Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Stan Taylor posted:

Recently picked up a GBA flashcart, and while I guess it's not technically a ROMHack, playing the Super Mario Advance 4 Rom that Nintendo used in the Wii U release is awesome on the original hardware. They include all the E-Reader bonus levels! Not sure if there's a way to get the extra items in the main campaign though. I've heard pokemon hacks are good so I'll probably seek some of those out to toss on here, but I don't find myself playing even the mainline Pokemon games all the way through anymore and that seems like a lot of time to sink into something. Any other GBA/GB/GBC hacks I should check out? I'm playing Mother 3 on my 3DS but if there's a way to pull the save data from that and stick it on my cart I'd happily continue it on my GBA instead.

Also, not sure if there's a thread for it or not, but is there any homebrew I should check out? I have Powder (the GBA roguelike), a nanoloop demo of some sort, and I bought a rom of lsdj that i haven't really had time to dig into but I love playing with weird little apps people make for this stuff. There were a ton of really cool things people made on the DS.

The English translation of Mother 3 immediately pops to mind.
somehow skipped over the sentence where you mentioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I'm not a translator, but to the best of my understanding, that's not how translation works.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wendell posted:

Imagine the ETHICS BREACH of translating a word to be non-derogatory.

I'm imagining a Dragonquest translation with the original Japanese puns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/romhackingnet/status/1221576936595415040?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Are there any other translators who would be interested in translating the other Goemon and Tengai Makyou games?

No idea if they're interested, but whoever worked on Mother 3 would be a solid pick.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

loving triggered snowflakes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Switched.on posted:

I remember there were two level editors for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, JED and JKEdit. JED was a commercial product, with fewer features.

I think some of the early Doom editors were also commercial products, but it's a little different than charging money for level editors that only work on emulated games.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are there any expansion pak patches for N64 games besides the Goldeneye hi-rez one?

edit: Not romhacks that require the pak, but performance/resolution upgrades for games that never used it.

There's a bunch of texture paks for Ocarina of Time

https://emulationking.com/legend-zelda-ocarina-time/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ballz posted:

https://twitter.com/qwertymodo/status/1281075126134398976?s=21

There’s already a patch out that works on emulators but now he’s working on a patch that’ll play on real hardware (sd2snes)

Does it still have the screen skip glitch?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pretty good posted:

It was the DX release that nixed it in the first place so I'd imagine not

Worthless then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is truly the worst thing to have happened in 2020.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

BTW, according to what I saw on twitter, someone asked Tomato if it still has the FF4 leveling system, it does.

I assumed half the point would be to get away from FF2 leveling, and also that would be insanely complicated to backport into FF4.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

om nom nom posted:

I've never posted in this thread before, but I'm a kaizo mario player. I just beat Grand Poo World 2, and I am so freakin excited.

You're playing on an actual crt? drat

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Woebin posted:

This is neat, and good on you for making sure the lady didn't get completely underpaid!

As someone who's clearly more in the know on this than I, is putting romhacks on a SNES Mini and playing on a non-CRT as a "most accurate given my means" solution worth the effort or is this a situation where I might as well just play on the PC in your opinion?

E: actually this is probably just a dumb question, of course my solution is closer to "real", but close enough to warrant the extra effort? Eh.

I would guess that entirely depends on if you want to play it on your tv or not. An SNES mini is just another computer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I've been playing this this weekend and its amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhp0ySFnB5g

I don't know what gameplay improvements it has, but in terms of graphics that looks like poo poo. Just bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

The Castlevania one looks really bad but the Zelda one actually looks pretty good. Looks a little like a mobile game but it's not too bad.

It looks worse than both Zelda 1 graphics and Link To the Past graphics. It has more pixels but most of those pixels are bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Prism posted:

It's that. In the Japanese script, the sprite is never referred to with a gendered term AFAIK. Using 'they' in English is a perfectly fine translation, but some people don't like that.

Oh dear God, they used non-gendered terminology for the androgynous fairy creature who in the original version had the default name "Sprite" compared to the other two characters "Boy" and "Girl."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This looks like a fun Super Mario Kart hack

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5580/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

20 new tracks, completely different roster except Mario and Luigi.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is there a reason you would play that over the NES version?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The United States posted:

"32 megabits should be enough for anyone" --Bill Gates, probably

That wasn't a prediction, that was a recommendation, and he was right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pretty good posted:

I have literally only ever seen it used in the second sense but gosh it looks like I am wrong.

