Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Oh, ifAsh DOES kill the elite ooze I want to move him to G8 and attack the normal ooze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That won’t happen unless you draw your Crit due to Shield.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

That won’t happen unless you draw your Crit due to Shield.

Or +2 but good point. Either way I'm highly likely to kill it and move Ash to G8.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So are you having Ash attack the Elite Ooze once or twice?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

So are you having Ash attack the Elite Ooze once or twice?

Once during his turn, again if it doesn't die. So probably twice.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cool, I'm hitting the normal.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Clockwork Cove 2B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- None!

7. Lina Megumin Inverse the Orchid Spellweaver (Some Numbers) posted:

- Lina Megumin Inverse uses Reviving Ether (bot)! Jumps4 to F7.
- Lina Megumin Inverse uses Mana Bolt (top)! Consumes LIGHT. Attacks Ooze 3 for 2 (3base, +0mod ,SHIELD1) damage! Gains 1XP.
Ooze 3 is at 5 HP.

14. Pikachu the Vermling Beast Tyrant (Elephant Ambush) posted:

- Ash the Bear focuses Ooze 2(E)! Moves1 to F5. Attacks Ooze 2(E) for 2 (2base, +1mod, SHIELD1) damage!
Ooze 2(E) is at 1 HP.
- Pikachu uses Maul (top)! COMMANDS Ash to Attack Ooze 2(E) for 4 (4base, +1mod, SHIELD1) damage!
Ooze 2(E) is killed!
- Pikachu uses Howling Bolts (bot)! COMMANDS Ash to Move 4 to G8. Gains 1XP.

16. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SalTheBard) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Scurry (bot)! Moves4 to Pressure Plate (A). Attacks Ooze 3 for 3 (1base, +1mod +2bonus, SHIELD1) damage!
Ooze 3 is at 2 HP.
- Master Splinter uses Brain Leech (top as a basic ATK2)! Attacks Ooze 2 for 3 (2base, -1mod +2bonus, SHIELD1) damage!
Ooze 3 is killed!
Pressure Plate (A) is activated, Door (1) opens!

- Ancient Artillery 5(E) revealed!
- Living Spirit 4(E), 3 revealed!
- Pressure Plate (B) revealed!

This is going to hurt...

When opening door 1... posted:

After traversing the entryway, you open a heavy metal door, unleashing a cacophony of whirling gears and moving machinery. The entirety of the ancient cavern is part of some huge, intricate mechanical system that is still alive and operating deep beneath the earth. Unfortunately, its guardians are still alive as well, and it will take more than brute force to navigate through all this chaos.
Scenario Special Rules:

Should be more readable in the original format than with bbcode, hopefully! Also, :v:

37. Ancient Artillery posted:

- Ancient Artillery 5(E) focuses Lina Megumin Inverse! No adjacent enemies to PUSH1! Attacks Lina Megumin Inverse for 1 (2base, -1mod) damage. Attacks Ash for 5 (2base, +2'mod, POISON) damage. Attacks Master Splinter for 1 (2base, -1mod) damage.
Lina Megumin Inverse is at 7 HP.
Ash the Bear is at 9 HP and is POISONED!
Master Splinter is at 8 HP.

Ouch. That was a rather lucky mod distribution. Maybe.

55. Living Spirits posted:

- Living Spirit 4(E) focuses Lina Megumin Inverse! Flies3 to A1. CURSES all enemies in Range!
- Living Spirit 3 focuses Master Splinter! Flies2 to door hex. CURSES all enemies in Range!
2x CURSE NULL cards are added to each character's deck!
ICE is now strong.

Focus rules are always the most complex when the AI is involved.
In this case, since the ability card has the keywords "Target" and "Range", we have to consider it as a Ranged Attack (when there is no attack, the AI chooses its focus based on an hypotetical melee attack instead). So the first 2 steps for a Ranged Attack are to remove Disadvantage, if present; and then move to maximize the number ot Targets. So even if both Spirits could draw LOS to their Focus (Lina) by moving less, they'll move more to try and Target as many additional targets as possible.
It's good that Pikachu is back away, or his deck may have been CURSED three or four times! That said, there are only 10 monster and 10 players CURSE cards, so no more than 10 Curses can be active at the same time for each side.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- ICE is now waning.
Scenario Special Rules:

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sooo, could a player jump from one pressure plate to the other linked pressure plate with a jump and/or fly movement? I think the door shuts down the instant the pressure plate is not occupied and jump doesn't change that.

Also: this place is going to be a pain. Suggestion: Pikachu should find a new role as a paperweight when the bear doesn't need a bot command.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Wait, Splinter used two tops there. The second attack should be the bottom of brain leech (atk 1+2 / strengthen). Doesn't change the outcome, but she should get a strenghten token for next round.

Also, yikes. 2 curses each and Ash pointedly not dodging that huge cannonball like he's in the Berestain Matrix ? Times, they are a-becoming interesting very quickly.

ETA : wait, shield, it *does* change the outcome. That's 1 +2 -1 -1 for 1hp left on the ooze.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 15, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey can we talk more about how bad the token font is?

It's real bad is all I'm saying. Lowercase a, d, and the upside down e are all virtually identical.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Omobono posted:

Sooo, could a player jump from one pressure plate to the other linked pressure plate with a jump and/or fly movement? I think the door shuts down the instant the pressure plate is not occupied and jump doesn't change that.

Also: this place is going to be a pain. Suggestion: Pikachu should find a new role as a paperweight when the bear doesn't need a bot command.

The moment a character leaves the hex with the pressure plate, the door shuts.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dwarf74 posted:

Hey can we talk more about how bad the token font is?

It's real bad is all I'm saying. Lowercase a, d, and the upside down e are all virtually identical.

Why d'you think even the Nazis couldn't get behind Fraktur ? :p

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 15, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Omobono posted:

Also: this place is going to be a pain.
There's a reason I didn't want to do this scenario earlier.

quote:

Suggestion: Pikachu should find a new role as a paperweight when the bear doesn't need a bot command.
Yeah, I agree. Even when Ash needs to do a thing, Pikachu can skip a top to do more damage and then move with the bottom.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Question: can I see the Elite Spirit?

I may have a cunning plan.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Some Numbers posted:

Question: can I see the Elite Spirit?

I may have a cunning plan.
If the spirit cursed you, you can see the spirit.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Kobal2 posted:

Wait, Splinter used two tops there. The second attack should be the bottom of brain leech (atk 1+2 / strengthen). Doesn't change the outcome, but she should get a strenghten token for next round.

Also, yikes. 2 curses each and Ash pointedly not dodging that huge cannonball like he's in the Berestain Matrix ? Times, they are a-becoming interesting very quickly.

ETA : wait, shield, it *does* change the outcome. That's 1 +2 -1 -1 for 1hp left on the ooze.

I actually came to mention this same thing :-(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wait, isn't Ash out of LoS for the artillery?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Wait, isn't Ash out of LoS for the artillery?

It just needs LoS to one hex, because it's a giant AoE.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Some Numbers posted:

It just needs LoS to one hex, because it's a giant AoE.

You only need range to one hex. You need line of sight to all hexes.

And yeah, flavor-wise this makes little sense, but...

e: https://github.com/m-ender/gloomhaven-rules#page21

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 15, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dwarf74 posted:

You only need range to one hex. You need line of sight to all hexes.

And yeah, flavor-wise this makes little sense, but...

e: https://github.com/m-ender/gloomhaven-rules#page21

One point of their hex links to one point of Ash's hex through the door. It's legit, I'm afraid.
You have to really *work* to be out of LOS in Gloomhaven.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kobal2 posted:

One point of their hex links to one point of Ash's hex through the door. It's legit, I'm afraid.
You have to really *work* to be out of LOS in Gloomhaven.

Pretty sure it touches the wall through the door.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I agree that Pikachu should move up onto the pressure plate and I will do that ASAP.

Could someone please remove the poison from Ash so I can heal him or vice versa?

Wait, poo poo I only have a self heal right now. That Italian Guy is it possible for me to retcon a minor stamina potion usage? If not that's fine I'll just do it next turn and heal the following turn.

I mostly just need that poison cleared.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 15, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm going to step off the plate to kill the spirit :-D

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
My plan right now is to kill the ooze, step off the plate, and then heal

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
TIG, there's a couple errors in the update. Two of them have already been pointed out; firstly, that the wrong half of Brain Leech was used. You've tended to let errors in the players' favor stay, though Splinter should at least be strengthened.

Second, the bear is not in line of sight of the artillery, and thus should not have been damaged.

The third error is the Living Spirit movement. Because they don't have an attack this round, they act as though they have a melee attack and move accordingly. This means that both spirits would focus the Spellweaver and move to G6 and G7 (the order doesn't matter, though technically it's players' choice). Isaac confirmed this here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1744055/living-spirits-and-curse-all

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Plenty to rectify this Round:
- Splinter's attack: not sure how I managed to gently caress this up so bad; for simplicity and in accordance with the "keeping things as they are if they favour the players", I'd say we can have the Ooze stay dead (since I would have to play out its turn as well otherwise), but no STRENGTHEN?
- Artillery Strike: Ash is out of LOS and doesn't suffer the damage. This means there would be some fuckery with the Monsters' attack deck, but again, error on my side that disadvantages the players, so things stay as they are regarding that deck.
- Living Spirits movement: turns out that having the keyword "Target" does not an Attack make...it has to have the keyword Attack :v: I'll fix their position to G6 and G7, let me know if you have any preference!

