Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Italian Guy I think you missed an xp for Rocky on the top of Crater.

Ops! It got assigned to Rocky in the Helper, but I forgot to write it down in the update itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

So are we going through the door this turn? If so I can go really slow and prep a big AOE.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

So are we going through the door this turn? If so I can go really slow and prep a big AOE.

I would like to keep the momentum going yes.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Sounds good. I'll get ready for the breach then.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I would love to scoop up the coins, but I'm also fine with moving forward.

Don't worry about healing me, I can handle that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Orders in.

Gonna run to the door tile and ranged attack something.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Orders in. I'm gonna do my best to AOE as many enemies for moderate damage as possible.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm running into the room and hopefully shanking something.

Then I'm probably going Invisible.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Crypt of the Damned 3A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Minor Stamina Potion! Recovers Spare Dagger and Eye for an Eye.

ROUND REVEAL posted:

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand6, Discarded3, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 11 with Empathetic Assault and Scurry.

11. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SomeNumbers) posted:

code:
"EMPATHETIC ASSAULT (11) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK4, Range4 - DISARM - Generate ICE - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: MOVE2 - HEAL2 self"

"SCURRY (20) [Lvl1]
TOP: MOVE3 - ATK1
BOT: LOOT2 - XP1 - LOSS"
Bullwinkle (Hand8, Discarded1, Active1, Lost0) is acting at initiative 27 with Spare Dagger and Fatal Advance.

27. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Elephant Ambush) posted:

code:
"SPARE DAGGER (27) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, Range3 - XP1
BOT: ATK2"

"FATAL ADVANCE (40) [Lvl2]
TOP: Kill one adjacent normal enemy - 2XP - LOSS
BOT: Move 4"
Rocky (Hand9, Discarded2, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 82 with Dirt Tornado and Heaving Swing.

82. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Zurai) posted:

code:
"DIRT TORNADO (82) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK1, Range2, AOE (check image), Consume EARTH:+1ATK, XP1 
- MUDDLE all allies and enemies in the targeted area.
BOT: Move 3"

"HEAVING SWING (57) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK3 - PUSH1 - You may push the target into hexes containing obstacles. In each case, destroy the obstacle, the target suffers 2 damage and you gain XP1.
BOT: Round bonus Add +1ATK to all your ranged attacks this round. "

Crypt of the Damned 3B (Start)

11. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SomeNumbers) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Empathetic Assault (bot)! Moves2 to door hex HEAL2, Self.
Master Splinter is at 6 HP.

- Bandit Archers 1, 2, 3 revealed!
- Cultists 1, 2, 5 revealed!

Please note that:
A) An Attack 0 is still an attack! It could draw a positive modifier and inflict actual damage.
B) Effects of death occur immediately after the figure dies, so not even a Stun will prevent the "on death" attack from the Cultists.
C) Archers are still assholes.
Master Splinter will be able to end her turn, after that we'll go back to the Cultist and from there on we'll resume with the normal initiative.

Active Players you can now send Step B orders knowing what to expect :)

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 18, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Gonna use my boots to run to B7 and dagger the closest cultist.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

It'll explode if you kill it :ohdear:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

That Italian Guy posted:

It'll explode if you kill it :ohdear:

Yes?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Good answer :black101:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I don't know if it will come up, but if the Cultist is stunned at the start of the turn they draw that explode upon death action, I don't think they will explode on death if you kill them because they don't perform any actions on their card. They will blow up if you stun them afterwards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

So you're saying I should be next to that Cultist?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh wait, this is fine.

I can run up, shank an Archer, go Invisible and then the Cultist will move towards Rocky and thus, away from me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Note that being invisible prevents the Cultist from exploding on you. The explosion is an attack, and invisibility prevents you from being targeted (which an attack requires).

Unfortunately this layout and monster AI card draw really hosed up my turn.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Zurai posted:

Note that being invisible prevents the Cultist from exploding on you. The explosion is an attack, and invisibility prevents you from being targeted (which an attack requires).

I don't think that's right. The explosion isn't a targeted attack. It attacks all adjacent hexes and if an enemy exists on any of those hexes an attack card is flipped. It doesn't require focus because it's a triggered reaction that happens outside its normal turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I'm with EA, I'm pretty sure this is wrong.

Either way, if the cultist moves away from me, I should be okay.

And if not, one of you can heal me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't think that's right. The explosion isn't a targeted attack. It attacks all adjacent hexes and if an enemy exists on any of those hexes an attack card is flipped. It doesn't require focus because it's a triggered reaction that happens outside its normal turn.

It has nothing to do with focus. Attacks require the ability to target. Only true damage like from Massive Boulder or Rumbling Advance EDIT: And retaliate bypasses invisibility. If a modifier card needs to be flipped, it won't work on an invisible creature.

