Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the McMahons FINALLY being back in charge?
This poll is closed.
Oh thank God, FINALLY! It's been so long! 5 5.00%
Who? It's been so long I forgot who they are! 1 1.00%
Is Jack Tunney okay? 44 44.00%
.... THE BIG DOG! 50 50.00%
Total: 100 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Apparently someone uploaded parts of last night's house show to Instagram. Asuka is already thriving as champion. She cut a promo thanking the crowd, and saying she is in "Champion Mode" right now, and could break everyone in the ring right now. Which meant Becky, Charlotte, and The Miz. The best part was she threw some fakeout punches and kicks at the Miz and he immediately cowered in the corner.

Oh yeah, and the triple threat match was said to be really good. Around 15 minutes long, and Asuka won after she made Charlotte tap out.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
God I'm so drat happy that Asuka is back. I need a woman screaming in Japanese while she kick someone's rear end in my life.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vaguido posted:

I think it owns that they promise to make things better, have basically the same kind of show as always, and on top of it, they promise new faces and only call up people that no one could possibly care about, because heaven forbid you shake up NXT storylines by calling up an actual star.

The only thing stupider than Raw was expecting Raw to do a complete 180 overnight

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The only thing stupider than Raw was expecting Raw to do a complete 180 overnight

Not true. Remember when the announcers were super into Lucha House Party, but then later the same episode got upset about a handicap?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Not true. Remember when the announcers were super into Lucha House Party, but then later the same episode got upset about a handicap?

Why would I choose to remember that

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Vince came in to shake up his baby, but it was already dead.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I assumed the LHP rules were to make up for the weight handicap the 205 guys had when competing in the heavyweight division.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I didn't expect it to do a complete 180 overnight. I'm not asking for them to fly in the Undisputed Era and Gargano for Raw and take over or something. They had video packages/announcements for six different acts and exactly 0 of them are stars or even worth talking about. The only one remotely close was Nikki Cross, and she's not even that over anymore.

All they had to do was announce one (1) star that is a big deal, and they didn't have the stones to do it because what if they had to rewrite a storyline for their upcoming Takeover PPV.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Adding an NXT star to the roster does literally nothing to actually fix Raw. Talent is not their problem and never has been.

Every single person in this thread has complained about WWE's obsession with heel authority figures, and they came out last night and basically put an immediate end to that, and the reaction from the thread has been "WELL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT ALL!!" Don't get me wrong, none of the changes they made last night are big deals yet, and it's going to take time for any meaningful changes to take effect, and by no means do they deserve your trust or your patience. But as far as what they said so far, frankly, it far exceed my expectations, and I have no idea how anyone can claim they didn't change anything or that they expected more from this company.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
wwe's root problem isn't authority figures, its that they have no idea how to write a compelling character. they've just been trying to recapture the lightening in a bottle of mcmahon/austin for so long it seems like all they know how to do is heel authority stories. vince wants total control over a product that historically has been popular when the wrestlers are allowed to develop their characters

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

Vince came in to shake up his baby, but it was already dead.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't say that was their root problem, I just said it's a problem, and one they instantly addressed last night. So I'm not sure where people get off claiming "nothing changed," or what expectations they possibly could've had for the show that left them disappointed. It's not as if the McMahons are ever going to stop being huge narcissists. That ship has sailed.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Wrestling worked perfectly fine without authority figures for decades but now we need at least 2 per show, loving everything up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

fair enough but i fully expect heel steph to be back once 2019 rolls in

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Authority figures are fine just don’t make them the center of the show. Have them show up when there’s a big arguement between wrestlers and make a match.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dimebags Brain posted:

Authority figures are fine just don’t make them the center of the show. Have them show up when there’s a big arguement between wrestlers and make a match.

That's what Paige does and she's great!

Unrelated: did anyone ever confirm if Dakota Kai indeed tore her ACL?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
The problems with raw is literally everything. It's the most joyless show on tv. Nothing unpredictable happens, matches mean nothing, no one is over. The fans don't care, the wrestlers are there to collect a check. The actual filming of the show is bad, the commentators are bad. The only good thing they have is the actual talent but because no one is over that means it doesn't matter as well. Raw is just bad.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
how do you guys think WWE is going to build up new stars now that they have no existing stars to pass the torch

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Baron Corbin posted:

how do you guys think WWE is going to build up new stars now that they have no existing stars to pass the torch

Accidentally. And most of them they'll not realize what they had until too late.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Baron Corbin posted:

Hire them from UFC

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

https://mobile.twitter.com/WWEStats/status/1074867402872160256

Mickie has now passed Trish to claim the title of most Raw matches by a woman. That's pretty cool. Her comeback has been good, imo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Adding an NXT star to the roster does literally nothing to actually fix Raw. Talent is not their problem and never has been.

