Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Um... I think the icestorm that spawned is a normal not an elite, for 3 players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Superterranean posted:

Um... I think the icestorm that spawned is a normal not an elite, for 3 players
I can't get that Icestorm right! :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Waiting for a clarification from one of the players :)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Savvas Armory, Round 13A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

Letty Van Halen uses Major Stamina Potion! Recovers Marching Beat, Mobilizing Measures and Defensive Ditty.
- Savvas Icestorm 4 should be Normal instead of Elite!

ROUND REVEAL posted:

Savvas :argh:

PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in light yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in red, while lost cards will be marked in purple. Cards in the active slot will be marked in teal (using a colorblind friendly scheme, let me know if you are having issues with it!). Available items are also shown there.

Letty Van Halen (Hand2, Discarded4, Active1, Lost2) is acting at initiative 9 with Defensive Ditty and Throw Voice.

9. Letty Van Halen the Quatryl Soothsinger (TravelLog) posted:

code:
DEFENSIVE DITTY (09) [Lvl1]
TOP: Song - Persistent Bonus: SHIELD1, Affect all allies - Gain XP1 at the beginning of each of your turns. When another Song is played, discard this card.
BOT: Round Bonus: the next time any ally within Range2 suffers damage this Round, they suffer no damage instead - XP1.

THROW VOICE (44) [Lvl1]
TOP: DISARM, Range3, see Template.
BOT: Range3, see Template. Force all enemies in the targeted area to perform a MOVE1 action with you controlling the actions - XP1 - LOSS
Boris (Hand3, Discarded6, Active2, Lost1) is acting at initiative 10 with Press the Attack and Flight of Flame.

10. Boris the Orchid Doomstalker (Superterranean) posted:

code:
PRESS THE ATTACK (10) [Lvl3]
TOP: ATK2, Range 4 - add +3ATK and XP1 if the target is Doomed.
BOT: RETALIATE2, Range 2.

FLIGHT OF FLAME (53) [Lvl1]
TOP: Create one 2 Damage WOUND trap in an adjacent empty hex - WOUND all enemies adjacent to this trap when the trap is sprung.
BOT: MOVE5, Jump.
Kir Kanos (Hand4, Discarded2, Active1, Lost3) is acting at initiative 14 with Shocking Advance and Healing Sands.

14. Kir Kanos the Valrath Red Guard (The Goonmind) posted:

code:
SHOCKING ADVANCE (14) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, IMMOBILIZE - Consume LIGHT: Round Bonus: SHIELD1, XP1
BOT: MOVE3 - Generate LIGHT

HEALING SANDS (32) [Lvl1]
TOP: HEAL4, Self - XP1
BOT: MOVE3 - Round Bonus: All Attacks targeting you gain DISADVANTAGE this Round.

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to input their orders (card selection+initiative pick) for the Hero currently controlled by the Goonmind! Be nice! :) Active players and assorted goons&goonettes, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST :getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

So we're voting on a next scenario then? Maybe a nice easy crypt? I forgot lavaflows had that card and now I regret not voting to bring a fire eating card this round.

My votes for now:
Sand Devil moves onto earth demon 5 then drags it to C4 to clear room for earth demon 4 to move out of the doorway.
Kir heals 4 then moves 3-4 spaces to one of the X2 tiles, as far as we can get towards the exit but still between icestorm 2 and Letty

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is that 2 damage, ignoring shields range LOS and disarm, per lavaflow alive?

Who the F thought that card was a good idea?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Omobono posted:

Is that 2 damage, ignoring shields range LOS and disarm, per lavaflow alive?

Who the F thought that card was a good idea?

My thoughts exactly. Pretty insane that it is true damage that takes effect everywhere on the map.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Who has a better chance of escaping, Boris or Kir? Letty disarms Icestorm 2, bottom of Defensive Ditty prevents Boris/Kir from taking damage from Icestorm 3, Lavaflows kill Letty and maybe Kir, Earth Demons move out of the door, and next round hope for a sprint past them to the exit?

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Who has a better chance of escaping, Boris or Kir? Letty disarms Icestorm 2, bottom of Defensive Ditty prevents Boris/Kir from taking damage from Icestorm 3, Lavaflows kill Letty and maybe Kir, Earth Demons move out of the door, and next round hope for a sprint past them to the exit?

I think we all need to survive, so I am pretty sure the situation is unwinnable at this point.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Ah, I scrolled back to the start of the scenario looking for that and must have missed it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That card is completely and utterly stupid are we sure its not missing something like all adjacent enemies? you know something that actually follows how gloomhaven is supposed to be?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Savvas are...hard.

