Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Easy Diff posted:

Clarence Williams III is just the best, he's like Cary Hiriyuka-Tagawa: Never in anything good, but always the best part of anything he's in.

Hey, Mortal Kombat 11 is looking pretty great and Cary Hiriyuka-Tagawa is voicing Shang Tsung (plus they're using his likeness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Easy Diff posted:

Clarence Williams III is just the best, he's like Cary Hiriyuka-Tagawa: Never in anything good, but always the best part of anything he's in.

Watch John Frankeneimer's Against The Wall. Clarence Williams III and Samuel L Jackson lead the Attica prison uprising, Kyle MacLachlan plays one of the guards captured during the siege. The cast is pretty loaded and the movie gets pretty nuts.

"HOT SOUP MOTHERFUCKERS!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikStcnmoSXU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

The weird alien cover names in Buckaroo Banzai that are never explained
https://youtu.be/-riNIqqtIRc

There's so much in Buckaroo Banzai that is never explained (like the watermelon) but the weird thing is that there's a good chance there is an explanation for at least some of that stuff. The scriptwriter Earl Mac Rauch spent years and years writing a whole bunch of different Buckaroo Banzai adventures and creating backstories for all the characters before he finally got a script finished so there's tons and tons of unreleased info on the Buckaroo Banzai milieu out there somewhere.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love Buckaroo Banzai's end credits, which are weird, have cool music and Jeff Goldblum dressed as a garish cowboy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's so much in Buckaroo Banzai that is never explained (like the watermelon) but the weird thing is that there's a good chance there is an explanation for at least some of that stuff. The scriptwriter Earl Mac Rauch spent years and years writing a whole bunch of different Buckaroo Banzai adventures and creating backstories for all the characters before he finally got a script finished so there's tons and tons of unreleased info on the Buckaroo Banzai milieu out there somewhere.

There are two places where they explain some of the stuff, the novelization which was written by Rauch and one of the later home releases has a subtitle track which is just little trivia bits about the movie. Both the book and the trivia track go with the conceit that everything actually happened. The book was written by one of the Hong Kong Cavaliers and the movie is supposed to have been made in universe.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_QCioSGgwU

Alan Arkin doing his gosh darn best to be the stereotypical police chief Anthony LaPaglia wants in his life

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Not specifically a “weird” moment but I’ve always loved Peter Sellers breaking the fourth wall at the end of A Shot in the Dark during the big argument scene. Can’t find it on YouTube unfortunately. I think it’s one of the best examples.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gavok posted:

Hey, Mortal Kombat 11 is looking pretty great and Cary Hiriyuka-Tagawa is voicing Shang Tsung (plus they're using his likeness).

Are they now? That's pretty nice.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
In Jurassic Park, when the guests are on the Mr DNA tour watching the scientists working the eggs in the lab, and the lawyer pipes up with "Are... are these characters, uh, auto... erotica?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdT37F_8jI&t=270s

I don't know if the actor flubbed the line and meant to say "animatronic", if it was improvised, or intentionally written that way, but holy hell it's the moment I think of when I think Jurassic Park the movie not the franchise. Also a very nice character detail because he has no idea what he's talking about, he's just focused on the profit of whatever this weird poo poo he's watching is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bloodcider posted:

In Jurassic Park, when the guests are on the Mr DNA tour watching the scientists working the eggs in the lab, and the lawyer pipes up with "Are... are these characters, uh, auto... erotica?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGdT37F_8jI&t=270s

I don't know if the actor flubbed the line and meant to say "animatronic", if it was improvised, or intentionally written that way, but holy hell it's the moment I think of when I think Jurassic Park the movie not the franchise. Also a very nice character detail because he has no idea what he's talking about, he's just focused on the profit of whatever this weird poo poo he's watching is.

It's in the script. It's just that Martin Ferrero absolutely nailed the delivery.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jurassic Park is a nearly perfect movie tbh

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Lost World has a lot of problems but the deadpan delivery of "How many Sarah's do you think are on this island?" at 0:22 remains one of my favorite punches of dialogue in any movie, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd30dz17Zx8

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FilthyImp posted:

I never considered what a weird duality that would be. Knowing you are an artificial life form, knowing you have a personality, knowing you need to "pass"...

Meanwhile, in Aliens, Bishop is totally upfront about being synthetic and less, uh, fragmented? Interesting stuff there with relation to race, creed and sexual minorities I bet.

As a kid watching Aliens I didn't initially catch /remember he was a synth so when he got impaled by the alien queen and ripped in half it was extra :stonk: because none of his insides looked human yet they were juicy and visceral enough to not explicitly look like a robot so I thought he was some other kind of weird alien that looked human on the outside.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love the old Macauley Culkin movie Pagemaster, and love this ludicrous moment where Adventure comes on to Fantasy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9sG-34iEiw

"How'd you like to... curl up with a good book?"