And Elephant Ambush, you can use the Stamina Potion!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 15, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How does opening/closing a pressure plate once things are revealed work?

I know when you open a door, everything inside gets to move even if its natural initiative happened before the opening.

But let’s say it goes like this:

Splinter (on plate): init6. Steps off plate. Door closes.
Cannon (in room whose door got shut): init7. Has no valid targets after splinter slams the door.
Pikachu: init8. Steps on plate. Door reopens and people can see the cannon.

Does the cannon get a shot, or is that only on the initial reveal?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, that vastly changes what I wanted to do, so please disregard the current orders.

Splinter, what speed are you planning to jump off the plate?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Edit for game integrity

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 15, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

FairGame posted:

How does opening/closing a pressure plate once things are revealed work?
Monsters only get to retroactively act after their initiative turn on the Round they are revealed. Once the door has been opened and the monsters have been revealed, they stay that way and draw action cards at the start of the Round normally. Being unable to open doors, they'll just do nothing that requires them to draw focus; They otherwise act "normally" (so they would use abilities that do not require Focus). Also yeah, in theory you could force them to "waste" their turn with someone stepping off the Pressure Plate very early in the Round, and having someone open the door after the monsters have already acted, although it's probably not super effective, especially in a Scenario like this one where time is rather limited.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 15, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^ SalTheBard you are forbidden to reference numbers (or Card names) in any way when discussing your initiative :)

Sorry that is my live groups cheeky way of discussing initiative without giving actual numbers! I apologize won't happen again!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Figures don't block line of sight. Knock the elite out.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I will be going at SNIP

With a ranged attack with a range of 4, do I have to attack the non elite spirit or can I attack the elite behind it?
SalTheBard please do not make any reference to numbers (or Card names) in any way when discussing your initiative :) Also, the Spirits are going to be in G6 and G7 when their position gets fixed. In any way, monsters do not block LOS (in fact, only walls block LOS), so as long as you have Range, you can attack whatever you want to.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Sorry that is my live groups cheeky way of discussing initiative without giving actual numbers! I apologize won't happen again!

Ahaha no worries :) I'd like to point out that this image is, in theory, a valid way to talk about your initiative RAW (please do not do so :v:):

EDIT: the only Gloomhaven SA LP sanctioned term to refer to fast Mindthief cards initiative is RATSPEED.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 15, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dwarf74 posted:

Pretty sure it touches the wall through the door.

Yes but desitively no ? It goes from that one point of the gun's hex, through two points of the door hex, into the bear's pointy end ? I mean hexwise it's a straight line so the wall cannot intervene since the door hex isn't by definition a wall hex.

ETA : btw Sal, good idea about using the door to crush the spirit IMO ! Do it just for the sexy of it. It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that (door) swing.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 15, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
RAW the cannon can see Ash but only at the absolutely extreme edge of LOS so I'm okay with him taking the hit. In my home group we hate that kind of thing we house ruled it in a way I won't bother describing.

Anyway, if Ash took the hit I will retcon the stamina potion. Otherwise I'll just let it rock because I don't need the healing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kobal2 posted:

Yes but desitively no ? It goes from that one point of the gun's hex, through two points of the door hex, into the bear's pointy end ? I mean hexwise it's a straight line so the wall cannot intervene since the door hex isn't by definition a wall hex.
The only lines contact at least one wall hex, is the thing. Here's the setup showing LoS from https://gloom.aluminumangel.org/

e: It is maybe doing the dumb thing tho where the wall behind the artillery is causing the problem, so yeah, if the table wants to houserule that, it's fair and probably a good idea. If so, I'll claim the "technically right is the best kind of right" prize and stop being a gloomhaven pedant on this. :)

e2: It is not and it is definitely out of even generous LoS but I am not an active player here so will shut up anyways.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 15, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

The only lines contact at least one wall hex, is the thing. Here's the setup showing LoS from https://gloom.aluminumangel.org/

e: It is maybe doing the dumb thing tho where the wall behind the artillery is causing the problem, so yeah, if the table wants to houserule that, it's fair and probably a good idea. If so, I'll claim the "technically right is the best kind of right" prize and stop being a gloomhaven pedant on this. :)

e2: It is not and it is definitely out of even generous LoS but I am not an active player here so will shut up anyways.

I interpreter LOS so that if the line touches the wall (even if it doesn't pass through it, it just touches the wall corner) to reach the hex, that hex is out of LOS. LOS rules are already super generous enough and this interpretation is still RAW.

My mistake was forgetting that templates still need LOS to the individual hex to hit it :v: it's one of those rare fringe cases were the fluff and the rules don't match in GH.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 15, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
If we have the choice could we have the elite in the door and the regular at G7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

SalTheBard posted:

If we have the choice could we have the elite in the door and the regular at G7?

Neither is on the door hex, is the thing