Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah that is definitely a deep cut as far as SNES games go. It’s from the same crew who did Tengai Makyou Zero, who have really been hitting a groove lately with their work output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I’m blown away that it’s already been 15 years since Star Ocean was released in English:

https://twitter.com/fantasyanime/status/1079870813774508032?s=21

There were some really stellar fan translation accomplishments around that time period, like Seiken Densetsu 3 and Tales of Phantasia. Hard to believe it’s been so long.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nothing says "stellar translation" like "Mint has that quiet elegance about her but I bet Arche fucks like a tiger".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The double naughts’s were a crazy time in the realm of translation.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I guess I meant more as a technical achievement as opposed to the actual localization. It was a milestone just getting the game to work on emulators and then DeJap succeeding in translating it a short time later.

But yeah I guess this

ConanThe3rd posted:

The double naughts’s were a crazy time in the realm of translation.

is a more succinct way to put it. Those years really helped set baseline standards for the rom hacks to follow.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ballz posted:

I’m blown away that it’s already been 15 years since Star Ocean was released in English:

There were some really stellar fan translation accomplishments around that time period, like Seiken Densetsu 3 and Tales of Phantasia. Hard to believe it’s been so long.
I remember back when that patch hit and emulators didn't fully natively support whatever the special graphics tech was that Star Ocean used, so it was totally unplayable unless you had a subfolder in the right place + with the right name containing the extracted decompressed graphics files it needed. Not sure whether it was the documentation or my reading comprehension that sucked at the time but it took me forever to get that game working.

My favourite fan translation is probably still the Live-A-Live do-over that added a uniquely themed typeface for each scenario. That one came out halfway through my first playthrough and I thought it was so cool that I didn't feel at all bad about starting a fresh game with the new patch.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Ballz posted:

The FF5 fantranslation is freaking 20 years old

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Booourns posted:

Goddamn, old enough to drink. At least old enough to drink anywhere cool.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Booourns posted:

butz lol

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So while the pokemon rom hacking scene is a nightmare hellscape of impossibly difficult mods and "what if pokemon... WAS R-RATED?!" fan-fiction nonsense, there are some real gems in the endless mountains of trash. Crystal Clear has already been mentioned, and I can affirm that it's one of the best ground up fan creations out there, but I want to mention Pokemon Volt White and Blaze Black, which are hacks of the 5th generation games that solve some very large problems I have with pokemon games, namely:

1. They're too loving easy. VW/BB increases the difficulty of Pokemon Black/White without going completely off the deep end, meaning you can't absentmindedly bulldoze through the whole game with one team. I probably had about 20 different pokemon in total rotating in and out of my team through the Elite 4, and even more through the post-story portion of the game (which is like half the game nowadays??). All of the trainers have higher level pokemon, more potent movesets, and better battle AI than in the base game. On the flip side, it's not so hard that you have to know what EVs/IVs are or get super grognard about it to get by. I lost to almost every Gym Leader at least once, and lost many of the rival battles as well, but progression feels incredibly rewarding and I didn't grind against wild pokemon all *that* much.

2. The new pokemon are new and scary, and I fear change. VW/BB includes all 5 generations of pokemon, legendaries included, as catchable in the wild. They're distributed in logical fashion, both in terms of encounter rates and geographic locations. Legendaries can have encounter rates of only 1-2%, and usually appear in late game areas, or even appear only during certain seasons. You can totally rock whatever team you want from whatever generation without spoiling the balance.

Other than that, the only changes made are the placement of items and some subtle alterations to when certain pokemon evolve or learn moves, the latter of which can be excluded from your patch. Black and White are also often considered the apex of pokemon game plots although admittedly that's really faint praise.

If you're a lapsed pokemon fan like I was and want to sink your teeth into one last blow out adventure, I'd strongly recommend Blaze Black or Volt White.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Linkle Liver Story is out: http://aishsha.blogspot.com/2019/01/linkle-liver-story-released.html

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Big Word posted:

I remember back when that patch hit and emulators didn't fully natively support whatever the special graphics tech was that Star Ocean used, so it was totally unplayable unless you had a subfolder in the right place + with the right name containing the extracted decompressed graphics files it needed. Not sure whether it was the documentation or my reading comprehension that sucked at the time but it took me forever to get that game working.

I remember this. I because of how the graphics data was compressed for storage. There was a de-compression chip on the cart that wasn't emulated for a long time. Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2 were the only SNES games to ever use it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lowen SoDium posted:

I remember this. I because of how the graphics data was compressed for storage. There was a de-compression chip on the cart that wasn't emulated for a long time. Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2 were the only SNES games to ever use it.

Huh. I was gonna call you wrong and say the other game was Far East of Eden Zero, but no, apparently that one was a game that also used an unmapped decompression chip they brute forced. The more I know, I guess.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oh hey it's that random import Saturn game I bought for cheap because it showed up in a store around here.

that i... subsequently... sold.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hey, a weird freshly-translated Saturn game! Neat.

I have no idea if I patched this disc right. Yabause doesn't load it correctly, but I can't get it to boot into anything, so maybe I did. I have no idea and I'd rather not waste one of my handful of remaining CD-Rs on a guess.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you patched the first track you did it right. readme strongly suggests you use SSF, and you can just use daemon tools lite to mount the cue for it (maybe other virtual drive programs work too but i was getting errors in SSF when i tried wincdemu). unfortunately it freezes when you go to the world map in mednafen.

also make sure you grab the manual

btw you hit start on the world map to save. game never tells you this lol

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 3, 2019

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, SSF doesn't seem to like ImDisk or WinCDEmu and VirtualCloneDrive doesn't do cue files. It's probably fine, I double-checked the hashes before I started. I'll have to burn a copy when I get home. I'm 100% sick of fighting with emulators for this generation of systems.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

That'd be a bummer if it doesn't work on real hardware.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Looks like it does! I just got to the file select screen on a quick test, but the readme says that's the most reliable way to play it, anyway.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Joe Chill posted:

An english translation for Ihatovo Monogatari is out! https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4116/

It's an adventure game for the Super Famicom based on the Japanese writer Kenji Miyazawa.

I'm really surprised sinced the game is so obscure. The is a drat good year for fan translation releases.

This looks so neat. Going to play it tonight!

https://medium.com/@SuperFamicomGuy/the-super-famicoms-best-kept-secret-welcome-to-ihatovo-8dcc0b5617f7

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
If you're looking for an excuse to play Chrono Trigger again, look no further:
https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=12976.0

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SGR posted:

If you're looking for an excuse to play Chrono Trigger again, look no further:
https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=12976.0

If you want to do it on your SNES Classic, I made a quick and dirty boxart image for it. Full size behind the link.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So if you followed along in the now-archived EarthBound thread, we had been keeping up on a couple of rom hacking projects for this game. The one I've been most excited for is "Mother Remake," which takes EarthBound and turns it into the original Mother / EarthBound Beginnings.

This is actually something Mother 3 translator and uber-EarthBound fan Tomato began working on more than 10 years ago, but the enormity of such a hack quickly became obvious and he gave up on it. It was picked up by the fan hacking community over on the starmen.net forums where it's been chugging along ever since.

Anyways, it's still being worked on, no ETA on a release. But the thread offers very little by way of updates as they've become a bit hesitant to publicize it too much lest they get hit with a C&D right before release. Lead hacker h.s is pretty active in a Slack channel however, and he recently said there most ASM-level modifications had been completed so it's definitely pretty far along.

Last year at Camp Fangamer there was an EarthBound rom hacking/emulation panel that's since found its way on YouTube. Video is kind of crappy and probably only worth watching if you're super into this sort of thing, but they did show off some new Mother Remake screenshots that had never been shown before, so I went and screencapped them for your enjoyment:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah, looking forward to that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Kind of been quiet on the rom hacking front lately, at least in the corners that I frequent. There is this:

https://twitter.com/romhackingnet/status/1090972610714685441

Although there was already a perfectly serviceable English translation that I even included in my translation roundup post. Maybe this one is better, I dunno.

Also fun story, right after I got and hacked my SNES Classic, I decided I wanted to replay Secret of Mana but rather than do the original version included with the Classic, I looked at various improvement rom hacks and kind of made a Frankenstein rom that had something like 5 or 6 patches applied to it. Looks like I wasn't the only one to think about something like this, as there's now a new relocalization hack that implements a bunch of stuff:

https://twitter.com/romhackingnet/status/1085927615959953410

Still gotta first use FuSoYa's VWF patch, though, but at least you're down to two patches instead of a half dozen!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Joe Chill posted:

An english translation for Ihatovo Monogatari is out! https://www.romhacking.net/translations/4116/

It's an adventure game for the Super Famicom based on the Japanese writer Kenji Miyazawa.

I'm really surprised sinced the game is so obscure. The is a drat good year for fan translation releases.

I'm linking this because this is one of those games Nintendo seems to completely forget, but it's a more recent translation of Marvelous, a game in which you play as three kids at a summer camp. It's sort of like Trine in that each of the kids is good at something and you've got to switch between them to get through the world.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2558/

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Growing up I was a big fan of the Front Mission series of RPGs by Squaresoft and it was always a sin in my eyes that only the 3rd and 4th games in the series were localized outside of Japan (at the time of their original release, at least) - especially with the 4th installment being widely considered the weakest title which probably contributed to the poor overseas sales.

Front Mission 1 was my first romhack I ever played and while it was mostly serviceable it was eventually overshadowed by an official localization to the DS (and even better than just that it offered a brand new second scenario from the other side of the war - way cool).

However to this day FM2 and FM5 have never seen localization - so you can only imagine my delight when I discovered that a group of romhackers were translating both. I refreshed their site every goddamn day and at the very end of 2009 they finally released their completed patch for FM5! Unfortunately by that time my PS2 with a copy of SwapMagic had been pawned off my my former roommate, likely for drug money (totally my fault for abandoning it for almost 2 years) so I had to play it on ePSX2 which was less than stellar. FM5 is still a fantastic game and IMO the best in the series so I highly recommend it.

In 2013 they finalized a patch for FM2 as well - unfortunately I have yet to play it so I can't comment on it other than to mention that sadly unlike their FM5 translation technical limitations prevented them from inserting 100% of the translated text - they were able to insert ~75% of the text and published a text file for the remaining 25%.

You can find both patches here: https://opticalgarbage.com/frontmission/wiki/index.php

Just writing this post has me itching to pick up FM2 and then to replay 3-5!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a Final Fantasy Tactics mod that rebalances the wonky mechanics in the game to be less a grind. Most classes and monsters get buffs, bosses have innate resistance to damage, innate JP UP, random encounters are optional, and a ton of other things.

http://www.rpgdl.com/lft

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is a Final Fantasy Tactics mod that rebalances the wonky mechanics in the game to be less a grind. Most classes and monsters get buffs, bosses have innate resistance to damage, innate JP UP, random encounters are optional, and a ton of other things.

http://www.rpgdl.com/lft

how is this specifically a good idea

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

hexwren posted:

Did you know monsters are recruitable? Slap Monster Talk on someone and Invite some of those bad boys on over for a fun experience. (they also barely appear in storyline battles, and were complete garbage in vanilla aside from like Tiamats, which weren't buffed)

Assassination bosses needed something because in vanilla you can snipe them with one spell pretty easy.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 2, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

hexwren posted:

I try not to build my characters into unstoppable death machines, but I get that urge to kill each boss in one round. At least the boss can take more hits.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Game of Life: now an NES RPG.

https://twitter.com/themajinzenki/status/1091701379058597888?s=21

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Now this is a thread I can get behind. I love romhacks and they basically make up the majority of what I play these days. I've got a few different hacks to mention so I'll probably make a couple of posts to give hacks from different games some space.

I was very involved in the Super Metroid community for a while and still try to keep up to date with the projects going on over at Metroid Construction. So here's a small selection of some of the better or more notable ones the community has produced:

Super Metroid Redesign: Axeil Edition: This one's notable for being one of the first Super Metroid romhacks out there, originally releasing back in 2006 I believe. The "Axeil Edition" was an update made to the game almost a decade later to turn it into a definitive edition of sorts. It's named after SA forums poster, Axeil, who did an LP of the original version years and years ago and even had the creator on the LP at points to talk about the game and help him get through Maridia.
The game makes Zebes much larger, changes the physics, adds a couple new powerups, drastically changes the minimap visual design, adds a hint system and more.
Personally, I don't like this hack as much anymore because I think some better ones have come out since, even with the update made to it. it's also quite challenging at times so be forewarned. But it's still good and a very notable hack that's worth experiencing once.

Hyper Metroid: This is a really fun hack made a few years back that builds upon the "Project Base" base rom hack that was released for people to begin making hacks with, and turns it into a stellar display of design, custom graphics, and engaging action. The world is completely new, your jumping ability is much stronger, you can recharge speed booster like in the GBA games, the boss fights all have modified patterns of attack and it's very speedrunable and can be sequence-broken in a variety of ways.
I really like this one. It's fast-paced, very pretty, and lots of fun. One downside is there is a key-hunt of sorts towards the end to get into Tourian, but you start unlocking it from the beginning of the game and I think there's a way around it if you know where to look? Difficulty is slightly higher than the original game, but nothing an experienced SM player shouldn't be able to handle.

Eris (2012): Eris is one of the most unique hacks I've played because of how it's constructed. The whole game takes place on one tightly compressed "world" map and looks truly alien as hacks go. Odd visual design is the name of the game here, and Eris delivers in spades, showing a ruined Chozo civilization on a frozen planet, depicted in high detail using comprehensive graphics layering techniques. You won't find a hack that looks anything like this elsewhere. Despite being small in physical size, the game is dense enough that you'll be exploring every nook and cranny to find items and artifacts to open the end of the game.
Difficulty gets a little high on this one and I wouldn't recommend trying to 100% it, but it is absolutely worth playing through to see the extent of the visual design.

------

Lastly, one that's in development. X-Fusion appears to be a re-imagining of Fusion done in the Super Metroid engine, complete with Fusion's bosses, the X-parasites, the SA-X and a host of new abilities, bosses and landscapes to traverse. We don't know much about the hack proper yet because literal years of work were done getting all the backend stuff like changed Samus sprites and hitboxes, bosses, HUD, and more were done first. Now that those are mostly done, the hack's true design is starting proper. A playlist of videos showcasing bosses and the text engine can be found here. Definitely follow this one because it looks like it'll be insane.
And if you're worried that the hack will be all show and no good design, don't worry. The hacker put out another hack years ago called Z-Factor that's extremely well designed overall and also one of my highly recommended ones.

------
There's a ton of other Super Metroid hacks out there and if you want to browse ones that I haven't talked about here, you can find them all on Metroid Construction's Hack List. There are also romhacks for Metroid 1, Zero Mission, and Fusion in this list too but I don't really have experience with those and the GBA hacks are in that early romhacking stage where most stuff coming out for them aren't very good while also being really hard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tonfa posted:

Did you know monsters are recruitable? Slap Monster Talk on someone and Invite some of those bad boys on over for a fun experience. (they also barely appear in storyline battles, and were complete garbage in vanilla aside from like Tiamats, which weren't buffed)

Assassination bosses needed something because in vanilla you can snipe them with one spell pretty easy.

I last played it about twenty years ago, and most of what I remember is the endgame bosses being a grim slog.

Strategy games are not my forte.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hey, thanks for this! I added it to the OP.

Also:

https://twitter.com/retrotranslator/status/1097486634394648576?s=21

New MegaTen related translation released. I’ve been wanting to get more into this series, but there’s like a bajillion games at this point. The extent of my knowledge is a partial playthrough of the original SMT for SNES and Catherine which I’m not sure even counts.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 18, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Just want to say thanks for keeping us updated on these. I haven't had a chance to play more than a little bit of RPG Jinsei Game (you write manga through a jrpg battle!) but I really appreciate your posts.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I think it's pretty obvious I have a pretty big blind spot when it comes to non-Nintendo rom hacks/translations, so one of my selfish goals of this thread is that other people post about projects I never would have otherwise known about.

On that note, the Secret of Mana Relocalized hack I mentioned a while back has gotten some impressive updates. I believe you no longer need to pre-patch the game with FuSoYa's VWF hack, everything is included here.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FPzero posted:

Hyper Metroid: This is a really fun hack made a few years back that builds upon the "Project Base" base rom hack that was released for people to begin making hacks with, and turns it into a stellar display of design, custom graphics, and engaging action. The world is completely new, your jumping ability is much stronger, you can recharge speed booster like in the GBA games, the boss fights all have modified patterns of attack and it's very speedrunable and can be sequence-broken in a variety of ways.
I really like this one. It's fast-paced, very pretty, and lots of fun. One downside is there is a key-hunt of sorts towards the end to get into Tourian, but you start unlocking it from the beginning of the game and I think there's a way around it if you know where to look? Difficulty is slightly higher than the original game, but nothing an experienced SM player shouldn't be able to handle.

I'm giving this a go-through right now and it's not bad! I got stuck in Brinstar for a while, but I managed to puzzle my way out of it; it didn't seem like the creator accounted for the missing bit at first, but it turned out to be an oversight on my end. Who knew that the Charge Beam would be the solution to defeating the idol blocks?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Is there any reason there don't seem to be any good Super Mario Bros 2 (nes) romhacks? I looked on the rom hacking website and all over YouTube and there doesn't seem to be a single good one. Am I just not finding it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Is there any reason there don't seem to be any good Super Mario Bros 2 (nes) romhacks? I looked on the rom hacking website and all over YouTube and there doesn't seem to be a single good one. Am I just not finding it?

Mario 2 can't be improved. It's already perfect. :colbert: