Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

namad posted:

I think in the rulebook personal quest's are selected in secret but battle goals can be selected publicly? Then again maybe I just misread the rules, but when I played we selected battle goal's in public (of course it wasn't up for debate but if someone selected a goal that literally made another players goal impossible they could choose not to choose it).

Battle Goals are intended to be completely secret until the end of the scenario when you reveal whether or not you completed yours. Of course, it's usually pretty easy for an experienced player to figure out why the Scoundrel suddenly doesn't want to end their turn on a space with a coin, etc, but that's the intent.

According to the designer of the game, Personal Quests are up to the players whether they're secret or not. There's no rule prohibiting players from sharing their Personal Quests, but in his home game the players keep them secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

namad posted:

I think in the rulebook personal quest's are selected in secret but battle goals can be selected publicly?

It's the other way around :) PQs can be shared, but Battle Goals have to be kept secret. I like the idea of sharing all the BGs, including the discarded ones, itt for everyone to speculate (without revealing who got what)! I'll add that as a vote to see what's everyone opinion in the next update.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

namad posted:

You might want to post all 6 battle goal cards and then let the chosen players select their goal's in secret, but with the knowledge of what the other player's available choices were/are.
A) because it would be fun B) It'll be another cool thing for the thread to see and second guess, even if they have no input on it and C) because I swear that was the rule (but I didn't double check.)

I'm actually very cool with this. Posting all six, but not telling anyone who got which two would be a really fun bit of extra context for the scenarios.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

namad posted:

Even if what you say is true, the way the game is balanced, the first characters are likely to retire at almost the exact same time they reach lvl9, assuming they're ignoring their personal quest (If they focus it down more like 4/5). So we might get to see the card played once, in one combo. Whereas if the mindthief had appeared later, and started at level 4, it could've hung around lvl9 for ages! Hopefully this thread is super successful though and after 50or60 missions we just create a second mindthief! Also @OP I hope you remember to remove 1 checkmark box from each level of town prosperity. (The first edition of the game had town levels go up too slowly so the second print run of the game removed one checkmark box from each town level on the prosperity tracker).

Well, the game is designed for you to get to level 9 before retiring if you deliberately don't play the way the game is designed. Ideally, you have one character with a PQ that will take a long time who will hit L9, while other characters retire sooner. The idea is for groups to build for synergy across multiple scenarios and then to change part of the group to force players to reconsider how they play their characters to meet the new dynamic. Really, that mechanic is at the heart of the game: relative simplicity of concept (like action cards) made complex through an extremely wide range of potential combinations and circumstances.

Things like the Reddit guides tend to focus in on the obvious, self-contained combinations that work, but honestly, there's a whole lot of range to be seen. I can't discuss specifics yet, but I've seen one class played four times by three different players, and it played radically differently in terms both of what it accomplished by itself and the degree to which it interacted with or enabled other characters. A game which finds a way to make the "optimal" approach constantly in flux is a game that can hold the interest of any player interested in being even vaguely optimal.

I advise keeping the BG choices secret, as players shouldn't know. One of the most amusing things in the game is when somebody suddenly does something inexplicable and you realize it's BG-related. (In one scenario, after killing my third enemy I announced "I'm done killing things" and the rest of the group had to work around that.) It's another way to introduce uncertainty and a shifting dynamic, while forcing players to try out different approaches. Always long-rest with your character? Well, for this scenario you now have to try getting along only short-resting!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Retirement time really, really depends on what goal you get at what point in the campaign. I played my first character to level 9, and had to focus on my goal at that, while the rest of our party retired around level 5 (hell, we might have had a second character retire before I managed to retire my first one). I really wouldn't plan around retirement timing this early on, aside from "it'll take a while." This is pre-first scenario after all; even level 4 and 5 is a long way in the future.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Corbeau posted:

Retirement time really, really depends on what goal you get at what point in the campaign. I played my first character to level 9, and had to focus on my goal at that, while the rest of our party retired around level 5 (hell, we might have had a second character retire before I managed to retire my first one). I really wouldn't plan around retirement timing this early on, aside from "it'll take a while." This is pre-first scenario after all; even level 4 and 5 is a long way in the future.

The Cragheart and Tinkerer definitely retired before you, but I think Tink was around 7 or 8?

Then we were Brute/Spellweaver/Ubisoft for a long time; the Brute hit 7 or 8 and Ubisoft got all the way to 9. I'm pretty sure you retired the Spellweaver well before either of us retired.

The important takeaway, however, is that we should not be planning retirements before we get started.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I definitely agree that it's way too early to be planning retirements (there are some which can happen early on, though not so much in the batch we got), but I would just like to reiterate that Fall of Man is terribly designed and might actually become essentially impossible to complete. I'll expound more on it once we get much further along in the game if I remember (it's waaaaay too spoilery now), but it's just an awful, awful quest. Personal Quests clearly did not get a lot of sanity/balance testing -- the rest of the game is almost beautifully balanced, but there are some really obnoxious PQs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

I definitely agree that it's way too early to be planning retirements (there are some which can happen early on, though not so much in the batch we got), but I would just like to reiterate that Fall of Man is terribly designed and might actually become essentially impossible to complete. I'll expound more on it once we get much further along in the game if I remember (it's waaaaay too spoilery now), but it's just an awful, awful quest. Personal Quests clearly did not get a lot of sanity/balance testing -- the rest of the game is almost beautifully balanced, but there are some really obnoxious PQs.

My group just finished it up a couple of weeks ago so I'm baffled by this assertion.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Some Numbers posted:

My group just finished it up a couple of weeks ago so I'm baffled by this assertion.

I'm with Zurai. Fall of Man is terrible, because it's very easy to not unlock the scenarios you need. I made it from level 1 to 9 with that retirement goal, long after everyone else in my group had retired

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I posted my reasoning in the Trad Games Gloomhaven thread. I don't want to derail this thread any further and the reasons are pretty spoiler-filled.

EDIT: I also want to be clear that it's not a fail state or anything if we go with The Fall of Man, we can always just set aside the rat if we get tired of it and the end of the Personal Quest isn't in sight.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 20, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Splinter will just continue to get older and older and mentor the new recruits.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Reik posted:

Splinter will just continue to get older and older and mentor the new recruits.

Now we just need to lobby Isaac into releasing a turtle creature as a new expansion hero.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Final votes are in!

Our heroes, The Torch Thieves have an identity:
- Master Splinter, the Vermling Mindthief, want turtles to rule the world and is scheming to achieve the Fall of Man
- Rocky, the Savvas Cragheart, is going to Topple some Giants
- Bullwinkle, the Inox Brute wants to collect them all to become the ultimate Trophy Hunter

Our party is going to help the Sanctuary of the Great Oak by laying down some foundations.

Full update ASAP! Reik, Some Numbers and SalTheBard expect a PM soon! If you don't have access to PMs, please email gloomhavenlp@gmail.com with your preferred contact email!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 21, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Black Barrow, Update 1

The Torch Thieves are not afraid to dirty their hands (Option A)

City Event 05 posted:

Let's have a look at those outcomes!
- First thing first, the teared card icon at the bottom right of the event means that this card is now removed from the game - we won't encounter it in the future no matter what. Some other cards are put at the bottom of the relevant Event deck instead.
- Each hero in the party would be losing one checkmark, if we had any...so it's a good thing we don't! Those are gained when completing Battle Goals and, every 3 of those, an hero can select a new Perk (we'll talk more about Perks the first time someone levels up).
- The party gains 1 reputation: many events have consequences that are only applied if the party meets specific reputation
requirements (see for example outcome for Option B); store prices are also influenced by it (this will be tracked in the Party Sheet).
- The town of Gloomhaven gains 1 prosperity: every time the Prosperity Tracker reaches certains thresholds, Gloomhaven gains a Prosperity Level. Better items become available in the city market at every level; also, newly hired heroes can start at an hero level equal to the prosperity level of the city.
All things considered, a very good outcome! City Events tend to have a more positive outcome, in general, compared to Road ones.

