Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

That sounds like something I'd want to check out, do you remember the name of it?

It's probably the Bokuno or aabeta patch in this case, though my experience with SaGa isn't really deep enough to confirm which one specifically was being talked about.

Also, just as a general recommendation for something to try, Treasure of the Rudras (Rudra no Hihou) for the SNES is a pretty interesting game to check out.

The main draw for it (which was carried over to English as well in the fan translation as well via wizardry) is that you get to create your own "Mantras" with letters for use as spells. Which boils down to coming up with a bunch of words, then seeing what effects you end up with, or if you can even afford to cast them yet based on what was entered. If you enjoy SNES era RPGs, I'd definitely say to give it a shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arc Impulse posted:

It's probably the Bokuno or aabeta patch in this case, though my experience with SaGa isn't really deep enough to confirm which one specifically was being talked about.

Also, just as a general recommendation for something to try, Treasure of the Rudras (Rudra no Hihou) for the SNES is a pretty interesting game to check out.

The main draw for it (which was carried over to English as well in the fan translation as well via wizardry) is that you get to create your own "Mantras" with letters for use as spells. Which boils down to coming up with a bunch of words, then seeing what effects you end up with, or if you can even afford to cast them yet based on what was entered. If you enjoy SNES era RPGs, I'd definitely say to give it a shot!

I can also recommend this one. Never beat it, but that stemmed more from a hard drive imploding. Let your vocabulary murder your foes.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What’s the state of Saturn emulation these days? Shining Force and Policenauts both intrigue me but I don’t have an actual Saturn to play on.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Quite good, actually. Retroarch and Bizhawk (I think) come with a Mednafen core that emulates Saturn relatively well. SSF is an older emulator that does a decent job. You just can't use a smartphone or ancient PC. Both are geared towards multi-core x86 chips.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

That sounds like something I'd want to check out, do you remember the name of it?

It's called something like the Bokuno or Boku No Hack. If you look on Youtube, there's a lot of videos by a user named wanbetor that shows it off. I think there's another one that this one is forked from, but I'm not sure?

Anywho, I guess I'm going to make a content post about a niche set of patches known as Hardtype hacks. These really hit their stride around 2011 and 2012, but haven't really been heard from since. If you've heard about Final Fantasy Tactics - Insane Difficulty, you know what I'm talking about.

Essentially, these hacks are about rebalancing and tweaking abilities, classes, and enemies to present a greater challenge to what would be considered "seasoned veterans" of console RPGs. These hacks are of varying quality, from simply doubling the HP on the monsters, to well-thought out overhauls that provide a brand new way to play an old game.

I'd recommend Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 - Insane Difficulty (or its Content Only hack if you're just in it to see the other changes,) Final Fantasy VI: Brave New World, or Super Mario RPG: Armageddon for a taste of what these kinds of hacks offer.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
This is a great thread. I have fond memories of discovering and playing the FF5 and FF4j translations back in the early days of emulators.

Speaking of BS Zelda, Tomato and Poe did a run of it on Poemato CX that was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqAR-TVudVw

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

azurite posted:

Quite good, actually. Retroarch and Bizhawk (I think) come with a Mednafen core that emulates Saturn relatively well. SSF is an older emulator that does a decent job. You just can't use a smartphone or ancient PC. Both are geared towards multi-core x86 chips.

That's great to hear, but unfortunately my PC is on the ancient side of things. I'll probably get a new one sometime next year, but my dream is that something like the Playstation Classic or the Analogue Super NT gets hacked to the point where something like Retroarch with Saturn support can be played off it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Isn't retroarch some sort of hilarious command line only emulator, that requires you to download a bunch of modules to make work?

I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but I remember looking into it a couple of years ago and just walking away confused on how it was actually supposed to work.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It has a GUI (it's not good) and you download the modules from inside the program. I mostly prefer using mednafen on its own, which is awkward itself but at least I don't have to fight retroarch's UI.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, dealing with RetroArch is what pushed me into the whole 'upgrading console output' thing. The UI has a learning curve and fighting every other emulator to get other stuff running drove me nuts. The only ones I actually like are Dolphin and the various SNES emulators.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
You want to use Emulation Station

https://emulationstation.org/

It's what the Retropie uses and it has a installer for Windows/Linux.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like BizHawk because it does the multi-emulator thing like RetroArch does but it has a normal Windows interface that doesn't drive me prodromal. It's technically designed for building TASes but it works perfectly well as a normal emulator and has good cores based on Mednafen, higan, etc.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Ballz posted:

That's great to hear, but unfortunately my PC is on the ancient side of things. I'll probably get a new one sometime next year, but my dream is that something like the Playstation Classic or the Analogue Super NT gets hacked to the point where something like Retroarch with Saturn support can be played off it.

