Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Pop goes the ooze!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
That was a remarkably satisfying turn!

My suggestions for Bullwinkle's cards are Hook and Chain and Sweeping Blow. Suggest we move at the slower Initiative.
This will give us decent movement toward the door, and an attack in case Master Splinter hits a Null. We can then long rest the turn after and be good to go through the door the following turn.

Kafila fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 19, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Really wishing we had Grab and Go right now. :(

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Do we want to spend 1-2 turns looting? I feel like we're making pretty good progress through room 2 and each of those coins is worth 3 now...

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Reik posted:

Do we want to spend 1-2 turns looting? I feel like we're making pretty good progress through room 2 and each of those coins is worth 3 now...

I personally don't care

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Abandoned Sewers, Round 10A

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- None!

ROUND REVEAL posted:

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand7, Discarded0, Active1, Lost2) is acting at initiative 11 with Empathetic Assault and Scurry.

11. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SalTheBard) posted:

code:
"EMPATHETIC ASSAULT (11) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK4, Range4 - DISARM - Generate ICE - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: MOVE2 - HEAL2 self"

"SCURRY (20) [Lvl1]
TOP: MOVE3 - ATK1
BOT: LOOT2 - XP1 - LOSS"
Bullwinkle (Hand3, Discarded6, Active0, Lost1) is acting at initiative 64 with Sweeping Blow and Hook and Chain.

64. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Narsham) posted:

code:
"SWEEPING BLOW (64) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2, PBAOE (check image)
BOT: MOVE3 - PUSH1 (Target all adjacent enemies)"

"HOOK AND CHAIN (42) [Lvl3]
TOP: ATK3, Range3, PULL2.
BOT: MOVE4 - If the movement was in a straight line, ATK X, where X is the number of hexes you moved with this action."
Rocky (Hand6, Discarded3, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 64 with Nature's Lift and Dirt Tornado.

64. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Zulily Zoetrope) posted:

code:
"NATURE'S LIFT (64) [Lvlx]
TOP: HEAL2, Range3, Target2
BOT: Persistent Bonus On your next six ranged Attack actions when AIR is Strong or Waning, Consume AIR to add +2Range - Gain XP1 on 1st, 3rd and 5th trigger - LOSS"

"DIRT TORNADO (82) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK1, Range2, AOE (check image), Consume EARTH:+1ATK, XP1 
- MUDDLE all allies and enemies in the targeted area.
BOT: Move 3"
Don't forget to vote for Bullwinkle's actions!

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Between the Mindthief and Brute, the Scout will die, and everyone will have a chance to get a coin. Should end up on F4 and the two E hexes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't know what you guys' hands look like for the following rounds, but I'd be cool with tarrying for a couple rounds and inching towards the door if you wanna grab some coins.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't know what you guys' hands look like for the following rounds, but I'd be cool with tarrying for a couple rounds and inching towards the door if you wanna grab some coins.

I know gold is important, but I think cards are even more important so spending a couple rounds inching towards the doors is cards I can't really afford to lose. If I did my math right, after this round is over I will have 6 more rounds left.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

I know gold is important, but I think cards are even more important so spending a couple rounds inching towards the doors is cards I can't really afford to lose. If I did my math right, after this round is over I will have 6 more rounds left.

You've only lost 2 cards, so your rests will be like:

-pick up 7: 3 rounds
-pick up 6: 3 rounds
-pick up 5: 2 rounds
-pick up 4: 2 rounds
-pick up 3: 1 round
-pick up 2: 1 round

so You've got 12 rounds after your next rest, and 2 more rounds before you need to rest, so 14 rounds after the current. Remember you can pick up the minds weakness when you would otherwise have an odd hand size so you can get another turn.

Although, I'd recommend spending the last 4 rounds or so burning through loss cards to gain exp, so you're more realistically look at 10 rounds after the current.

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 20, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I kinda figured. I was just hoping to get a turn to spawn obstacles both before and after resting, but the hardest lesson of Gloomhaven is that if your optimal three-turn combo requires your party to dick around or screw themselves, that's not actually your best move.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Abandoned Sewers, Round 10B

- None!

11. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SalTheBard) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves3 to D4. Attacks Vermling Scout 9 for 2 (1base, -1mod +2bonus) damage!
Vermling Scout 9 is at 1 HP
- Master Splinter uses Empathetic Assault (bot)! Moves2 to B4. HEAL2, Self.
Master Splinter is at 8 HP.

64. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Narsham) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Sweeping Blow (top)! Attacks Vermling Scout 9 for 0 (2base, NULLmod) damage!
- Bullwinkle uses Hook and Chain (bot)! Moves4 to C4.

Now, here's a complex turn. I could have moved 0 with Ball and Chain and attacked for 0+mod, but there still 5 +0 mods and a -2 out of 10 cards in Bullwinkle's deck, so 60% of the time our Brute would have wasted a MOVE4 card and risked getting hit in the face for 4+POISON.