I think it's time to start the game for good, what do you say?

Gloomhaven posted:

Everyone needs to eat.
Whatever your reason for coming to Gloomhaven, out here on the edge of the world, that simple fact is never going to change. A mercenary can’t fight on an empty stomach.
So when Jekserah, a Valrath woman wearing a red cloak and enough gold jewelry to keep you fed for a decade, approaches you in the Sleeping Lion and offers to pay you ten gold coins to track down a thief and retrieve some stolen goods...well, it seems like as good an excuse as any to sober up and start paying off your tab.
“This thief has taken some important documents,” says the red-skinned merchant, her tail whipping about in agitation. “I don’t care what you do to him. Just bring back what is mine.”
Based on Jekserah’s description, it was easy enough to knock around a few alley thugs and get a location of the thieves’ hideout. You don’t fnd yourself as a mercenary way out in Gloomhaven without knowing how to crack a few skulls.
So your target is the Black Barrow. Sounds like a lovely place.

NEW LOCATION - The Black Barrow (01)
GLOBAL ACHIEVEMENT - City Rules: Militaristic

While playing Gloomhaven, we'll unravel its mysteries and explore its lands. In this case, we have unlocked our first Scenario, The Black Barrow. Scenarios are the dungeon crawling part of the game; each Scenario has unique story, rewards and challenges. Every time a Scenario is unlocked, we get to attach a sticker to the world map: those places are available for exploration at any times, by any adventure group - as long as they meet the requirements.

To give you an idea, this is the full world map. There are more than 100 Scenarios available in Gloomhaven; on top of that, there are rules to generate random dungeons, if you want to play the same campaign for 6 years.

We've also unlocked our first Global Achievement: these are mostly used to track the current "world status". Unlocking new ones changes the game world permanently and affects other parties as well. This specific one doesn't have any relevant effect for now. There are also Party Achievements: these are used to track the progress of a specific party through the campaign and have other potential effects. We'll be tracking both kind of cheevos in our Party Sheet (I'll post a picture of it in the next update).

Before adventuring out of town, our heroes are allowed to spend their initial allowance of 30 gold to buy items. The markets in Gloomhaven have an Item Pool that is based on the prosperity level of the city and on other potential unlocks.
- Items can have a passive effect and/or an active one.
- Active items can be SPENT after use ( similar icon to Magic the Gathering "tap" - in this case they can be used again after each Long Rest) or DISCARDED(red "X" on white card symbol - one time use per Scenario).
- Every hero can own an unlimited amount of items, but they can only equip a certain quantity based on slots (2 hands, head, body, legs and 1 small item per 1/2 level of the hero, rounded down).
- Some items inflict penalties, usually in the form of additional -1 negative modifier cards to be added to the hero's deck.
These are the items available for purchase at the moment - there are limited copies available per item (check the small "1/X" note on each card, under the image):

There are suggested starting items for each of our heroes:
- Mindthief: Poison Dagger (Item 011), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
- Cragheart: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Power Potion (Item 014)
- Brute: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Healing Potion (Item 012)
We'll VOTE to decide if we want to keep the default ones or buy new items before leaving town.

It is time for the Toch Thieves to head out into the world and face their first Road Event! These are usually less positive than City Events, but it's not always the case. The fate has decided we'll encounter...

Road Event 12 posted:

So don't forget to VOTE on this too!

Barring an horrible death at the end of the tribble menace, our heroes have reached the Black Barrow.

