Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Reposurgeon update
To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 08:11:48 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Reposurgeon update
Translation from Python to Go is now 90% complete. Early results
indicate a speedup of at least 3-4x on fast-import-stream reads; if I
get a similar speedup on Subversion stream reads (which I think is
very likely) that should pull my GCC test runs down below three hours
each. And more speed gains than that seem quite likely as I've only
spend a couple of hours on performance tuning so far.

I don't know yet because most of the remaining 10% is in fact the
Subversion dump stream reader. At least the major blocker I described
in my last update has been removed; it's just effort and testing from
here.

Realistically, another serious attack on the repository conversion is
probably about two months out. But progress is being made.
--
Eric S. Raymond

"The state calls its own violence `law', but that of the individual `crime'"
-- Max Stirner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lame that you cannot ninja edit thread titles

apostrophes for everyone

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
What’s left to be said

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i don't know, maybe now since you're here you could add that systemd is not following unix principles?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Now that's devops

is there really a crowd clamoring for svn's entire development history to be ported to git?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Tankakern posted:

i don't know, maybe now since you're here you could add that systemd is not following unix principles?
I’d rather point out git’s blatant disregard for the Unix Spec’s command line option conventions

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Stallman’s dumb refusal to modularize gcc makes git possibly the worst vc choice

elite_garbage_man posted:

Now that's devops

is there really a crowd clamoring for svn's entire development history to be ported to git?
Probably, devs seem increasingly oblivious that there have ever been other vc systems

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 18, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

Stallman’s dumb refusal to modularize gcc makes git possibly the worst vc choice
This also makes it a bad choice for the Linux kernel btw

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG2MnhrrY7s

Eric Raymond, Go Awaymond

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
someone should tell eric that git is the sjw vcs

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm the archetypal scruffy hacker type
*unkempt moustache grows over top lip and into mouth*

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'm assuming he blames the delays on black people? that's usually his reason for things

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i'll just use msvc or clang if I need c++ for some reason, thanks

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
isn't esr busy writing ntpsec and/or revolutionizing ai machine learning or whatever

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
esr took undeserved credit for others' work on curses and he sucks to boot

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
is reposurgeon some vital piece of gcc infrastructure? it already claims to support git. it sounds like esr is rewriting it for performance but why would a vc rewriter be important to day-to-day performance...?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
seems like esr attaches himself to a bunch of projects and does gently caress all

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

rjmccall posted:

is reposurgeon some vital piece of gcc infrastructure? it already claims to support git. it sounds like esr is rewriting it for performance but why would a vc rewriter be important to day-to-day performance...?

gcc's history is apparently so big/complicated that things like reposurgeon use terabytes of RAM to deal with it

in this case you could seed a git repo with just the contents of released tarballs of gcc, one commit for eahc, with commit messages like 'GCC 7.3.0' and have everyone start developing on top of that, saying "if you want to download the whole svn repo for a more detailed blame/annotate, then heres a dump of it that you can load into a local svn server to do whatever you want with"

but if this project keeps esr busy and keeps him from interfering with anything important, then that sounds like a win-win

e: and/or of course just keep the current svn server running and publicly accessible, but read-only

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 19, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rjmccall posted:

you're talking about someone who pats himself on the back for changing all the int flags in a project to bools

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Lysidas posted:

in this case you could seed a git repo with just the contents of released tarballs of gcc, one commit for eahc, with commit messages like 'GCC 7.3.0' and have everyone start developing on top of that, saying "if you want to download the whole svn repo for a more detailed blame/annotate, then heres a dump of it that you can load into a local svn server to do whatever you want with"

yeah unless it's relatively simple to migrate i just don't see why this isn't a good enough solution.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
while i'm sure that sounds like a good idea over at martha's drivethrough app emporium, i assume the gcc devs correctly see preserving history as a core requirement of vc migration. "download this multi-terabyte image and run your own svn server" is not an acceptable solution

otoh it sounds like git-svn basically works fine and could have been fixed/tweaked to get the results esr wants but that's just not how he rolls, friend, so instead he's going to rewrite reposurgeon until it scales

also one of the changes he wants is apparently rewriting references to svn commit numbers, which is just not a good idea to start with

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

sounds like they already have enough gits on the project

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
This autist's work.. this autist's work
Oooh it's hard on a man

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
will be funny if that git repo ends up being so unwieldy that they have to use microsoft's gvfs to work with it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
esr is the worst human being in tech

He's barely even a programmer. He wrote a book full of obvious bullshit and picked up maintenance on some codebase no one ever heard of. He's a carpetbagger and a fraud and I'm glad he's been pauperized by his choices.

And of course, the obligatory link to his larping resume

http://www.catb.org/esr/larp.html

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

strange, eric forgot to list 'programmer' in his roleplaying experience

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

:drat:

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

Lysidas posted:

gcc's history is apparently so big/complicated that things like reposurgeon use terabytes of RAM to deal with it

lol, I remember this. according to the last thread, the problem is that it won't work on his PC that has a whole 64GB of RAM. it's nice to see that he's still too stupid to use AWS or whatever, and would rather spend years writing horrible code.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

:wow:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
reminder that esr called black people "alien poo poo zombies"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

reminder that esr called black people "alien poo poo zombies"

iirc he was very specific in that it was NOT black people and honestly I don't really imagine him having a lot of contact with actual black people irl so Im guessing maybe indian?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

regardless:

rotor posted:

esr is the worst human being in tech

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

iirc he was very specific in that it was NOT black people and honestly I don't really imagine him having a lot of contact with actual black people irl so Im guessing maybe indian?

don't give him the benefit of any doubt

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

doubt of what, exactly

is one better to hate than the other

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Soldier of Fortran posted:

lol, I remember this. according to the last thread, the problem is that it won't work on his PC that has a whole 64GB of RAM. it's nice to see that he's still too stupid to use AWS or whatever, and would rather spend years writing horrible code.

couldnt someone else come along and run reposurgeon on aws and ruin what appears to be months of effort?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

couldnt someone else come along and run reposurgeon on aws and ruin what appears to be months of effort?

Goon project

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

does esr still consider himself a natural pickup artist?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
he's happily married afaict

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just assumed he was in an open relationship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU