Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Straight White Shark posted:

My wife and I just got to scenario 18 :stare: Who the gently caress thought that any of this was a good idea?

Mother loving oozes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Sir this is the Let Us Play thread

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Reik posted:

How so? Attack 3 or Heal 3 is pretty standard value for a top action at level 1, and this pretty regularly going to be a total attack+heal of 4, in line with a card like Stamina Booster, with a potential attack+heal upside of 6.

Note that Rocky cannot heal himself with Sentient Growth (you are not your own ally in this game), and generally speaking Master Splinter doesn't really get beat up. That means that unless Bullwinkle is next to two enemies who are also next to each other, you're not getting the full 6 out of it. Most of the time it's going to be Attack 2, Heal 2 or Attack 2, Attack 2, neither of which are really anything to write home about. Rocky already has plenty of "hit multiple enemies for low to moderate damage" cards, he doesn't really need another. If we take Sentient Growth, it's for the healing, and honestly you do not actually need a healer in Gloomhaven.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I vote to go to the Diamond Mine. .

I'm never going to see that, I've already seen the Warehouse. :)

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I've never seen how the Diamond Mine plays out either, so I'm voting for that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

King Burgundy posted:

I vote to go to the Diamond Mine. .

I'm never going to see that, I've already seen the Warehouse. :)

This but the opposite.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Diamond Mine. Let's see how deep this goes.

Option B for the road event.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We did the Diamond Mine, so I vote Warehouse.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
City Management III, Update 2 and Scenario 9 Preamble.

MVP! posted:

:agesilaus: Our MVP for Scenario 3 is Rocky, as piloted by Narsham :agesilaus:
Rocky is the best at what it does, and what it does is very nice.

Final call for the last round of votes posted:

- Rocky's Card: Explosive Punch
- Bullwinkle's Card: Fatal Advance
- The :10bux: from the event are going to Rocky!
- Rocky will also donate (there was no clear winner between donating and buying a Warhammer, but there were several votes against the Warhammer in the first place. Donating now leaves us with enough riches to <probably> be able to buy the hammer next, if we want to do so).
- Bullwinkle is buying an Heather Shield
Updated Sheets:

Road Event 5, resolution posted:

Effect: Gain 1 collective Necklace of Teeth!

We're friends, see! And we most definitely know nothing about what's happened to that village...Each character can only equip a single Head slot item, but if more than one is in their possession, the active player can choose which one they want to equip before the start of a Scenario. Please vote on who should be getting this item! Remember that, once assigned to someone, it CAN'T be traded back around :)

The vote for our next Scenario is tied! I've tried waiting for a bit and see if the tie would be broken, but no new votes have arrived. At this point I have to either run the update now or skip until tomorrow so I'll break the tie and say we go to the Diamond Mine (since I've never seen this path!) This is in line with our previous endeavor, but our "Are we the baddies?" path is not completely locked on, at least for now. And hey, money!

Let's examine our next destination: Scenario 9 - Diamond Mine

Scenario 9 - Diamond Mine - Location posted:

The Diamond Mine is far west, below the Watcher Mountains.

Scenario 9 - Diamond Mine - Features posted:

These are the details we know about Scenario 3 before starting it:
Links to:nothing!
Requirements: The Merchant Flees (Global) INCOMPLETE.
Goal: Kill the Merciless Overseer and loot the treasure tile.
Tiles in the Scenario:

Map Layout:

Scenario 9 - Diamond Mine - Creatures posted:

These are the stats for this Scenario's creatures:

Since we have not faced any of these enemies before, we don't know what their ability cards are! The Merciless Overseer's attack Value of "V" is equal to the number of Vermling Scouts present at any given time.
EDIT: we have faced another Boss before! Bosses all share the same deck, although their stat cards/abilities and their specials are different.

Scenario 9 - Diamond Mine - Introduction posted:

Ignoring Argeise’s warnings, you head to the diamond mine. “Sinister machinations” is, of course, a troubling phrase to throw around, but the phrase “considerable reward” trumps that in a heartbeat.
Heading into the damp underground cavern, you were expecting to find a few scraggly Vermlings to make easy work of. You certainly weren’t expecting a pack of vicious hounds guarding the entrance. Finding this diamond may prove more difficult than originally anticipated.
Scenario Special Rules
- None!

Players spaw tiles are marked with a STRENGTHEN token.
For the sake of the thread speculation, these are the 6 Battle Goals drawn for this Scenario (active players, please keep the ones you have receveid secret until the end of the Scenario!):

We have a full-sub team for this Round :)
DarthRoblox Fat Samurai and Car Hater please provide:
- Your hand selection for this Scenario (please specify what you are removing and what you are adding, if you change something);
- Pick one of the Battle Goals provided in the PM;
- Your starting location. You can freely discuss this itt.

