Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Blech. Le sigh. It's ok. It's what U get for short resting instead of long resting.

How do we want to handle this door? Who is opening it?

Given that Bullwinkle is long resting next turn, I do not recommend opening it this turn. Rocky is running low on cards, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I'd hold off on opening the door for a round or two. We don't really want whatever's in there to draw any more action cards than strictly necessary.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Waiting for orders from one player to release the update!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I have yet to receive orders from Sal...I guess they must be out for the weekend or something. We will resume the updates asap.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm so sorry. Please give me a few. I had a thing that turned into an 18 hour thing

EDIT:

Move submitted!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 26, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That is, indeed, a long thing! Speaking of long things, I'll be taking my first long vacation in years this week, so I'll be gone two weeks, from Friday to the 14th of June - just as a headsup, as I won't be able to update during that period :)

Abandoned Sewers, Round 5A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- The Ooze has been pushed to G6!
- Master Splinter takes a Short Rest! Recovers all the discarded cards, loses Gnawing Horde rerolled for 1HP, loses Scurry.

ROUND REVEAL posted:

Please remember that the Ooze is actually in G6!

Well, this is the reason why Oozes are so hated...and why it's a good idea to face them at lower levels, where their HP total is low to begin with! Of course they have SHIELD, POISON, ranged attacks and they HEAL too...so yeah Oozes are the worst :v: In this case specifically, though, the Ooze would kill itself before being able to split up, since it only has 1HP remaining and the order of activation is top > bottom.

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand8, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 8 with Perverse Edge and Frigid Apparition.

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SalTheBard) posted:

code:
"PERVERSE EDGE (08) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3 - Add +2ATK and gain XP1 for each negative condition on the target - LOSS
BOT: ATK1, Range2 - STUN - Generate ICE - XP1"

"FRIGID APPARITION (29) [LvlX]
TOP: ATK3 - Consume ICE: STUN, XP1
BOT: MOVE4 - STUN (Target one adjacent enemy) - XP1 - LOSS"
Bullwinkle (Hand4, Discarded6, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 42 with Hook and Chain and Sweeping Blow.

42. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Narsham) posted:

code:
"HOOK AND CHAIN (42) [Lvl3]
TOP: ATK3, Range3, PULL2.
BOT: MOVE4 - If the movement was in a straight line, ATK X, where X is the number of hexes you moved with this action."

"SWEEPING BLOW (64) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2, PBAOE (check image)
BOT: MOVE3 - PUSH1 (Target all adjacent enemies)"
Rocky (Hand5, Discarded6, Active0, Lost0) is acting at initiative 77 with Backup Ammunition and Nature's Lift.

77. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Zulily Zoetrope) posted:

code:
"BACKUP AMMUNITION (77) [Lvl1]
TOP: Persistent Bonus On your next four ranged Attack actions, gain ADD TARGET - Gain XP1 each trigger - LOSS
BOT: MOVE3"

"NATURE'S LIFT (64) [Lvlx]
TOP: HEAL2, Range3, Target2
BOT: Persistent Bonus On your next six ranged Attack actions when AIR is Strong or Waning, Consume AIR to add +2Range - Gain XP1 on 1st, 3rd and 5th trigger - LOSS"
During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 27, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Why does that card make the ooze deck reshuffle? That feels really bad design.

No, seriously, self-heals, add summon, debuffs, range and some tankiness :wtc: did they seriously decide to design the most annoying enemy possible?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The best is when they draw that card like 3 times in a row and just self-destruct.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Omobono posted:

No, seriously, self-heals, add summon, debuffs, range and some tankiness :wtc: did they seriously decide to design the most annoying enemy possible?

If look at it, the most powerful/unique abilities in a monster deck are usually tied to the deck being re-shuffled. Oozes just take the cake when it comes to it :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Omobono posted:

It's actually a good thing for players because it means they split more often and while that's annoying it means they collectively melt faster.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's actually a good thing for players because it means they split more often and while that's annoying it means they collectively melt faster.

Oozes are one of the few enemies in the game you can run away from and expect to eventually self-destruct (although with bad luck that isn't guaranteed).

Note that oozes cannot spawn new oozes into hexes that aren't empty. That includes coins or water. So if this ooze wasn't about to kill itself, someone could step into G5 and prevent it from spawning (though it would still take 2 damage).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Narsham posted:

Oozes are one of the few enemies in the game you can run away from and expect to eventually self-destruct (although with bad luck that isn't guaranteed).

Note that oozes cannot spawn new oozes into hexes that aren't empty. That includes coins or water. So if this ooze wasn't about to kill itself, someone could step into G5 and prevent it from spawning (though it would still take 2 damage).

That's great and I'm glad it exists.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah. Splitting at least means they are not attacking you this round.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah. Splitting at least means they are not attacking you this round.

