically different than English (it goes Subject, Object, Verb instead of Subject, Verb, Object) that had to be accounted for. I'm always impressed by the reverse-engineering talent that romhackers have in general.

The SMT translations though...eh, to be honest they're not great. They're clunky, and SMT2 in particular is not all that accurate since I did it in a weird way. I'm proficient enough in English/Japanese but not a good writer which is just as important. What I've seen of official translation of SMT1 is way better, though basically unplayable nowadays. (It's a 32-bit only iOS title that I think was pulled from the App store)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Metal Max 3 got a fan translation!

https://metaldreamers.redhook.duckdns.org/metal-max-3-english-translation/

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Oh my god, this is wonderful. I remember playing the one SFC game that got translated and it was a good time.

Meanwhile I'm eternally waiting for someone to translate Racing Lagoon :smith:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=27945.0

This appears to be mashup of SMB3 elements and stages into SMB1, complete with a map, raccoon leaf and mini-games. Requires a custom emulator to play.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

madlobster posted:

To fix it, type these three lines at the command line:
code:
git clone [url]https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo.git[/url]
cd xpadneo
sudo ./install.sh
then reboot and it should work.

Thanks! I updated the firmware on that controller and now it won't even charge. I don't really care anymore. HORI fighting commander, and retro-bit tribute64 fill most needs, except one.

But hey, what might you say is a good controller for Dreamcast? It's got to have a wire for pete's sake, I'm not going through this ever again. A connected wire.

I've got retroarch on an arch linux desktop and it's running pretty well. It'd be cool to get Emulationstation going, and a huge collection of romhacks to browse.

Also: I've been waiting for HS to finish Mother 1 romhack of Earthbound for about 10 years now. I think he could have used better tooling than an Assembly hex editor or whatever. It's like he's moving every grain of the beach-sand with a pair of tweezers while everyone 'is still really excited.'

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 30, 2020

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Retro Fighters just dropped the Striker DC. I haven't tried mine out yet, but the N64 one they did is nice.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Have there been any recent technical achievements with the NES?

I came across this Sonic the Hedgehog game that's essentially a fixed version of Somari, and I was blown away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWNjgEupyQY

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 3, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow that’s super impressive! Got a link?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wow that’s super impressive! Got a link?

I believe it's this one.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1280010569605677057?s=21

Huh. If Square was cool, they’d license Gideon Zhi’s fan translation (it wouldn’t be his first hack to get licensed). But it’s probably gonna just be a modern remake that I’ll have zero interest in.

Still, it gives me an excuse to again plug Gideon’s translation. It’s one of my personal favorites and I go back and replay it every few years.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ballz posted:

But it’s probably gonna just be a modern remake that I’ll have zero interest in.

I dunno, they did right with the SaGa games recently and Trials of Mana on the collection.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

kirbysuperstar posted:

I dunno, they did right with the SaGa games recently and Trials of Mana on the collection.

I just couldn’t get into them, but maybe that’s more because I’m perpetually stuck in the 16-bit era.

https://twitter.com/gideonzhi/status/1280175342284488708?s=21

It’s a total long shot, but still worth noting he has gotten his work officially licensed before.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised if any official Live A Live localization was done by the same folks who did Trials of Mana's. I think that was Square-Enix's localization division doing the text (apparently with the stated goal of "showing up" the old fan translation!) and M2 doing the code side? I know they had to get Nintendo involved, to help set up their old SNES dev poo poo...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/qwertymodo/status/1281075126134398976?s=21

There’s already a patch out that works on emulators but now he’s working on a patch that’ll play on real hardware (sd2snes)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ballz posted:

https://twitter.com/qwertymodo/status/1281075126134398976?s=21

There’s already a patch out that works on emulators but now he’s working on a patch that’ll play on real hardware (sd2snes)

Does it still have the screen skip glitch?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Does it still have the screen skip glitch?
It was the DX release that nixed it in the first place so I'd imagine not

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pretty good posted:

It was the DX release that nixed it in the first place so I'd imagine not

Worthless then.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Skwirl posted:

Worthless then.

I didn't even know what it was until you asked about it, so no big loss for me I guess. :shrug:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

The Kins posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if any official Live A Live localization was done by the same folks who did Trials of Mana's. I think that was Square-Enix's localization division doing the text (apparently with the stated goal of "showing up" the old fan translation!) and M2 doing the code side? I know they had to get Nintendo involved, to help set up their old SNES dev poo poo...

They succeeded - I don’t think I’ve ever seen high res mode used for text in an RPG
It’s like the SNES has to change graphics mode midway through rendering the screen

E: for some reason Imgur only wants to post thumbnails..

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 9, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Coffee Jones posted:

They succeeded - I don’t think I’ve ever seen high res mode used for text in an RPG
It’s like the SNES has to change graphics mode midway through rendering the screen

E: for some reason Imgur only wants to post thumbnails..