At the same time, I have received no conditional orders for Rocky - as it seemed improbable that the Vermling Scout would survive 2 attacks. That said, I'm a pickle here...I could go against Zulily Zoetrope's express will, move to E4 and punch the Scout in the face with a basic attack, but what if I miss? And furthermore, what if our Cragheart values more the POISON removal on our Brute before opening the last room, and would like to use their Boots to move close to their comrades and heal them, ignoring the Scout for this Round?

I'll stop the update momentarily and wait on a clarification from Zulily Zoetrope on what's the best line of attack in this case!

E: let's finish this!

64. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Zulily Zoetrope) posted:

- Rocky uses Dirt Tornado (bot)! Moves3 to E4
- Rocky uses Nature's Lift (top)! Attacks Vermling Scout 9 for 2 (2base, +0mod) damage!
Vermling Scout 9 is killed!

And that's the end of Vermling Scout 9!

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- EARTH is now inert.

If you plan on resting this Round, please provide me with 1+ extra rounds of orders (up until the door gets opened)! Narsham let us know when you're back, please - till then, thread please keep voting for Bullwinkle :)

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 21, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've already used my boots this rest cycle, so I have no way to zip past the vermling without taking an attack 4 + poison to the face, resulting in a net loss of party health even with the healing taken into account.

I was even about to put in a conditional plan B in case the scout was still alive, but I thought the odds of that were too low. I appreciate the ask, and I'd rather punch the vermling.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Update completed! :) If you plan on resting this Round, please provide me with 1+ extra rounds of orders (up until the door gets opened)! Narsham let us know when you're back, please - till then, thread please keep voting for Bullwinkle :)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Also TIG I think the first image of the update is wrong. Or I’m taking crazy pills.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also TIG I think the first image of the update is wrong. Or I’m taking crazy pills.

:ssh: They both were.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think Bullwinkle moved 5 on their turn including the difficult terrain penalty? They should end up in D5?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

I think Bullwinkle moved 5 on their turn including the difficult terrain penalty? They should end up in D5?

Bullwinkle doesn't care for puny difficult terrain!
I'll fix that before next update :v:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think we might be okay short resting on bullwinkle? All a long rest is going to do for us is clear poison since we have no spent items and there's no chance we're spoiling a battle goal.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reik posted:

I think we might be okay short resting on bullwinkle? All a long rest is going to do for us is clear poison since we have no spent items and there's no chance we're spoiling a battle goal.

Boots got spent and they do need to be recovered before the next room. I also don't want to lose.several cards, especially Hook & Chain and Balanced Measure. Probably want to loss Sweeping Blow or Eye for an eye.

I should be back in a few days.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Ah, yeah we need the boots for a battle axe wombo combo.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

Narsham posted:

Boots got spent and they do need to be recovered before the next room. I also don't want to lose.several cards, especially Hook & Chain and Balanced Measure. Probably want to loss Sweeping Blow or Eye for an eye.

I should be back in a few days.

Agreed - long rest Bullwinkle, pitching Eye for an Eye.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Aight, Rocky will take the long rest, as well.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of oozes, Isaac is a vile and cruel man:

https://t.co/oXk7E397pD

(:nms:)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I hosed up and didn't send in orders yet. So you want me to open door? I know Rocky and Bullwinkle are long resting.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

I hosed up and didn't send in orders yet. So you want me to open door? I know Rocky and Bullwinkle are long resting.

Do NOT open that door.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, opening leaves us open to an attack, but makes it easier to pick cards for the next round, and vice versa for the inverse.

I’m leaning towards leaving it, because there’s only really one pair of cards that makes sense given Rocky’s position, and there’s always the risk of the room having oozes that draw the split card, which probably won’t work in our favor to the degree it did before.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Well, opening leaves us open to an attack, but makes it easier to pick cards for the next round, and vice versa for the inverse.

I’m leaning towards leaving it, because there’s only really one pair of cards that makes sense given Rocky’s position, and there’s always the risk of the room having oozes that draw the split card, which probably won’t work in our favor to the degree it did before.

It's ok I submitted my action. I'm basically just burning 2 cards at this point so I'm at least going to get a Gold out of it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of oozes, Isaac is a vile and cruel man:

https://t.co/oXk7E397pD

(:nms:)

The Monster!

Just as an heads-up, my day is probably going to be spent in IKEA, so we may have to skip today's update till tomorrow! Sorry folks, I have an insatiable hunger for birch wood and/or meatballs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That Italian Guy posted:

The Monster!

Just as an heads-up, my day is probably going to be spent in IKEA, so we may have to skip today's update till tomorrow! Sorry folks, I have an insatiable hunger for birch wood and/or meatballs.

You should not have chosen option B on the Target or IKEA card. Sure you get meatballs, but at the cost of your very soul.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

You should not have chosen option B on the Target or IKEA card. Sure you get meatballs, but at the cost of your very soul.

I should have read this earlier...looks like I didn't agree with the IKEA meatballs or something and I'm badly indisposed... I won't be able to update until I recover a vertical stance. Hopefully it's tomorrow though!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
God speed TIG!!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The ooze has gotten it's vengeance via IKEA food. Nobody saw it coming :negative:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I played physical Gloomhaven for the first time in forever. My group was under the same impression that I was about looting coins (you just had to move through the hex to loot). When I explained that it actually just the hex you stop on we decided to house it rule to the wrong way 😂

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

In v1 of the game, the Scoundrel actually had a card which worked exactly the way you describe. It was nerfed in v2 and onward so that it no longer loots every tile you move through.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zurai posted:

In v1 of the game, the Scoundrel actually had a card which worked exactly the way you describe. It was nerfed in v2 and onward so that it no longer loots every tile you move through.

It still works the same way, it's just that the number of hexes was dramatically reduced (from 4 to 2).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Abandoned Sewers, Round 11A

- Bullwinkle should be in D5!

ROUND REVEAL posted:

"PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green. Available items are also shown there."

Master Splinter (Hand5, Discarded2, Active1, Lost2) is acting at initiative 16 with Brain Leech and Feedback Loop.

16. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SalTheBard) posted:

code:
"BRAIN LEECH (16) [Lvl3]
TOP: ATK4, Range4 - HEAL4, Self - Generate DARK, XP2 - LOSS
BOT: ATK1 - STREGTHEN Self."

"FEEDBACK LOOP (79) [Lvl1]
TOP: Augment - Persistent Bonus On your melee attacks gain SHIELD1 (till end of round) - ATK1 - XP1 (discard when another augment is played)
BOT: MOVE4 - Jump - If you end the movement in the same hex you started in, perform MUDDLE (Target all enemies moved through)."
Rocky (Hand4, Discarded5, Active1, Lost1) is taking a Long Rest!

99. Rocky the Savvas CragheartZulily Zoetrope posted:

Rocky will recover all discarded cards and chose one from the discard pile to LOSE. They will also recover 2HP and refresh all the items that have been SPENT.
Bullwinkle (Hand1, Discarded8, Active0, Lost1) is taking a Long Rest!

99. Bullwinkle the Inox BruteNarsham posted:

Bullwinkle will recover all discarded cards and chose one from the discard pile to LOSE. They will also recover 2HP and refresh all the items that have been SPENT.

Abandoned Sewers, Round 11B

16. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (SalTheBard) posted:

- Master Splinter uses Feedback Loop (bot)! Jumps3 to E3.
- Master Splinter uses Brain Leech (top)! No action taken!
Master Splinter uses Empowering Talisman, refreshes Minor Stamina Potion!
Master Splinter executes end of turn looting! Gains 1 coin token(s).

99. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Zulily Zoetrope) posted:

Rockytakes a Long Rest! Recovers all the discarded cards, refreshes all SPENT items, HEALS2 Self. Loses Forceful Storm.

99. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Narsham) posted:

Bullwinkletakes a Long Rest! Recovers all the discarded cards, refreshes all SPENT items, HEALS2 Self - loses POISON token, no HP healed. Loses Eye of an Eye.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- None

If you're not planning on breaching the last room this Round please discuss it itt and send me 2 rounds worth of orders! As always, I'll stop the update once the door has been opened to allow the players to better assess the situation. Also Narsham should be back soon, I believe, but until then please keep voting for Bullwinkle's actions!

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If we spend this round moving towards the door and open it the next round, I think we should put Bullwinkle in either B3 or B5 and hope he can charge through the door and pull off a wicked hook and chain bottom attack + balanced measures top attack.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reik posted:

If we spend this round moving towards the door and open it the next round, I think we should put Bullwinkle in either B3 or B5 and hope he can charge through the door and pull off a wicked hook and chain bottom attack + balanced measures top attack.

I'm now back and can resume playing Bullwinkle. Reik's suggestion would probably be my preference; my alternative is to move into the door myself. Enemies might be close enough to block the door, though, unless someone can run into the room. I think we'll be able to be more responsive to enemy positioning if we wait one more turn.

I'm planning to burn a lot of loss cards quickly. (I admit that I remember this last room in the way that most people who played through this scenario multiple times is going to remember it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

SalTheBard posted:

I played physical Gloomhaven for the first time in forever. My group was under the same impression that I was about looting coins (you just had to move through the hex to loot). When I explained that it actually just the hex you stop on we decided to house it rule to the wrong way 😂

Holy moly I hope you bumped the difficulty up by 1 because that makes the game super easy.