Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Might not be a bad idea to use a loss card or two in the next couple rounds to try and catch up. In Magic the Gathering terms the team needs to generate some tempo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Reik posted:

Might not be a bad idea to use a loss card or two in the next couple rounds to try and catch up. In Magic the Gathering terms the team needs to generate some tempo.

Tempo vs Value is a surprisingly good comparison when discussing Gloomhaven's combat flow and card management. Get too greedy and try to get the best value and you could get yourself or someone else crippled; go too fast and you may not have enough juice for the late game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Mono-red Aggro 4 lyfe :getin:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Mono-red Aggro 4 lyfe :getin:

Mind Thief Wins

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I should've gone faster this round instead of hedging my bets, but if Bullwinkle's doomed to be ventilated with arrows, at least functioning armour is better than poison.

Will try for a big hit next round.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ripley posted:

I should've gone faster this round instead of hedging my bets, but if Bullwinkle's doomed to be ventilated with arrows, at least functioning armour is better than poison.

Will try for a big hit next round.

Since harm is coming your way Ripley and Narsham would you like to give me a card to lose to prevent potential fatal damage this Round?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's a fair question, but I think it's entirely possible we'll avoid fatal hits this round. The archer has to draw a +modifier to overcome Bullwinkle's health and armor, while Guard 1 will probably die before acting if she's the target of the Spare Dagger.

I'd say Master Splinter actually has the most to lose since by my reckoning she'll be taking an attack 2 and an attack 3 this round. She'll lose Into the Night on the shaman's attack if the mods are against us (or on the guard's attack if both she and the archer draw the two crits currently in the deck).

E: Plus, Bullwinkle still needs to add an Inox Guard to his grisly trophy collection!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 4, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How will Splinter take a guard attack if she jumps over the Archer? She should only be taking the single Shaman attack 2.

Oh, I guess if you kill the Archer it frees up a spot for a guard.

Reik fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 4, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, the shaman attack is also 2? Yeah, then she'll probably be fine. Lose a card on the fatal hit or an attack 4, then.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, the shaman attack is also 2? Yeah, then she'll probably be fine. Lose a card on the fatal hit or an attack 4, then.

Holy crap I just realized you went on 27 instead of 79!

Didn't you want to maximize invisibility time?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That was the original plan, yeah. This initiative was solely with the hope that I could act before the archer and kill him before he attacked Bullwinkle, or take out a guard if the archer was no danger this round.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That was the original plan, yeah. This initiative was solely with the hope that I could act before the archer and kill him before he attacked Bullwinkle, or take out a guard if the archer was no danger this round.

Oh OK.

I hope you don't have to lose Into the Night. That would be really useful like, next turn.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, but I'll live. The Mindthief pretty much never has to take an attack unless she wants to.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Inox Encampment Round 5B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

None!

16. Inox Archer 5(E) posted:

- Inox Archer 5(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to B9(1). Trap sprung in hex B9(1)! Inox Archer 5(E) suffers 3 damage.
Inox Archer 5(E)is at 5 HP
Attacks Bullwinkle for 1 (2base, x2mod (Iron Helmet turns the crit into a +0), SHIELD1) damage.
Hide Armor charge used! 1 Remaining.
Bullwinkleis at 2 HP

Remember kids: safety first! Always wear your helmet when raiding your own people for money. Ok I'll stop, this is getting too dark. The Iron Helmet has had it first chance to shine though! Bullwinkle would have been forced to lose a card to the attack otherwise. By the way, this was the regular "x2" card, not the BLESS that the Shaman has put in the deck on Round 1.

27. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Ripley) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Spare Dagger (top)! Attacks Inox Guard 1 for 2 (3base, -1mod) damage! Gains 1XP.
Inox Guard 1 is killed!
- Bullwinkle uses Trample (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves 2 to G4.

Bullwinkle should be safe now, at least for this Round.

27. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Zulily Zoetrope) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Feedback Loop (bot)! Jumps 2 to A8(1).
- Master Splinter uses Fearsome Blade (top)! Attacks Inox Archer 5(E) for 8 (2base, x2BLESS mod +2bonus) damage!
Inox Archer 5(E) is killed!
BLESS card removed from the deck!

:ese:
Well, the plan was to PUSH the Archer onto as many traps as needed to kill him while leaving the others up to act as a barrier against a multitude of Guards and...Mindthief gonna stab. Also, we couldn't really see it before - with the "1" token over it - but the "door" to this area was actually a bank of dark fog. That has now been...opened? Vented out? Inhaled by our rat-friend? Mystery!

50. Inox Guard 2(s), 3(s), 4, 5(s), 6 posted:

- Inox Guard 2(s) focuses Master Splinter! Moves 2 to B9(1). Attacks Master Splinter for 2 (2base, +0mod) damage.
Master Splinter is at 4 HP
- Inox Guard 3(s) focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to E3.
- Inox Guard 4 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to B4.
- Inox Guard 5(s) focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to D3.
- Inox Guard 6 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to B5.