PS Classic might get generic emulator support, if it hasn’t already publicly, but Analogue’s projects use closed source FPGA cores. There is an open source project called MiSTer that targets a specific hardware FPGA platform, and there is preliminary work for Saturn being worked on. It’s going to be a while, but there’s been incredible rapid progress being made lately with MiSTer cores.

I should mention that hacks and translations don’t always work on original hardware, or clones like FPGA platforms. Many of the hacks/translations were developed using inaccurate emulators, especially early projects in the late 90s.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

UnhandledException posted:

I should mention that hacks and translations don’t always work on original hardware, or clones like FPGA platforms. Many of the hacks/translations were developed using inaccurate emulators, especially early projects in the late 90s.

This isn't that common but definitely does occur, with a chief one being the vast majority of "new levels"-style Super Mario 64 hacks (generally you're OK with the ones that do graphical changes only, or that 2-player hack)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

New sd2snes firmware is out, officially adding SA-1 support:

https://twitter.com/stoneagegamer/status/1075031092019781633?s=21

The caveat for SA-1 working is that it can’t do MSU hacks for it. So if you were hoping to play Super Mario RPG MSU, you’ll have to stick with emulators.

I’m still hoping a future update will get Tengai Makyou Zero and its English translation working. :pray:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I thought it was cool they got TMZ working on the SNES Classic. I like my classic a lot for various romhacks and it's also not 200 bucks like an SD2SNES is.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Echophonic posted:

I thought it was cool they got TMZ working on the SNES Classic. I like my classic a lot for various romhacks and it's also not 200 bucks like an SD2SNES is.

Wait, they did?! How have I not heard about this!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ballz posted:

Wait, they did?! How have I not heard about this!

Here's the guide I used on mine last year. I'm sure the new cores probably just work, this was when they were first hacking snes9x to run certain games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/79032y/how_to_get_tengai_makyou_zero_aka_far_east_of/

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

No luck. Installed the latest snes9x core from that link and all I get is a black screen for a few seconds before spitting me back to the main menu.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Found this and sounds identical to your issue, maybe it's just something weird with the command line or a second install of SNES9x?

https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/8u4xl1/need_help_getting_tengai_makyou_zero_far_east_of/

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I submit to you, the best rom hack ever:

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgnLMrlx0tk :nws:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Little Mac still has clothes. 5/10

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Lowen SoDium posted:

I submit to you, the best rom hack ever:

:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgnLMrlx0tk :nws:

Thread had a good run, thanks guys.

So uh, any Super Robot Wars fans out there?

https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/1075880218550652928

Gideon and his pals have pretty much been single-handedly bringing them to an English audience for about 15 years now. This is a pretty impressive accomplishment.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Nice thread OP!

There's a few fan translations that I've been waiting ages for...namely the elusive Zero no Kiseki translation from The Geofront (about 70% done now) and the English patch for the Persona 2 Eternal Punishment on PSP (We got the first half of the pair of the PSP remakes, but are stuck with the PS1 version for Eternal Punishment.
Another one I wish people cared about would be translating the PSP ports of Suikoden I and II, perhaps even with an updated script, but I don't know that anybody is working on those.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BexGu posted:

You want to use Emulation Station

https://emulationstation.org/

It's what the Retropie uses and it has a installer for Windows/Linux.

Related - if you want the scripts and preconfiguration for systems like a retropie setup has, look into RetroCake. Runs on Windows, acts like Retropie, fuckin' owns

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this just came out recently, haven't had chance it play it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5gkw1uQNw8

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
so hyped for this thread

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pegnose Pete posted:

Nice thread OP!

There's a few fan translations that I've been waiting ages for...namely the elusive Zero no Kiseki translation from The Geofront (about 70% done now) and the English patch for the Persona 2 Eternal Punishment on PSP (We got the first half of the pair of the PSP remakes, but are stuck with the PS1 version for Eternal Punishment.
Another one I wish people cared about would be translating the PSP ports of Suikoden I and II, perhaps even with an updated script, but I don't know that anybody is working on those.

Same. The Geofront folks are doing some good stuff, and I'm holding off on playing Zero until their patch comes out. After I get a decent gist of Crossbell stuff from that, risking the unpolished Ao patch might be a bit easier with better context to work off of.

On the topic of Suikoden, considering the PSP port looks to be a straight one with no extra content or major gameplay changes, it probably flies low on a lot of folks lists for games to work on. The first two games could probably do with some sort of editing patch in general though, considering how shaky things got at times (like "Joey" in Suikoden 2). There is a bugfix patch for the PS1 version of Suikoden 2 though, hosted over at https://github.com/pyriell/gs2-bugfixes, which helps to smooth over some of the rough edges it has in places.