Look at it this way: the cultist just has an on-death melee range AOE attack. If the cultist were invisible, I would not be able to hit it with my Dirt Tornado even if I were able to lay a valid AOE template over it. It's the exact same thing for invisible players. The death attack is clearly intended to be some kind of suicide bomb thing but mechanically it is no different from any other AOE attack and AOE attacks do not get to ignore invis.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 18, 2019

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Backing up Zurai on this. If you're invisible, you cannot be targeted by any attack. While the cultist's death attack is fluffed as an explosion, it is really just targeting all enemies within the red hexes on the diagram. Therefore, if you can't be targeted, you can't be hit

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

If an action has the word "attack," or the word "focus" in it, it will not affect invisible players. It's in the FAQ, I can pull up a quote in a bit

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Zack Ater posted:

If an action has the word "attack," or the word "focus" in it, it will not affect invisible players. It's in the FAQ, I can pull up a quote in a bit

I gotchu

FAQ posted:

Monsters can't focus on invisible characters, move through them (unless flying or jumping), or target them with any attacks or other targeted abilities (an ability like "CURSE, target all enemies within range," for instance, wouldn't affect the invisible character even if he/she were in range).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

Backing up Zurai on this. If you're invisible, you cannot be targeted by any attack. While the cultist's death attack is fluffed as an explosion, it is really just targeting all enemies within the red hexes on the diagram. Therefore, if you can't be targeted, you can't be hit

This is correct. Invisible monsters and characters can still be hit by certain effects, but AoE attacks are not in that subset. For example, an ability that says "do X to an adjacent enemy" or "all adjacent enemies" without the Attack keyword will still trigger.

A good rule of thumb is the modifier deck. Anything that would make you flip a card from the modifier deck won't touch someone who is invisible. So Rocky can't attack an invisible foe with Massive Boulder, which is an attack that pulls from its modifier deck, but it can hit invisible foes with the splash damage because that isn't an attack, just direct damage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Thanks for setting me straight :tipshat:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Confirming that, while invisible, you cannot be targeted and are as such immune to attacks (but not from non targeted damage abilities like Rocky's splash damage).

Gloomhaven's abilities managed to create a very vivid image fluff wise but these sometimes clashes with the rules... So for example if an enemy launches an area of effect attack that is literally a toxic cloud of poisonous gas, you would be immune to it while invisible even if you're inside the template.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 18, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, so I was safe regardless.

Cool.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, invisibility is thiiiiiiiis close to invincibility for player characters in Gloomhaven.

Anyway, if Splinter and Bullwinkle can kill that frontmost Cultist, I will be able to get off a wicked Dirt Tornado. If they can't, I'll have problems.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zurai posted:

Yeah, invisibility is thiiiiiiiis close to invincibility for player characters in Gloomhaven.

Anyway, if Splinter and Bullwinkle can kill that frontmost Cultist, I will be able to get off a wicked Dirt Tornado. If they can't, I'll have problems.

I can help with that, but wouldn't we get caught in the dirt?

TIG, pause the orders I sent in until we figure this out, please!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wait, how does killing the Cultist help? If the Brute ends up on B7, the Archers aren't moving anywhere, right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, how does killing the Cultist help? If the Brute ends up on B7, the Archers aren't moving anywhere, right?

Nevermind, I didn't realize Bullwinkle was going to B7, I missed that somehow. That actually works out perfectly for me as long as you leave A6 open. I'll be able to hit all 5 back line enemies with an advantaged, earth-consuming Dirt Tornado. As long as you're not in hex B4, we'll all be free of the dirt.

I'm planning to move to A6 with the bottom of Heaving Swing as a default move, then use the Eagle-Eye Goggles and Dirt Tornado all three archers and Cultists 1 and 2 who are going to conveniently move up towards us before my turn. I would have liked to get the +1 damage from Heaving Swing but this should still work out splendidly.

EDIT: Orders in. I shouldn't be able to kill anything this turn but they're going to have a really unpleasant next turn and unless the cards really disfavor me I should be able to finish most of them off myself next turn.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 18, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay, I was planning on moving to B4, but I'll move to A5 and hit Archer 1 instead.

Should I hit an Archer or the Cultist?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Whichever you think is best. There's a good chance that whatever you hit will die to either me or Bullwinkle if you don't kill it yourself (if you go for the Cultist, I advise using your Cloak before attacking just in case you draw a crit or something).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Zurai posted:

Whichever you think is best. There's a good chance that whatever you hit will die to either me or Bullwinkle if you don't kill it yourself (if you go for the Cultist, I advise using your Cloak before attacking just in case you draw a crit or something).