Gotta take out the _d from the URL due to the way you got them, I guess

Although those are small images to begin with

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

NintendoLife:

quote:

It was quite involved so, after we took on this process, it took about a year just to work on that. Getting the code from SNES and first of all, what they have to work on was that they had to work with the ROM capacity not being enough.

When we went to try and revisit the development environment that the SNES had back in the day, we actually had to reach out and get cooperation from Nintendo as well. We had to expand the capacity and also the fonts; the original version used proportional fonts or fixed fonts so we had to address that. Also, for some of the European languages, it was very difficult to incorporate [text] because of the code. It may feel pretty natural and you pick it up and just play, but actually, behind the scenes, there’s a lot going on and there was a lot of effort put into it.
On the plus side, since Collection of mana was already on a multi-gigabyte Switch cart, increasing the SNES ROM size would have been considerably easier (or at least, considerably less expensive) than it would have been back in the SNES days, giving the translators way more room to breathe than Woolsey ever had...

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Wasn't that the issue way back in the day with the original fan translations? I was a kid so I didn't understand it too well, but I remember attempts at patches before Neill Corlett's doing all kinds of funky stuff to expand the size of the rom to try and cram the text in, and how Corlett's patch was a pretty big technical achievement at the time even though they also weren't limited by the size of an actual snes cart.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Phone posting:

I half remember stuff too... the original game has its own text compression, so they have to reverse engineer it and maybe rewrite it and store the recompressed text data back on the rom.
I guess the big deal was that previous attempts expanded the rom to 6MB while their hack kept it at 4.
Sd3 translation can be burned onto a rom chip and played on an actual SNES.

Now, the M2 Trials release expanded the ROM to 6 MB. Square took a lot more liberties in the localization so there’s a lot more text there.

I’m really curious if anyone has been able to get Trials running on actual hardware. It plays fine in BSNES.
An NES rom is more like two binary blobs for program and data, PRG and CHR that are hard wired to the CPU and PPU. So I don’t know what would be involved in getting Trials onto roms with a board that can run it.

Edit: ah found a YouTube vid of Trials running on real hardware

It’s a shame Romancing Saga 3’s translation didn’t go this route. IIRC it’s a Unity app.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 9, 2020

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah with the exception of Super Mario 64 hacks on N64, pretty much every ROMhack that's still running native console code will work on that console's hardware. It might be a pain if the game is particularly large and/or leverages special chips, but it'll work if the cart is put together right, or if you just put the ROM as-is on a compatible flash cart.

In some cases you can dump text from a different source and port them back into the original ROM version, but due to craziness that can be required for expanding the ROM or reprogramming how text works that can be a serious challenge to do. I tried to do this with Final Fantasy VI by taking the GBA port's text and putting it back into the SNES cart but there just isn't normally the space to work with to make that happen, it would take some significant reprogramming that I don't have the skillset for.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 9, 2020

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I definitely have ZSNES nostalgia too... playing FF6 at sub 10 FPS on a 486DX ftw

On a pentium 133 it was always a balancing act - do I want full frame rate, sound, or a slightly broken screen because of no transparency effects? Later versions let you switch between a new and old graphics emulator that helped.

On a pentium II 300 MHz turn it all on, you’re more or less getting a full 60 FPS.

486 ... oof. ... Nesticle and probably Genecyst :v:

Had a similar experience with MAME and Crusin USA on a Core 2 Duo or something I got a frame every other second, I tried again on recent hardware and, eh, locked 60 on a modern accuracy focused MAME, none of this is of any concern.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Back when all I knew to use was Nesticle, I'd first try out Contra and listen to how the explosions sounded when you killed enemies. Instead of sounding right it was just a weird noise. Same sound would pop in Punch Out as well.

It was an easy fix, I just had an old version and needed to update it. Just that I tended to download the older versions whenever I had to redownload stuff again.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I will always remember the weird way wind sounded in FF6 on emulators even though it's been fixed for 15 plus years.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I'm always going to remember having to set up an input macro to get past a bit in chrono trigger becuase it wouldn't recognize 3 simultaneous inputs on a keyboard.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You just had to set them to modifier keys.

Which I will also always remember.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Darkoni posted:

I'm always going to remember having to set up an input macro to get past a bit in chrono trigger becuase it wouldn't recognize 3 simultaneous inputs on a keyboard.

Yeah the password in 2300 AD. I was stuck there too on ZSNES

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The passwords didn't need simultaneous inputs. Just x a b y in order. Or l a r a later on.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The passwords didn't need simultaneous inputs. Just x a b y in order. Or l a r a later on.

Nah, this was the first one, where you had to hold L and R and press A.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Oh yeah; forgot all about that one at the main door.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I remember doing the Mist Cave in FF4 completely blind as I didn't realise you could turn off layers at the time.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

chiefnewo posted:

I remember doing the Mist Cave in FF4 completely blind as I didn't realise you could turn off layers at the time.

I have this exact same memory.

I remember my mind being blown that there was a Final Fantasy V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

chiefnewo posted:

That FFV sunken ship was the same drat situation and I just brute-forced it with a friend. At the time, you couldn't just use layer controls.