The real problem is that at higher level, oozes poison with their attacks. And you can rapidly be hip-deep in them. I've seen characters take upward of 20 damage from a single round of ooze attacks, and that's with shields subtracted. Dealing with them requires careful positioning, and you have to decide whether to focus-fire or whether to try to get them all in the 2-4 hp range so that a spawn card will kill them or mean that they and their spawn all die to a second spawn card draw. The Shield 1 makes it hard to sandblast them with AoE attacks, and the elites are beefy enough that it's hard to kill them quickly.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Elephant Ambush posted:

No, sorry, that card is exponential. That's always a bad idea in an otherwise linear system. Let me try to list my problems with what I've seen.

1) Move 1 means that players can Benny Hill them until exhaustion, but that's still an RNG fest. Plus, if that's an intended strategy, why do they have a self-heal?

2) Also, what if they're in the way of a door? You're forced to choose between engaging them or letting them delay the party and waste resources.

3) Are there any setups where oozes are in the back of a room? Mitigation for the split can be prioritizing them. If culling their numbers and/or HP is not realistic, then RNG can deliver a split on door open, a split the turn afterwards and there's now a sea of oozes to deal with. Or they could shuffle forward an plink at the heroes, the variance is kinda too high here.

4) Lots of enemies means AoE time, except the shield innate mitigates that vulnerability. I'd bet the shield goes up at higher levels too.

5) Move 1 should mean traffic jams, but range 3 means they don't really care that much about jams. Any melee hero will get focus fired into oblivion if they try to approach. Apparently they gain poison at higher levels, so that's just icing on the cake.

The way I see it, these things have what I feel should be their vulnerabilities somewhat covered by their passives and deck, and depending on the card flips the variance feels way too high.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Omobono posted:

No, sorry, that card is exponential. That's always a bad idea in an otherwise linear system.
Only until you hit 10 ;) Also, their split occurs twice as often as their heal (more, really because at least one of the splits is a shuffle).

Still, you're right - the 'kite them away' strategy has some major downsides, and it's always better to prevent them from doing so, if possible. Also, any damage you deal to them has an exponential effect if they do happen to split down the road.

Other than situations where it's basically mandatory (cragheart solo scenario) I agree you're better off at least getting some hits in on them before they get scarier.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Welcome to Oozehaven.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So, uh, opening a door on a turn Oozes flip that card is probably a sub-optimal move.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I really want to post a story about how my higher level group (like 7) did this scenario and how it loving SUCKED. But I don’t want to go against the spoilers policy.

If OP gives permission I’ll give a very, very redacted version. (Most of the stuff has been revealed, but there are some spots where I’d have to say [a character class that I won’t say anything about]*, because I was playing one unlock.)

*Literally something like that. Absolute bare minimum to follow the story.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I don't know whether the Diviner counts as spoilers here or not (it's not a sealed class and the designer said you can play it as soon as you unbox the expansion) but when I looked over her ability cards, Oozes were the first thing I thought of. :)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I know what you mean but I didn’t mean that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

So, uh, opening a door on a turn Oozes flip that card is probably a sub-optimal move.

:v:

Also go ahead with the story, but please make sure not to talk about stuff we haven't seen yet (higher level abilities for oozes are ok). The Diviner is technically spoiler free cause it's considered an unsealed class, but I'd say to stick with the same policy the Trad Games thread is using and use spoiler tags for its mechanics!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Abandoned Sewers, Round 5B

- None!

8. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SalTheBard) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Perverse Edge (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves2 to G5.
- Master Splinter uses Frigid Apparition (top)! Consumes ICE. Attacks Ooze 4 for 5 (3base, +1mod +2bonus , SHIELD1) damage! Gains 1XP.
Ooze 4 is killed!

:ese:

42. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Narsham) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Hook and Chain (bot)! Moves4 to F7.
- Bullwinkle uses Sweeping Blow (top)! No Action taken!

Hey Narsham I've followed your orders, but please let me know if you'd like to MOVE2 to G6 instead to collect the coin!

77. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Zulily Zoetrope) posted:

- Rocky uses Backup Ammunition (bot)! Moves2 to F5
- Rocky uses Nature's Lift (top)! HEAL2, Self and Bullwinkle!
Rocky is at 12 HP.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- None

As always in these cases, if you are planning to rest, please provide me with the follow up orders! Whenever someone decides to open the door, I'll start the update and stop after opening the door, so that you'll be able to give me better STEP B orders.

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I got the big stack of coins and figured I should leave some for the others.

Resting, then going through the door the following turn, probably after Splinter and before Rocky, but happy to go first if Splinter wants to play a slower card.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Same here, except intending to go slow and winding up behind someone. Probably just gonna queue up a ranged attack of some sort, and then see if the room lends itself to more obstacle shenanigans. I don’t see myself ending on the coin tile, so feel free to snag it on my account.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

That Italian Guy posted:

:v:

Also go ahead with the story, but please make sure not to talk about stuff we haven't seen yet (higher level abilities for oozes are ok). The Diviner is technically spoiler free cause it's considered an unsealed class, but I'd say to stick with the same policy the Trad Games thread is using and use spoiler tags for its mechanics!

Sure thing (spoilers for Diviner):

The Diviner has a number of cards that manipulate decks, including monster ability cards. You could, for example, make Oozes damage themselves and split more often, by repeatedly moving those cards to the top of the deck.

Level 9 is where it gets silly, as she gets an ability to remove a card (or 2 by consuming elements) from a monster ability deck. Take away the Oozes' heal card, and watch them split themselves to death!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m gonna save my story for a few turns when it could be maximally relevant. And I’ll PM you a draft to make sure I’m good on spoilers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

Waiting for orders from one player to release the update!

:(

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Come on guys, get your orders in! And if you can't, duck out so The Italian Guy can put in a backup!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Since Rocky and Bullwinkle are long resting, just have Splinter use Feedback Loop and Hostile Takeover, move 2 to open the door with the bottom of Feedback Loop and resolve B round after the room is revealed with Splinter having 2 move left and the top ranged attack available.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I've got the orders in, but since the update is a bit more sizeable than normal I won't be able to update till tomorrow morning :)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Reik posted:

Since Rocky and Bullwinkle are long resting, just have Splinter use Feedback Loop and Hostile Takeover, move 2 to open the door with the bottom of Feedback Loop and resolve B round after the room is revealed with Splinter having 2 move left and the top ranged attack available.

That was my plan!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Come on guys, get your orders in! And if you can't, duck out so The Italian Guy can put in a backup!

I really apologize BTW. We had horrible tornadoes come through Kansas last night so I was down in the basement with my Wife and kid. I had every intention of getting my orders in, but life happened. I apologize for once again being the cause of delay.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SalTheBard posted:

I really apologize BTW. We had horrible tornadoes come through Kansas last night so I was down in the basement with my Wife and kid. I had every intention of getting my orders in, but life happened. I apologize for once again being the cause of delay.
Oh man, that was some monstrous storm activity there last night. And uh, many recent nights.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Wow that's scary as gently caress, no need to apologize for, you know, wanting to stay alive :aaaaa:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
My stuff is in

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Is it too late to sign up for future rounds?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Is it too late to sign up for future rounds?

Never :) Welcome aboard!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Abandoned Sewers, Round 6A

- None!

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand6, Discarded2, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 79 with Feedback Loop and Hostile Takeover.

79. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SalTheBard) posted:

code:
"FEEDBACK LOOP (79) [Lvl1]
TOP: Augment - Persistent Bonus On your melee attacks gain SHIELD1 (till end of round) - ATK1 - XP1 (discard when another augment is played)
BOT: MOVE4 - Jump - If you end the movement in the same hex you started in, perform MUDDLE (Target all enemies moved through)."

"HOSTILE TAKEOVER (09) [Lvl2]
TOP: ATK2, Range 4 - IMMOBILIZE - Generate ICE - 1XP
BOT: Round Bonus: Force one normal or elite enemy within Range 3 to perform its turn this Round as if it's allies were enemies and its enemies were allies - 2XP - LOSS"
Rocky (Hand3, Discarded8, Active0, Lost0) is taking a Long Rest!

99. Rocky the Savvas CragheartZulily Zoetrope posted:

Rocky will recover all discarded cards and chose one from the discard pile to LOSE. They will also recover 2HP and refresh all the items that have been SPENT.
Bullwinkle (Hand2, Discarded8, Active0, Lost0) is taking a Long Rest!

99. Bullwinkle the Inox BruteNarsham posted:

Bullwinkle will recover all discarded cards and chose one from the discard pile to LOSE. They will also recover 2HP and refresh all the items that have been SPENT.

Abandoned Sewers, Round 6B

79. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SalTheBard) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Feedback Loop (bot)! Jumps2 to door hex.

Giant Viper 2(E), 3(E), 8 revealed!
Ooze 5, 9, 10 revealed!
Vermling Scout 1(E), 8, 9 revealed!

As always, I'll interrupt the update at the moment the door has been opened, to let the active player(s) decide on how to end their movement and how to direct their attacks :)

As per my previous update, I'll be leaving this afternoon and I'll be back on the 13th of June. I know Narsham has mentioned they'll have to leave as well for a week once I'm back, so we'll try to figure something out and I'll try to make it up to them in a fitting way. Till then, keep drawing x2s everyone!

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvvvv no worries, none is needed :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speaking of, sign me up as well.
No play experience.
E: I do have PMs