Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/HilltopWorks/status/1515202803899133952

Hilltop keeps providing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

How does someone join these sick projects as a translator?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It's really about putting the word out to groups that are lacking good translators and figuring things out from there. Sometimes they'll say something like "our main translator is moving on to bigger things/having a child in a month/said a gamer word so we're looking for a new one" and then reaching out to them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

https://twitter.com/keke_094/status/1510741097877688325

I don't think this one was posted here yet. Don't know anything about the game but it's always nice to see lesser-known RPGs be translated.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

gay for gacha posted:

How does someone join these sick projects as a translator?

Beyond what univbee mentioned regarding more established groups, it's probably also worth checking out places where any non-affiliated tech folks who can do the hacking side may be looking for translators (romhacking.net and GBATemp are probably the bigger ones depending on target platform). You can also technically check out places where fans of a game hang out as well if you're looking to do something specific, but that's a longer shot for finding folks who may be technically proficient enough for hacking compared to the other way around. Those are both methods where I got involved with things on the hacking side in my own case here at the very least, but either way I'd recommend having a sample of text you've translated handy so folks can see if they're interested in partnering up at all, since it's decent as a way to verify that you know what you're doing that way.

But yeah, if it is the case that you're aiming for a specific game, don't forget that it's also an option where you can post out in any of those sorts of places mentioning that you're looking to try and translate it to try and start a project yourself. You'd probably want a more specific translation sample there if so in order to show you're willing to translate it/not just requesting a translation without contributing anything, though do note there's always the risk that folks may reach out to you and not be able to do anything tech-related in the end this way (especially for anything on platforms which are less or more of a pain in the butt to work with).

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Arc Impulse posted:

Beyond what univbee mentioned regarding more established groups, it's probably also worth checking out places where any non-affiliated tech folks who can do the hacking side may be looking for translators (romhacking.net and GBATemp are probably the bigger ones depending on target platform). You can also technically check out places where fans of a game hang out as well if you're looking to do something specific, but that's a longer shot for finding folks who may be technically proficient enough for hacking compared to the other way around. Those are both methods where I got involved with things on the hacking side in my own case here at the very least, but either way I'd recommend having a sample of text you've translated handy so folks can see if they're interested in partnering up at all, since it's decent as a way to verify that you know what you're doing that way.

But yeah, if it is the case that you're aiming for a specific game, don't forget that it's also an option where you can post out in any of those sorts of places mentioning that you're looking to try and translate it to try and start a project yourself. You'd probably want a more specific translation sample there if so in order to show you're willing to translate it/not just requesting a translation without contributing anything, though do note there's always the risk that folks may reach out to you and not be able to do anything tech-related in the end this way (especially for anything on platforms which are less or more of a pain in the butt to work with).

Thank you. I'm not really aiming for a specific game, but I want some experience translating and these projects look like a fun place to get started (I might be wrong). Though manji psy yuuki for pc98 would be cool to bring to English audiences it just seems daunting to do all of the pc98 text adding

E: experience because I don't think I'm experienced enough or good enough at Japanese to not at least have someone review my translations

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 18, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RHDN has uh, I guess what you'd call job postings, too

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Part of the problem from the angle of wanting review is that doing thorough review is often more work than just translating something, especially in a project that splits translation and editing; the reviewer needs to have their own TL of it and spot where you differ, but also figure out -why- you differ if it's not an immediately obvious homophone mixup or grammar mistake before they can tell whether it's a guesslation or just different phrasing.

That said, I'd say you also have the options of finding something which already has established tools and a release, working on it blind, and then comparing your own output, or conversely of doing a text-format translation walkthrough and then once you're satisfied with it fishing for someone to create extraction and repacking tools to find any missing bits and get it back into the game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/mug4times/status/1520548215732543488?s=21&t=9H04pJR93f7_yaQQwiw7Mw

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

loving lmao

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wow, awesome. I'm having trouble on an early boss, though, can anyone help? It's right after the King Frost fight. Interestingly, the .gba file just plays the Persona 4 intro movie instead of SMT 2, this is to not ruin the joke but keep other people from blindly downloading a strange gba file. Any tips?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Shibawanko posted:

i never liked how english puts spaces inside of compound words

You must be German. Or Dutch.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

madmatt112 posted:

You must be German. Or Dutch.

dutch yeah

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1ZyCGCVuE

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neat. Surprised there’s so much cool stuff already.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What an excellent video.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Thats what I thought. The voices are spot on, so much so I wondered how they did it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A fun and informative look at the hack that turns Metroid Zero Mission into Super Metroid, with text commentary. They clearly have some knowledge of Super Metroid and Zero Mission modding and they're able to puzzle out how some things are accomplished, while some other design decisions are just a mystery.

Skip to 21 minutes in to see the super jank Crocomire fight pieced together from the unused assets left in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKcGQCdFMLE

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0qUJebTtE

So many great SOR romhacks out there.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, I stumbled onto a JP-only FPS RPG for the PSX called Crime Crackers 2 last night, and found it quite fun and charming! I have enough knowledge of Japanese that I was able to read a decent bit of its text, and have some programming experience so I thought it might be fun to try out making a translation patch. I quickly discovered that this can be quite difficult on the PS1 specifically due to encryption, compression, etc, but I figured it still might be fun to try out.

However, I've hit a roadblock almost immediately in that I'm struggling to get any kind of foothold on where the text even is in a hex editor in order to start building a table. I tried using a savestate trick recommended by Slowbeef in his Policenauts LP thread, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find the text in the savestate I made - or in the whole game's bin file, for that matter. I tried looking for multiple other pieces of text, but have always come up short unfortunately. I WAS able to run it through SJIS Dump and managed to get a good amount of text from there, and it DOES list positions (for example, Position : 19d09a3 CREDIT) but unfortunately I don't really know what to do with this position information, or how to turn it into something usable to make a table out of.

I've tried my hardest to Google other options but mostly just find people requesting translations in general, or people being directed to pretty basic tutorials explaining what hex is, what tables are, etc. I don't really feel like I'm totally in over my head, just that there's not a lot of easy-to-find information on how to solve this sorta thing. Or at least, I can't find that info, so I figure posters here can at least help point me in the right direction.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

So, I stumbled onto a JP-only FPS RPG for the PSX called Crime Crackers 2 last night, and found it quite fun and charming! I have enough knowledge of Japanese that I was able to read a decent bit of its text, and have some programming experience so I thought it might be fun to try out making a translation patch. I quickly discovered that this can be quite difficult on the PS1 specifically due to encryption, compression, etc, but I figured it still might be fun to try out.

However, I've hit a roadblock almost immediately in that I'm struggling to get any kind of foothold on where the text even is in a hex editor in order to start building a table. I tried using a savestate trick recommended by Slowbeef in his Policenauts LP thread, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find the text in the savestate I made - or in the whole game's bin file, for that matter. I tried looking for multiple other pieces of text, but have always come up short unfortunately. I WAS able to run it through SJIS Dump and managed to get a good amount of text from there, and it DOES list positions (for example, Position : 19d09a3 CREDIT) but unfortunately I don't really know what to do with this position information, or how to turn it into something usable to make a table out of.

I've tried my hardest to Google other options but mostly just find people requesting translations in general, or people being directed to pretty basic tutorials explaining what hex is, what tables are, etc. I don't really feel like I'm totally in over my head, just that there's not a lot of easy-to-find information on how to solve this sorta thing. Or at least, I can't find that info, so I figure posters here can at least help point me in the right direction.

Oh, I've seen the first Crime Crackers in videos before and it looks charming there, so yeah, no surprise the sequel is the same. So, in regards to the table stuff you're probably not going to be in much need of building one there if SJIS Dump grabs something from your files, as you can find some prebuilt ones for that encoding already since it's already a thing (eg, https://www.romhacking.net/documents/442/). In regards to a hex editor, there's a few out there such as MadEdit-Mod/wxmEdit which support SJIS out of the box as well under View>Encoding, which may be handier than trying to use one that needs to load in a specific table file for it.