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 21, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I sorta dig that Bullwinkle and Rocky are making steady progress on the PQs while Master Splinter is not. If anyone should be a veteran combatant taking new adventurers under their wing, it should be her. :3: Though if any starter class is worth recruiting after having retired already, it's the Cragheart.

For the necklace, trickle healing is good for any of our characters, and Bullwinkle would probably get the most out of it with his health pool and predilection for killing, but he's already got the Iron Helmet which on balance will provide a similar amount of health through damage mitigation.

I say give it to Master Splinter. She won't take as much damage as Bullwinkle, but she'll do as much killing and she's got the free head slot and probably isn't interested in getting the Eagle Eye Goggles or the Iron Helmet.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

That was quite a nice outcome for a road event, wow.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Zack Ater posted:

That was quite a nice outcome for a road event, wow.

This road event catches a lot of flak because if you aren't recently wracked with guilt from the battle at wounded Inox you don't really have a reason to not side with the Gloomhaven guards, and this event is the only way to get that item.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gloomhaven isn't a game that allows for 100% completion, though. We're also locking ourselves out of a scenario and any scenario that might follow from it. I haven't actually checked if it's the case, but I'm sure there are mutually exclusive scenarios that unlock unique items as well.

Part of the fun of following this thread is watching the players unlock things you've never seen and locking themselves out of options that were fundamental to your own party's strategies.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Reik posted:

This road event catches a lot of flak because if you aren't recently wracked with guilt from the battle at wounded Inox you don't really have a reason to not side with the Gloomhaven guards, and this event is the only way to get that item.

Yeah, that's fair. I'm just used to road events being either one option is more bad and the other less bad, but both are bad, or one being bad and the other being neutral. I think this is the second positive road event resolution I've seen, and it being an item - which persists until whomever gets it sells it or retires, and even then it become purchasable, so it's a permanent positive result - seems like quite a good outcome.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Reik posted:

Gloomhaven's setting is revealed a bit at a time, without giving the players a real intro to its key components. Siding with the city guards vs random attackers is definitely what your average "good" dnd party would do in a blank fantasy setting...BUT.
If the setting was explained more at the start of the campaign, the players would know that these guards are part of the militaristic junta that controls the City; and that humans and other non-native people are occupying the local people's (Inox and Vermlings) lands, doing what your average colonialist power does. This in turn could change the way the players perceive the conflict, and change which side would be the "good guys" in an blank fantasy setting.

The elements are there if you pay attention enough (You are mercenaries instead of adventurers, the first Global Achievement you get is "City Rule: Militaristic", you have the chance to work for Jekserah and murder random natives for profit if you decide to, etc), but they're more of a background element than proper storytelling pieces...which I guess is to be expected from a game whose content can be play non-sequentially.

EDIT: that said, GH is not a particularly "grim-dark" or edgy game; it's just that most people expect some elements to be "default DnD setting" while they're not.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 21, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I vote to give the necklace to Master Splinter. Bullwinkle already has the best helmet for him and I hope that eventually Rocky will buy the goggles.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what this party does in this scenario. Good luck everyone!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Gloomhaven's setting is revealed a bit at a time, without giving the players a real intro to its key components. Siding with the city guards vs random attackers is definitely what your average "good" dnd party would do in a blank fantasy setting...BUT.
If the setting was explained more at the start of the campaign, the players would know that these guards are part of the militaristic junta that controls the City; and that humans and other non-native people are occupying the local people's (Inox and Vermlings) lands, doing what your average colonialist power does. This in turn could change the way the players perceive the conflict, and change which side would be the "good guys" in an blank fantasy setting.

The elements are there if you pay attention enough (You are mercenaries instead of adventurers, the first Global Achievement you get is "City Rule: Militaristic", you have the chance to work for Jekserah and murder random natives for profit if you decide to, etc), but they're more of a background element than proper storytelling pieces...which I guess is to be expected from a game whose content can be play non-sequentially.

EDIT: that said, GH is not a particularly "grim-dark" or edgy game; it's just that most people expect some elements to be "default DnD setting" while they're not.

Ah, yeah I wasn't really paying attention to the Gloomhaven junta thing, I just thought it was racism after the whole lynching a vermling city event.

I vote give the necklace to Splinter. It's really good for clearing poison/wound before you do the bottom of empathetic assault for a heal 2.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

I just thought it was racism after the whole lynching a vermling city event.

Oh, Vermlings are definitely a target of serious racism in the game. Another example is one of the possible personal goal cards which describes your motivations as seeking justice against those who prey on the weak -- but not Vermlings because they can't help themselves.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Fat Samurai had to drop out of the game, so MarquiseMindfang is going to be our Cragheart for this Scenario :) Check your PMs and please let me know if you need more time to provide your choices!

