Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now that volume 20 is wrapped up, who wants to try making official predictions about the final volume count of the series?

I'm gonna play it safe and go with 25, since I get the feeling this one conflict is gonna go on for another entire volume, and we *still* need to have the hinted arc of going to destroy Oujin's horcrux, which'll surely take another volume and a half... And then like a couple volumes buffer cuz who the hell knows what poo poo will pop in to complicate matters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
calling it now: zanka is gonna shout "deido, why were you sneering back when you took me into the painting?" and deido's gonna be like "the gently caress? this is my first time seeing you since we were children" and the resulting confusion for all involved will kill the mood of the fight and make them realize they're not enemies

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

You know, I'm starting to re-think this whole souboutei thing. Maybe it shouldn't be destroyed after all? I mean it's a pretty neat mansion, lots of cool art, I bet it could be repurposed as an exhibit or a tourist attraction. All you'd really need is some museum glass to keep the paintings safe and a janitor to mop up once in a while. What do you all think?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Caught up after being ten chapters behind and all I can say is, this evil house has got to go.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
What if souboutei doesn't get destroyed

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Down With People posted:

What if souboutei doesn't get destroyed

:frogout:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

How dare you, Souboutei, make us confront our deepest insecurities and grow as people :argh:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

How dare you, Souboutei, make us confront our deepest insecurities and grow as people :argh:

thanks for bumping thread during this week break :v:

everyone should take this opportunity to catch up (theres exactly 200 chapters!)

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(edit: ignore this post)

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 9, 2020

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
up to chapter 202 is out, by the way!

also, here's a translation easter-egg:

at least i'm... fairly sure this terminology was intentional? the way the invaders refer to their "brethren" (同胞) uses this kanji 胞 which, outside of the word 同胞 is only associated with cells. which would be the smallest unit of "invader". they're just a being of cells. so while the word is probably meant to invoke a weird alien way of describing the other parts of their body, i can't help but think fujita was intentionally trying to evoke associations with scientific biological terms too. the literal meaning of the kanji in the word is essentially "same cell".

plus, on the other side of things, they've been referring to individual humans as "individuals" (個体) in contrast to their strictly non-individual nature. like, the main difference between their existence and humans would be, humans exist as individuals. so it makes sense that they'd latch onto this word as a way of describing them. however, that word is also conspicuously similar to the word 固体, meaning "solid".

this is just one of those genius subtle things i couldnt possibly get across in english if i tried. besides, i think the "individual" contrast is good enough. plus the contrast between "him" (singular) meaning the good alien, and "them" (plural) meaning the bad one. well, actually, now that i think about it, i'm pretty sure i did translate 個体 as "solid lifeform" at least once before, lol. but yeah

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

No, Deido! Don't open the flood doors of crowd founding!
It may seem promising, but fulfilling the rewards will choke you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The characters taking a break from all the apocalyptic insanity to have a civil chat about the artistic method and its underlying philosophy is always fun.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
>takoha is choked several times
>"civil" chat

also, the reveal at the end of the chapter had me cracking up. who the hell would have expected the drat hats to become relevant? plus, i was 1000% expecting this plotline to involve oujin's house that was offhandedly mentioned to have invaders in it and then never brought up again so this just makes me more confused about how *that's* gonna come into play, if not for this.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Takoha is physically abused during conversations by half the people he knows here.

It may be because I binged the series in a couple days, but I kinda figured the hats would be relevant with how many times they were noted.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i do not remember the hats

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

i do not remember the hats

They were just one of the weird things they noticed when first entering Souboutei.
This chapter is kind of a reminder of the Thomassons (I should rewatch Flip Flappers) everywhere.

I honestly didn't remember them either.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chapter 206!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

208!

Hey I just realized
Did Shino turn into rock lee?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m glad this manga finally showed us why we should respect our elders.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

208!

Hey I just realized
Did Shino turn into rock lee?

oh gently caress lol she kinda did

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Ive caught up to this and drat is Deido a great villain

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Ive caught up to this and drat is Deido a great villain

""villain""

im really really hype for shino Number One to really showcase "her" final form in battle.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im out of my hiatus, sorry about the delay! chapters 209 and 210 are out on mangadex now. and soon enough there will be 4 more (214 comes out in japan tomorrow)

re 209 and 210: man, rokurou's character development always gives me chills. i cant get enough of the badass rokurou moments

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 19, 2020

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He let the good boy inside him out
the goodest boy

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
mr. steak, i don't like when the credit pages are mean to you

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

mr. steak, i don't like when the credit pages are mean to you

They dunk on Mr. Steak but can't use the extra time to split the pages.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drat oujin is a real douche

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The sass is back

And yeah Oujin is a mega douche
whod thought the biggest rear end in a top hat in the series would be this dude

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
I've been meaning to read this manga for a couple months, and when I finally got to it I binged the whole thing in three days. I showed it to a friend, and after giving it a go he stayed up late reading the first hundred chapters.

It's good manga.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Do they think Souboutei should be destroyed?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Do they think Souboutei should be destroyed?

No, it must be destroyed

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I feel we're getting a serious heart-to-heart soon.

Up to chapter 214, btw.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HAHA Get hosed Oujin you piece of garbage

One step closer to destroying Souboutei. if Takoha doesnt gently caress everything up

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Kiritas may be moving away from their creepy inappropriate laughter habit, but I think we can all agree they earned one last one there.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
New chapter is uploaded.

Souboutei status: TBD (to be destroyed)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oujin
You still a poo poo, just your dad is also one too.

Rest in piss.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Turns out it was bad dads all the way down.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just found this thread - been current on this for a little while now (caught up when Takoha went back in time) and just wanted to say I fuckin' love this manga.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
New chapter:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1206037/1

20 minutes remain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im so sorry for the long hiatus (it was entirely on me). however, now i have a backlog of scripts (3 more complete as of this writing), and the team is really good at churning these out when i actually bother to translate it. so stay tuned, lol