Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All of his videos are great, would definitely recommend anyone dive into them if they like that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I guess Super KKK Bros. 2 was too edgy even for these guys.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Peanut Butler posted:

the forums there have a real, "offsite founded because you can't say f****t on something awful anymore", thing going on

Popehentai is super into this kind of thing and in nearly every update he has a need to make some shots at RHDN and the moderation censorship there

Also I really don't recommend browsing too much of this site cuz not sure if I'm buying some of the "ironic" content there

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Holy poo poo, I didn't realize RCG0 was Kunio-tachi no Banka, I thought it was just a new game that used that style.

Back in early emulation days I spent hours ripping my hair out trying to find a ROM of that game, I was obsessed with playing it at the time and it was really hard to find back then. By the time roms got easier to find I had lost interest, is it any good?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Today it's merely okay, but for the time the SNES/SFC Kunio beat-em-ups were real innovators of the genre, with Shodai focusing on evolving the RPG mechanics (including equipment/buffs), and Banka focusing on multiple characters, different game modes, highly interactive/reactive environments, an involved story with twists and turns, etc.

It's just too bad neither are as good on a basic beat-em-up gameplay level as, say, Super Double Dragon.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I've got a modded DMG gameboy (IPS screen) and been playing Gameboy hacks (mono not color) and so far my favorites are:

Other hacks I'm going to be trying:

Other than pokemon hacks (of which there are dozens) what are some good Original gameboy hacks? A lot of the popular ones are mostly "DX" mods which add color.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Other than pokemon hacks (of which there are dozens) what are some good Original gameboy hacks? A lot of the popular ones are mostly "DX" mods which add color.

I really recommend the Road Rash - Service Repair suite of hacks, perfect for this vein I think: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6054/

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

laserghost posted:

Popehentai is super into this kind of thing and in nearly every update he has a need to make some shots at RHDN and the moderation censorship there

Also I really don't recommend browsing too much of this site cuz not sure if I'm buying some of the "ironic" content there

One of the regular uploaders at a private torrent site I use still goes out of his way in SNES translation packs to note that he’s including the original Ganbare Goemon 2 translation patch because free speech. Sure, buddy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/HilltopWorks/status/1498829892275814406

soon

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/RetroTranslator/status/1500318436391817219

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Oh wow, an excellent use of MSU-1 to include the PC Engine cut scene and voice acting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

However, it makes it extra funny that they went to that length to hack the SFC version instead of doing it to the PCE or PSX version to start with

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

However, it makes it extra funny that they went to that length to hack the SFC version instead of doing it to the PCE or PSX version to start with

DDS, the guy who did the hacking in this case, has only done SNES stuff in general. So chances are he doesn't know enough about the other systems (or care about trying to learn anything about hacking them) for trying to tackle the enhanced version of this game. Still, good on Tom for getting the translation for this one sorted out at least!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Plus I imagine with the MSU-1 stuff it was easier to use that to put in voices and movies in the SFC version than it would be to port gameplay changes to other versions

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Wider appeal for the masses doing the SNES version, too. Plus that’s quite a cool accomplishment to say you’ve added an FMV cut scene into a SNES game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

On the plus side I don't think Tokimemo has any transphobic slurs that Tom can say "Actually they're cute and important" to

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
https://twitter.com/burntends2/status/1500661289307324417

now this is what i'm talkin about

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

hell yeah

I mean I'm still gonna play..sigh, Heartthrob Memorial, but you know

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
https://twitter.com/bbbradsmith/status/1500715711034970112?t=FpJWpCGSUCaY-wMF6sYnTQ&s=19

Nerd adds mouse support to Shadowrun on the SNES, fans rejoice!

Seems you still need a controller in port one and the mouse is in port two.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I am acquaintances of acquaintances with that nerd and he made a kick rear end homebrew NES game that you should check out. He’s also good at music

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Cool. I wish the 8bitdo bluetooth adapter for sfc/snes let you pair up a mouse.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
I like to think we are all nerds here.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't suppose anyone's tried the Tokimemo translation on a Jailbroken Super NT? I get a black screen when I try.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm not surprised it doesn't work there, it seems to only work properly in snes9x and mostly properly on a fxpak/sd2snes. I tried the MSU-1 patch on my FXPak Pro this morning and noticed a difference from snes9x right away - in snes9x, there's a spoken "Konami" at the end of the logo splash that I couldn't get to play on my SNES. But the MSU-1 files are definitely working, it plays the animated intro. I can't get the patch to work at all in bsnes, mesen-s, bsnes-plus, or higan, either standalone or with msu files. I know bsnes won't play the msu files because it needs a manifest.bml and I have no idea how to make one that'll work, but standalone should work, and the other three should be cool either way. (Well, higan requires a specific file structure for msu to work without a manifest, but it's easy enough to oblige.) It's pretty weird to me, I hope it can be updated for broader support.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Wow. I tried to load it up on my clone Super Everdrive and the file size was too big, so I decided to just hold off until I finally upgrade to the SD2SNES but if it's not even working perfectly there then I guess I'll just fire up the emulator.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah even non-MSU it's 8MB, what the hell. Star Ocean is what, 12MB uncompressed, 6MB compressed? Guess I'm not shocked most stuff isn't opening it.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Either way, really strange for a non-novice translator/hacker to not at least note compatibility issues in the patch notes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

have they made any more gb to gbc hacks like the one for super mario land 2?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Metroid 2 has one, at least

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's not finished yet, but one is in the works for Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru/For Frog the Bell Tolls.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Shibawanko posted:

There's a bunch: metroid, kirby, super Mario land 1, Alleyway, Dr. Mario, bugs bunny crazy castle 2, kirby pinball

Here's a search i use to show all gameboy romhacks sorted by downloads descending: https://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&platform=8&perpage=200&order=Downloads&dir=1&startpage=1

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I think there’s full color hacks for Pokémon Red and Blue also.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hm, that's a little disappointing to hear with Tokimemo, I guess I was a little hopeful that it would run on the Super NT since I remember getting the 8 mb Project Naga translation of FE4 running on it. Oh well, having to play via SNES9x isn't the worst thing in the world.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

Here are two to try if you haven't:
Donkey Kong Land: New Colors Mode
Kirby's Dream Land DX - Fluffy Repair Service <- check the description for this one, it's actually a great repair patch for the two KDL DX hacks out there.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

holefoods posted:

Wow. I tried to load it up on my clone Super Everdrive and the file size was too big, so I decided to just hold off until I finally upgrade to the SD2SNES but if it's not even working perfectly there then I guess I'll just fire up the emulator.

You might be waiting a long time to upgrade the cart so I'd recommend emulation in your case.

What emulators have MSU1 support?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Island Nation posted:

You might be waiting a long time to upgrade the cart so I'd recommend emulation in your case.

What emulators have MSU1 support?

There are others but probably the best to use are Snes9x and bsnes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

holefoods posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh yeah even non-MSU it's 8MB, what the hell. Star Ocean is what, 12MB uncompressed, 6MB compressed? Guess I'm not shocked most stuff isn't opening it.

I quickly opened the ROM in a hex editor and it seems most of what's between the 6MB and 8MB ranges is empty space. I don't know if it'd be as simple as just trimming it, but I suspect it would be possible to trim it down to 7MB so it'll work on a Super Everdrive (not sure if a clone Super Everdrive would introduce other problems though).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh the very end of the ROM has a note

quote:

Most special thanks to Tom the RetroTranslator, the most generous, wisest, and kind-hearted person I know. Without him, this project would not have been started or even exist, and is the only reason I still even do this hobby. If there's one person you thank for this translation's existence, it's Tom. And thanks to Tom, FlashPV, and my loving family for all of their support in bringing this world-first translation to life. It was fun to push my skills to the limit for this game. Good luck to the goblins working on their own Heartthrob Memorial translation. May its theme of love not be lost on you. No, we haven't watched the video, but thanks for the free publicity! We are not Dynamic Designs, if you have a problem with their translations, take it up with them.Resetera and HG101 are still cancer. Heartthrob Memorial: Under the Tree of Legends Text translation by Tom Graphics redrawn by FlashPV Programming by DDS http://translated.games

DDS is still extremely butthurt, I see.

There's also 5700~ bytes of uh, something, between all the zerospace in the backhalf of the ROM so I don't think lopping it off would just work, it looks like it might actually be accessed by the game at some point.

It'd be worth bringing up the fact that it doesn't work on real hardware (and accurate emulators) with Tom except he limits who can reply to him on Twitter because he doesn't like being called out on his garbage.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 16, 2022

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Bored and tried chopping up the ROM a few different ways - looks like clone Super Everdrives only have 6mb of space for ROMs. Anyways, no dice on trimming off the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh the very end of the ROM has a note

DDS is still extremely butthurt, I see.

There's also 5700~ bytes of uh, something, between all the zerospace in the backhalf of the ROM so I don't think lopping it off would just work, it looks like it might actually be accessed by the game at some point.

It'd be worth bringing up the fact that it doesn't work on real hardware (and accurate emulators) with Tom except he limits who can reply to him on Twitter because he doesn't like being called out on his garbage.
So they're still trash people, good to know