Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
OK, so good news is that 3/8 of the bosses actions are currently useless. The bad news is that the other 5/8 are fully powered up and scary. The normal vermlings aren't too bad since that ranged attack can't hurt you (unless you're poisoned? does it work like that?), but the damage from the elites could pile up quick with double actions. Hopefully they don't have too many move+attacks.

I'm going to run up and jump behind the boss and focus him down with my hardest hitting stuff - I should be able to put out a turn of ~8 damage and then 4 or 5 after that, which could be enough to put him down in 2 rounds of attacks if we can get some more chip damage in from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
A 0 value Attack is still an Attack and can damage our party if a positive modifier is drawn ( for example the +2 one of the Scouts have drawn last Round). By the way, their normal attack is "1 melee" for the normal and "2 melee" for the Elite ones! They don't have a default Range value for their attacks.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
oh right, duh

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

DarthRoblox posted:

OK, so good news is that 3/8 of the bosses actions are currently useless. The bad news is that the other 5/8 are fully powered up and scary. The normal vermlings aren't too bad since that ranged attack can't hurt you (unless you're poisoned? does it work like that?), but the damage from the elites could pile up quick with double actions. Hopefully they don't have too many move+attacks.

I'm going to run up and jump behind the boss and focus him down with my hardest hitting stuff - I should be able to put out a turn of ~8 damage and then 4 or 5 after that, which could be enough to put him down in 2 rounds of attacks if we can get some more chip damage in from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I was also planning a jump, and a push, and I'd like to get it off because it should render him mostly nonthreatening. Plus I can hole up in a chokepoint, maybe. I'd recommend something nice and ranged this round so that unless he draws the Range card (which is pretty drat slow) he can't hit anyone on his next initiative. If we're good we can keep him locked down with Immobilises.

In fact his only "dangerous" cards if he's kept immobile and not next to anyone are relatively slow so we should have time to react to whatever.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I was also planning a jump, and a push, and I'd like to get it off because it should render him mostly nonthreatening. Plus I can hole up in a chokepoint, maybe. I'd recommend something nice and ranged this round so that unless he draws the Range card (which is pretty drat slow) he can't hit anyone on his next initiative. If we're good we can keep him locked down with Immobilises.

In fact his only "dangerous" cards if he's kept immobile and not next to anyone are relatively slow so we should have time to react to whatever.

Don't forget there's a big rock there just begging to be punched.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Reik posted:

Don't forget there's a big rock there just begging to be punched.

...Oh for sheer spectacle I kind of have to, don't I?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

MarquiseMindfang posted:

...Oh for sheer spectacle I kind of have to, don't I?

Yes. It's mandatory.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes. It's mandatory.

For the record it was going to be my next-turn move anyway but 4+ targets is way too tempting for a punch debut.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
So you're both planning to jump up on the boss this turn? I was thinking I'd attack some normal vermlings this turn, then do a jump behind him next turn. As long as we can get rid of those summons we should be able to get a multi-man rushdown done.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Car Hater posted:

So you're both planning to jump up on the boss this turn? I was thinking I'd attack some normal vermlings this turn, then do a jump behind him next turn. As long as we can get rid of those summons we should be able to get a multi-man rushdown done.

Well, if my punch goes after the mobs, I'll hit like 5 targets. If I go first I'll hit the 4 that are there currently.

If they go first you'll probably be blocked in, and so attention would be better focused on the ones behind you that aren't going to get exploded on. They're vermling so I can presume they're relatively fast.

There's no reason we can't wipe half of them off the board if we co-ordinate.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I really don't have any multi-target attacks so I think my actions are best spent focusing on the boss - I also can't soak up very many attacks from the vermling horde so I'd rather risk big hits from the boss that I can either go invis to avoid or just burn a card. I can help stun some of the elites when I can't make a bottom attack action.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Well, if my punch goes after the mobs, I'll hit like 5 targets. If I go first I'll hit the 4 that are there currently.

If they go first you'll probably be blocked in, and so attention would be better focused on the ones behind you that aren't going to get exploded on. They're vermling so I can presume they're relatively fast.

There's no reason we can't wipe half of them off the board if we co-ordinate.

So, Vermling Scouts actually use a generic "Scout" deck, similar to how Bandit and Inox Guards both use the Guard deck. Currently there are no other monsters that share the "Scout" deck, but they could be added in expansions.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Diamond Mine Round 6A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

-None!

ROUND REVEAL posted:

That...could have been a lot worse! Plenty of Scouts in melee range next round, though.

A note on the Vermling Scouts card for this Round: since there is no Attack displayed on it, the Scouts will take focus and move as if they had a melee attack. They will not try to maximize LOOT and they will not forego moving closer to their focus with every hex in favor of that. In fact, a piece of rules often mis-remembered is that
"Having abilities other than “Attack” on its ability card does not affect a monster’s movement in any way. It will simply move according to the above rules and then use its other abilities as best as it can." So, in this case, the Scouts will move (the movement being not affected in any way by the LOOT1 on their card) then (after they arrived at the new position) they'll use LOOT to the maximum effect. Once it's the Overseer turn, they'll do it again - so they won't move at all if they are already adjacent to their focus.
That "at best as it can" tricks a lot of people into thinking the monsters will try and maximize LOOT; but it's a generic rule, written probably with HEAL in mind instead (where a monster would move as if it had a melee attack, then HEAL the ally who's lost the most HP in range).

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Bullwinkle (Hand5, Discarded2, Active1, Lost2) is acting at initiative 18 with Eye for an Eye and Skewer.

18. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Car Hater) posted:

code:
"EYE FOR AN EYE (18) [Lvl1]
TOP: Round bonus RETALIATE2, Self - Gain XP1 each time you Retaliate this round.
BOT: HEAL2, Range1 - Generate EARTH"

"SKEWER (35) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK 3, PBAOE (check image), Consume AIR: +1ATK, PIERCE1 - XP1
BOT: MOVE6 - XP1 - LOSS"
Master Splinter (Hand8, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 20 with Scurry and Feedback Loop.

20. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (DarthRoblox) posted:

code:
"SCURRY (20) [Lvl1]
TOP: MOVE3 - ATK1
BOT: LOOT2 - XP1 - LOSS"

"FEEDBACK LOOP (79) [Lvl1]
TOP: Augment - Persistent Bonus On your melee attacks gain SHIELD1 (till end of round) - ATK1 - XP1 (discard when another augment is played)
BOT: MOVE4 - Jump - If you end the movement in the same hex you started in, perform MUDDLE (Target all enemies moved through)."
Rocky (Hand7, Discarded2, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 28 with Explosive Punch and Rock Tunnel.

28. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (MarquiseMindfang) posted:

code:
"EXPLOSIVE PUNCH (28) [Lvl2]
TOP: Destroy one adjacent obstacle -ATK4, Target all enemies adjacent to the destroyed obstacle - 2XP - LOSS
BOT: Move4"

"ROCK TUNNEL (41) [Lvl1]
TOP: Destroy one adjacent obstacle - XP1
BOT: MOVE5, Jump - IMMOBILIZE (Target all enemies moved through) - XP1 - LOSS"
During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 3, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What happens if a scout loots the objective chest?

E: can an enemy loot objective chests?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 3, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Omobono posted:

What happens if a scout loots the objective chest?

E: can an enemy loot objective chests?

Enemies can't loot chests.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Enemies can't loot chests.

Exactly. Monsters can only LOOT coin tokens. As an addendum, every token looted by an enemy is gone forever - it is not dropped on death in addition to the regular one.

This reminds me, I'll have to add summon tokens to Scout 1 and 10 to remember they were summoned and won't drop coin tokens at all when killed.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You guys dodged a huge bullet there. Wow.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
With any luck (read: Bullwinkle killing Scout #1) y'all should be able to get some pretty decent damage on the boss this round.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
That big rock's going boom, so you might as well target something other than the things next to it. Thin the herd a bit.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

That big rock's going boom, so you might as well target something other than the things next to it. Thin the herd a bit.

