Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the McMahons FINALLY being back in charge?
This poll is closed.
Oh thank God, FINALLY! It's been so long! 5 5.00%
Who? It's been so long I forgot who they are! 1 1.00%
Is Jack Tunney okay? 44 44.00%
.... THE BIG DOG! 50 50.00%
Total: 100 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm excited about Nikki Cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

pressedbunny posted:

Yeah, Sanity have done such great things since leaving NXT, such as

Who cares

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

This is a very silly/stupid thing to say about a show that was on the West Coast

Still way past my bedtime

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vaguido posted:

I think it owns that they promise to make things better, have basically the same kind of show as always, and on top of it, they promise new faces and only call up people that no one could possibly care about, because heaven forbid you shake up NXT storylines by calling up an actual star.

The only thing stupider than Raw was expecting Raw to do a complete 180 overnight

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Not true. Remember when the announcers were super into Lucha House Party, but then later the same episode got upset about a handicap?

Why would I choose to remember that

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Adding an NXT star to the roster does literally nothing to actually fix Raw. Talent is not their problem and never has been.

Every single person in this thread has complained about WWE's obsession with heel authority figures, and they came out last night and basically put an immediate end to that, and the reaction from the thread has been "WELL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT ALL!!" Don't get me wrong, none of the changes they made last night are big deals yet, and it's going to take time for any meaningful changes to take effect, and by no means do they deserve your trust or your patience. But as far as what they said so far, frankly, it far exceed my expectations, and I have no idea how anyone can claim they didn't change anything or that they expected more from this company.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't say that was their root problem, I just said it's a problem, and one they instantly addressed last night. So I'm not sure where people get off claiming "nothing changed," or what expectations they possibly could've had for the show that left them disappointed. It's not as if the McMahons are ever going to stop being huge narcissists. That ship has sailed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dimebags Brain posted:

Authority figures are fine just don’t make them the center of the show. Have them show up when there’s a big arguement between wrestlers and make a match.

That's what Paige does and she's great!

Unrelated: did anyone ever confirm if Dakota Kai indeed tore her ACL?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

They could make the shows not suck in a day if they wanted to. That's the one and only expectation, a watchable TV show.

Yes, if it weren't for the fact that the flaws in the show are reflections of the flaws of the people in charge of the show. Unfortunately we live in reality, where no one sub-Mister Rogers - and certainly not the McMahons - responds to criticism with an instant acceptance of their mistakes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

So the show still sucks and nothing has meaningfully changed.

If you are expected the show to reinvent itself overnight you are a crazy person. The only truly meaningful change they can make is taking power away from Vince, and every single change they made last night - no matter how small - was in its own way a repudiation of his decisions. They masked it in kayfabe and blamed Corbin but it was obvious what it was. Vince needs to delegate responsibility to his producers and writers and stop acting as the last word on everything. Not sure if you noticed but "I can't do this all myself" was a sentence he literally spoke last night. But again, expecting Raw to wash away all its mistakes overnight is stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid as hell.

E: Also, of course the sensible assumption to make is that Vince is just going to blame his underlings and nothing substantive will change in their operational structure long-term, but it is worth noting that Vince looked a broken man.

wicka fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 18, 2018

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vaguido posted:

No it's not. You just find the things people didn't like about the product and don't book those things.

The show opened with a 30 minute promo.

One of the things people don't like about the product is Baron Corbin, and that 30 minute promo was largely spent mocking him. It is comically easy to draw a line between common fan complaints and nearly every single segment they ran last night. It's also easy to see how and why their attempts to address those complaints landed wide of the mark. It is absurd to expect them to change absolutely everything about how they book the show literally overnight, especially considering it was the doubleheader holiday show AND the post-TLC show. I can't even begin to comprehend the failed logic in that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

So....

The show still sucks and nothing has meaningfully changed.

That would be why people were saying "WELL ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAS CHANGED AT ALL!!"

This isn't a debate dude, numerous things objectively changed, knock it off with the lovely trolling.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

What objectively changed?