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

I love the old Macauley Culkin movie Pagemaster, and love this ludicrous moment where Adventure comes on to Fantasy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9sG-34iEiw

"How'd you like to... curl up with a good book?"

That whole movie is a weird moment I love

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Panfilo posted:

As a kid watching Aliens I didn't initially catch /remember he was a synth so when he got impaled by the alien queen and ripped in half it was extra :stonk: because none of his insides looked human yet they were juicy and visceral enough to not explicitly look like a robot so I thought he was some other kind of weird alien that looked human on the outside.

People thought that with Ash when they first saw Alien as well because there was no development for androids at that point outside of the post hoc hints.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Panfilo posted:

I first saw that bit when I was like, five, flipping channels on my little bedroom TV. FX was showing it and they didn't censor Bishop's death at all.

Surprisingly, I went on to become a hardcore Alien fanboy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Darko posted:

People thought that with Ash when they first saw Alien as well because there was no development for androids at that point outside of the post hoc hints.

What were the hints? Did he not eat or something? I know story wise Ash was the quintessential Company Man Wayland Yutani secretly used to spy on employees and look for alien stuff.

What was so jarring was the white "blood" squirting everywhere (I wouldn't be shocked if this was some analogue for semen or something since there was so much subtle sexual imagery in the film). As a kid I thought it was milk because I thought I remember he drinks a glass of milk before he goes berserk .

Fun observation: Ash was seen as creepy and sinister. So by Aliens Ripley has a Sarah Connor type paranoia about synths,yet Bishop is actually a nice robot who is very honest about his role, wins present at a point in time where synths aren't some secret. The Colonial Marines treat him as a novelty and his Robotness is revealed very early on with the drop of white "blood"on his finger . Then in Ressurection we come full circle, with Ripley8 figuring out Winonabot right away due to the fact that the second gen synths were meant to imitate human emotion so accurately they came off as super emo people in a pretty gritty and grimdark future where everybody else is a smarmy rear end in a top hat.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BLEH.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Just noticed that Whoopie Goldberg Book's underwear got loosened in the exchange and she pulls it up and farts out pixie dust indignantly

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'll see that and raise you Walter Peck's utterly bizarre marshmallow-doused scream in Ghostbusters

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Panfilo posted:

What were the hints? Did he not eat or something? I know story wise Ash was the quintessential Company Man Wayland Yutani secretly used to spy on employees and look for alien stuff.

What was so jarring was the white "blood" squirting everywhere (I wouldn't be shocked if this was some analogue for semen or something since there was so much subtle sexual imagery in the film). As a kid I thought it was milk because I thought I remember he drinks a glass of milk before he goes berserk .

Fun observation: Ash was seen as creepy and sinister. So by Aliens Ripley has a Sarah Connor type paranoia about synths,yet Bishop is actually a nice robot who is very honest about his role, wins present at a point in time where synths aren't some secret. The Colonial Marines treat him as a novelty and his Robotness is revealed very early on with the drop of white "blood"on his finger . Then in Ressurection we come full circle, with Ripley8 figuring out Winonabot right away due to the fact that the second gen synths were meant to imitate human emotion so accurately they came off as super emo people in a pretty gritty and grimdark future where everybody else is a smarmy rear end in a top hat.

Cut scenes, he practiced human behavior by randomly running in place and keeping the alien on the ship and stuff. In movie, he was just aligned with a pro Alien agenda on rewatch, but no way you could tell first time.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The characters in Alien generally talk in a naturalistic way, kind of sloppy and occasionally hard to hear-- except for Ash. Every sentence of his is grammatically perfect, clipped and precise. The way he moves around is kind of fussily efficient, while the others sort of slouch and amble.

Again, there's nothing in there that makes you go "That guy's a robot!", but there's definitely a difference between him and the others, which becomes obvious in hindsight.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I can't remember if it was only in the directors cut or a deleted scene, but Ripley and Lambert have a scene where they're discussing sleeping with the other crew members, and they mention Ash has never slept with either of them, and thought it was weird.

I thought that was an interesting part that there was something 'off' about Ash, but not that he was an android.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
In Alien Resurrection, when they're first poking at Ripley 8 and she tries to choke the guy out and the marine just runs in there with a big rear end cattle prod and blows her straight off the table she's on :lol:

e: also Ron Perlman shooting a spider

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The moment at the end of the clip where the underworld priest just looks up like "now what?" at the Deetzs is a great little moment that I've always found highly amusing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The moment at the end of the clip where the underworld priest just looks up like "now what?" at the Deetzs is a great little moment that I've always found highly amusing.

