Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

BrainDance posted:

If this becomes a thing because people get nostalgic we can start a webring.

You might already be aware but in case you're not, you should definitely check out https://neocities.org/ which essentially is a community of people creating small, personal sites in the vein of the old web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Part of me wants to try and make a neocities website just for fun but I dunno what I'd put on there. Maybe bps files for my SMW contest entries and (eventually) the finished bps for my Fire Emblem romhack once that gets finished this decade.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FPzero posted:

Part of me wants to try and make a neocities website just for fun but I dunno what I'd put on there.

Wow it really does capture the early internet perfectly

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Nemo2342 posted:

Please describe to her what the original Diablo 1 online experience was like; I still have a hard time believing that was real and I was playing the game in its heyday.

That game was _wild_

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

FPzero posted:

Part of me wants to try and make a neocities website just for fun but I dunno what I'd put on there. Maybe bps files for my SMW contest entries and (eventually) the finished bps for my Fire Emblem romhack once that gets finished this decade.

It's the early internet, so just a stream of consciousness text dump about your favorite videogames with the occasional reference to WWF.

If anyone wants to get in the headspace for it, Activeworld's servers are still up (as a part of that "I have to keep this going so I keep my copyright" thing, there's another game that's almost identical the same guys run) and you can jump in the main world, warp to random coordinates, and find "Timmy's WWF/Pokemon/Austin Powers midi city" type stuff.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BrainDance posted:

It's the early internet, so just a stream of consciousness text dump about your favorite videogames with the occasional reference to WWF.

If anyone wants to get in the headspace for it, Activeworld's servers are still up (as a part of that "I have to keep this going so I keep my copyright" thing, there's another game that's almost identical the same guys run) and you can jump in the main world, warp to random coordinates, and find "Timmy's WWF/Pokemon/Austin Powers midi city" type stuff.

RIP People's Princess

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I streamed myself wandering through AlphaWorld once and had to quit and delete the VOD because somebody's front yard had been vandalized by the N word over and over

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

Wow it really does capture the early internet perfectly

:hmmyes:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
write a few posts, wait a month or three, write an "i'm not dead, promise" post, vanish forever

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

CPColin posted:

I streamed myself wandering through AlphaWorld once and had to quit and delete the VOD because somebody's front yard had been vandalized by the N word over and over

Ahhh, the spirit of Old Web 1.0...

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Nemo2342 posted:

Please describe to her what the original Diablo 1 online experience was like; I still have a hard time believing that was real and I was playing the game in its heyday.

Everyone looked the same because everyone had duped armor

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh yeah, I found a much better area later and streamed that too:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1276210963

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh hey the Gungriffon II translation is in alpha now. JP text in images is still as is and 2P mode (via link cable) is not translated yet but the rest of the text is done: https://segaxtreme.net/resources/gungriffon-ii-english-localized.114/

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

holefoods posted:

Also because there were programs to one other players inventories.

And the character files were saved locally so you could edit them to hell and back.

Plus you regularly had to look up the latest cheat programs if you played in public since they were the only way to keep from being insta-killed by other cheaters.

Just so much poo poo that wouldn’t fly these days.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

CPColin posted:

Oh yeah, I found a much better area later and streamed that too:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1276210963

I think there's a way to archive it too but from what I can tell no one has. There are bots that just sorta scrape through the whole world, archiving everything (and the client does this with a normal player too, it makes a cache that can be used offline.)

But Alpha World is very big so this would probably take a while and it costs like 30 dollars to get the ability to use bots (which, probably a handful of people buying stuff like that every year is what it takes to keep the servers running given how low the usercount is.) But I think I'm gonna try to do it. Sucks because the tools are old and Windows only and last I saw a Windows vps had annoying license things over a Linux one but I'm not confident this dead game is gonna go on forever.

Put out some feelers in their subreddit, to see if anyone knows anything or could help and we'll see where this goes.

Like yeah it sucks as a game now but back in the 90s activeworlds was insane. And there's just so much stuff there.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

BrainDance posted:

What is it that actually killed it?

Like yeah google Facebook reddit Twitter etc.

But that didn't stop, technically, all that stuff from still being there.

Is it that we all got a sort of natural laziness and drifted to these big places where all the information is just there, consolidated? Or is it, because the internet is too fast there's really no "hunt" anymore through webring after webring to build up a picture of something, page by page? And you just go to wikipedia/a subreddit for whatever now? (Definitely true for roms, why not just download a fullset? But I think there still is a need for curated background stories of individual games, like what hg101 does)

Or just that not enough people care so no one hosts their own page anymore? And even if they do the format changed to basically blogs because that just an easier way to convey information? But still, even if the new internet is 90% what it is and 10% like the 90s that's still probably just as much old internet as new internet since the internet was a lot smaller.