The very first thing they did was to get rid of and mock the universally loathed on-screen heel GM, it wasn't even subtle. They bashed you over the head with it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Ignore that it was the other 4 on screen heel gms doing that and thats great! Hooray wrestling is saved good jorb all.

1. They all acted like faces 2. I was asked for one example and I didn't say it saved the show

Stop doing poo poo like this, it's childish.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vaguido posted:

Okay, I guess having a 30 minute promo where the management that ruined the show fellate themselves by attacking a proxy is fine.

When Michael Scott failed to pay those kids' tuition in Scott's Tots, did you expect Greg Daniels to appear on screen and make things right?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

They showed their commitment to change with a 30 minute long talking segment involving the McMahons and Corbin and literally repeating what they'd done the previous night at the PPV. And Corbin's not even going to be off TV for a week. So. What the gently caress are you talking about?

I'm explaining a thing that changed in response to being asked what changed, I thought that was clear

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

That literally does nothing. They set up and get rid of heel GM's all the time. Eric Bicschoff was literally thrown into trash. The show has still been lovely for ever a decade.

You asked what changed and I answered. Stop shifting the goalposts. It's very very easy for you to say "OK, I was wrong." Try it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

:lol: @ me for thinking they might let him come back as a face.

So they changed by doing the exact same poo poo they always do, and then spending the rest of the episode doing the exact same poo poo they always do, right down to Steph badgering all the female talent like they're a bunch of loving schoolchildren.

Irrelevant to the question

The_Rob posted:

That's a change in the literal script. We're talking about what in the scope of the actual show has changed.

You might be now, because I answered your question and you've chosen to shift the goalposts. And regardless, having heel GMs is a pretty major part of the recent shows, and a big reason why they sucked rear end to watch.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

There are moments that change the business forever. Wrestlemania taking WWE national and making household names of Vince's stars. Nitro launching directly into Raw's face and initiating a battle that would pull the business into its golden era. Baron Corbin being mildly taunted by the actual versions of his character.

See, why do you do this? Why can't we have a normal conversation? You guys asked for one example of a thing that changed and I mentioned the very first change that happened on the show. It wasn't an exhaustive list and it wasn't a suggestion that it's changed the company or the business forever. Why write this shitheel response when you could just say "OK" or nothing at all?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I am just going to leave it at this:

WWE's problem is Vince. Vince needs to delegate the production of these shows to his writers and stop interfering in that process. He needs to be a CEO and he needs to be far loving away from gorilla. That is the only way to actually change anything about the quality of the programming. And every single time they openly acknowledge that something on Raw is bad, they are tacitly acknowledging that a decision Vince made is bad. To me, that's a big deal. Last night I saw an absolutely defeated looking man come out and, in storyline terms, basically say "the show that I run is lovely." Is that actually going to result in him taking a step back? Who the fucks knows. He's stubborn as poo poo so probably not; but on the other hand, he likes money and Fox likes ratings, so maybe he's spooked. I don't know. All I know is that you are absolutely not going to get the answer to that question from one show, especially not a show in this context (i.e. post-PPV, doubling up for the holiday season, etc).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Now does ANYONE have info on Dakota Kai, I never heard the results of her MRI and I am hoping beyond hope it was somehow just a severe ligament sprain.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

Here's the other side of it.

Vince is a carny. He lies every time words come out of his stupid loving mouth. They do this "it's a NEW ERA with NEW SUPERSTARS and it's gonna be about the WWE UNIVERSE not the authority figures!" shtick all the time, they did it when they started "The New Era" in 2016 with the brand split and both shows have gone through periods of watchable to absolute garbage with constant authority figure drama since then.

They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. What you might see as concessions and admissions of guilt, everybody else sees as more lies. Until the show actually meaningfully changes in the way it's scripted and presented, people are going to keep saying "Well this is the same stupid show that I hate." Little incremental stuff means absolutely nothing.

