Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tac Dibar posted:

Can someone please update Castlevania for the c64? The existing one is a surprisingly faithful conversion, especially compared to the godawful Amiga version. However, the music is a wasted opportunity what with the potential awesomeness of the sid chip. The soundtrack is pretty lame, and on top of that the whip sound breaks the melody channel, not the bass line, which is dumb.

Instead, it would be cool to have something more in the style of this mashup:

https://m.soundcloud.com/cheep-the-peanut-boy/vampkill-bloodtear-c64

It literally now just occurred to me that you could use SoundCloud to pirate cassette based software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
drat One Vision is hard.

Faced against Vyce in Chapter 2, not the 1v1 duel but with an army.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know much about Ogre Battle but it's cool that even the Rom Hack names keep the Queen song naming conventions.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Can someone do a hack of Let Us Cling Together where the camera is always zoomed out? The graphics look so blurry and poorly scaled during the dialog scenes, but thankfully once gameplay starts I can zoom the camera out back to native res.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Is there a reason you would play that over the NES version?

I mean, why play any conversion? It would be cool to be able to play a good version of Castlevania on the c64 because of the unique palette and soundscape of the system. Similar to how there now is a new Ghosts n Goblins remake for the system.

https://youtu.be/WNfS5NUohtM

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
The Silent Hill Play Novel(or Play Novel: Silent Hill) for GBA finally got an English patch (I know there's been a fan translation around for years but this is the first time it's been patched into the original rom as far as I'm aware). This has always intrigued me because it has separate playable scenarios for Harry & Cybil, which fits with the old fan theory that SH1 was originally going to have two scenarios a la Resident Evil but which ended getting combined into one due to time/budget reasons. Be interested to see if this contains any clues to what was in the supposedly cut content.

I mean, I guess I could've found this out years ago if I'd played the weird Adobe Flash version someone made, but...ehh.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5862/

Shame the bonus download content is officially lost media now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't know much about Ogre Battle but it's cool that even the Rom Hack names keep the Queen song naming conventions.

Well the series itself abandonned it when Matsuno left the company. Someone's gotta keep it going.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Maelstache posted:

The Silent Hill Play Novel(or Play Novel: Silent Hill) for GBA finally got an English patch (I know there's been a fan translation around for years but this is the first time it's been patched into the original rom as far as I'm aware). This has always intrigued me because it has separate playable scenarios for Harry & Cybil, which fits with the old fan theory that SH1 was originally going to have two scenarios a la Resident Evil but which ended getting combined into one due to time/budget reasons. Be interested to see if this contains any clues to what was in the supposedly cut content.

I mean, I guess I could've found this out years ago if I'd played the weird Adobe Flash version someone made, but...ehh.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5862/

Shame the bonus download content is officially lost media now.

Oh poo poo, that's rad. The flash version was ah, pretty bad and I always liked the idea of it so I'll give that a read, thank you.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I wrote a couple articles about how I hacked Super Monkey Ball for GameCube to try to balance its scoring algorithm, thought y'all might find them interesting:

Part 1 - Using the Dolphin debugger to find the player's score in RAM and alter the score value rewarded for collecting bananas.

Part 2 - Using Ghidra to decompile the level completion scoring routine and hack it to reward fewer points for finishing at the Green and Red exits.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember reading a few months back that someone extracted the Trials of Mana SNES ROM from the Switch collection game. On top of that, someone modified the game so it didn't run in hi-res mode, and adjusted the text/font so all the text would still fit on the screen.

I've been googling for 2 days and can't find this anywhere. Does anyone know where to obtain this? I own Collection of Mana but I want to play it on my RG-350 and my real SNES.

I was able to find the Trials of Mana ROM rip just fine, and even one with 3 player mode patched in. I just can't find the version where it runs in low-res (256×224) instead of hi-res (512x448). I have been looking for literally days.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

http://ngplus.net/index.php?/forums/topic/1119-t-edition-english-lua-version-requires-windowswine-snes9x-rr/

this post is by the lua script guy and has pretty detailed instructions for everything you'll need, and when you get the romhack itself, the translator has made the HTML guide the hack's developer prepared into English. if you need any help, there's a channel for the English T-Edition effort on NGPlus' Discord. you can PM me, as well, although I've only just gotten to the World of Ruin myself

Is there any chance this will ever be playable on real hardware?