Or is it that no online community besides SA cuz 10 bux can be like it was because everyone has a phone and so you just get a different userbase than when it was all nerds?

It's just weird to me, and as corny as it is I'm glad to be able to say "I was there" now especially because I got this studwnt. She's a 15 year old girl who just discovered that she's a hypernerd and is installing Linux for the first time, getting deep into scifi, etc so obviously I'm her favorite teacher lol. And she came up to me asking me about the old internet, it's like some mythical wild west in her mind. And she was asking about when and why it died and I was like "you know, we didn't even really notice it, it just sorta gradually happened." But then, I don't know why it had to happen, why isn't the old internet still around?

I've been meaning to mess around with the Gemini network, see if it actually does get any of the charm back, though I'm skeptical.

Nothing killed it it's still there. You just don't see it.

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/ web 1.0 spirit animal

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Djarum posted:

So much of the 90s internet in general is gone and forgotten. Early mp3, emulation, hacking/phreaking and warez were all generally collected on the same sites so it was incredibly common for people to get exposed to all of it at once. The glory days of going on usenet or IRC and learning about some brand new thing every day was magical. Also the feeling of going into a community where everyone there was a lot like you was incredible for someone like myself where I could talk about stuff to people who knew exactly what we were all talking about. Not having to dumb down my conversation or hide my interests was liberating and I still have friends that I made then that I talk to 30 years later.

Sadly there will likely never be anything like that again. I keep meaning to do some sort of a historical project about early internet but I can never figure out the right angle for it. It is either way too focused and niche or way too broad and impossible to do accurately.

its funny, the glory days felt well in the past. when you read about those hackers/phreakers it's all like "I could type that command in the terminal!" or "I could emit that tone into a phone!" then it says PS THE STORY GIZMO DOESN'T WORK ANY MORE. then in the next entry it says "We have found a way to make a new magic gizmo that works again!" and you're like hell yeah! but you didn't look at the date; it also hasn't worked since 1980. and all those stanford and mit gents and poo poo, of course women didn't seem to be mentioned much in these stories but they were there, who collected the literal first computer bug (its in a museum) and invented all the stuff in the Jargon File, which would have been a good... less than a week's reading to get through the whole thing. it was pretty big. the people who were retired from writing those when i was reading them, they'd have been middle aged when i was ten, they were reminiscing about times usually 15+ years from when ... i'm trying to calculate when the super juicy and accessible hackable everything era was. good times. they loved pranks and trains, those mit gents, too. the prank-focused libraries were loving bizarre! cause they had writeups by these mit train/dj guys, you got used to that I-Am-19-and-Im-Arch-comma-Underdog tenor, and then there was just a stack of loving idiotic American University Boys who had also written up their weird hateful pranks that were not exactly feats of engineering. good times.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mescal posted:

and all those stanford and mit gents and poo poo, of course women didn't seem to be mentioned much in these stories but they were there, who collected the literal first computer bug (its in a museum)

It's not the actual first bug. The team had already talked about problems in programs as "bugs" for a while. When the moth was found it was kept because it was a joke on the term they were already using.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

holefoods posted:

GODLY PLATE OF THE WHALE

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Silhouette posted:

GODLY PLATE OF THE WHALE

Back before we knew that those were impossible to get legit.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Silhouette posted:

GODLY PLATE OF THE WHALE

lol

What were some of the other ones? Kings Sword of Speed?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

Back before we knew that those were impossible to get legit.

You can legit get one as a breastplate.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Mescal posted:

mit gents and poo poo, of course women didn't seem to be mentioned much in these stories but they were there, who collected the literal first computer bug (its in a museum)

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but that's an especially odd way of introducing an anecdote whose protagonist, famously, was Grace Hopper.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

a new gameboy to gameboy color conversion dropped

https://twitter.com/kkzero2015/status/1649625801736830976

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
oh hell yeah

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So many of these to enjoy on my Analogue Pocket when it arrives in a few months.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Good soup! posted:

lol

Zodiac jewelry was also popular.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/kkzero2015/status/1649625801736830976

That looks really great!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh hey PinkKittyRose was streaming that on Twitch this morning

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

lost in postation posted:

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but that's an especially odd way of introducing an anecdote whose protagonist, famously, was Grace Hopper.

Yeah I mentioned it cause it just the occurred to me how strange it was those stories never mentioned women

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Mescal posted:

Yeah I mentioned it cause it just the occurred to me how strange it was those stories never mentioned women

Whoops, yeah, I read that a little too fast. Makes a ton more sense that way!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

repiv posted:

Oh man, this was one of the few GB games I owned as a kid that I actually liked. Playing now, it's perfect on the 353v.

I love how this game trolls you for not grabbing the right power. "No I don't want the stupid rock, I just found the cool blade slash again!" <enters long downward vertical shaft full of enemies & slopes>

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Good soup! posted:

lol

Kings Sword of Haste I think. Also every sorcerer had a Staff of Apocalypse.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BrainDance posted:

I think there's a way to archive it too but from what I can tell no one has. There are bots that just sorta scrape through the whole world, archiving everything (and the client does this with a normal player too, it makes a cache that can be used offline.)

But Alpha World is very big so this would probably take a while and it costs like 30 dollars to get the ability to use bots (which, probably a handful of people buying stuff like that every year is what it takes to keep the servers running given how low the usercount is.) But I think I'm gonna try to do it. Sucks because the tools are old and Windows only and last I saw a Windows vps had annoying license things over a Linux one but I'm not confident this dead game is gonna go on forever.

Put out some feelers in their subreddit, to see if anyone knows anything or could help and we'll see where this goes.

Like yeah it sucks as a game now but back in the 90s activeworlds was insane. And there's just so much stuff there.

It's way off topic for this thread so I don't want to go into too much detail but still, we're in the retro games forum so people have an interest in preservation.

After bringing this up I got deep into this, and through private messages and back channels I did end up talking to people who had actually archived at least the main world of Active Worlds (and I have ways to actually use the archives) holy poo poo the actual AW devs and owners were very hostile to any effort to archive it, which is why I had to go do all this in PMs with people. It was near impossible to talk in the open about this.

But gently caress them, and, it is archived, and after it was archived they straight up banned bots and banned everyone involved lol. And that actually ended a lot of 3rd party experimental AW stuff (like, a VR client was developed but after the dude got banned for archiving AW he told me he lost all motivation to continue it. So it works, but not as well as it could) but I got all the pieces together now that if it ever disappeared I could put it back together pretty easily (though with an older version, since the newer versions became incredibly hostile towards preservation efforts and private servers)

I guess it's a reminder that even though to me it's just a necessary and good thing, there's a little bit of piracy involved in preservation. But, nearly 30 years of user generated content is more important than their 100 users a year few hundred bucks they make every once in a while.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Theotus posted:

Kings Sword of Haste I think. Also every sorcerer had a Staff of Apocalypse.

Kings sword of speed and kings sword of haste are the same thing. You can shop both at Griswold.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

laserghost posted:

I'd recomend playing Nathalie Lawheads' Tetrageddon, which was the original work Jay Tholen based Hypnospace off https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1523384247867781121

this again? I saw a presentation of Tetrageddon at Fantastic Arcade and found it compelling. i hadn't even played the dang thing before making Hypnospace and frankly I regret my tweet complimenting the work now.

most of what Nathalie lists are things that were common to operating systems of the day or the early web experience. the other things can be traced to the 2014 prequel I made called Hypnospace Enforcer, which predates me even knowing about Tetrageddon and involves similar themes.

also some of the listed things aren't even IN Hypnospace so I kind of doubt Nathalie actually played it. (a secret police? lol)

either way, mine is a relatively dry period piece mystery game and Tetrageddon is not that. it's so frustrating to spend 5 years of one's life on a project only to have someone invent a narrative that you swiped it from them. in actuality I swiped it from a year of dot com history research and my own formative years using computers. jeeeeeeez.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 27, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Gaspy Conana posted:

this again? I saw a presentation of Tetrageddon at Fantastic Arcade and found it compelling. i hadn't even played the dang thing before making Hypnospace and frankly I regret my tweet complimenting the work now.

most of what Nathalie lists are things that were common to operating systems of the day or the early web experience. the other things can be traced to the 2014 prequel I made called Hypnospace Enforcer, which predates me even knowing about Tetrageddon and involves similar themes.

also some of the listed things aren't even IN Hypnospace so I kind of doubt Nathalie actually played it. (a secret police? lol)

either way, mine is a relatively dry period piece mystery game and Tetrageddon is not that. it's so frustrating to spend 5 years of one's life on a project only to have someone invent a narrative that you swiped it from them. in actuality I swiped it from a year of dot com history research and my own formative years using computers. jeeeeeeez.

Even if they were first, it's a meaningless prize. High concepts are not protectable.

Hypnospace is a rad game and I'm glad it did well for you.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I tried tetrageddon the other day and it reminded me of Windows RG and similar Flash stuff more

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

leper khan posted:

High concepts are not protectable.

If you read the thread that is actually their point, that them and a lot of other people have been working in that space and style for a long time, so being accused of ripping of Hypnospace sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hel posted:

If you read the thread that is actually their point, that them and a lot of other people have been working in that space and style for a long time, so being accused of ripping of Hypnospace sucks.

Right. That's not a real thing. It's probably not best to develop games for external validation regardless, but there isn't a lot of point getting upset about fake feedback.

To the gaming audience "ripping off X" just means "similar to X but I don't like it as much". If it's similar to X but they like it, they don't call it "ripping off" even if there are more and stronger similarities.