If Splinter happens to kill the Cultist, it will not explode. The Cultist won't take its turn until Splinter finishes his - even though the monster has faster initiative, it doesn't act until the player that revealed it completes their turn. And since it hasn't acted yet, it hasn't activated its on-death trigger.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, right, good catch. Carry on then!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm hitting a Cultist. We can mop up next turn.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Orders in. EXPLOSIONS?!?!?!?! :torgue:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Crypt of the Damned 3B End

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- None!

20. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Some Numbers) posted:

Master Splinter activates Cloak of Invisibility! Gains INVISIBLE.
- Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves2 to A5 Attacks Archer 1 for 3 (1base, +0mod +2bonus) damage!
Archer 1 is at 2 HP

I think there was a typo in your orders, Some Numbers? The last activity itt suggest you'd like to shank a Cultist, but your order has Archer 1 instead of Cultist 1 as the target. That would completely block Rocky's plan (rockblock?) though, as it would make Bullwinkle's Spare Dagger very unlikely to kill Cultist 5. I've tried to use the intent more than the orders as written in this case, since the "I will hit a Cultist" comment is 1h later than your orders ...hope I did right.

*10. Cultists posted:

- Cultist 1 focuses Rocky! Moves 1 to A3.
- Cultist 2 focuses Rocky! Moves 1 to C3.
- Cultist 5 focuses Rocky! Moves 1 to A6.

27. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Elephant Ambush) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Fatal Advance (bot)! Activates Boots of Striding! Moves6 to B7.
- Bullwinkle uses Spare Dagger (top)! Attacks Cultist 5 for 2 (3base, -1mod) damage! Gains 1XP.
Cultist 5 is killed! No Target for "on death" attack!

Spare dagger is such a good card :3:

29. Bandit Archers posted:

- Bandit Archer 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Attacks Bullwinkle for 0 (1base, -1mod) damage!
- Bandit Archer 2 focuses Bullwinkle! Attacks Bullwinkle for 0 (1base, +0mod, SHIELD1) damage!
Warding Strength's 4th trigger! Gains 1XP.
- Bandit Archer 3 focuses Bullwinkle! Attacks Bullwinkle for 0 (1base, -1mod) damage!
Bullwinkle is at 9 HP and is IMMOBILIZED!

I've noticed I had short-changed Bullwinkle of 1XP, since he should have 4 by now (2 from Spare Daggers and 2 from Warding Strength). Also Elephant Ambush, let me know if you'd prefer this single damage to be absorbed by your Chainmail instead! Thought you'd probably lose one charge from both your item and your card, but you got lucky with the modifiers.

Also, this is gonna be good :unsmigghh:

82. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Zurai) posted:

- Rocky uses Heaving Swing (bot)! Moves2 to A6
- Rocky uses Dirt Tornado (top)! Consumes EARTH. Gains 1XP. Activates Eagle-Eye Goggles! Targets B4 with the bottom hex of the template!
Attacks Bandit Archer 1 with ADVANTAGE for 2 (2base, +0/-1mod,) damage!
Bandit Archer 1 is at 3 HP and is MUDDLED!
Attacks Bandit Archer 3 with ADVANTAGE for 4 (2base, x2BLESS/-1mod) damage!
Bandit Archer 3 is at 1 HP and is MUDDLED! BLESS card removed from the deck!
Attacks Bandit Archer 2 with ADVANTAGE for 3 (2base, +1/NULLmod) damage!
Bandit Archer 1 is at 2 HP and is MUDDLED!
Attacks Cultist 1 with ADVANTAGE for 4 (2base, x2BLESS/+1mod) damage!
Cultist 1 is at 1 HP and is MUDDLED! BLESS card removed from the deck!
Attacks Cultist 2 with ADVANTAGE for 4 (2base, +2/+1mod) damage!
Cultist 2 is at 1 HP and is MUDDLED!
Rocky uses Minor Stamina Potion, recovers Massive Boulder and Rumbling Advance.
Rocky executes end of turn looting! Gains 1 coin token(s).

:unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:
Just to be clear, this room could be a total clusterfuck - especially since we haven't seen the most annoying , multi-copy card in the Cultists deck yet. This...doesn't look too bad :v: Also that was an incredibly good spread on those attack modifiers!

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- Rocky's deck is shuffled!

Well...that was satisfying to watch. As anticipated, I'll be leaving for a long weekend in the countryside and I won't be back before Monday evening GMT, so Updates will resume normally from Tuesday on (I may be able to sneak in an update on Monday evening, if the orders are already in by then, but it's not guaranteed). Have a good weekend everyone!

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST NEXT MONDAY:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 19, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That Italian Guy posted:

Just to be clear, this room could be a total clusterfuck - especially since we haven't seen the most annoying , multi-copy card in the Cultists deck yet. This...doesn't look too bad :v: Also that was an incredibly good spread on those attack modifiers!

Summon Chtulhu? Please tell me it's summon Chtulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

Summon Chtulhu? Please tell me it's summon Chtulhu.
:ssh:

Not quite, but close.