Everything you just said here is exactly true and exactly why expecting hard evidence of that meaningful change yesterday was absurd. I am aware of what they have done in the past, but I am not aware of another time in the past when they have had an inflated stock price balancing on massive TV deals that are dependent on them reaching ratings marks they are currently well short of, therefore I believe that a guy who is very good at making money (and who is about to spend a whole bunch of it on the XFL) might well take drastic steps to address those problems, and why he might do so in a way that makes him appear like the hero instead of the problem. Or, not. But all those hypothetical changes would take place behind the scenes and manifest themselves over several weeks/months, not three hours, even though to me the changes they made yesterday were unusual enough in their tone to suggest the potential of something more. Or, maybe not.

(I also remember Vince announcing previous new eras with bombast and aplomb, not looking like he was told he had six months to live just as his music hit.)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Trans people are people, I'm a shitposter not a shitperson

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao, I just realized the only uninjured women on the entire Raw roster who played no role in that gauntlet match were Nia and Tamina.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

if they had been in the match the only uninjured women on the entire Raw roster would be Ronda and Nia

You don't think Nia could find a way to hurt herself?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Handcuff Bayley to Paul Heyman until she learns how to talk

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

This didn't work for Cesaro

Bayley still has all her chompers

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

He came out to big cheers for his whole family, said Raw sucked, but took no blame whatsoever for it and then spent half an hour pinning everything wrong with the show on fictional character Baron Corbin.

These posts are so fuckin weird to me. Yes, fictional character Mr. McMahon appeared on a fictional show and blamed the struggles of said show on the fictional character who is fictionally responsible for it, Baron Corbin.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sasha was way better as a heel, and they've ruined her by forcing her to be a generic babyface in order to team with Bayley, so the obvious solution is to turn Bayley heel by being an aggressive hugger who violates your personal space.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

Sasha works as a babyface but only when she's the Vegeta to Bayley's Goku.

I'm gonna need a different analogy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Just in case you thought that Smackdown would go untouched tonight, I have some bad news. Apparently WWE is teasing the McMahons will be at Smackdown tonight to shake things up.

Presumably they are there to apologize to Paige in person for implying all their GMs were doing a bad job.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

They all walk into a locker room, lulled by a big box of HGH, and Paige slams the door shut from the outside and braces herself against it as smoke rises from beneath the frame.

Out of the ashes tumbles one undamaged box of HGH labeled "Magical Neck-fixing Medicine." And Paige mourned, for there was nothing else left to conquer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

rovert posted:

The current plan and it is common sense is:

Lars to Raw
Lacey to Raw
EC3 to Smackdown
Nikki to Smackdown
Heavy Machinery to Smackdown

Send heavy machinery to Raw and bulldoze it

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

rovert what are they doing with Paige? Tell me Paige will still be around

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bryan needs to feud with a face who points out that 70% of pollution is produced by the top 100 companies, or whatever that stat is.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VJeff posted:

Jimmy Jacobs was on WOL talking about the creative process for WWE and if you don't wanna listen to the episode, somebody transcribed most of it: https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1034025-jimmy-jacobs-wwe-writing

He kinda dances around it but it sounds like having to get stuff through Vince sucks.

This is great, thanks for posting it. If Road Dogg's official job title isn't "road lead writer" I'm gonna be furious.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I thought Paige was stepping away from TV to go do promo for her movie.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Is that really how matches are rated tho?

That is 100% not how Dave rates matches. Also he absolutely slated every single thing about that match, not just the context.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just wanna remind all the Charlotte haters that she's main-evented two PPV's recently and both matches were match of the year candidate quality

Not only did she hold up her end against the always rad Becky and Asuka but she takes the sickest bumps and killed herself in both matches to make them great

Ember Moon is still my favorite wrestle lady though

Like 80% of all the best WWE women's matches involve Charlotte getting her rear end kicked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

"But she doesn't deserve the push she gets" the voices cried out as she continued to put on great matches where she destroys her own body for their entertainment

To be fair, there are lots of talented women on the roster these days, and as much as I love Charlotte it is annoying to see her win the title for the 37th time.