Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Move 4 in a straight line is pretty hard to pull off consistently though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Some Numbers posted:

People are also missing that Hook and Chain into Balanced Measure is Move 4/Attack 4/Attack 4.

Which is really really good.

Boots make it even better!

Yeah this.

gently caress yeah.

:black101:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Reik posted:

Move 4 in a straight line is pretty hard to pull off consistently though.

Like turn to turn yeah duh, but if you’re planning a little ahead with rests and you know you have those cards it’s a great combo to know you have in your pocket.

Also while the top doesn’t look great in a vacuum, it really shines with other cards. Plus that ranged pull is really helpful to both go all Scorpion “Get over here!”/set off traps, because the Brute really doesn’t have ranged attacks so having those as an option helps a lot.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
City Management VI, Update 1
First thing first, let's see what we want to pick for our Cragheart and Brute advancements:

Advancements so far posted:

- Rocky: Clear the Way and Blunt Force are currently tied, so we'll keep the vote going! If you are changing your vote, please let me know and bold the choice! The Perks selection was crystal clear instead: Rocky is getting Replace a -1 with a +1 and Ignore negative item effects.
- Bullwinkle: Hook and Chain narrowly wins over Brute Force; we're also adding a +3 to our Brute's attack modifiers deck :black101:
- Master Splinter is Replacing -2 with +0.
We are generous people.

City Event 09, resolution posted:

Effect: +1 Prosperity!
Resolution A effect gets more powerful if our reputation is particularly nasty, since with -9 or worse we would be considered full fledged criminals, and have access to fences and all that! 15xC gold is not a bad reward, but +1 Prosperity is probably better, especially right now.
But we've picked B and we have reached Prosperity Level 3!

This has 2 main effects at the moment:
1) When Gloomhaven's Prosperity goes up, any character with a level lower than the prosperity level may immediately advance their level to match. This means Master Splinter can immediately be promoted to Level 3, gaining a Card and a Perk!

2) We get access to Prosperity 3 items! They have also been added to the Market Pool sheet.

Let's discuss where our party should head to next, even if we don't need to leave immediately...
NOTE: we only know the basic creature and tiles composition for a Scenario at first; if we choose to pick one, I'll provide additional details (such as the map layout, creatures stat cards - and ability deck if we've met them before - and always active Scenario Effects).

Available Scenario Locations posted:

- We've found the location of the Clockwork Cove in a treasure chest in Scenario 1. As the name implies, we would face constructs, traps and puzzles. This is a Side Scenario. This is what we can expect from the Scenario:

- We may want to investigate these sightings of a Dragon-like creature on the ridges west of the City and explore the Mountain Pass. If we do so, we'll run into some kind of Elemental Demons and kill some more Inox.

- Can't have a game without a sewer level and Gloomhaven does't deviate from that rule! If we decide to explored the Abandoned Sewers underneath Gloomhaven, we'll run into a lot of "water" (sure) and we'll fight Oozes and other horrible things. Purple colored tiles are considered Difficult Terrain, and moving through each hex of it without Jumping or Flying will cost 2 Movement points instead of one.

- The coin we've got as a payment from the Savvas merchant shows the way to something called The Temple of the Eclipse. Plenty of weird stuff over there, for sure! Also it is a BOSS scenario, so if we manage to complete that successfully Rocky will be satisfied with its adventures and retire, spending its days drinking rock based cocktails and chasing young lads away from his ornamental zen garden or something. This is a Side Scenario.

- Exploring the previous Crypt, we've found another location where the Cult may take shelter. If we are brave enough, we can venture into the Ruinous Crypt, where we'll face more Cultists, more Skellingtons and a cured selection of elemental Demons!

- We have been helping Jekserah against the Cult, but who's to say we can't spread out our love to every single necromancer in the land? If we want to gather favour with the Cult, we can try to clear up the Decaying Crypt from the masterless undead that currently reside there.

- As suggested, we could also try any Scenario we've unlocked (including ones we've already faced) in Casual Mode. Players can still gain experience and money, loot treasure tiles, complete battle goals, and make progress toward completing their personal quests (for example, Rocky could retire if we face a BOSS Scenario in Casual mode and we win), but any story text or rewards listed at the end of the scenario are disregarded. Contrary to normal game play, we'll encounter City/Road events in Casual mode as well - to make things easier to manage and display more content. If we pick Casual Mode I'll add something to spice it up - most likely we'll get to see some of the other unlocked characters for a "Rocky and Friends VS an old Boss" adventure.
Wherever we're going, we'll have to get on the Road to get there!

Road Event 25 posted:

I have no idea why they wouldn't like us! What do we do?

PLEASE KEEP VOTING FOR THE FOLLOWING THINGS (and please remember to bold your choices:
- MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario 11!
- Master Splinter's extra PERK and CARD. (please vote again if you had selected the one that has already won!)
- Rocky's card between Clear the Way and Blunt Force (please only vote if you haven't done so already; if you want to change your vote, make sure to specify that!)
- Money matters: do we want to buy/sell something with anyone? Do we want to donate?
- Our Next Destination.
- Road Event outcome (option A or B).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 9, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That's another city event, not a road event.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

dwarf74 posted:

That's another city event, not a road event.

