Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK then I vote that this turn we all try to attack first in order to kill the archers, then bust through the door. I'm fastest so I can open the door and go invisible so I don't die and to set up a slow initiative big hit on the next turn.

I'm going move as far as I can into the next room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

OK, then I'm going to go with relatively low but not blazing fast initiative, hit an archer relatively hard, then set up to tank in the next room. I'll be able to move a huge amount and hit an enemy hard next turn, depending on what's needed.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 8, 2019

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I think the only thing the players should be able to surmise at this point is that the next room might contain archers. If the archers in their current room are standing still and shooting, or not shooting at all, opening the door last will be safe. If the archers in the current room are moving forward a bunch and then firing a long range shot, opening the door last action may be bad, because it will allow any possible archers in room 2 to reach them. Only the player opening the door will be able to hide from them. In this case, given the lack of overall available information about possible threats you've never seen, a large factor in determining the safety of last action door opening would be to see the enemy draw their card for the turn first. Then re-think it.

EDIT: I edited this post many times, flip flopping on what was, and wasn't a spoiler, until I ran downstairs and got my scenario book out, it is a spoiler and a huge one.

EDIT #5: It's not a spoiler, I thought it was, I thought it wasn't, I thought it was, repeatedly.

namad fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 8, 2019

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

I'll pick some flexible cards and go rather late then.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

namad posted:

EDIT: Whoopsie I forgot, bosses don't use attack decks, their abilities are spoiled on their stat sheet, so everyone, players included, should know what the bosses two super powers are. Already, right? Which means I can say, don't open the door, the boss is a powerful summoner, and opening the door last action could result in a mission loss.

Bosses do have an AI deck, but it's largely comprised of "Special 1" and "Special 2" cards. They do have a couple normal attacks.

namad
Nov 7, 2013

Zurai posted:

Bosses do have an AI deck, but it's largely comprised of "Special 1" and "Special 2" cards. They do have a couple normal attacks.

The key here is that, monster attack decks are spoilers for new monsters, and I wasn't sure if bosses special moves were spoilers or not, but, given that the scenario books tells you about the boss' special abilities in paragraphs you're told only to read after opening the next door, I realized it is a spoiler, and so I removed all mention of it from my post. I hope you didn't read my post while it contained the offending information, or that you're a veteran who already knew it. If you read my post during the 2 minutes it contained spoilers I am sorry.

TL;DR
I'm trying to avoid ruining surprises in this game for any new players who haven't seen them yet.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
It's fine. I think we've all done this scenario before and we know what to do.

I'm not going to just forget what I know about this scenario.

Even knowing what's in the next room doesn't guarantee victory. We could still lose to bad RNG.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I was assuming at least one person reading the thread, if not more, doesn't know. Although yeah, anyone who has played gloomhaven has likely seen mission #2.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, boss scenarios are usually dicey and depend heavily on which specials they decide to spam. I'll talk more about it once his specials are revealed, I actually think this is a cleverly designed boss.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

OK, then I'm going to go with relatively low but not blazing fast initiative, hit an archer relatively hard, then set up to tank in the next room. I'll be able to move a huge amount and hit an enemy hard next turn, depending on what's needed.

Alright so based on this I am not going too far into the next room. I will still open the door and probably go invisible but I will stay near the door. That will give us all more options for the next turn. I brought a card whose bottom lets me give an ally a free move. If you want a slingshot next turn that would be hilarious but otherwise I can charge in with you and gently caress poo poo up.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I brought a card whose bottom lets me give an ally a free move. If you want a slingshot next turn that would be hilarious but otherwise I can charge in with you and gently caress poo poo up.

That is hilarious with Balanced Measure, but given that we all have four Nulls in our decks at the moment, I'd rather not stack all our eggs in one basket like that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

That is hilarious with Balanced Measure, but given that we all have four Nulls in our decks at the moment, I'd rather not stack all our eggs in one basket like that.

3 nulls but yeah it's risky. At the same time we can't wait until we all burn all our curses before going in hard.

My orders are in. This is going to be interesting.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

3 nulls but yeah it's risky. At the same time we can't wait until we all burn all our curses before going in hard.

My orders are in. This is going to be interesting.

Four, the scenario adds three curses to each of us and we all have one null base. Crypts suck rear end. I agree that we can't wait to burn all our curses, I just don't want to put all our eggs into one gigantic Balanced Measure cannon even if I could theoretically do like 3/4 of the boss's HP in one attack with it. I'd rather spread the risk around some.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

namad posted:

TL;DR
I'm trying to avoid ruining surprises in this game for any new players who haven't seen them yet.

We have already seen the (shorter version) of the boss's powers when we picked the Scenario here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877469&pagenumber=11&perpage=40#post491260016. It's printed on the Boss's Stat Card in the normal game as well and we've decided that players will be able to see the stat cards when they pick a Scenario (but only see the ability cards for creatures they have faced before), so no risk of spoiling that.

I will post the more descriptive/longer version of the special rule only when instructed to do so from the Scenario book, though.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 8, 2019

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Silly me, of course, the stat sheet card! Sorry for all the whining then. Anyways, yeah, with summoners you either wanna make sure you can all charge into the room on the same turn, or retreat backwards until they summon ten of the enemy. I'm really hyped, I love this mission design, it's tough, but fair, and requires a set of very unique strategic moves.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Quick note for our active players: both Elephant Ambush and archduke.iago have submitted an order containing a card that was not in their initial card selection; I presume this is due to a simple mistake (since it was on turn 1 and 2, respectively), so please let me know what you are slotting out from the current selection to make room for Parasitic Influence and Rock Tunnel! I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.

Barrow Lair, Update 2A

ROUND REVEAL

Looks like my talk during the last update has somehow summoned the Trap laying card for the Archers! Well, for one of them, the other has been STUNNED at the end of the last round and will be unable to act.

PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green in turns following the one they are played in. Available items are also shown there.

14. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush) posted:

code:
"SCURRY (20) [Lvl1]
TOP: MOVE3 - ATK1
BOT: LOOT2 - XP1"

"INTO THE NIGHT (14) [Lvl1]
TOP: LOOT1 - Generate DARK
BOT: INVISIBLE self"

32. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai) posted:

code:
"SKEWER (35) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK 3, PBAOE (check image), Consume AIR: +1ATK, PIERCE1 - XP1
BOT: MOVE6 - XP1 - LOSS"

"WARDING STRENGHT (32) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - PUSH2
BOT: Permanent bonus On the next six sources of damage from attacks targeting you, gain Shield1 - Gain XP on 1st, 3rd and 5th trigger - LOSS"

77. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago) posted:

code:
"BACKUP AMMUNITION (77) [Lvl1]
TOP: Persistent Bonus On your next four ranged Attack actions, gain ADD TARGET - Gain XP1 each trigger - LOSS
BOT: MOVE3"

"ROCK TUNNEL (41) [Lvl1]
TOP: Destroy one adjacent obstacle - XP1
BOT: MOVE5, Jump - IMMOBILIZE (Target all enemies moved through) - XP1 - LOSS"

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :)
Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email! DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST :getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 8, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I'm gonna hit one or the other of the archers depending on what's alive and pop Warding Strength. The traps are going to be annoying but we may be able to make use of them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm Scurrying next to Archer 2 and stabbing for a base of 3. Regardless of the results I'm opening the door and standing just on the other side.

If the archers draw a card that would focus and attack me I'm using the cloak to go invisible. Otherwise I will just chill there.

The Italian Guy please go back through your PMs. I definitely sent you the 10 cards I"'m using. I suppose there could have been a forums or internet glitch though. I will send it again tonight after I get home.

Edit: copy/pasted a new PM from my previous one and gave it a better subject line.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 8, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Italian Guy please go back through your PMs. I definitely sent you the 10 cards I"'m using. I suppose there could have been a forums or internet glitch though. I will send it again tonight after I get home.

You did, this is the list I have from your PM though:

quote:

The Mind's Weakness
Submissive Affliction
Perverse Edge
Empathetic Assault
Into the Night
Scurry
Fearsome Blade
Frigid Apparition
Possession
Feedback Loop

But in the same post you say you want to use Parasitic Influence to move the Archer on a trap :/ So I assume there is a mistake in the list, but I don't know what you want to take out from it to slot Parasitic Influence in.
EDIT: you new PM is still missing Parasitic Influence from the list :confuoot:

It's a similar issue with archduke.iago since I don't know what they want to remove to slot in Rock Tunnel, that was used this round but was not present in the Cragheart hand.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 8, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The archers drew their trap laying card FWIW. They're going immediately after you. I'll target the archer on the lower health after your attack to increase the odds of finishing one of the two off, unless Rocky is planning to just use the default attack action to finish off Archer 2, in which case I'll hit Archer 1.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Also, I'd forgotten that the boss's Specials were revealed already, so a bit more pontification from me on them:

I am of the opinion that the Bandit Commander is a great boss design for the part of the game it's in. Scenario 1 shows the party that they have to manage their resources or they'll get their teeth kicked in; Scenario 2 demonstrates the value of focused fire and the "there can only be as many of a specific enemy as there are standees for that enemy" rule. Unless the Bandit Commander is extremely nice to us, he's going to be opening at least a couple of the rooms branched off of the central room, and those rooms unsurprisingly contain enemies -- however, the four rooms in total contain more enemies than there are standees, so as long as we concentrate our attacks on the boss and on the enemies which don't come spilling out of those rooms, there's a limit to what we have to face. We obviously would prefer the boss not open all the rooms anyway because he'll teleport away from us as we're trying to gank him, plus we still have to kill all the enemies he reveals to win the scenario, but the design is very clever because if you get distracted trying to clear out the rooms as they open you will almost certainly lose this scenario, while if you maintain target discipline and kill the boss it's still manageable.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

That Italian Guy posted:

You did, this is the list I have from your PM though:

But in the same post you say you want to use Parasitic Influence to move the Archer on a trap :/ So I assume there is a mistake in the list, but I don't know what you want to take out from it to slot Parasitic Influence in.
EDIT: you new PM is still missing Parasitic Influence from the list :confuoot:

It's a similar issue with archduke.iago since I don't know what they want to remove to slot in Rock Tunnel, that was used this round but was not present in the Cragheart hand.

Crap, I must have screwed up somewhere. I'll clarify tonight.

Zurai posted:

Also, I'd forgotten that the boss's Specials were revealed already, so a bit more pontification from me on them:

I am of the opinion that the Bandit Commander is a great boss design for the part of the game it's in. Scenario 1 shows the party that they have to manage their resources or they'll get their teeth kicked in; Scenario 2 demonstrates the value of focused fire and the "there can only be as many of a specific enemy as there are standees for that enemy" rule. Unless the Bandit Commander is extremely nice to us, he's going to be opening at least a couple of the rooms branched off of the central room, and those rooms unsurprisingly contain enemies -- however, the four rooms in total contain more enemies than there are standees, so as long as we concentrate our attacks on the boss and on the enemies which don't come spilling out of those rooms, there's a limit to what we have to face. We obviously would prefer the boss not open all the rooms anyway because he'll teleport away from us as we're trying to gank him, plus we still have to kill all the enemies he reveals to win the scenario, but the design is very clever because if you get distracted trying to clear out the rooms as they open you will almost certainly lose this scenario, while if you maintain target discipline and kill the boss it's still manageable.

The only distraction we may have to deal with is REDACTED

Sorry!

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 8, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I was trying to avoid spoilers for the audience :P We know what's behind all the doors and what all these enemies do but the audience may not. They do know there are zombles though, and, well, the standees make it pretty obvious that these are not the fast variety (they're rather akin to Warcraft 3/WoW Abominations in appearance if not size).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

The only distraction we may have to deal with is REDACTED.

Please don't spoil content that has not been revealed yet :) Granted it's not a big deal, but I would like to avoid discussing things that have not been revealed yet (like exact monster/room composition) for whoever is not already familiar with the Scenario. Everything that has been revealed already (like the Bandit Commander's abilities on the stat card or the type of monsters we'll face in the dungeon) are fair game, ofc.

Zurai posted:

the standees make it pretty obvious that these are not the fast variety (they're rather akin to Warcraft 3/WoW Abominations in appearance if not size).

We also know that their base MOVE stat is 1 so, yeah, quite slow :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 8, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I edited my post. I'm getting ahead of myself. :(

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I edited my post. I'm getting ahead of myself. :(

Ahah no worries, we all want more Gloomhaven :woop:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Since they move so slow, throwing obstacles in their way is always a fun strategy with the Cragheart. Plants vs Zombies: Gloomhaven Edition.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

Since they move so slow, throwing obstacles in their way is always a fun strategy with the Cragheart. Plants vs Zombies: Gloomhaven Edition.

Yeah, playing tower defense with the Cragheart can be pretty fun.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

That was every scenario once I hit 4th level.

It trivialized several dungeons which would have otherwise been pretty brutal. Particularly a path of adventures involving a certain retirement goal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

IMHO it's the best part of playing the Cragheart. No other class can do that stuff and it's tons of fun.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

I'll activate Backup Ammo and walk into the door tile. Planning to pickoff any remaining archers while hitting the boss next turn.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What if the boss isn't in the next room?

This is Gloomhaven: Symphony of the Night, and we're in the upside down campaign.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

This is Gloomhaven: Symphony of the Night, and we're in the upside down campaign.

If we were in Upside Down Gloomhaven, we would have started with Scenario 2 since the text says it's downstairs from Scenario 1 ;)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

My orders are in. Should be finishing off an archer unless I get unlucky.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Note that the Living Corpses may be slow but they hit as hard (or harder, for the Elite) as the boss does. So probably don't let them catch up to you.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Narsham posted:

Because you get to see what the enemies in the room will do before finishing your move, you can decide what's best to do at that point.

oh my god, we've been playing a year and we have been drawing the card after finishing the door-opening turn so you gotta decide where to stand before you see what the monsters do

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Barrow Lair, Update 2B
First thing first, I have received amended card lists from archduke.iago and Elephant Ambush!
Cragheart: +Rock Tunnel +Forceful Storm, -Nature's Lift, -Unstable Upheaval
Mindthief: +Parasitic Influence, -Submissive Affliction
The correct hand is now showing up in the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet.

Barrow Lair, Round 2 posted:

14. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Elephant Ambush)
Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves 3 to E4. Attacks Bandit Archer 2 for 4 (1base, +1mod +2bonus) damage!
Bandit Archer 2 is killed!
Master Splinter uses Into the Night (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves 1 to door hex.

Bandit Archer 4(E), 6 revealed!
Bandit Commander revealed!

When opening Door 1... posted:

You open the door to a large crypt littered with coffins. At the back stands your quarry. He fits the description, but there is something previously unnoticed in his eyes—a dark otherworldly force. “Who are you to think you can interrupt the work of the Gloom?” A dark energy engulfs his hands as he speaks. “I will show you what you are dealing with!”

SPECIAL RULES: Doors a, b, c, and d are locked and can only be opened by the Bandit Commander.
BOSS SPECIAL 1: The Bandit Commander immediately jumps into a door hex, regardless of how far away it is, and opens it, revealing the adjacent room. Starting with a, the Bandit Commander jumps to a door in the order of a, b, c,, d and then back to a.
BOSS SPECIAL 2: The Bandit Commander summons one normal Living Bones for two characters or one elite Living Bones for three or four characters.

Barrow Lair, Round 2, continued posted:

Master Splinter Moves 1 to G1(2).
FOCUS THRESHOLD REACHED! Master Splinter would be targeted by both enemy Archers this Round. Activates Cloak of Invisibility!
Master Splinter gains INVISIBLE.
The Archers have Range4 (5 for the Elite) this round, so they would both be able to target Master Splinter. Elephant Ambush, you were under the impression that only the Elite would be able to target you this round...have I made some kind of monster AI mistake? I will refund the Cloak usage if that's the case.

14. Bandit Archer 4(E), 1, 6
Bandit Archer 4(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 1 to I5(2). Creates a Trap in hex H4(2)!
Bandit Archer 1 is STUNNED! Loses STUN token.
Bandit Archer 6 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 1 to C5(2). Creates a Trap in hex D4(2)!

32. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Zurai)
Bullwinkle uses Skewer (top)! Attacks Bandit Archer 1 for 4 (3base, +1mod) damage!
Gains 1XP.
Bandit Archer 1 is killed!
Bullwinkle uses Warding Strenght (bot)! Permanent Bonus active: On the next six sources of damage from attacks targeting you, gain Shield1 - Gain XP on 2nd, 4th and 6th trigger - LOSS card!

77. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (archduke.iago)
Rocky uses Backup Ammunition (top)! Permanent Bonus active: On your next four ranged Attack actions, gain ADD TARGET - Gain XP1 each trigger - LOSS card!
Rocky uses Rock Tunnel (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves 2 to door hex

79. Bandit Commander (BOSS)
Bandit Commander (BOSS) activates SPECIAL 1! Jumps to door A hex.

Living Corpse 1, 2, 4 Revealed!

These zombies are literally falling apart. Gross. The boss has immediately drawn one of his Special 1 ability cards, so we're up to a rocky start!

91. Living Corpse 1, 2, 4
Living Corpse 1 focuses Rocky! Moves 2 to A1(a). Suffers 1 damage!
Living Corpse 1is at 6 HP
Living Corpse 2 focuses Rocky! Moves 2 to B2(a). Suffers 1 damage!
Living Corpse 2is at 6 HP
Living Corpse 4 focuses Rocky! Moves 2 to C1(a). Suffers 1 damage!
Living Corpse 4is at 6 HP

END OF ROUND EFFECTS
EARTH is inert.

The Archers in the first room are dead, but our heroes are now facing a plethora of living and undead enemies.

Active players please provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 9, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Could have gone better, could have gone much worse. I'd rather the zombies hadn't drawn a move 2 card but at least they hurt themselves and they generally get stuck for several turns in the doorways anyway. And as mentioned before, the traps the archers put down might come in handy. Unfortunately, I forgot to drink my stamina potion (I do this all the time in tabletop too) so I'm going to have to use a different movement card than I'd intended but as long as the boss doesn't open the next door before my turn I'll be able to hit him solidly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Solid round.

Italian Guy you are correct that both archers could focus and attack me in that hex. I definitely want to use the Cloak of Invisibility. Thanks for correcting me.

I'm actually happy the corpses damaged themselves. They'll probably stand there and bump into each other while melting for a while.

I intend to go in hard on the elite archer next round at a slow initiative to maximize invisibility. If you guys could charge in on the boss I'll join you in the gang beating after I'm done with the elite archer. Let's focus the boss down then sweep up. He's likely to open at least one more door though. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I intend to go in hard on the elite archer next round at a slow initiative to maximize invisibility. If you guys could charge in on the boss I'll join you in the gang beating after I'm done with the elite archer. Let's focus the boss down then sweep up. He's likely to open at least one more door though. Ugh.

I'll unfortunately be moving kinda slowly but I intend to move to J4 and attack whatever I can. Hopefully that's the boss.