They are definitely the strongest non-boss enemy in the game; that card can be a nuisance or backbreaking depending on the circumstances. This Scenario is one of the hardest altogeter, but I think we're also seeing a weakness of our current party: lack of disposable Stuns, especially after many Scenarios with both a Mindthief AND a Spellweaver - Savvas in particular have several cards that can't really be disabled with a pseudo stun (like Disarm or Immobilize) so this is especially evident.

Don't forget that players can burn cards to prevent damage, although things look a bit bleak.

If we end up failing the Scenario, we will vote on what to do next (probably a few options, including having to redo the Scenario, "reload" from a certain Round or even saying "we did well enough, let's assume we would win next time" and move on :) ).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I think we're out even if the enemies spend the rest of the match twiddling their thumbs, especially if Letty has to burn her move 6. Kir can short rest and try to go fast enough next round to heal off her poison and wound so she only has to lose 1 card, but that means we have to stay within 2 spaces of her this turn and not move the next.

I knew the savvas would be mini-boss tough but I didn't remember having to fight this many. I think maybe my home campaign took the other story branch for this plot thread.

Should we have stuck around and cleared the middle room before going in for the treasure? Brought different cards?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

bagrada posted:

Yeah I think we're out even if the enemies spend the rest of the match twiddling their thumbs, especially if Letty has to burn her move 6. Kir can short rest and try to go fast enough next round to heal off her poison and wound so she only has to lose 1 card, but that means we have to stay within 2 spaces of her this turn and not move the next.

I knew the savvas would be mini-boss tough but I didn't remember having to fight this many. I think maybe my home campaign took the other story branch for this plot thread.

Should we have stuck around and cleared the middle room before going in for the treasure? Brought different cards?

If I had known about that 2 damage no save, I would have insisted we clear the middle room and sucked it up. But thats hindsight.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Yeah I've played this a few times, and we've always cleared each room before opening the next.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I remember one time trying this with Circles, and they pulled that damage 2 card twice in a row. We did not win that scenario.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

I suspect this scenario is one of the ones that is a lot more bearable with 4 players than with 3 even if you account for more enemies simply by virtue of action economy and the ability to remove specific problem enemies in a timely manner.

We were probably also not helped by virtue of minimal AOE abilities among our group.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I have not received orders for Boris but at this point I guess it would be a good time to see what the thread wants to do :) First of all, this was going to happen sooner or later, and this Scenario was one of the "usual suspects", especially on Hard. We also had a bit of bad luck since the Savvas managed to summon on the 1st Round they were revealed on both rooms. On my original playthrough, we only failed 2 Scenarios: this one and 67 Arcane Library - the one with a billion water tiles in the second room and a souped up Elite Stone Golem as a boss that A) won't leave its room and B)you have to face at a disadvantage since someone has to keep the door open by standing on a tile. We exhausted and said gently caress it :v:

So, these are our options:
  1. Actually, we won: simple as that. If you think playing this Scenario again would not be interesting for the LP or fun, we can just go ahead. In this case, I would say we should skip the XP rewards for a victory though.
  2. Replay the Scenario: we get a new set of players and we start again from scratch. The current players have played the average lenght of a Scenario (in Rounds), so I hope they had fun, even in defeat.
  3. Like 2, but scale the difficulty back to Normal for this one.
  4. Rollback to a previous Round if we don't want to replay the whole Scenario. In this case, we either keep the current players or new ones depending on how far back we want to go.
  5. Like 4, but we also scale the difficulty back to Normal for this one.
  6. Something else!

:siren::siren::siren:
I'll keep the vote open for a couple of days, but please make sure to let me know your opinion itt so that we can move forward with a common understanding of what is going to happen :)
:siren::siren::siren:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We cleared this fairly easy with my group, but there were four of us, and I don't remember ever seeing that card; it's a rough one. I think it was also in the period where we had an absolutely absurd class combination and we rolled every scenario no matter how high we'd crank the difficulty.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
5 is probably the best bet though 1 is also acceptable

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

I think this crew is stabby enough to beat the scenario without lunging for the goal. I say we roll back to the start of the pressure plate room and then take the loss if we can't beat it.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

I like Old Dun Cow's suggestion - and I'm open to either moving on or staying Boris, as the thread pleases.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Superterranean posted:

I like Old Dun Cow's suggestion - and I'm open to either moving on or staying Boris, as the thread pleases.

Ditto for Letty.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Can I ask if we lower the difficulty, what specifically changes for this one? Curious if the lavaflows lose poison or wound on their attacks.

My votes are 1 or 5 if we do reload a savegame.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Superterranean posted:

I say that if we do this, you guys are probably staying as the active players :)

bagrada posted:

Can I ask if we lower the difficulty, what specifically changes for this one?
The biggest change (numerical values aside) is tha the Elite Wind Demons lose DISARM on every attack. Of course multiple numerical values are lower.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

If the thread wants to knock this scenario out but is worried about this group doing it, I think we could also add another option to have some of our ex-Torch Thieves come out of retirement for "one last job".

