Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Saw it once, gonna watch it again. That's pretty much my "great movie" qualifier.

I hadn't considered how the vaugeness of the movie will appeal to people who dont normally like war documentaries, gonna highlight that.

Also I think this is out of theaters now, but if you see a showing, stay for Peter Jackson explaining how they restored the footage after the end of the movie.

One particular bit of added narration they did involved them looking through archives to see what the guy in frame could possibly be reading to his troops, finding the likely documents, and reading his lips to confirm exactly what he was reading. It's the first time anyone has understood what the guy is saying in 100 years.

(guy on the left)

They also restored a lot of footage that was previously considered totally unusable for documentary purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So what was he saying?

I just spent about 30m looking for any version of the footage on YouTube, so the answer currently is "watch and see."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hey good news, the Blu Ray will include the stuff I was discussing earlier in the thread with Jackson explaining the restoration process.

https://www.avforums.com/review/they-shall-not-grow-old-blu-ray-review.15612