Every single person in this thread has complained about WWE's obsession with heel authority figures, and they came out last night and basically put an immediate end to that, and the reaction from the thread has been "WELL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT ALL!!" Don't get me wrong, none of the changes they made last night are big deals yet, and it's going to take time for any meaningful changes to take effect, and by no means do they deserve your trust or your patience. But as far as what they said so far, frankly, it far exceed my expectations, and I have no idea how anyone can claim they didn't change anything or that they expected more from this company.

They could make the shows not suck in a day if they wanted to. That's the one and only expectation, a watchable TV show.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Andrast posted:

Hire them from UFC

Or from youtube/twitch

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Kimoa Kid posted:

This is a legitimate question, what actually changed last night? Like, even tiny changes. I don't see any in the OP but I didn't watch last night.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

The_Rob posted:

The problems with raw is literally everything. It's the most joyless show on tv. Nothing unpredictable happens, matches mean nothing, no one is over. The fans don't care, the wrestlers are there to collect a check. The actual filming of the show is bad, the commentators are bad. The only good thing they have is the actual talent but because no one is over that means it doesn't matter as well. Raw is just bad.

Given this...when/why was Raw ever considered the "A" show of WWE?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is a legitimate question, what actually changed last night? Like, even tiny changes. I don't see any in the OP but I didn't watch last night.

More McMahons!!!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

TV Zombie posted:

More people watch it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I wonder if they will do like TNA and introduce that fan poll to vote on the next world title challenger. I wonder if they'll do like TNA and get mad and close it down in 2 weeks, furious at Finn Balor or someone getting votes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

smackdown was taped filler for years

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The_Rob posted:

There's also the complete lack of any kind of long form storytelling.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

They could make the shows not suck in a day if they wanted to. That's the one and only expectation, a watchable TV show.

Yes, if it weren't for the fact that the flaws in the show are reflections of the flaws of the people in charge of the show. Unfortunately we live in reality, where no one sub-Mister Rogers - and certainly not the McMahons - responds to criticism with an instant acceptance of their mistakes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't watch but someone said Shane killed the rematch clause rule, which is good I guess.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't watch but someone said Shane killed the rematch clause rule, which is good I guess.

It was in a very low-key, easy to take it back kinda way so be don't get your hopes up too much.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Yes, if it weren't for the fact that the flaws in the show are reflections of the flaws of the people in charge of the show. Unfortunately we live in reality, where no one sub-Mister Rogers - and certainly not the McMahons - responds to criticism with an instant acceptance of their mistakes.

So the show still sucks and nothing has meaningfully changed.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Put the mastermind behind the Man and the new Daniel Bryan, Road Dogg, in charge of Raw if you really wanna fix it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My suggestion to fix Raw: Change Ronda's theme song to Get Rowdy and have R Truth sing her out every time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

So the show still sucks and nothing has meaningfully changed.

If you are expected the show to reinvent itself overnight you are a crazy person. The only truly meaningful change they can make is taking power away from Vince, and every single change they made last night - no matter how small - was in its own way a repudiation of his decisions. They masked it in kayfabe and blamed Corbin but it was obvious what it was. Vince needs to delegate responsibility to his producers and writers and stop acting as the last word on everything. Not sure if you noticed but "I can't do this all myself" was a sentence he literally spoke last night. But again, expecting Raw to wash away all its mistakes overnight is stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid as hell.

E: Also, of course the sensible assumption to make is that Vince is just going to blame his underlings and nothing substantive will change in their operational structure long-term, but it is worth noting that Vince looked a broken man.

wicka fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 18, 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I was thinking about when Kenny Omega finally won the title from Okada and how after it truly felt like something big had happened. Like it really felt like a changing of the guard. When is the last time you saw a title change in wwe and it felt like any kind of deal at all.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

But again, expecting Raw to wash away all its mistakes overnight is stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid as hell.

No it's not. You just find the things people didn't like about the product and don't book those things.

The show opened with a 30 minute promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Aphrodite posted:

My suggestion to fix Raw: Change Ronda's theme song to Get Rowdy and have R Truth sing her out every time.

Oh hell yeah