I am really intrigued by a New Game+ for FF6, and I was stoked when I found out the Android port has it. But when I tried it, it seemed like all it did was bring you back to the airship with just Setzer? Kefka is still alive so it's not like one of those cool Earthbound endings where you get to see townspeople saying different things after the game or anything. Or did I miss something?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 12, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am on day 3 of trying to find the romhack for Trials of Mana that makes the text large (runs in low-res mode instead of hi-res mode). I don't know what the hell is wrong with my googling ability but I cannot find this anywhere, and I am almost positive I didn't make this up in my head.

The text is virtually impossible to read on emulators; at least on the devices I am using.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Are you sure this is actually a new patch based on the ripped Trials of Mana ROM, and not just the original Seiken Densetsu 3 English translation patch from like 20+ years ago?

Fan patch from 2000:

Official Trials of Mana ROM:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Nope, it was the newly-dumped officially-translated rom, but with a font that looked like the one in your top image. I am positive I didn't dream it. I am guessing I am having such a tough time finding it because it's officially translated text so sites like RomHacking.net do not want to host it? I am dying to get ahold of it.

It's really difficult to google because all I get in the results are people trying to get the PS4 3-d remake to run in different resolutions. I tried duckduckgo and bing, too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.fantasyanime.com/mana/som2downloads.htm
?

Edit: also found this one, but it's for Secret of Mana. http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/som/shots.html

Imagined fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 13, 2021

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

The SNES changes resolution to 512x224 mid-frame to render that text window. Can't change the width and have backgrounds and sprites appear alongside it. :q:

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 13, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I appreciate it but I saw that site already and it only has the old school english translation and the official Trials of Mana translation. Nothing about the official translation with the readable font.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This is why you need that 480p LCD uncle. Namaste

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I did a lot of digging but everything I'm finding seems to paint this as a false memory you might be having.

This kind of update wouldn't have been trivial to implement especially on a ROM that's already operating very weirdly at above 4 megs (weird stuff happens beyond this size for the ROM to still stay spec-compliant), and it seems really odd that there's basically no mention of this even existing anywhere if it were true (nothing on romhacking.net or gbatemp that I can find), and the purpose behind it is pretty minimal in use, since it's only for emulator scenarios hardcore ROM hackers don't care about (i.e. sub-perfect emulators), and in this case you do have an option with larger (but different) text. I found a "nongoodSNES" set from December 2020 and there isn't anything in there when there likely would be. I can't even find a script dump of the new version or tools relating to that.

Can you remember any other helpful details? A range of time when you would have seen this, what kinds of sites you visit where you might have come across this?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I did some reading on it and it may not be a patch. The condensed view for text is apparently because “the game uses a higher resolution to display text” but in that same thread someone mentions you can use some emulator or something settings to make it display in the same resolution 100% of the time, giving you the desired result.

I guess, depending on the hardware you use, it can’t make the resolution larger while displaying text, but that seems like...a lot for a game to even bother with.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Actually what that thread is describing is a bit different, and they're discussing forcing the emulator to always run with the higher resolution enabled, whereas the problem here is needing the opposite (always running at the lower resolution)

What happens with the game on hardware not well-suited for it (like, for example, a 3DS, where it's only 240p with square pixels) is that it still works and renders as shown but with less pixels, and is difficult to read as a result. The only solution would require somehow enlarging the text but that would break out of where it's meant to render without more extensive work like what you see for the original 2000 English patch where the text box is larger and stuff like that.

I tried to fit the GBA text for FF6 into the FF3 SNES ROM and ultimately pretty much had to give up on it because it was a ludicrous amount of work and there just wasn't anywhere to fit the text for some of the text boxes in the original, and this is for a game that has extensive tools and documentation on all the inner workings (but I'll admit I'm not a super ROM hacker by any stretch, I'm sure someone like Near could trivially do it if they wanted to). What would have to happen here is probably similar.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm guessing that would wreak havoc with something like an OSSC

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

azurite posted:

I'm guessing that would wreak havoc with something like an OSSC

Oh yeah, seems like it, or at least according to this one post I saw while seeing what I could spy on if there was a patch for that or not:
https://www.reddit.com/r/secretofmana/comments/g490t0/trials_of_mana_blurry_text_when_played_on_real/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

Actually what that thread is describing is a bit different, and they're discussing forcing the emulator to always run with the higher resolution enabled, whereas the problem here is needing the opposite (always running at the lower resolution)

What happens with the game on hardware not well-suited for it (like, for example, a 3DS, where it's only 240p with square pixels) is that it still works and renders as shown but with less pixels, and is difficult to read as a result. The only solution would require somehow enlarging the text but that would break out of where it's meant to render without more extensive work like what you see for the original 2000 English patch where the text box is larger and stuff like that.