The Guards are showing their weak side: they are (more often than not) quite slow movers. This can be exploited in a room as big as this one, especially with Rocky setting up additional obstacles to navigate.

62. Inox Shaman 1 posted:

- Inox Shaman 1 focuses Master Splinter! Moves 1 to C4(1). Attacks Master Splinter for 2 (2base, +0mod, SHIELD1) damage.
Master Splinteris at 2 HP

All our party members are quite banged up at the moment! They will have to dance carefully around the enemy attacks to avoid the loss of cards due to lethal damage.

99. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Narsham) posted:

-Rocky executes a Long Rest! Recovers all discarded cards, loses Heaving Swing. Self HEAL 2HP to remove POISON token! No HP gained. Refreshes Boots of Striding and Eagle-eye Goggles.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- Scenario Objective: 7/15
- Monsters attack modifiers deck has been shuffled!
- Master Splinter executes a Short Rest! Recovers all discarded cards, loses Scurry.

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 5, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is usually the point where I go from "no worries, HP is a resource to spend" to :supaburn:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Nevermind, that could be spoilers.

Reik fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 5, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Aw dog, not Scurry! There goes my plan A for not dying. Ah well, there's a plan B and it is stabbing things.

I'm thinking I'll deal with the Shaman and Guard 2, while you guys handle the rest. Sound fair?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
What does the number on the chest mean, by the by?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

That's the key used to look it up in the back of the scenario book to figure out what's actually inside it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The chest contents aren't listed on the scenario page, to prevent you from reading it by accident. Instead, it just lists a number, which you cross-check with an appendix elsewhere in the scenario book. Some chests reward the character who opens it (like the 15 gold in Scenario 2), while others contain party rewards (like the bonus scenario in Scenario 1). This info is kept hidden to ensure that players will never know for sure. It's the same reason that loot tokens are first come first served and can't be shared; the party isn't some D&D group of heroes out to save the world, they're mercenaries looking out for number one. A point that is also hammered home by the flavor text of this scenario.

We happen to know why our crew is on an adventure; Master Splinter is an academic who's curious about Gloomhaven's past, while Rocky and Bullwinkle are trophy hunting buddies, but in a game with persistent players tied to each character, that information is also kept hidden. When that goal is met, the character peaces out for good and is never coming back (though we could always hire on a different Brute to act as our muscle if we wanted).

For the record, I have no recollection of what is in the chest, but I am absolutely planning to swipe it once I've got a handle on the local guard/shaman situation.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Aw dog, not Scurry! There goes my plan A for not dying. Ah well, there's a plan B and it is stabbing things.

I'm thinking I'll deal with the Shaman and Guard 2, while you guys handle the rest. Sound fair?

Plan A should always be stabbing things.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It's an index number. When you loot a chest you flip to the back of the scenario book and look up what you got based on that number. Treasure chest contents are always the same throughout all playthroughs.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Elephant Ambush posted:

Plan A should always be stabbing things.

I hope I didn't imply that plan A wasn't also stabbing things!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

We happen to know why our crew is on an adventure; Master Splinter is an academic who's curious about Gloomhaven's past, while Rocky and Bullwinkle are trophy hunting buddies, but in a game with persistent players tied to each character, that information is also kept hidden. When that goal is met, the character peaces out for good and is never coming back (though we could always hire on a different Brute to act as our muscle if we wanted).
While this is Isaac's idea, there is no obligation to keep your PQ secret in the manual, RAW - unlike Battle Goals. This is the official FAQ regarding PQ secrecy:

quote:

Q: do I keep my personal quest secret?
A: there's not an official rule on this, so do whatever you want. I like to keep mine secret.

Also, RE numbered treasure chests: these rewards are UNIQUE and can only be collected once. If we were to loot that chest and fail the Scenario afterwards, it would not be present during a re-do of the mission. Also their content is immediately revealed.

Edit:

Elephant Ambush posted:

Treasure chest contents are always the same throughout all playthroughs.
This is true, but to keep things fresh some rewards are randomly selected from a pool (IE: the random scenario location we got during Scenario 1).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Retired characters sometimes return to the story (briefly) during the city and road events you add to those decks upon a character's retirement! It's a really cool mechanic and some of the events are pretty funny.

Edit: I forgot about random item designs! :doh:

I guess what I should have said is that the chest in scenario 2 will always have 10 gold and the chest in scenario 1 will always have a random side scenario in it. And yeah you can't grind them. They're all one-and-done.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 5, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That Bless ended up allowing you to use the traps on the guard instead of the archer, pretty good value. Are you familiar with the Shaman deck?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've been playing as if this is my first time playing this scenario, which is working out pretty well since I quite clearly had no idea what was behind the door. I vaguely recall some of what the shaman does, but not clearly enough to have it actually affect my card choices. I'm pretty sure I'll live through whatever bullshit he's about to pull, and if that means sacrificing multiple cards and barely muddling through the scenario, all the better.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Given that Rocky has ranged attacks and high init numbers, I think healing up the Brute this turn makes the most sense. Worst-case is guards 3&5 cornering him, but assuming Bullwinkle moves fast enough, F2 and killing guard 3 means only one guard attacking this turn. Next turn I can move up and either immobilize a guard or deal some damage.