Something something, all the Roads lead to Gloomhaven :v:

Thanks, fixed!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
A. Make our Inox talk to their Inox.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I forgot to actually vote for Clear the Way

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

That Italian Guy posted:

PLEASE KEEP VOTING FOR THE FOLLOWING THINGS (and please remember to bold your choices:
- MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario 11!
- Master Splinter's extra PERK and CARD. (please vote again if you had selected the one that has already won!)
- Rocky's card between Clear the Way and Blunt Force (please only vote if you haven't done so already; if you want to change your vote, make sure to specify that!)
- Money matters: do we want to buy/sell something with anyone? Do we want to donate?
- Our Next Destination.
- Road Event outcome (option A or B).

Master Splinter card: Brain Leech

Master Splinter perk: Remove 2 -1s

Rocky should buy Chainmail

Everyone should donate

Next Destination: Mountain Pass (16)

Road Event: Option A

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Card: Brain Leech. The bottom of this card is really really good with Mind's Weakness and the top is a very powerful loss effect.
Perk: Remove two -1s. Consistency.
Money: Rocky should get Chainmail and Bullwinkle needs a Moon Earring.
Destination: Ruinous Crypt (5)
Road Event: :black101:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Master Splinter card: Brain Leech

Master Splinter perk: Remove 2 -1s

Rocky should buy Chainmail

Splinter should Donate

Next Destination: Ruinous Crypt (5)

Road Event: Option A

We also need to buy our second bag items. A Moon Earring for Bullwinkle seems pretty strong.

Does Rocky have enough gold to buy another bag item after Chainmail? If so, a minor power potion would be good.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 9, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I agree that Splinter should take Brain Leech, though I wish the Strengthen were tied to a move instead of an attack. In order to use it effectively, the Mindthief has to stand still for a turn (unless used with Scurry) and stay next to a monster. For a character that squishy, that can be a big risk.

Of course you can still apply the Strengthen without attacking, but then you're probably doing a ranged attack that turn, which are usually weaker than melee.

It's still the best option available, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Phelddagrif posted:

I agree that Splinter should take Brain Leech, though I wish the Strengthen were tied to a move instead of an attack. In order to use it effectively, the Mindthief has to stand still for a turn (unless used with Scurry) and stay next to a monster. For a character that squishy, that can be a big risk.

Of course you can still apply the Strengthen without attacking, but then you're probably doing a ranged attack that turn, which are usually weaker than melee.

It's still the best option available, though.

Run up and shank something, go invisible and then do two attacks the next turn, one of which is Strengthened.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I've found something like this is usually the best way to use the bottom of Brain Leech, but it can also be useful just for strengthen with a loss top or multi-target top we may get later.

Turn 1: Bottom of Empathetic Assault enhanced with Strengthen, Attack with top action
Turn 2: Scurry Top, Brain Leech Bottom to extend strengthen to turn 3

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Oh snap I agree that Bullwinkle should buy a Moon Earring.

I also forgot how strong the Prosperity 3 item set is.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh snap I agree that Bullwinkle should buy a Moon Earring.

I also forgot how strong the Prosperity 3 item set is.
Yeah. Except the greaves, lol

The Long Spear is one of the best in slot items, imo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Long Spear's fine, but the Brute already has Skewer.

There are much better one and two handed weapons that can get unlocked.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think a Long Spear for Splinter wouldn't be a bad idea. Don't really have any multi-target options right now.

Reik fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 9, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Well Splinter has a Battle-axe, so she won't be able to carry both if the Spear is 2h.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Well Splinter has a Battle-axe, so she won't be able to carry both if the Spear is 2h.

Oh, I forgot she already had that. Nevermind. Maybe a healing potion then?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
If Splinter is going to buy anything I would vote selling Necklace of Teeth and buying an Empowering Talisman.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
She's getting pretty good value out of that necklace, and even a minor healing potion would be useful and not that costly.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Healing potions are bad though.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Are they? They're no stamina potion but they seem alright.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

They're probably the weakest potion. Power potions add a lot of damage when used correctly, mana potions are super useful, stamina potions are borderline broken. Healing potions just let you maybe survive one more hit before you have to start tossing cards (or maybe not depending on how the random numbers go), or let you fix poison/wound once. Once you have an excess of money and a spare bag slot, having a minor healing potion available to fix road event-caused poison is nice, but mostly the goal is to not get hit rather than to take damage and then heal it.

Another way to look at it is that generally speaking the other three potions are proactive, while the healing potion is reactive. Power, Mana, and Stamina potions are used to power up your engine, while Healing potions are used to fix the damage from one time you got hit.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Another way to look at it is that only the last point of HP actually matters. If you would never go to 0 HP, then a health potiom doesn't matter, and its pretty easy to for a group with decent tactical skills to almost never take enough damage to need the small amount of healing potions give.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Think of it this way: an Empowering Talisman is essentially a second stamina potion. Is that better or worse than a healing potion?

I would say it's way better.

Yeah you could use the Talisman on the healing potion but again, is that generally better or worse than getting a second stamina potion in most situations?

Personally I'll take a second stamina potion every time. Especially after we unlock enhancements.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I'll leave the vote opened for one more day since
A) We only have 3 votes for the next destination :v:
B) I haven't heard back from any of the players :v: I'll reach out to the subs tomorrow if needed be.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'd be down with getting the empowering talisman. Given the personal quest we've got with splinter, I imagine it'll be a while before retirement, so we can invest for the long haul. Do we not have any items that refresh on a long rest on Splinter? Seems like a good idea to keep it that way and just always short rest.

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 10, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

That Italian Guy posted:

I'll leave the vote opened for one more day since
A) We only have 3 votes for the next destination :v:
Abandoned Sewers :getin:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why would you do this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Reik posted:

Why would you do this.
It's actually one of the least annoying ones with oozes, and they're less scary at 1st/2nd. :)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think we should try to retire characters as soon as possible in the LP, just due to how long each scenario takes and being able to get to as much of the content as we can. If we ever do want to come back and play another Cragheart we want to unlock enhancements before we retire Rocky though so we can throw a sticker or two on some cards for the next go around, so getting to enhancements and then playing a scenario with a boss is what I'd recommend.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, gently caress it, this, gotta get the sewer level out of the way sometime.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Better now than when my turn comes around again

:smithicide:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
It's true. The sooner you do that scenario the less painful it is.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reaching out to the subs since I've heard nothing from the 3 players I've sent PM to so far :v:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

Reaching out to the subs since I've heard nothing from the 3 players I've sent PM to so far :v:

You may want to rethink your IM, given that it says "communicate if you are unavailable" and not "communicate if you are available."

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Narsham posted:

You may want to rethink your IM, given that it says "communicate if you are unavailable" and not "communicate if you are available."

I'm almost positive this had no impact this case, but fair point :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

City Management VI, Update 2 and Scenario 18 Preamble

Votes outcome posted:

- MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario 4: Rocky as played by Zurai :agesilaus:
- Rocky's Card: Clear the Way wins out!
- Master Splinter's Card: Brain Leech is pretty much uncontested.
- Master Splinter perk: Remove 2 -1s.

Money Matters posted:

- Rocky has bought a Chainmail to complement its new perk!
- Bullwinkle got himself a fancy Moon Earring.
- Master Splinter has bough an Empowering Talisman (we can always sell the Necklace of Teeth afterwards if we need the money).
- Master Splinter is flooded with cash so she will donate 10G!
Updated Sheets:

Road Event 25, resolution posted:

Effect: No Effect! This card is put at the bottom of the Road Events deck.
We were able to get through since we have an Inox in our party. We have also discovered that the Lightning Bolt class is an Inox as well, apparently.
Let's examine our next destination: Scenario 18 - Abandoned Sewers

Scenario 18 - Abandoned Sewers - Location posted:

Beneath the City of Gloomhaven, the Abandoned Sewers await. Sewer Level!

Scenario 18 - Abandoned Sewers - Features posted:

These are the details we know about Scenario 18 before starting it:
Links to: Gloomhaven.
Requirements: None.
Goal: Kill all enemies.
Tiles in the Scenario:

Map Layout:

Scenario 18 - Abandoned Sewers - Creatures posted:

These are the stats for this Scenario's creatures:

These are the ability decks for the creatures we've already faced in battle before.
NOTE: these are the "in the box" cards. We normally use the app ones, that automatically make the necessary calculations for us; the various "+1", "-1", etc are to be applied to the base value for that stat on the monster card. So if the base value is "Attack 4", an "Attack -1" ability card would mean that, for that round, the monster has an Attack value of 3.
Vermling Scouts:

NOTE: certain monster archetypes share a common deck. The combination of unique stat cards and shared ability decks allows the game to feel even larger than it already is!

Scenario 18 - Abandoned Sewers - Introduction posted:

From the center of the Silent Bridge, a city guard points you to a grating underneath the west side. “That’s the best way into that hellhole. Good luck.”
It takes a bit of climbing, but you eventually make your way down to the grate, which has been twisted and broken over the many years. You light a torch and step inside, following a narrow path up a slight incline, avoiding the stream of brown liquid running in the opposite direction. After a few minutes, the path opens up into a series of branching passageways.
You start to look around, deciding on which way to go, when hissing sounds echo through the stonework toward you. You hold fast to your weapons, straining to see multiple slithering shapes approach.
Scenario Special Rules
- None!

Players spaw tiles are marked with a STRENGTHEN token.
SalTheBard, Zulily Zoetrope and Narsham please provide:
- Your hand selection for this Scenario (please specify what you are removing and what you are adding, if you change something);
- Pick one of the Battle Goals provided in the PM;
- Your starting location. You can freely discuss this itt.

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)