Pretty sure every example I can think of for "leisurely" is as an adverb. "We took a leisurely stroll."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pretty good posted:

That's an adjective

"We took a stroll without haste."

Edit:Nah, I get it, stroll is a noun, so in that case it's an adjective.

"We leisurely took a stroll"

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 27, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

linguistic prescriptivists can leisurely gently caress themselves

Who is being prescriptivist here? Straight White Shark is kinda by saying it's only an adjective, but they're demonstrably wrong about that, so they're a very bad prescriptivist, and no one who's said it's an adverb claimed it couldn't also be an adjective.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Also why/how are there so many dictionary websites?

Merriam Webster, Oxford English or just what Google scrapped off something is all you need. The rest are probably copying from one of the first two, as is Google, but that doesn't require clicking on a second thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

all adjectives and adverbs can get hosed, i want prose thats just verbs and nouns and articles and prepositions

Get hosed.

I was going to post "Sure, get hosed." but "sure" is either an adjective or an adverb

Edit: I'm learning a lot about adverbs thanks to this thread, and me double checking my own bullshit. Did you know "tomorrow" can be an adverb?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 27, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pretty good posted:

I think you mean me and yeah I basically was but then I discovered I was Technically Wrong, I still think it looks weird and bad though

Yes I was, apologies to Straight White Shark for slandering them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, I assume most Japanese kids have a better understanding of English than most Americans have of Japanese, but are there old American games that Japanese kids can only play with a romhack?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That game is loving awesome, so I'm glad Japanese kids have access to it now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This looks cool.

https://twitter.com/romhackingnet/status/1397696938242314241?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What's the best go to SNES emulator for rom hacks these days? I kinda wanna check out that SMW hack but I haven't done emulation in a hard minute.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, IRC is pretty dead aside from warez, and I say this as an IRC liker. I just wish a) the app was better because there's nothing else and b) people would stop using it in lieu of actual websites for things like mod projects and stuff when it comes to putting up the actual files or issue trackers

Having to go to a discord for issues with a mod or whatever that, when I ask, turns out to be a fairly common problem that could be addressed with a loving FAQ, is so infuriating.

Oh gently caress, I just remembered, I use wabbajack (modlist installer for Skyrim and a bunch of other games now) occasionally and they have a button that literally just lists out what the actual mods are in the modlist. If you click it now, it's broken with a specific error code and tells you to report it to the discord, if you report it to the discord like I did the first time it happened you get told by wabbajack developers that it's been broken for a while, and there's no ETA for when it will get fixed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This was before bittorrent was a thing, but I had a roommate who set up a script to automatically download pirated films from IRC channels. It was mostly Russian dvd rips because I wouldn't watch cam videos and dvds were released in Russia early to fight the local cam rip market.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/romhackingnet/status/1534604810879520768?s=20&t=WJ8mR3Tk_0g6BYzxreO59w
I like graphical/text hacks that just let play as a different character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Probably just hooking up your computer to the TV.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bogart posted:

I follow the #SuperFightingRobot hashtag for unrelated reasons, so this was a nice surprise.

It's a sex thing isn't it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FPzero posted:

That inaccessible difficulty spike with romhacks is what continues to inform my own hacking choices. There should be entry level hacks for every game. My own Fire Emblem Sacred Stones hack has that same design mentality.

They are largely designed by people who've played a game to death, for people who've also played that game to death. I have a friend who can beat Sonic The Hedgehog 2 with his feet (or he could when we were in our twenties, I doubt the muscle memory still exists) because he played it so much that was the only challenge.

I'm glad standard difficulty rom hacks exist, because I've played Mario World a poo poo ton, but I still can't beat the challenge poo poo, and I want to play something else. But let's not kid ourselves about the main audience for these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This looks pretty cool. I can't quite tell if it's a retelling of the FF6 story in FFT, or a new story using the same characters, but still looks cool.

https://twitter.com/rpgfancom/status/1674114100945641490?s=20