The position information isn't gonna be immediately useful, but depending on where you've confirmed text positions, you can start using debuggers/tools to look into actually doing stuff related to dumping text. If that's in savestates: It's been a while since I looked at PS1 debuggers, but I vaguely remember that the location in a savestate doesn't translate 1:1 to where it is in the emulator's RAM unfortunately, though if you know what your text is in hex form, you can try searching for it in RAM to figure out where it is there at least. Finding where text is in RAM is mainly for assembly-related confirmations, as you can use breakpoints to see what writes that data in/loads strings/etc and figure out what may need to be tweaked there for proper English support. If there is any compression involved, this is also where you'd be able to try tracing things backwards to figure out what instructions are doing so, as well as what the source data looks like (to confirm which actual file on the disc stores i).

For now, I'd probably advise extracting the ISO and with a hex editor that supports it searching the entire extracted directory for any example SJIS strings you can confirm with SJIS encoding specified (the hex editors listed above should be able to do this), as that'll at least help you confirm if the text is stored in an easily accessible fashion/is compressed at least. After that, based on what you've found you can look into finding out what you can about the compression in order to get usable data, or seeing how the main text is stored in order to see how it'd need to be extracted/reinserted. That's the main stuff I can comment on while getting ready for sleep atm, but if you have any more specific questions from there though, fire away!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Arc Impulse posted:

Oh, I've seen the first Crime Crackers in videos before and it looks charming there, so yeah, no surprise the sequel is the same. So, in regards to the table stuff you're probably not going to be in much need of building one there if SJIS Dump grabs something from your files, as you can find some prebuilt ones for that encoding already since it's already a thing (eg, https://www.romhacking.net/documents/442/). In regards to a hex editor, there's a few out there such as MadEdit-Mod/wxmEdit which support SJIS out of the box as well under View>Encoding, which may be handier than trying to use one that needs to load in a specific table file for it.

The position information isn't gonna be immediately useful, but depending on where you've confirmed text positions, you can start using debuggers/tools to look into actually doing stuff related to dumping text. If that's in savestates: It's been a while since I looked at PS1 debuggers, but I vaguely remember that the location in a savestate doesn't translate 1:1 to where it is in the emulator's RAM unfortunately, though if you know what your text is in hex form, you can try searching for it in RAM to figure out where it is there at least. Finding where text is in RAM is mainly for assembly-related confirmations, as you can use breakpoints to see what writes that data in/loads strings/etc and figure out what may need to be tweaked there for proper English support. If there is any compression involved, this is also where you'd be able to try tracing things backwards to figure out what instructions are doing so, as well as what the source data looks like (to confirm which actual file on the disc stores i).

For now, I'd probably advise extracting the ISO and with a hex editor that supports it searching the entire extracted directory for any example SJIS strings you can confirm with SJIS encoding specified (the hex editors listed above should be able to do this), as that'll at least help you confirm if the text is stored in an easily accessible fashion/is compressed at least. After that, based on what you've found you can look into finding out what you can about the compression in order to get usable data, or seeing how the main text is stored in order to see how it'd need to be extracted/reinserted. That's the main stuff I can comment on while getting ready for sleep atm, but if you have any more specific questions from there though, fire away!

Thanks for the help! I did manage to find some bits of usable text within the game's .bin file (the only rom I can find is with cue + bin files), so that's good news! However after replacing all instances of the text to see if a change would appear in-game, I had no luck there, even replacing it with other text from the game itself to ensure I wasn't using the wrong characters or something. Any knowledge on if there's something special I need to do to properly "save" bin files, or some other way to go about it? I made sure to fully reload the game in the emulator, both the bin and cue files, but no luck.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Random Documents on PlayStation hacking from RHDN, might be helpful?
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/455/
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/372/
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/63/
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/130/

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

CodfishCartographer posted:

Thanks for the help! I did manage to find some bits of usable text within the game's .bin file (the only rom I can find is with cue + bin files), so that's good news! However after replacing all instances of the text to see if a change would appear in-game, I had no luck there, even replacing it with other text from the game itself to ensure I wasn't using the wrong characters or something. Any knowledge on if there's something special I need to do to properly "save" bin files, or some other way to go about it? I made sure to fully reload the game in the emulator, both the bin and cue files, but no luck.

Hm, depending on the game it could be that some strings are only used in some specific areas/menus (or there's a silly amount of redundant text, depending on what it was). Still, I'd recommend looking at the files in the game directly in any case as editing ISO/bin files directly is pretty much impossible for proper dumping/reinsertion, and has a much higher risk of things going wrong. There's a few caveats for reinserting (files have to be the exact same size), but as an easy to use program with a GUI I'd recommend opening up your bin/cue pair in CDMage (https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1435/) to see what the file structure is like, and try adjusting your strings and reinserting using it for test purposes (just be sure to keep a backup of your untouched files). Give each instance a slightly different tweak if different files have the same string you're testing on, and see if which (if any) show up with the rebuilt version then.

Also, if you do look at the files for the game, keep an eye out for the one that's something like SLPS_012.34 with different numbers, as that'll be the main executable. It'll have the main code for the game, but there's usually a good few strings buried in there as well, usually for menus or popups depending on the game. If you try a few tests and have no luck, feel free to throw a few images up on imgur or something if you want anything looked at sure!

SystemLogoff's links may be handy as well to look through for more PS1 stuff, though you can ignore the one on .str files for now at least since that'll only really cater to video files.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Looking for some good Pokemon hacks. Up for pretty much anything with the following limitations:
1. No fakemon rosters. I don't mind changing up typings or movesets, but original mons rarely if ever get it right regardless of the quality of the hack.
2. No DS hacks. The platform I use to emulate can't do the split screen.

The only ones I really done before are Rocket Edition and Kaizo Emerald. So, anything outside those.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 4, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like pokemon fools gold, it mixes up the types of the pokemon and gives them some sprite editing which hopefully doesnt count as fakemon? It has an ice cyndaquil

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Pokemon Cyrstal Clear is a popular hack of crystal, it makes it open world and has a lot of level scaling and its pretty neat imo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Those sound rad. I need to get to one someday… after I get through my big backlog of official Pokémon games.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
pikasprey on youtube plays a lot of Pokemon hacks if you wanna get a preview of them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I haven't played a lot of pkmn hacks but I love Crystal Clear. Started it on my ezflash jr. late last year and I've enjoyed it so much, this last month I got a cart from insidegadgets to dedicate to it.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Flora Sky and Glazed Version are good hacks of emerald

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Pokémon Unbound is extremely high quality stuff as well.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/6528/

I've been working my way through this one. It adds a lot of QoL changes without changing too much.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I will always plug Altered Emerald. The elevator pitch is that every Pokemon has been made viable and there is a ton more route variety (i.e. Lickitung and Snubbull in first route) with a ton of QOL improvements (a free ability switcher). A few extra routes too that fit in really smoothly, too.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

It’s amazing that they still refuse to have any interesting variety on early routes and it’s just crappy normal and bug types forever. I haven’t played any of the switch ones but I’m assuming this hasn’t changed.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Vegastar posted:

Pokémon Unbound is extremely high quality stuff as well.

Yeah, I liked the beginning of Unbound before I got distracted.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've heard good things from Unbound and Crystal Clear. So, I'm going with those. Thanks for the recs, goons!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Started unbound today, and holy poo poo what a refreshing change from the official games. I burnt out of Pokémon like ten years ago, and took a leap of faith after reading about its feature set. So far so good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Pokemon Cyrstal Clear is a popular hack of crystal, it makes it open world and has a lot of level scaling and its pretty neat imo

Because of this post I looked into this hack and it seems really cool. I only played enough to walk around a bit to explore and get in a few fights, but it's really robust with a lot of neat features. When I get some time I'd love to dive down and do a run of it. Seems like there's a lot of options too for people who want to do things like hunt shiny pokes (with the ability to easily re-roll for a shiny starter) and so on if that sort of thing is what you're into. Very impressive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/romhackingnet/status/1534604810879520768?s=20&t=WJ8mR3Tk_0g6BYzxreO59w
I like graphical/text hacks that just let play as a different character.