Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Are there any resources to learn how to translate a pc98 game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks guys

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Does anyone know where I can find this pc98 game?
https://refuge.tokyo/pc9801/pc98/01774.html

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

lets hang out posted:

google "neo kobe pc98" and see if you can find it in that pack

I checked there and pc98.org I wonder if it's gone forever.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Objective Action posted:

There looks to be a copy on Archive.org, just drop the Manji off the front and it should show up.

YESS! Thank yoU!

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

How does someone join these sick projects as a translator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Arc Impulse posted:

Beyond what univbee mentioned regarding more established groups, it's probably also worth checking out places where any non-affiliated tech folks who can do the hacking side may be looking for translators (romhacking.net and GBATemp are probably the bigger ones depending on target platform). You can also technically check out places where fans of a game hang out as well if you're looking to do something specific, but that's a longer shot for finding folks who may be technically proficient enough for hacking compared to the other way around. Those are both methods where I got involved with things on the hacking side in my own case here at the very least, but either way I'd recommend having a sample of text you've translated handy so folks can see if they're interested in partnering up at all, since it's decent as a way to verify that you know what you're doing that way.

But yeah, if it is the case that you're aiming for a specific game, don't forget that it's also an option where you can post out in any of those sorts of places mentioning that you're looking to try and translate it to try and start a project yourself. You'd probably want a more specific translation sample there if so in order to show you're willing to translate it/not just requesting a translation without contributing anything, though do note there's always the risk that folks may reach out to you and not be able to do anything tech-related in the end this way (especially for anything on platforms which are less or more of a pain in the butt to work with).

Thank you. I'm not really aiming for a specific game, but I want some experience translating and these projects look like a fun place to get started (I might be wrong). Though manji psy yuuki for pc98 would be cool to bring to English audiences it just seems daunting to do all of the pc98 text adding

E: experience because I don't think I'm experienced enough or good enough at Japanese to not at least have someone review my translations

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 18, 2022