EDIT: also, as always, if anyone wants to sign up, feel free to ask in the thread!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
This seems like an interesting boss fight because on the one hand you have a ton of scouts that will really suffer from AoE damage as well as make the boss hit harder, but on the other hand in a boss fight you normally want to single target down the boss as soon as possible so AoE isn't ideal.

Also, bosses count as a different monster type for Bullwinkle's PQ, right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

Yep!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Nice.

Also, even though completing the Diamond Mine will lock out the Gloomhaven Warehouse, we can still do the Gloomhaven Warehouse in casual mode because and have the boss scenario and monster type kills count towards Personal Quest completion. So if we get a third boss killed and we want Rocky to retire, we can always go back and do it on casual.

You can't do any scenario in casual mode, but because we've unlocked the Gloomhaven Warehouse (we have the sticker on the map) we can do it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

This seems like an interesting boss fight because on the one hand you have a ton of scouts that will really suffer from AoE damage as well as make the boss hit harder, but on the other hand in a boss fight you normally want to single target down the boss as soon as possible so AoE isn't ideal.

Each different Boss is a unique enemy type that counts as +1 for Bullwinkle's PQ yeah!

Also technically the objective is to kill the Boss and Loot the treasure tile; so as long as at least 1 character is left standing at the end of the Round after those criteria are fulfilled, you don't need to kill anything else. Of course, that could be easier said than done...

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Well hello hounds, aren't you quite close and mobile. I'm (Splinter) thinking I'd be better off starting in a back row along with Rocky since those hounds can reach anywhere in the room, and have Bullwinkle up front in case they pull a low initiative card. I'm thinking F2/E3/G3 so that up to 2 hounds will focus/attack Bullwinkle if we can't stun/kill them all early.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I vote to give the necklace to Master Splinter. Bullwinkle already has the best helmet for him and I hope that eventually Rocky will buy the goggles.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what this party does in this scenario. Good luck everyone!

Agreed, Splinter should have the necklace (heal on a shiv is a good deal for her). Note that Rocky already has the goggles.

An enemy assessment without knowledge of their action decks is always tricky, but here's what anyone can see via public information:
1. Hounds are tough. Bandit Archers have only one more hp, in comparison. With such a high movement, staying out of melee is going to be very difficult, and they'll be able to swarm you fairly easily unless blocked. The retaliate is a nuisance with the regular hounds, who can be one-hit-killed and shouldn't take more than two hits to finish off (with only the first triggering retaliation); it's a bigger deal with the elites, who can possibly trigger twice and deal 4 damage before dying. Coupled with their movement, the hounds can expect to do damage with retaliation unless ranged attackers allow other characters to get mobbed; if you have the room, it's viable to back off and then shoot, but with this many dogs in play there's a risk of getting cornered briefly. 2 damage isn't crippling, and shields will be pretty effective against it.

2. Vermling Scouts are pretty weak: while reasonably speedy, the regular scouts should die to a single attack at this level (and possibly even to weak AoE attacks) and their Attack 1 is unimpressive. The elites can be problematic, as they're harder to one-shot and deal twice the damage. Again, these look like enemies built to swarm you, and again, any source of shield is going to be extremely effective if you do get swarmed.

We HAVE seen the Boss deck before (in scenario 2), so I'm going to take that into consideration in the following comments:
3. The Overseer can be poisoned or immobilized (given his specials, only poison is going to be very useful). If he starts with or gets out a lot of scouts, he hits hard, but the boss deck doesn't have many attack cards versus the special action cards, so that's only a sometimes-threat; if he does pull an attack, that's probably a card loss if there's move than a few scouts in play. His specials synergize, as the scouts he summons boost his attack and also benefit from his "act again" power. Worse, it's an "act immediately using the current card" effect, so the scouts will get two initiatives and act twice with the same harmless or powerful card. Given other decks we've seen, the scouts probably have at least one Attack +1 card, so you have to be prepared for them to get multiple Attack 2/3 actions in a turn.

Preparation indicators:
1. With so many small attacks, having shield is valuable.
2. Ranged attack options are helpful against the hounds.
3. AoE attacks are generally useful.
4. Single-target conditions aren't going to be too helpful given the Overseer has so many immunities, but disarm/stun is helpful against the elites and useful to reduce the number of incoming attacks. Might want to coordinate stun effects with shields as whoever is shielded probably wants the stun help on a different turn, though recall that a high init stun will probably carry over to the next turn.
5. Boss scenarios always provide incentive to bring one (or a few) big hitting loss cards. The Overseer is fairly weak with only 24 hp; a crit on a big attack is going to chew up around half of that in one go. If the group coordinates, they can probably kill the Overseer in two turns.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Tips for dealing with retaliate:
-Retaliate doesn't trigger if the attack kills them, so big single target attacks or attacks against targets softened at range are best.
-Since retaliate resolves after the attack resolves, if you push the monster out of retaliate range with the attack, it will not trigger retaliate.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

DarthRoblox posted:

Well hello hounds, aren't you quite close and mobile. I'm (Splinter) thinking I'd be better off starting in a back row along with Rocky since those hounds can reach anywhere in the room, and have Bullwinkle up front in case they pull a low initiative card. I'm thinking F2/E3/G3 so that up to 2 hounds will focus/attack Bullwinkle if we can't stun/kill them all early.

I am amenable to this, will be ready to PM and post orders around 5 EST

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Given the relatively small size of the scenario, I don't think you should be too worried about using a loss card early on if you think you can do a lot of damage with it.

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 21, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think I'm going to regret asking this question.
How many Wolf and Vermling Scout standees are there in the box?

Anyways, this feels like a short and explosive scenario. My idea would be to pack up a lot of your offensive loss cards (plus some beef for Bullwinkle) and go crazy from the start.

Fake edit: there are 4 large boulders and 5 normal boulders in the next room, as they're not in this one. Peanut gallery demands to see a Falcon Rocky Punch.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Omobono posted:

Anyways, this feels like a short and explosive scenario. My idea would be to pack up a lot of your offensive loss cards (plus some beef for Bullwinkle) and go crazy from the start.

Fake edit: there are 4 large boulders and 5 normal boulders in the next room, as they're not in this one. Peanut gallery demands to see a Falcon Rocky Punch.

6 Hounds and 10 Vermling Scouts.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Omobono posted:

6 hounds, 10 scouts.

Another note about Retaliate: it DOES trigger even if the monster is stunned, so don't rely on that to avoid damage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm a moron. I missed that Rocky has goggles *facepalm*

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Narsham posted:

We HAVE seen the Boss deck before (in scenario 2)

You are right, of course! I'll provide the Boss deck to the players, since every Boss shares the same (and the only thing that changes are their stat cards and their specials). I'll add it to the update as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I hate the boss deck so much.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Reik posted:

6 Hounds and 10 Vermling Scouts.

:stare:
:stonk:
:stonklol:

Keeping the adds in check is clearly a fool's errand (which doesn't mean Rocky shouldn't do their thing, mind you)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm amenable to hiding behind the tank, at least on round 1.

All the obstacles are in the next room apparently, it's going to be some bullshit labyrinth. 15 tiles of rocks. You're right that this looks like it could be a short one. The min-maxer in me is howling at the possible lack of opportunities to farm for XP.

Does Retaliate trigger on non-direct attack damage, like splash damage, if you happen to be standing next to a monster that gets splashed, or does the monster specifically have to be targeted?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There are some bosses which I'm convinced they didn't think through the fact that the bosses have a 75% chance to trigger one of their specials (actually a bit higher since the two refreshes are both specials).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm amenable to hiding behind the tank, at least on round 1.

All the obstacles are in the next room apparently, it's going to be some bullshit labyrinth. 15 tiles of rocks. You're right that this looks like it could be a short one. The min-maxer in me is howling at the possible lack of opportunities to farm for XP.

Does Retaliate trigger on non-direct attack damage, like splash damage, if you happen to be standing next to a monster that gets splashed, or does the monster specifically have to be targeted?

Retaliate only triggers against attacks made from an adjacent hex. Rocky's splash damage is not an attack.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

RETALIATE
A “Retaliate X” bonus ability causes the target to inflict X points of damage on figures who attack it from an adjacent hex for each attack made. A retaliate bonus can also be accompanied by a “Range Y” value, which means that the retaliate damage is applied to any attacker within Y hexes. A retaliate takes effect after the attack that initiated it. If the retaliating figure is killed or exhausted by the attack, then the retaliate does not activate. Multiple retaliate bonuses stack with one another, and retaliate itself is not an attack.

So to answer your question, you wouldn't trigger retaliate for 2 reasons:
1) You are not the figure attacking;
2) "Pure" damage (like the damage on movement the Cragheart does or the splash from Massive Boulder) is not an attack. In fact, if something doesn't include the word "Attack N", it is not an attack (and an action without the "Attack N" keyword is not an attack action).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

That Italian Guy posted:

There's a reason your party alignment is measured in "reputation" rather than anything related to your party's morals. You won't be docked for being a sneering imperialist so long as it benefits the city of Gloomhaven.

That Italian Guy posted:

1) You are not the figure attacking;

Elephant Ambush posted:

Retaliate only triggers against attacks made from an adjacent hex.

I'm not sure that's right, at least as I'm reading it. The splash attack doesn't trigger retaliate because it isn't attack, but this reading would also apply to attacks like Dirt Tornado (AoE from a targeted hex) and Explosive Punch (AoE from an adjacent obstacle), both of which would trigger retaliate if Rocky is adjacent to the target.