Wait, the one between the boss and I? I was going to attack vermlings 8 and 6 but if they're hosed anyway I'll use a basic move and put dps on the boss

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Car Hater posted:

Wait, the one between the boss and I? I was going to attack vermlings 8 and 6 but if they're hosed anyway I'll use a basic move and put dps on the boss

Yup. Too tempting of a target. Big boom, 4 targets.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Operation Shock and Awe

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I *think* it should still be safe for me to jump behind the boss if Rocky goes to I3 and Bullwinkle to L2, right? There's only 2 open spots behind there and they'd require 3 move to get to from even the closest vermlings, so they should focus on the rest of the party since they'll be right in the middle with lots of room.

I could pop the invis cloak to be safe, but I don't think it's needed.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

DarthRoblox posted:

I *think* it should still be safe for me to jump behind the boss if Rocky goes to I3 and Bullwinkle to L2, right? There's only 2 open spots behind there and they'd require 3 move to get to from even the closest vermlings, so they should focus on the rest of the party since they'll be right in the middle with lots of room.

I could pop the invis cloak to be safe, but I don't think it's needed.

I think I'm going to move Bullwinkle to I3 to skewer the boss, other than that sounds good. Will you move to the goal chest after that?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'd rather we leave the chest for last so we can cleanup all this loose loot that's going to be lying around.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Ah right, you're going first this round. I could either loot the chest and hit the boss next round, or get 2 hits in. I think we should focus on the boss since he's the real danger here - all it takes is one bad round with the multi-target ranged attack or double-acting scouts with something dangerous and we could be in a lot of trouble quickly. We can grab the chest as part of the mop-up once he's down.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I'm more in it for being able to jump over the boss and attack him, as long as there ends up being an open space next to him for me next turn I'll be good

E; oh right those rocks will exploded

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

You guys dodged a huge bullet there. Wow.

No kidding. 10 Scouts going twice is a terrifying 20 actions in a row. Any move+attack card could have spelled disaster since no one has a constant SHIELD effect (even Bullwinkle only got charges) and 20 attacks, even if they are low damage ones, could cause someone to have to burn through a full deck of cards to prevent lethal damage, once their HPs are low enough.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
This really does seem like one of those maps(/games?) where Sometimes, You Just Lose.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This really does seem like one of those maps(/games?) where Sometimes, You Just Lose.

(It is actually usually possible to react to most bs in this game in a way or another, if you have not already spent all your get-out-of-jail cards. There is still randomness and good/bad rolls, of course, and some scenarios are a bit unbalanced...but normally they are surprisingly tight. I think so far our party has been overperforming and making it look easier than it is for a lot of groups).

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I think actually it wouldn't have been *that* bad? Bullwinkle would've taken 6 attacks, which is a lot to be fair, but Rocky and Splinter are at a choke point so it would've been just 2 attacks (as long as they weren't ranged or jump)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Depending on your party composition, you might be able to just wear out the vermling scouts by drawing them back in to the front room.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I think the problem becomes endurance though, since the boss summons .75 vermlings (3 hp's worth) on average per turn. That's more than a turn of basic attacks, so unless you manage to really cleave through the initial swarm efficiently you could wind up adding quite a few rounds as the summons keep piling up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DarthRoblox posted:

I think actually it wouldn't have been *that* bad? Bullwinkle would've taken 6 attacks, which is a lot to be fair, but Rocky and Splinter are at a choke point so it would've been just 2 attacks (as long as they weren't ranged or jump)

We've seen that the scouts have a ranged 2-target attack. If they drew that along with the bosses whip move, that would be an effective 40 attacks in a row, which could very easily chew through a party without any persistent damage reduction.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I have not received a PM with orders from one of our players; they have provided detailed decision itt, so I'll wait a bit more and then follow those, in case. Please remember to finalize your orders by PM :)

E. got it!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 4, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Diamond Mine Round 6B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- None!

18. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Car Hater) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Eye for an Eye (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves 2 to I3.
- Bullwinkle uses Skewer (top)! Consumes AIR. Gains 1XP.
Attacks Vermling Scout 1 for 3 (4base, -1mod, PIERCE1) damage!
Vermling Scout 1 is killed!.
Attacks Merciless Overseer (BOSS) for 5 (4base, +1mod, PIERCE1) damage!
Merciless Overseer (BOSS) is at 16 HP.

