Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

pretty soft girl posted:

I'm playing through this and I have to say its kind of dry and I probably should have just stuck to Woolsey's script

"Son of a submariner", "slit his mama's throat for a nickel", and "I'm a general, not some opera floozy" all got dropped for some very forgettable versions of those lines. I'm not super familiar with FF6 so those were just the ones that stuck out to me. I've heard that 6 is not as highly regarded in Japan as it was over in the US- no idea if that's true (I always found it odd that 6 is given bare minimum token acknowledgment in terms of remakes/ensemble games so I assumed it is) and I kind of suspect Woolsey's localization is a big contributor to that

Yeah. Some of the Woolsey lines that got changed were definitely downgrades. Contrast "I'll create a monument to non-existence" to "I'll create my own empire... of death." The latter sounds like a futurama joke as told by a 13 year old edge-lord. When Woolsey missed a line, he was way off, but his accurate translations sound a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It also helps if you're back in 1997 and can deal with the bad gameplay.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Every part of Earthbound is great except the gameplay. Too simple Dragon Warrior-esque battle system, annoying maps like the monkey trading cave, limited inventory taken up by quest items, and other issues that EB's contemporaries don't do. The strategy guide mitigates a lot of that, but that's not praise for the gameplay.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The passwords didn't need simultaneous inputs. Just x a b y in order. Or l a r a later on.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Oh yeah; forgot all about that one at the main door.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ogre Battle can be pretty passable if you follow a few easy group building rules.

Separate your "good" units from your "bad." No knights with wizards, no clerics with ninjas, etc. You only need a couple evil units, but 80% should be good.

You can use the good units as your bulwarks. They liberate and defend cities, and they do a lot of the initial combat (made more manageable with clerics). You don't want to kill too many groups with them, except for things like ghosts, demons, etc.

Your evil units wait in the shadows and wipe the groups once they're weak, or when they're trying to retreat. They'll get more kills, meaning more experience, meaning more power / easier kills / alignment drops.

Don't hang around maps more than a couple of days or your rep will tank.

These rules aren't entirely accurate, but you can functionally play the game and actually have the requisites for a lot of things.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
With the way Ogre Battle was such a cult classic, I'm genuinely surprised that there's been no indie game I've seen that just aped it's gameplay.

Tactics Ogre is basically the proto-Final Fantasy Tactics. There's a lot more complexity at times, but much if it you can ignore and focus on your units. It's a pretty great game still and has a PSP release that's somehow both amazing and terrible at the same time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I can't find it right now, but there's someone in Let's Play that's covered a couple SMW romhack design contests. While the levels have some varying quality, they're huge and most of the stages seem fairly accessible. I think they have links to them if you can find the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don’t understand the significance of quoting the final boss’s song lyrics from persona 5 royal.