INTRODUCTION posted:

The hill is easy enough to find—a short journey past the New Market Gate and you see it jutting out on the edge of the Corpsewood, looking like a rat under a rug. Moving closer you see the mound is formed from a black earth. Its small, overgrown entrance presents a worn set of stone stairs leading down into the darkness.
As you descend, you gratefully notice light emanating from below. Unfortunately, the light is accompanied by the unmistakable stench of death. You contemplate what kind of thieves would make their camp in such a horrid place as you reach the bottom of the steps. Here you find your answer—a rough group of cutthroats who don’t seem to have taken very kindly to your sudden appearance. One in the back matches the description of your quarry.
“Take care of these unfortunates,” he says, backing out of the room. You can vaguely make out his silhouette as he retreats down a hallway and through a door to his left.
“Well, it’s not every day we get people stupid enough to hand-deliver their valuables to us,” grins one of the larger bandits, unsheathing a rusty blade. “We’ll be killing you now.”
Joke’s on them. If you had any valuables, you probably wouldn’t be down here in the first place.
Scenario Objective: Kill all enemies
And with this mental one liner, we come to our very first turn! Our players will start in a location of their choice among the ones marked with the ICE token:

Regular Bandit Guards stats are:
6HP
3MOVE
2AT

VOTE FOR
- Road event outcome (A or B)
- Starting Items: keep the recommended ones or buy new ones (in this case, please specify which ones and for whom)

- Everyone is also encouraged to offer their suggestions regarding starting decks, initial positions and ofc first round actions! The acti players will have the last word on these, but thread participation is highly encouraged. Just make sure keep it civil, please :)

Reik, Some Numbers and SalTheBard, please don't forget to provide your Starting deck! You'll also receive a PM (or email - in this case don't forget to provide me with your contact!) for you to submit your initial orders and choose your Battle Goal for this scenario.
I've thought a bit about how orders should be submitted and this seems like a good solution:
- Specify two plans, using the two possible combinations of top/bottom. PLAN A is your preferred one.
- Select one or more preferred target(s) for your attacks. (IE: "n.3"; or "n.4 if it's still alive, otherwise n.5")
- Select one or more preferred final location for your movements.
- Specify the maximum enemy focus threshold you will tolerate: if your selected orders move you in a place that puts you into N+ enemy focus, I'll try to accomodate that into your orders. This is to avoid potential suicide rushes, since you will operate without full knowledge of potential enemy positions.
- (OPTIONAL) add your intention for the round. This will allow me to better understand and execute your idea (IE: I want to grab focus from the enemies trying to kill PlayerX).

As per the discussion in the thread, I'll post the randomly selected Battle Goals here, without revealing who got what, nor who picked what. If you're one the active players, please keep this a secret!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
EDIT: PMs are out! :getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 21, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I remember this road event so I will not vote for it.

As far as items, we need all new ones

Mindthief: Cloak of Invisibility (Item 005), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
Cragheart: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
Brute: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)

Reasoning for new items: Stamina potions are super good and everyone should start with one. Boots of Striding are good so they can stay. (Cragheart is kind of slow, and Brute has cards that benefit you more the further you move.) Mindthief can be a bit squishy and an invisibility cloak is a great "whoops I'm about to die" save, as well as helping in tactical door opening. I thought about Eagle Eye Goggles for the Cragheart (I got great use out of them personally), but it costs our entire gold for this level and I think a stamina potion is needed first, and we'd want boots at some point anyway.

Reasoning why not old items: Healing potions are worse than Stamina potions, IMO. Power Potion is also good on a Cragheart since it is good for area attacks, but you can only carry one small item at level 1 so the Stamina Potion is the way to go. Finally, the poison dagger isn't that great - poison is only going to add maybe 1 or 2 damage most of the time, and often you'll overkill enemies so it won't even matter. It would buff Submissive Affliction, but the party isn't super condition heavy so I don't think it's worth it for trying to go all in on that card.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 21, 2018

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Piell posted:

Agreeing with these items.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

In case you've missed my edit, I've posted the Battle Goal pool for this Scenario without revealing who got what, nor who picked what. If you're one the active players, please keep this a secret! Anyone else is free to make suggestions :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Minor stamina potions are a great buy for all characters but inexperienced players may initially get more mileage out of health potions.

I agree that the mind thief wants the Cloak of Invisibility. The boots of striding or hide armor are both good Brute purchases.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zurai posted:

Agreeing with these items.
Same.

Also, save the puppy, you monsters!

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Piell posted:

I agree with these!

As for the road event... it's probably going to turn out to be some dragon's dog, which is going to murder us for trying to kidnap its dog, or something like that, but... we can't just leave the dog out there alone! Take the dog back to GH.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Been playing quite a lot of Brute, so let me just say that Balanced Measure sounds great, but as a new player, you almost certainly want something more reliable. Also, Leaping Cleave literally never left my deck his whole career, so keep that one. Jump is very good, as are area attacks.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

As a Cragheart player, some advice for whoever's got Rocky:

A Cragheart player at this level can choose to focus more on ranged or more on melee attacks. With this party composition, you probably want to lean towards the ranged attacks, since both Bullwinkle and Master Splinter are melee characters (Splinter has some ranged attacks but they are more crowd control than actual damaging attacks). Your weakness is that your initiative is hideously slow and, at level 1, so is your general movement speed. I would advise bringing Backup Ammunition, Dirt Tornado, and Massive Boulder just for their movement even if they weren't also good ranged cards; I'd also keep an eye on the cards you cut to make sure you don't cut all of your cards with half-decent initiative. You'll have to deal with acting later in the turn order, it's part of the balancing factor for the class being as good as it is, but you don't want to completely remove your ability to act quickly-ish if you need to.

Also, one piece of advice for the Master Splinter player, based on the mis-adventures of my home game's Mindthief:

Please, please bring The Mind's Weakness. All of your other cards pretty much assume you're getting that +2 damage.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I agree with Piell's item suggestions, if I have a say. The Brute's Hide Armor can wait until after he gets his first perk.

Road event - I have not encountered this one. Save the puppy! Everyone loves puppies!

Cragheart Advice - yes focus on ranged attacks. Backup Ammo is one of the best L1/X cards in the game, and it combos beautifully with both Forceful Storm and Massive Boulder.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

Please, please bring The Mind's Weakness. All of your other cards pretty much assume you're getting that +2 damage.
I have read a houserule idea that's basically... Increase all the Mindthief's melee attack values by 1, and reduce Mind's Weakness to a +1 bonus.

But I am guessing we don't want to try out houserules in this let's play. :)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Piell posted:

I agree with these items

Also, I've done this road event before, but even if I hadn't, who just leaves a puppy to die? Vote to take the puppy back to GH.

I assume there's normal turn discussion? I.E. we can give a general outline of our turn but not saying what specific cards we're playing, what initiative we're going on, or any other numbers?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

In case I wasn't clear, if you're an active player, you are free to discuss your orders in the thread and cooperate with the remaining playera on a common plan! The PM is only needed to submit your final orders. Yiu are allowed to discuss initiative numbers and card names as well (but ofc you are free to keep some information from the thread). Per Isaac clarification: As long as you avoid specific numerical values and card names, you can say whatever you want.

We'll play Scenario 1 on easy for a start, as it's kinda brutal if someone is not used to Gloomhaven; if we find it too easy, we can scale up; controversely, if the current system for orders doesn't work out, we can try some of the other ones discussed in the Trad Games thread before the beginning of the LP.

PS: also active players please let me know if you want to specify an enemy focus threshold for this round, to avoid a potential suicide charge :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 22, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
My plan is to go late in the round as to not get exploded by bandit guards, move in, and see if I can finish anyone off.

Is there a way to denote elite vs normal in TTS? I don't see a differentiation on the current map.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

My plan is to go late in the round as to not get exploded by bandit guards, move in, and see if I can finish anyone off.

Is there a way to denote elite vs normal in TTS? I don't see a differentiation on the current map.