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think you guys would be fine with just replaying from the start with the knowledge and practice. :)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Either just rollback to the start of the pressure plate room, or do the rollback + have I don't know, Rocky come punching through the wall for some revenge on his rear end in a top hat kin.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Through the magic of time we are reverting back to the start of Round 8B! We are also scaling the difficulty back to Normal, aka Scenario level 3. I can't unfortunately reset the status of the players and monster' modifiers decks, so they are all going to be reset (although they will contain the correct number of CURSE and BLESS cards). So, without further ado, I give you:

Savvas Armory, Round 8A TIME TWIST

Letty Van Halen (Hand6, Discarded1, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 6 with Mobilizing Measures and Throw Voice.

6. Letty Van Halen the Quatryl Soothsinger (TravelLog) posted:

code:
MOBILIZING MEASURES (06) [Lvl5]
TOP: Song - Persistent Bonus: All allies may perform a MOVE1 action before any of their Attack actions. - Gain XP1 at the beginning of each of your turns. When another Song is played, discard this card.
BOT: MOVE6 - XP1.

THROW VOICE (44) [Lvl1]
TOP: DISARM, Range3, see Template.
BOT: Range3, see Template. Force all enemies in the targeted area to perform a MOVE1 action with you controlling the actions - XP1 - LOSS
Kir Kanos (Hand8, Discarded0, Active0, Lost2) is acting at initiative 14 with Shocking Advance and Sand Devil.

code:
SHOCKING ADVANCE (14) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, IMMOBILIZE - Consume LIGHT: Round Bonus: SHIELD1, XP1
BOT: MOVE3 - Generate LIGHT

SAND DEVIL (55) [Lvl5]
TOP: Persistent Bonus: Place the Sand Devil in an adjacent empty hex. It is considered a trap for the purposes of monster focusing and movement. At the start of each of your turns, you may move it up to 2 hexes, and you may force any figure on it to move with it. Any time a figure moves onto the devil or vice versa (not when moving together), the figure suffers 1 damage and gains MUDDLE. - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: MOVE5
Boris (Hand10, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 31 with Solid Blow and Fresh Kill.

31. Boris the Orchid Doomstalker (Superterranean) posted:

code:
SOLID BLOW (31) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, Range 5
BOT: MOVE4

FRESH KILL (65) [LvlX]
TOP: ATK2, Range 4 - Add +2ATK and XP1 if the target is undamaged.
BOT: MOVE3, Jump

Savvas Armory, Round 8B

Song Active! Gains 1XP.
- Letty Van Halen uses Mobilizing Measures (bot)! Moves1 to door hex. Gains 1XP.

- Savvas Lavaflow 1, 2 revealed!
- Savvas Icestorm 3 revealed!
- 4x Pressure Plate (c) revealed!
- Door (1) revealed!

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to input their orders (card selection+initiative pick) for the Hero currently controlled by the Goonmind! Be nice! :) Active players and assorted goons&goonettes, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

Wow. I...have a bad feeling about this one, Letty and Kir; I think we need to deal with these dudes as quick as possible before opening the next door.

:v:

Who's the first target? I feel like burning them down one at a time is the best plan.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Target the lavaflow that Letty doesn't disarm? Can Letty switch to retaliate song next turn, and (e: retaliate song was lost) should Kir pop the sand devil now or save it for more movement later and just stab a guy?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

I like the Sand Devil now, still. keeping muddle on these wieners seems like a good idea.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Still need orders for Kir :)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Still need orders for Kir :)

Move 4, generating light, to E2 or G2 whichever is adjacent to the two disarmed enemies. Drop the sand devil in the other spot.

If you can adjust based on intent, the hope is the two Letty disarms stay put next to Kir or move next to him, then the remaining enemy targets and shoots Kir splashing 2 damage each onto his two buddies and hopefully not our teammates. So after Letty ends her move we'd try to find that spot to take the focus of all enemies and sharing the damage around while warning Boris away from parking next to us. Then we can do a rockin goomba stomp next turn and muddle two of them with our roomba.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 21, 2021

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Savvas Armory, Round 8B

- None!

- Letty Van Halen uses Mobilizing Measures (top)! Moves3 to J2.
- Letty Van Halen uses Throw Voice (bot)! Savvas Icestorm 3, Savvas Lavaflow 1, are DISARMED!

- Kir Kanos uses Shocking Advance (bot)! Moves4 to G2.
- Kir Kanos uses Sand Devil (top)! Persistent Bonus: Place the Sand Devil in an adjacent empty hex. It is considered a trap for the purposes of monster focusing and movement. At the start of each of your turns, you may move it up to 2 hexes, and you may force any figure on it to move with it. Any time a figure moves onto the devil or vice versa (not when moving together), the figure suffers 1 damage and gains MUDDLE. - XP2 - LOSS
LIGHT is now strong.

31. Boris the Orchid Doomstalker (Superterranean) posted:

- Boris uses Solid Blow (bot)! Moves4 to E3.
- Boris uses Fresh Kill (top)! Attacks Savvas Lavaflow 2 for 5 (4base, +1mod) damage!
Savvas Lavaflow 2 is at 9 HP.

35. Savvas Icestorm posted:

- Savvas Icestorm 3 focuses Kir Kanos! Loses DISARMED token.
ICE is now strong.

68. Savvas Lavaflow posted:

- Savvas Lavaflow 1 focuses Kir Kanos! Loses DISARMED token.
- Savvas Lavaflow 2 focuses Kir Kanos! Attacks Kir Kanos for 2 (4base, x2mod turned into +0mod by Iron Helmet, SHIELD1, CHAINMAIL) damage.
Kir Kanos is at 10 HP. and is POISONED! Chainmail is SPENT.

EARTH is now strong.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- The Monsters's deck is shuffled!
- EARTH is now waning.
- ICE is now waning.
- LIGHT is now waning.

EDIT: as per bagrada's reminder, I forgot to apply the splash damage to the Icestorm and the Lavaflow! This will be fixed before the next update, they both have lost 2HP.

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
"Everyone itt is also encouraged to input their orders (card selection+initiative pick) for the Hero currently controlled by the Goonmind!
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves."
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 21, 2021

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Shield of the Desert and Blade Dance at 10? We can see what they are up to and use the light to do a push, pull or stronger goomba stomp.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

Seconding Bagrada's plan for Kir.

Boris is going to (try to) dump a big bucket of gently caress You on the Icestorm.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Savvas Armory, Round 9A

ROUND REVEAL posted:

PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in light yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in red, while lost cards will be marked in purple. Cards in the active slot will be marked in teal (using a colorblind friendly scheme, let me know if you are having issues with it!). Available items are also shown there.

Kir Kanos (Hand6, Discarded1, Active1, Lost2) is acting at initiative 10 with Shield of the Desert and Blade Dance.

10. Kir Kanos the Valrath Red Guard (The Goonmind) posted:

code:
SHIELD OF THE DESERT (10) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - Consume FIRE: add Template - Consume LIGHT: +1ATK, PUSH1, XP1
BOT: Round Bonus: SHIELD3 - Generate FIRE and LIGHT - XP1 - LOSS

BLADE DANCE (29) [LvlX]
TOP: ATK1, Range3, Consume FIRE: +1ATK, PULL2, XP1 - MOVE2 - ATK1, Range3, Consume LIGHT: +1ATK, PULL2, XP1
BOT: MOVE4, Jump - XP1 - All enemies moved through suffer 1 damage, Consume LIGHT: 2 damage instead, XP1
Boris (Hand8, Discarded2, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 10 with Press the Attack and Rain of Arrows.

10. Boris the Orchid Doomstalker (Superterranean) posted:

code:
PRESS THE ATTACK (10) [Lvl3]
TOP: ATK2, Range 4 - add +3ATK and XP1 if the target is Doomed.
BOT: RETALIATE2, Range 2.

RAIN OF ARROWS (33) [Lvl1]
TOP: Persistent Bonus: the next four times a Doomed enemy dies, perform an ATK2, Range5 action. - XP1 on 1st and 3rd activation - LOSS
BOT: Doom: Place your character token on any one enemy - Add +2ATK to all your Attacks targeting this enemy - When this enemy dies or another Doom is played, discard this card.
Letty Van Halen (Hand4, Discarded3, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 14 with Disorienting Dirge and Singing Arrow.

14. Letty Van Halen the Quatryl Soothsinger (TravelLog) posted:

code:
DISORIENTING DIRGE (14) [Lvl4]
TOP: Song - Persistent Bonus: All enemies gain DISADVANTAGE on all their Attacks - Gain XP1 at the beginning of each of your turns. When another Song is played, discard this card.
BOT: CURSE, Target all enemies withing Range3 - BLESS, Affect all allies within Range3.

SINGING ARROW (89) [Lvl1]
TOP: CURSE, Range3, see Template.
BOT: ATK1, Range3 - WOUND

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

Savvas. Not even once.

Boris is going to hit the most-damaged lavaflow as hard as possible, in the hopes that it dies before summoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

sand devil b1 d1 f1 to poke and muddle the two left enemies.

Kir use the light and jump h1 f1 d1 b1 right to left to stomp 2 damage each.

Should we swing before or after moving, and at which? We can help dogpile the one we want dead but Boris has atk7 w/ advantage and only needs to do 6 with our 1+2 sand devil + goomba.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 22, 2021