I tried to fit the GBA text for FF6 into the FF3 SNES ROM and ultimately pretty much had to give up on it because it was a ludicrous amount of work and there just wasn't anywhere to fit the text for some of the text boxes in the original, and this is for a game that has extensive tools and documentation on all the inner workings (but I'll admit I'm not a super ROM hacker by any stretch, I'm sure someone like Near could trivially do it if they wanted to). What would have to happen here is probably similar.

Someone ported the GBA FF5 script to the SNES ROM. I just tried it out on my RG350p and the text is quite a bit smaller than it was in the PS1 English version but it's still totally readable. So you might be able to accomplish it by using a smaller font.

Here's the patch if you are interested: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3687/

Godspeed because there is nothing I would love more than the GBA FF6 on a real SNES.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This is why you need that 480p LCD uncle. Namaste

lol

It still is really hard to read on other devices, like a real SNES using a CRT.

I mostly want to find this romhack out of principle now, because I refuse to believe I dreamt its existence.

Also because I really wanna play it . :sigh:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 13, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

univbee posted:

Are you sure this is actually a new patch based on the ripped Trials of Mana ROM, and not just the original Seiken Densetsu 3 English translation patch from like 20+ years ago?

Fan patch from 2000:

Official Trials of Mana ROM:

Given all this effort, is there anything wrong with the original fan translation patch?

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

univbee posted:

I did a lot of digging but everything I'm finding seems to paint this as a false memory you might be having.

This kind of update wouldn't have been trivial to implement especially on a ROM that's already operating very weirdly at above 4 megs (weird stuff happens beyond this size for the ROM to still stay spec-compliant), and it seems really odd that there's basically no mention of this even existing anywhere if it were true (nothing on romhacking.net or gbatemp that I can find), and the purpose behind it is pretty minimal in use, since it's only for emulator scenarios hardcore ROM hackers don't care about (i.e. sub-perfect emulators), and in this case you do have an option with larger (but different) text. I found a "nongoodSNES" set from December 2020 and there isn't anything in there when there likely would be. I can't even find a script dump of the new version or tools relating to that.

Can you remember any other helpful details? A range of time when you would have seen this, what kinds of sites you visit where you might have come across this?

What kind of weird stuff beyond 4mb? Genuinely curious

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

16-bit RDRAM posted:

What kind of weird stuff beyond 4mb? Genuinely curious

The thing with carts of that era is that data tends to be laid out across multiple chips and some weird stuff gets employed in order to make this all work, since the consoles typically have surprisingly few resources and might have to do things like only have a fraction of the data accessible at a time but have bank switching. So, for example, a 4 megabyte game can actually more accurately be described as 4 blocks of 1 megabyte each, with some limitations and steps necessary to go from one memory bank to another. When you go beyond 4 megabytes (32 megabits) how this works changes in a pretty significant way. To put it another way, you can dissect an actual Seiken Densetsu 3 cartridge, replace its ROM chips with the first fan patch which is also 4 megabytes, and it'll work. You cannot do this with the new version, even if you replace the chips with higher capacity ones, you need a different type of cartridge board/other chips to handle that extra amount of data. You can make a repro board for it, but it's not as straightforward as it is with the fan patch.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"32 megabits should be enough for anyone" --Bill Gates, probably

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

I somehow missed this post. Thanks so much for looking; I really really appreciate it. I remembered hearing about it shortly after the release of Collection of Mana came out for the Switch. I read that the game used hi-res mode to display the text, and someone made a patch so that it would play the official translation but without the hi-res trick the Switch was doing. It was probably like two days after the game came out.

edit: I'm probably remembering it wrong and no one actually did this within 48 hours of the game being released lol.

I figured maybe it was some auto-script thing that just dumped all the text back into the game. But since there's no way that would work, I probably did indeed dream this up.

Is the fan translation from years back a good one? How is it compared to the official one?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 14, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone played pokemon team rocket? Is it worth playing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The United States posted:

"32 megabits should be enough for anyone" --Bill Gates, probably

That wasn't a prediction, that was a recommendation, and he was right.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is the fan translation from years back a good one? How is it compared to the official one?