Same. I thought, "Uhh, is he stuck here? Beetlejuice summoned him, is he gonna just awkwardly scoot back out that door?"

As a kid I didn't really pick up on the immigration joke with Beetlejuice trying to stay in the world of the living (hence needing to marry Lydia) until much later. He kind of mentions it in passing and the afterlife is set up as this big beaurocracy so it makes sense.

I also find it funny how they address how stupid it is that saying his name 3 times since he seems to have no control over getting summoned or banished.

quote:

"Because if I tell you, you'll tell your friends, your friends are callin' me on the horn all the time, I gotta show up at shopping centers for openings and sign autographs and poo poo like that and it makes my life a hell . Okay? A living hell."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Panfilo posted:

I also find it funny how they address how stupid it is that saying his name 3 times since he seems to have no control over getting summoned or banished.

quote:

"Because if I tell you, you'll tell your friends, your friends are callin' me on the horn all the time, I gotta show up at shopping centers for openings and sign autographs and poo poo like that and it makes my life a hell . Okay? A living hell."

Yeah tell me about it.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The little whistle as Nedry slips and falls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNoWveBtrZc&t=41s

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That loving slide whistle

I also like the Three Stooges fight in Jack Reacher; the entire rest of the movie has nothing to do with the Stooges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE0oDPBslUs

(It does have Werner Herzog as the bad guy but he's in too much of the movie to really call it a weird "moment")

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That piece of slapstick reminded me of the "delayed Quaaludes" scene in The Wolf of Wall Street. Especially the part where Belfort grabs some cocaine to regain control of his body, while a Popeye cartoon is playing on the television. I don't think I ever laughed harder in the cinema before and/or since.

Here is a lovely quality version: https://vimeo.com/83905510

It's probably not really a weird moment in a movie like that tho.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 30, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I never considered what a weird duality that would be. Knowing you are an artificial life form, knowing you have a personality, knowing you need to "pass"...

Meanwhile, in Aliens, Bishop is totally upfront about being synthetic and less, uh, fragmented? Interesting stuff there with relation to race, creed and sexual minorities I bet.

Alien owes a terrific amount to 2001, so my first thought is to reference this as another example of how artificial intelligence being forced to have emotions and pretend to be human leads to their insanity.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Easy Diff posted:

In Amazing Spider-Man 2 (the bad Garfield ones), the first fight with Electro in Times Square has this utterly bizarre, apparently diagentical Greek Chorus out of nowhere singing along with the score insulting Electro, like "they hate you, you're not spider-man, look at you, you're electro!" and it's so baffling different than anything I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVhdV6z1tsk

Like, the idea I guess is Dillon is having a mental breakdown after becoming super-powered, but it's just so incredibly baffling

That whole scene, especially the music (that loving clarinet!), is wonderfully bonkers and intense. The ridiculously emotional crowd, the dramatic "boom boom boom" as the screens change, the literal dubstep powers. At least it was more interesting than the enjoyable-mush of every other spider-man movie.

It doesn't work at all for a spider-man movie, and the goblin stuff is horrendous. Shoulda just been a standalone supervillain movie.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The ASM2 costume is really good though, big-eyed Spider-Man is the best Spider-Man

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

My favourite use of the slide whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzCIbhLUUA0

Mind you, this is not in a movie I love or even like.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I need to work on my project of recutting the ASMs to be one good movie

I’m still waiting for a Richard Donner style cut of ASM2, from what I understand it got butchered in editing. They cut the entire MJ subplot.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Coffee And Pie posted:

I need to work on my project of recutting the ASMs to be one good movie

I’m still waiting for a Richard Donner style cut of ASM2, from what I understand it got butchered in editing. They cut the entire MJ subplot.

ASM2 is a fascinating piece of cinema when paired with the leaked Sony stuff. I hesitate to even call it a "film," as it has so much more in common with a sizzle reel for multiple projected franchises that blew up before getting out of the garage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tart Kitty posted:

ASM2 is a fascinating piece of cinema when paired with the leaked Sony stuff. I hesitate to even call it a "film," as it has so much more in common with a sizzle reel for multiple projected franchises that blew up before getting out of the garage.

Venom did well and apparently the Morbius movie is real, I wouldn't be surprised if they did at least one more.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sjs00 posted:

Your loving loss dude. He just uploaded the part where Stormherald dies

That's just a fancy way of saying "weatherman"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tart Kitty posted:

If I remember right wasn't this when there was the MTV guy or something, and he had all these ideas about how they can get XXXTREME with it. And the other one was Kevin Feige running down all the poo poo they should fix.