Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’m staying in Miami for work for about a month and a half and was hoping to get some suggestions for stuff to do during weeknights and weekends.

I will probably be able to take Friday’s off so I’m thinking of renting a car and doing some weekend trips.

My wife will be with me the whole time so romantic stuff is a plus. We’re both fans of roadtrips.

I’m hoping to catch the SpaceX Crew Dragon launch in January so a trip to Cape Canaveral is a given.

The Everglades and Key West are also on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Bars, beach, and coke, OP. Also, the Everglades. Don't miss its primal beauty.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I spent a few months in Miami for work a few years ago and was able to find something fun to do every weekend for three months straight. Cool road trips:

Key West is fun. The drive is great as long as you're willing to devote the time to it. The most scenic part of the Keys is the stretch between Islamorada and Big Pine Key so plan on stopping several times along the way. Many places on Key West will require you to stay for 2-3 nights especially on the most popular weekends. The best Cuban food is in the non-touristy neighborhoods.

Everglades National Park is big. There are a few different places to go and you can't do them all in one day. Shark Valley is neither a valley nor inhabited by sharks. Instead, it's a good place to rent a crappy bike (cheap, but get there early) and ride along the canal full of alligators to a big observation deck. Everglades City is a where you go to do a boat or kayak/canoe tour of the mangroves. The other accessible area is southwest of Homstead. Flamingo is off by itself and is sort of boring. You should go there as part of a drive to all the other sites along the road. Royal Palm is fun to visit just before sunset as all the birds come in to roost.

Tampa makes for a decent weekend trip. Cigar City's a pretty famous brewery if you're into that sort of thing (for a good time, go on Hunahpu's Day). St Pete has a whole museum dedicated to Salvador Dali that's neat. Honeymoon Island and Fort De Soto are both very nice beaches and you should definitely drive over the Sunshine Skyway on the way to or from the area.

Orlando is tolerable if you have to go there for some reason but it's a long drive for a weekend unless you are seriously dedicated to visiting Disney or Universal. There's no reason to drive all the way out there otherwise. Definitely skip Jacksonville. St Augustine is sort of cool if you want to make a weekend out of staying at one of the grand old hotels. It's as much about the history of tourism in Florida as it is the history of European settlement in Florida.

I like the beaches on the Gulf Coast better than the beaches on the Atlantic coast because I'm a fan of the sugar sand. All the towns are crawling with retirees from the Midwest. Sarasota is probably the only place you'd go for the city itself (the Marie Selby Gardens and the Ringling Museum are both worth the trip). Anna Maria Island's pretty pleasant as far as beach towns go. Siesta Key and Sanibel Island regularly show up near the top of lists of best beaches in the country.

My favorite Atlantic beach is probably Canaveral National Seashore because it's genuinely remote. The last parking lot's for the nude beach so either go there or avoid it, depending on your preferences. You should also check out the wildlife drive if you have any interest at all in birds. They may close some or all of it on launch days. Someone else will have to fill you in on the specifics of the launches because I've only seen them from Orlando and the $50 admission fee to the visitor center always scared me off.

Be sure to go kayaking at least once if you're into that sort of thing. It's a perfectly pleasant way to spend a day and you get to tell everyone back home that you paddled down an alligator-infested river (they don't bit unless they're bigger than you, don't worry).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That was exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much.