Looks like a lucky skewer might kill both 3&5!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've been playing as if this is my first time playing this scenario, which is working out pretty well since I quite clearly had no idea what was behind the door. I vaguely recall some of what the shaman does, but not clearly enough to have it actually affect my card choices. I'm pretty sure I'll live through whatever bullshit he's about to pull, and if that means sacrificing multiple cards and barely muddling through the scenario, all the better.

Yeah, I tried to play scenario 1 as if I didn't know what was behind the doors and it was more fun that way. Our group had a particularly demoralizing scenario where the only enemy left was a Shaman and our only non-exhausted player left was Cthulhu face, so I've had the Shaman cards seared in to my brain.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 5, 2019

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reik posted:

Yeah, I tried to play scenario 1 as if I didn't know what was behind the doors and it was more fun that way. Our group had a particularly demoralizing scenario where the only enemy left was a Shaman and our only non-exhausted player left was Cthulhu face, so I've had the Shaman cards seared in to my brain.

There's one Shaman card in particular that is extremely hard to forget once you've experienced it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Next turn if guards get 2 move guard 3 will stop in F3 blocking guard 5, correct? I feel Bullwinkle should go slow (and cardtank the attack if needed) to set up a fast turn later on.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
That was some quality stabbing action from Splinter. :ese:

The guards are standing next to each other so obligingly for skewering, I wouldn't want to disappoint them.

But Omobono has a point as well, hmm.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Quote isn't edit! First time I've done that one.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Honestly? Scenario is almost over (15 targets needed, 7 down, 6 on board, last two should be easy) and you've got cards to spare. I'd say 3 movement (or more) is actually best case, because then everyone clumps together in a nice juicy target. (You still have the stamina potion, right?)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Omobono posted:

Honestly? Scenario is almost over (15 targets needed, 7 down, 6 on board, last two should be easy) and you've got cards to spare. I'd say 3 movement (or more) is actually best case, because then everyone clumps together in a nice juicy target. (You still have the stamina potion, right?)

I will have the AoE Muddle attack ready to go if that does happen. If the guards pull their +1 move this turn, they go after I heal Bullwinkle anyway.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Inox Encampment Round 6A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

None!

ROUND REVEAL posted:

Well, the thread was dreading one specific card from the Shaman's deck, and we may assume it was this one...at least it looks like the Shaman won't be able to TARGET2!
"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Bullwinkle (Hand7, Discarded2, Active0, Lost1) is acting at initiative 10 with Provoking Roar and Skewer.

10. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Ripley) posted:

code:
"PROVOKING ROAR (10) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2 - DISARM
BOT: Round bonus Any enemy who targets one of your adjacent allies with an attack this round targets you with that attack instead, regardless of the attack's range."

"SKEWER (35) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK 3, PBAOE (check image), Consume AIR: +1ATK, PIERCE1 - XP1
BOT: MOVE6 - XP1 - LOSS"
Master Splinter (Hand8, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 27 with Fearsome Blade and Withering Claw.

27. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Zulily Zoetrope) posted:

code:
"FEARSOME BLADE (27) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2 - PUSH3 - XP1
BOT: MOVE4 - ATK2 - XP2 - LOSS"

"WITHERING CLAW (77) [LvlX]
TOP: Augment - Persistent Bonus On your melee attacks add MUDDLE and POISON - ATK1 - XP1 (discard when another augment is played)
BOT: IMMOBILIZE (Target one adjacent enemy) - MOVE3"
Rocky (Hand10, Discarded0, Active0, Lost1) is acting at initiative 29 with Rumbling Advance and Earthen Clod.

29. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Narsham) posted:

code:
"RUMBLING ADVANCE (29) [Lvl1]
TOP: HEAL4, Range2 - Generate EARTH
BOT: MOVE2 - All adjacent allies and enemies suffer 1 damage - Generate EARTH"

"EARTHEN CLOD (38) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2, Range5 - Consume EARTH: IMMOBILIZE, XP1
BOT: HEAL2, Range3"

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, that's the bad shaman card. There's another I was dreading even more, but too bad, we're never gonna see it. :ese:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, that's the bad shaman card. There's another I was dreading even more, but too bad, we're never gonna see it. :ese:

Someone is not afraid of the :xcom: curse!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Or should I say...

(If anyone wants to have a go at it, feel free to improve my crappy design!)

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Haven't seen that shaman card before. I like it - impressively mean with that initiative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I like how "flavourful" the enemy cards are. For a bunch of numbers with no art, description or fluff, they give each monster a very distinct personality. Other games could learn from it.