Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Share your best or worst bosses in this thread.

I had a boss named todd who loved to ski. He was also hopelessly addicted to painkillers. As a result, his meetings loving ruled. He'd let our engineer prattle on for 20 minutes about something, and then ask him to repeat the whole thing in simpler terms over and over again until he whittled fhis loving dork down to a gibbering mess. He'd gift people a hundred dollars worth of wine and then enter it as a bonus in their paycheck, effectively docking a chunk of their gross pay. One time my coworker found him sleeping in the server room at 8 am on saturday, which was weird becauss he didnt have access to it and the two doors it was behind both had hand scanners attached to them.

I think he approved every change I ever proposed, mostly out of sheer ignorance of my actual job function. sometimes i could get out of work hours early because he only cared if things were working correctly. i banked literally weeks of vacation by never putting my time off down in my timesheet because he'd blindly approve that too. I miss that guy.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the supervisor at my last job suspended me for 2 days due to lacking productivity so in those two days I found a better job that pays better and never went back.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I work 3rd shift so I almost never see my boss it's p. cool

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
It's me, I'm the boss. Everyone get back to work.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I shave my boss hog every Thursday

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My bosses have all been pretty chill. My current boss lets me work from home whenever I need to. Boss before that gave me these weird upside-down glasses that he said are perfect for magic mushroom trips. You’d think people working at a bank would be a lot more uptight.

Starting a new job at another bank next month. Looking forward to finally giving my current boss my gamer tag so we can get high and play video games together. He asked what my Xbox name was a while ago and I declined to tell him for obvious reasons...

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
My boss has big honkin' boobs that I love to look at. He's a pretty cool guy too

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

My boss opened up a tab and got everybody free drinks at the staff Christmas party the other day, but I was working noc that night and couldn't get wasted :(

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
My boss has no idea what I actually do so I just keep some technical looking stuff open on one of my screens and watch netflix/browse forums all day on the others it's a pretty sweet gig. My time actually spent working is probably under 4 hours per week. Going to ask for a raise after Christmas and I'm pretty sure I will get one.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
He was an unbelievably pathetic sex pest who only kept his position because he worked until like 8-9pm every day, voluntarily, for free. Couldn't talk to him about anything without it veering into some gross seedy story about his trips to SE Asia.

AFAIK he still works there, slowly replacing every person he has responsibility over into a harem of the youngest and most impressionable girls he could feasibly hire into the role.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

My first boss was my dad, he owned and ran a pharmacy. He believed in doing everything himself; he would get me on the roof of the building and clean the gutters after hours, and he tried to do his own electrical work sometimes because 'how hard can it be to plug in a few wires'. He hated spending money on maintenance unless it was absolutely necessary, and by his definition it almost never was. I recall one year where we were constantly putting buckets and containers around the shop to catch roof leaks when it rained. Some products had to be thrown out because the cardboard would get mouldy over the weekend. He was very frustrating as a boss because he had the attitude that everyone should be grateful that he gave them a job, and need to do exactly what he says because he's the boss and his word is final. He upset people enough that they eventually told him he was a bit of a dick and they were all thinking of quitting en masse. That made him a bit more conscious of how he treated staff until he retired.

My current boss manages IT in a warehousing company, he's a pretty friendly guy and good at what he does. I got introduced to him by my brother who plays at the same football club as him, so he was happy to give me a job straight away without an interview. I am basically his assistant and help by doing all the little jobs like password resets, printer cartridge changes, and stock inventory.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 16, 2018

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I worked for Donald Trump briefly about 5 years ago. And really, I'd say you shouldn't believe everything you read about him, because in reality, he's actually sort of an rear end in a top hat.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Slugworth posted:

I worked for Donald Trump briefly about 5 years ago. And really, I'd say you shouldn't believe everything you read about him, because in reality, he's actually sort of an rear end in a top hat.

did you ever see him crush adderall and snort it?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
One time at a conference in florida i got too drunk. Too drunk to find my way back to the hotel. Like at all. Couldn’t even tell a cab driver which one it was.

My boss has his cab pull over and pulls me onboard and makes fun of me the whole way back to the hotel as I concentrate on not barfing in the cab.

He did not say a word to anybody else about it either till he found out i was telling the story to people, then it became a collaborative “Holy poo poo balls how drunk were we” story time.

Thassa good boss right there.

Same guy also ruined my expectations of how raises work by making my first raise a 20% bump.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I had a Cuban lady that ran the nightclub I was bartending at that told us before New Years night that "this is the night, take every dollar they have, rape them, I don't care" in reference to our dogshit customers.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Buffed up, ate all my consumables, entered the instance. One shot. 10 hours of preparation down the tubes.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
My current series of bosses are all kinda bad.

1) General foreman. Guy tries to pretend that it takes 8 hours a day to attend meetings and order parts, but if you walk up to his hang-out spot, he's usually reading an ebook or watching YouTube so it falls to me to handle all the maintenance calls and do projects he assigns. We are currently short-staffed so there isn't really anyone else on the shift he can ask if he wants things to get done. Despite this, he sandbagged me for a foreman job by saying "well I just don't think you do enough"

2) department supervisor. Nice guy but has that problem where he just agrees with whoever the last person to speak with him was. This makes it difficult to get anything reasonable out of him, and he'll often contradict himself within minutes. He will defend this by saying since he doesn't directly work with us, he relies on other people to report how things are

3) Corporate middle manager. An idiot. A moron. An absolute imbecile. Is more worried that people don't put stuff in the correct recycling bins than solving staffing problems

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
When I was a teenager I worked at a super fancy boutique hotel. One time during a wine tasting in the lobby the owner showed up loving hammered as hell. He proceeded to tell every person we walked past "gently caress you, I own this loving place" and then proceeded to pass out in a chair at the front desk. Me and a coworker had to roll his drunken rear end into our demo room and throw his rear end into the bed.

He ded now

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
My worst boss was a university professor with a new lab start up. I was working as a lab manager, not a grad student nor postdoc nor any other education slave. The guy refused to host weekly lab meetings, so he didn't have any kind of handle on who was doing what in lab (and that's also super unfair to the students who need to learn how to present data). He never spent any time in lab, which is odd for a new research professor who needs to publish papers. He sent us e-mails with experimental schedules from his office which were pretty aggressive (a typical experiment required about 4 days of work, not including analysis). He sent over a new schedule that would require me to work Saturday and Sunday every week. I confronted him and asked if that meant I now had Monday and Tuesday off, which infuriated him. The motherfucker actually thought I would start working 7 days a week with no breaks and no pay bump. This led to a falling out that made me leave the lab, and I lost an authorship on a paper I did all the work for.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
My current boss is a chill dude who just wants everyone to like him and work hard. In the 2.5 years since I have started he has helped me get a 75% increase in my initial pay.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Recently my boss let me drive his new Tesla. Its :piaa: fast.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
My boss gave everyone a gift bag and hand painted our initial on each coffee cup. It was cute.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I had a boss that would constantly call other people in the office on his speakerphone instead of walking down the hall. The problem is he would constantly listen to a radio station website on his computer. The phone would try to filter some of it out but most of the time it just popped in and out twelve times per second. It was especially fun when he would call and forget why and just kind of talk about what he was seeing in the documents open on his screen with no context and then get mad at someone on the call for asking questions.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Rob"
- Spoiled only son that had decent work ethic, talented & pretty chill. But when it was time to party...oh poo poo! When mom&dad took summer Thur/Fridays off, he'd send me off to get lunch & BEER. Yeah, Gorilla get whatever I want (3 cans of FOSTERS) as well. Would also pop open the fire hydrant so we could gently caress around in between customers. Regular clients would not bat an eye talking to us in the showroom while we were standing in the showroom soaking wet selling kitchen/bathroom/Jacuzzis.

- Anytime that Pink Floyd/Allman Brothers/Stones, etc would come to town he always made sure I got a ticket to go with his group. All because I was the only guy that did not take drugs & guarantee that he would get home. Halfway into the show he'd slip me his wallet for "safe keeping", then he'd start dropping whatever acid/shrooms he'd pick up at the show. I didn't give a poo poo because I'd have about 4-5 band shirts from every show.

- Introduced him to poker. Eventually, he had poker nights at the store with the local business owners. Lost the entire day's take (over 15k) & panicked like a bitch. Begged me to help him win it back, which we did. During the game he put up & lost his Selmer Mark VI tenor saxophone. I kept the sax & $300 for which he was eternally grateful for.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Had a manager gut my team and drive out the good workers. He then got promoted and is repeating the process at a higher level.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I got a £1 lottery ticket as a bonus for working over Christmas

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My best boss bought me a 400 dollar case of swiss wine just because he was happy with my work and I told him earlier that I don't really like wine, and he said it's because I don't drink the "good stuff". It was pretty good, but I would definitely not pay like ~65 dollars a bottle for it if it were my own money.

My worst boss systematically destroyed my self esteem through insults, threats and harassment that drove me deeper in to alcoholism/depression leading me to quit academia. He said it was good that I quit because I wasn't "tough enough" to get paid to write papers 5 people on earth will ever read about space clouds and poo poo.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My boss was a strict and effective woman that useless workers always labeled a bitch even though it was simply a case of her actually expecting younger workers to work well and professionally in a health environment. I worked alongside her fun hot and personable daughter (who had a different last name) and at least once a month some dumbass would have a moan about "that bitch"

Good. times.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I never see my boss, I have no idea what he actually does and he gives me zero direction, but I get my step increases annually so overall I’d say he demonstrates great leadership and I’m glad to work for such a great asset to the organization.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My boss is usually an ok guy. Only exception is that occasionally I get pulled away by his boss, a VP to work on special projects. My boss throws an absolute tantrum if something goes wrong and I'm not around to help, usually by text message or email. There's something very satisfying about just deleting a bitchy message from your boss with no consequence.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I had a supervisor (senior in my department who was in charge but not actually a boss) who was a complete dick. Us ground level staff would try to gently caress with him as much as we could. I left the company for 2/3 years then returned as his immediate boss. Good times.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

I had a supervisor (senior in my department who was in charge but not actually a boss) who was a complete dick. Us ground level staff would try to gently caress with him as much as we could. I left the company for 2/3 years then returned as his immediate boss. Good times.

Kicking back on the desk with your taint out, it's now his job to oil your taint, but you pretend you have misplaced the taint oil and ask him to being his in from his office, haha, it's the same bottle as before you left haha, he hasn't even used it up getting his taint oiled, well now, there's something I can help you get done, exboss!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
My boss is a huge coward who takes like fifteen minutes of beating around the bush before she can ask you for overtime. Like, just ask if I want to work, it's easy.

Also the church she goes to is a cult. One time she was talking about crazy drivers and I made a joke about "mercury being in retrograde" or some dumb poo poo, and she thought I was serious and started saying "Oh no no no no! Don't say anything like that, please!"

When you agree to help her with something she keeps saying "Oh bless your heart." Over and over, and it is super loving annoying.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

raton posted:

Kicking back on the desk with your taint out, it's now his job to oil your taint, but you pretend you have misplaced the taint oil and ask him to being his in from his office, haha, it's the same bottle as before you left haha, he hasn't even used it up getting his taint oiled, well now, there's something I can help you get done, exboss!

I don’t know what you do for a living. But you should quit.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
My direct supervisor accused me of trying to sabotage her because I did my job exactly as she asked me to, and then got involved in Gang-crime drama outside of work, and quickly had it follow her into our building's parking lot for a week.

My other boss constantly, shamelessly, and publicly carries on with his mistress in the middle of work all day long with no repercussions for some reason, but the rest of the team is demoralized by the blatant over-the-top special privileges she enjoys because of their relationship.

The head boss is always super-stressed out, angry all the time, and can't keep his finger out of his nose.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

I don’t know what you do for a living. But you should quit.

I used to oil taint but now I get my taint oiled instead :smug:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

raton posted:

I used to oil taint but now I get my taint oiled instead :smug:

noice

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Literally A Person posted:

When I was a teenager I worked at a super fancy boutique hotel. One time during a wine tasting in the lobby the owner showed up loving hammered as hell. He proceeded to tell every person we walked past "gently caress you, I own this loving place" and then proceeded to pass out in a chair at the front desk. Me and a coworker had to roll his drunken rear end into our demo room and throw his rear end into the bed.

He ded now

You had one job, and you hosed it up! You were supposed to throw him in with his face up, not down in the pillows

Oh man we gotta call our story straight before we call the cops...

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

"Rob"
- Spoiled only son that had decent work ethic, talented & pretty chill. But when it was time to party...oh poo poo! When mom&dad took summer Thur/Fridays off, he'd send me off to get lunch & BEER. Yeah, Gorilla get whatever I want (3 cans of FOSTERS) as well. Would also pop open the fire hydrant so we could gently caress around in between customers. Regular clients would not bat an eye talking to us in the showroom while we were standing in the showroom soaking wet selling kitchen/bathroom/Jacuzzis.

- Anytime that Pink Floyd/Allman Brothers/Stones, etc would come to town he always made sure I got a ticket to go with his group. All because I was the only guy that did not take drugs & guarantee that he would get home. Halfway into the show he'd slip me his wallet for "safe keeping", then he'd start dropping whatever acid/shrooms he'd pick up at the show. I didn't give a poo poo because I'd have about 4-5 band shirts from every show.

- Introduced him to poker. Eventually, he had poker nights at the store with the local business owners. Lost the entire day's take (over 15k) & panicked like a bitch. Begged me to help him win it back, which we did. During the game he put up & lost his Selmer Mark VI tenor saxophone. I kept the sax & $300 for which he was eternally grateful for.

this guy loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
On my second week with the company, I found a dead mouse under my coworker’s desk. I picked it up by the tail with a tissue, but I wasn’t sure which trash cans were emptied every day, and didn’t want it sitting in a bin stinking up the place. So I asked the guy standing at the coffee machine if the trash next to us was emptied every day, and kind of waved the mouse around to indicate why. He looked confused for a moment, then said it was. I just said thanks and tossed it. Found out later the guy was the CEO. Oops. At least he seemed impressed at a woman who would pick up a dead mouse.