It's a fan translation from the early 2000's. It gets the point across, the game is completely playable, and the script wasn't written by turbo-weebs like Chrono Compendium's Chrono Trigger and Sailor Moon: Another Story

There's a lot of choices that have to be made in a translation+localization and the script is a lot more in line with a modern game where they actually had a writer go at the text instead just trying to translate to get the ideas across.
Also - japanese varies depending on the speaker, speech connotes gender, social class, age more than English usually does, so the text is trying to convey that. I.e. Charlotte has that little kid lisp that makes her sound like Elmer fudd.
Haven't played it through 100% but official translation already has a lot more text than the fan romhack.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OK thanks. If there's no cringe in the translation, that's good enough for me. Maybe I'll just play that instead (still seems like a shame considering a real translation exists now).

Is the game any good? Keep in mind I absolutely loved Secret of Mana (SNES) and all its glitchy glory.

Or maybe I'll just play the GBA FF5 translation patched into the SNES ROM, considering I've never played the game before and FF6 is literally my favorite game of all time.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Honestly, Trials feels like a more complete version of Secret in a lot of ways. The SNES version still has some design issues (no real way to dodge magic, enemies who turn invincible or fly out of attack range are the loving worst) but it's a top title on the system.

That said, the remake plays a lot better in a lot of ways, mostly coming down to it being an action game first, not real time combat stapled onto a dice roll RPG and trying to make sure attacks are way more fair.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Coffee Jones posted:

Sailor Moon: Another Story

At least that's fixed now! I mean it's still Another Story but..

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
YES. Forgot about that.
I guess that's a theme now, huh? - ten or twenty years original rom hacks for Seiken 3, Sailor Moon, FF5, Phantasy Star (?), Bahamut's Lagoon see a new release, sometimes by pros, sometimes by their original hackers.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I mean it's still Another Story but..

Right, just going off of Hungry Goriya's review video. it's badly balanced and grindy, but props for presentation. Totally ripe for a rebalancing patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGbi0KMJa80

univbee posted:

The thing with carts of that era is that data tends to be laid out across multiple chips and some weird stuff gets employed in order to make this all work, since the consoles typically have surprisingly few resources and might have to do things like only have a fraction of the data accessible at a time but have bank switching. So, for example, a 4 megabyte game can actually more accurately be described as 4 blocks of 1 megabyte each, with some limitations and steps necessary to go from one memory bank to another. When you go beyond 4 megabytes (32 megabits) how this works changes in a pretty significant way. To put it another way, you can dissect an actual Seiken Densetsu 3 cartridge, replace its ROM chips with the first fan patch which is also 4 megabytes, and it'll work. You cannot do this with the new version, even if you replace the chips with higher capacity ones, you need a different type of cartridge board/other chips to handle that extra amount of data. You can make a repro board for it, but it's not as straightforward as it is with the fan patch.

adding to this -
here's earthbound, pretty ordinary:

Tales of Phantasia, with 16 + 32 megabit chips and an address translation chip to map what data comes from where (I don't know poo poo beyond this fwiw).

It's outside of what's normally available* to a just someone plugging along in a youtube with parts ordered from the internet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Aviwr73XB4

Blows my mind a little that a ROM cartridge plugged directly into the memory space of the system. Reading the state of the buttons, reading from ROM, it's just a different memory address.
These days, plugging in a Switch or 3ds cart is like plugging in a USB drive; just a file system in an OS.
I think the GBA was the last Nintendo system to do this, right?

* or not? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfLNjXzNMw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Coffee Jones posted:

YES. Forgot about that.
I guess that's a theme now, huh? - ten or twenty years original rom hacks for Seiken 3, Sailor Moon, FF5, Phantasy Star (?), Bahamut's Lagoon see a new release, sometimes by pros, sometimes by their original hackers.

Right, just going off of Hungry Goriya's review video. it's badly balanced and grindy, but props for presentation. Totally ripe for a rebalancing patch.

Yeah. The new translation at least has some builtin cheaty bits, which is cool.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

Has anyone played pokemon team rocket? Is it worth playing

The Japan-only TCG sequel? I played it recently, if you like the first GB TCG game, you should play it.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Is there a thread to talk about Paprium? Ive only heard about it recently. I've got a copy coming in the mail.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Is there a thread to talk about Paprium? Ive only heard about it recently. I've got a copy coming in the mail.

Doesn't appear to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Its been talked about in the retro games thread, but less so about the game and more so about the insane creator dude and the weird messages written in the manual and whatnot.