All 6 Bandid Guards we see at the moment are normal! Elites have a yellow outline instead of a red one in tts.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Reik posted:

They're actually all normals in this room.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The puppy is obviously a trap. Obviously. And the taking it back to Gloomhaven option doesn't specify we're keeping it, it seems like we just turn it loose in the streets?

And yet, I am still inclined against all my better instincts, to save the puppy. I see your trap and I willingly insert my face into it. I do not care. Puppy!

I will agree with Piell's item choices as well because more cards is more gooder, right? Right.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Ah, that makes sense. Does TTS have a good display of monster stats? I don't think it will have an impact on my turn 1, but it could be useful in future rounds.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I believe That Italian Guy is going to be using the display from Gloomhaven Helper, which will display all of the relevant character and monster stats.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm willing to accept the mob's item choices, but since everyone wants Rocky to be a ranged attacker, I think we can agree that his next goal should be Eagle Eye Goggles?

Also, the Brute should aim for the Iron Helmet and Hide Armor pretty soon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Also, since we just upped our rep, I'm going to be a jerk and vote to let the puppy fend for itself.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Does TTS have a good display of monster stats? I don't think it will have an impact on my turn 1, but it could be useful in future rounds.

I can't believe I have not provided stats for the Bandits I mean, they are mysterious bandits with no stats on round 1.
I'll be using Gloomhaven Helper to keep track and display most details; this is a mockup with the helper UI on the right, so it'll look something like that:

Regular Bandit Guards stats are:
6HP
3MOVE
2AT

Edit: also, I'll be on a plane for a few hours, so don't despair if you receive no answer to questions/PMs!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 21, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Quick reminder for active players: according to the rules as written, you can't take X cards on until after the first scenario. However this is Italian Guy's game and he can house rule it if he wants. Just sucks that technically the Brute can't take Balanced Measure.

I completely disagree with the poster who said Balanced Measure isn't that great. It is. It really is. Which is why I agree with the item choices proposed. It sucks not having Hide armor until later but in this game damage output is supreme.

Road event vote: Save the puppy!

Items vote: Same as everyone else

Also LMAO that my character names all got voted in. Thanks for validating my old man 80s jokes. :haw:

Good luck to the players! I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Edit: completely agree that the Cragheart should save gold for Eagle Eye Goggles. Combining that with Backup Ammo (and eventually a Minor Power Potion sometime after hitting level 3) is nutso. Maybe the Piercing Bow after that.

Brute should totally get the anti-crit helmet too. That item can literally be the difference between a scenario victory or failure.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 21, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Brute: do you mind getting in front of me so I can set up some AOEs?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Quick reminder for active players: according to the rules as written, you can't take X cards on until after the first scenario. However this is Italian Guy's game and he can house rule it if he wants. Just sucks that technically the Brute can't take Balanced Measure.

I believe that's just a suggestion, since X cards are more complex compared to LVL1 ones? I may be misremembering, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

The game recommends you don't take them if you've never played a game before. Unless people really want to squawk, I'm absolutely taking a couple of mine.

quote:

I completely disagree with the poster who said Balanced Measure isn't that great. It is. It really is. Which is why I agree with the item choices proposed. It sucks not having Hide armor until later but in this game damage output is supreme.
PMush didn't say Balanced Measure isn't great (card is awesome), just that it's volatile and might not be super reliable this early and I tend to agree. It's a lot better once the Brute gets more Move 4s in its deck.

Which is not to say the Brute shouldn't take it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

The game recommends you don't take them if you've never played a game before. Unless people really want to squawk, I'm absolutely taking a couple of mine.

PMush didn't say Balanced Measure isn't great (card is awesome), just that it's volatile and might not be super reliable this early and I tend to agree. It's a lot better once the Brute gets more Move 4s in its deck.

Which is not to say the Brute shouldn't take it!

That's fair. Sorry to PMush for misquoting. I agree that it requires some setup to use effectively but I disagree that it's unreliable.

Please take X cards if Italian Guy allows it! Even if he lets the thread vote I don't think many people will be rules lawyers about it.