This Scenario really is a russian roulette. Ignoring the Scouts entirely could backfire spectacularly! But the clock is ticking and every Round the Boss could pull something disastrous out of his hat (hood?). Punching him for 5 is a good way to reduce the amount of rounds in the chamber :downsrim:

20. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (DarthRoblox) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves 3 to H3. Attacks Vermling Scout 9(E) for 4 (1base, +1mod +2bonus) damage!
Vermling Scout 9(E) is at 1 HP.
- Master Splinter uses Feedback Loop (bot)! Jumps 4 to L1
Master Splinter executes end of turn looting! Gains 1 coin token(s).

Splinter is now in a prime position to end the Scenario. She could also get punched in the face for a lot, though!

28. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (MarquiseMindfang) posted:

- Rocky uses Rock Tunnel (bot)! Jumps 3 to J3. Gains 1XP. LOSS card!*
- Rocky uses Explosive Punch (top)! Activates Eagle-eye Goggles! Gains 2XP. LOSS card!

Attacks Merciless Overseer (BOSS) with ADVANTAGE for 4 (4base, +0/NULL mod) damage!
Merciless Overseer (BOSS) is at 12 HP.
Attacks Vermling Scout 8 with ADVANTAGE for 6 (4base, +2/+1mod) damage!
Vermling Scout 8 is killed!.
Attacks Vermling Scout 6 with ADVANTAGE for 5 (4base, +1/+1mod) damage!
Vermling Scout 6 is killed!.

Attack modifier distribution was a bit unfortunate, but it was still a pretty good Explosive Punch!
* Unfortunately both locations in MarquiseMindfang's orders where already taken by Bullwinkle and Master Splinter. This also means that the bottom of Rock Tunnel is a bit wasted; in real play, you would be able to adapt on the fly, but in asynchronous play we have to do with contingencies. Since all our players are acting BEFORE the enemies, and since this will only affect Rocky, I would allow MarquiseMindfang to choose one of the following outcomes:
- Activate Boots and try to immobilize something; (this would change the outcome of the Vermlings movements, so we won't be able to do so).
- Activate Boots and use the bottom of Rock Tunnel as a generic MOVE2 instead.
- Keep things as they are.
Let me know which one you'd prefer!

35. Vermling Scout 3(E), 4(E), 5(E), 9(E), 10(Es), 1, 2, 7 posted:

- Vermling Scout 3(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Jumps 2 to H2.
- Vermling Scout 4(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Jumps 4 to H3.
- Vermling Scout 5(E) focuses Bullwinkle! Jumps 4 to J2.
- Vermling Scout 9(E) focuses Bullwinkle! No action taken!
- Vermling Scout 10(Es) focuses Bullwinkle! Jumps 2 to K3.
- Vermling Scout 2 focuses Rocky! Jumps 4 to F3.
- Vermling Scout 7 focuses Rocky! Jumps 2 to L3. LOOTS1 and destroys coin token in M3!

An army of diminutive creatures, prancing around instead of working, commanded by a cruel overseer. I wonder if it is Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp, under that hood.

73. Merciless Overseer (BOSS) posted:

- Merciless Overseer (BOSS) focuses Master Splinter! All Vermling Scouts act again!
- Vermling Scout 2 focuses Rocky! Jumps 2 to I4.
- All other Scouts take no action!

All this lollygagging makes you really forget that we are still killing (enslaved this time!) natives in the name of profit, doesn't it?

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- None

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 8, 2019

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Oh this is _perfect_

Laying more damage on the boss and vermlings 3 and 5

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Vermling mosh pit!

Wall of Death!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Vermling mosh pit!

Wall of Death!

I wish I had brought Wall of Death Doom :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You win or lose next turn. To be fair though, 12 HP should go down to Master Splinter alone, and she* still has her cloak and another invisibility to loot the chest unmolested.

*mindthief was a she or am I misremembering?
On the same line, Bullwinkle is an he and Rocky a they, right?