Vikar Jerome posted:

this just came out recently, haven't had chance it play it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5gkw1uQNw8

Considering how big Mario modding is, I'm actually fairly surprised that this one hadn't been done before now that I actually think about it.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

I finally wrapped up the 7th Dragon series this year, and I am happy about it.

Arc Impulse posted:

On the topic of Suikoden, considering the PSP port looks to be a straight one with no extra content or major gameplay changes, it probably flies low on a lot of folks lists for games to work on. The first two games could probably do with some sort of editing patch in general though, considering how shaky things got at times (like "Joey" in Suikoden 2). There is a bugfix patch for the PS1 version of Suikoden 2 though, hosted over at https://github.com/pyriell/gs2-bugfixes, which helps to smooth over some of the rough edges it has in places.

Yeah, as the programmer for the other Suikoden translations, this is pretty much correct. I think a Suikoden II retranslation and even the standalone PSP title are higher priorities.

There actually are slightly enhanced versions of both Suikoden & Suikoden II available... the Sega Saturn version of Suikoden and the Chinese PC port(?!) of Suikoden II. But those would be plenty of work to break apart too.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Arc Impulse posted:

Considering how big Mario modding is, I'm actually fairly surprised that this one hadn't been done before now that I actually think about it.

Hell, I’m surprised Kaze didn’t do it sooner. He’s a SM64 romhacking monster.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Anyone know of a decent PC 98 emulator? Last time I looked, the only one available seemed like a pain in the rear end to configure.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Anyone know of a decent PC 98 emulator? Last time I looked, the only one available seemed like a pain in the rear end to configure.

Found this on NeoGAF

quote:

The main emulator de jour for PC-98 is Neko Project II fmgen, which has overall best compatibility and runs on recent Windows OSes. Only use T-98Next and Anex86 for edge cases (latter has very useful floppy-disk utility though).

I got an official from-EA Japanese Ultima collection about 10-12 years ago and it came with Anex86 for the Japanese versions of Ultima 1-6.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A couple of Christmas gifts for this thread...

https://twitter.com/GideonZhi/status/1077336248400789505

If you're into Super Robot Wars, 2018 has been a stellar year for you. Earlier this year saw AGTP releasing Super Robot Wars Gaiden: The Elemental Lords and now EX is out. Both games had been in the works for years, so it's pretty cool to see them both make it out in short order. Gideon is now updating his translation for SRW3, which he originally released way back in 2002. He's come a long way since then.

And next this isn't strictly rom hack/translation related but I feel like this is still in our collective wheelhouse:

https://twitter.com/GameHistoryOrg/status/1077588947390418945

Sim City. Now playable on the NES.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Neko Project II seems to be the main go-to for it yeah. I'd probably go by this guide if you're setting things up from scratch:
https://46okumen.com/pc-98-emulation/

The 46 OkuMen folks have been doing a lot of PC-98 translation stuff recently, so their guide is probably one of the handier ones around because of that alone. I've not followed it myself though as a heads up, but it at least covers getting a replacement font for better readability of the western alphabet, which may not be covered in other guides elsewhere (afaik, the system uses the system font for more or less everything, which is why this is even a thing).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah Neko Project II is what you want. There's..a few different variants out there, most people use the FMGEN version.

If you really wanna get weird, there's a variant (NP2TH) that hooks the system's standard text buffer to Windows-memory readable strings, so you can hook it up to something like AGTH. Stuff that uses custom text printing systems probably won't work with it, but hey.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Thanks for the info.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Ballz posted:

Sim City. Now playable on the NES.

To make it more relevant to the thread, where is the patch they mentioned that adds back the missing features?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So been trying out some Rom Hacks lately and found a really good one for people to try:

Mega Man 4 Voyage

A Rom Hack of Mega Man 4 that completely changes level layout/Robot Master AI and interactions for a fun and challenging little game. And the best part is that its not ball busting hard like most Mega Man Rom Hacks! The author actually does the smart thing and start off small with each stages gimmick (usually a simple room that demo what it is) before ramping the different scenarios. The Robot Master AI and gimmicks are greatly improved to create interesting fights without going overboard. I haven't completed the whole game yet but its worth your time to give it a chance if you enjoy Mega Man games.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

UnhandledException posted:

To make it more relevant to the thread, where is the patch they mentioned that adds back the missing features?

I’m not sure if a patch is out yet, but here’s a github page of work being done to fix bugs and restore content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
An english translation for Ihatovo Monogatari is out! https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4116/

It's an adventure game for the Super Famicom based on the Japanese writer Kenji Miyazawa.

I'm really surprised sinced the game is so obscure. The is a drat good year for fan translation releases.