Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SalTheBard posted:

Cragheart are you doing anything that could hurt me if I get into melee with the archers?

You might take some splash damage depending on the final configuration, but I can also heal it off you after we clear the room.

Edit: On second thought, if you can leave I5 open for me, I don't need to do AoE stuff this turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
E: update at the end of the previous page!

SalTheBard posted:

Christ, this is so much harder for me to envision spatially in my head without the actual board in front of me.

If you are not on mobile, you can also copy the last image and draw crude lines with paint to show your own and the enemies's movements...ofc you won't be able to 100% know where the enemies are going to move, if they go before you, especially since their full action deck has not been revealed yet.

As a general rule, Archers won't move any closer if they already have a valid target where they are; their basic stats are MOVE2 and Range3.

Also, since PUSH and PULL can be a bit confusing, here's a nice resource on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1734042/push-pull-clarification. Remember that, when pushing an enemy, each hex you push them has to place the target farther away from you; this is a nice visual reminder of which hexes are valid for a PUSH1 or 2:

- Blue is player;
- Red are enemy positions;
- Yellow are valid push squares (top is PUSH1, bot is PUSH2).

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 27, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Some Numbers posted:

Edit: On second thought, if you can leave I5 open for me, I don't need to do AoE stuff this turn.

Apologies for the lack of clarity...I may adopt global coordinates for the next map (or have a better way to convey them), but for now I believe you want to move into I3(2)? AKA this:

Horizontal coordinates for room n.2 are simply 1, 2 and 3 left to right. It was indicated in the thread, but I should have displayed them more clearly on the map itself as well. I think I have understood your orders anyway, and that's the important part :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 27, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yes, I want to move to the big red X.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like we all have the same idea of pushing that elite bandit archer in to one of the traps?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, I want to move to the big red X.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out if global coordinates would be better than the current system (as certain map configs could make difficult to track a specific coordinate). If I keep the current system, I'll make sure to make things more clear in the future.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

I feel like we all have the same idea of pushing that elite bandit archer in to one of the traps?

Do you have a better idea? I'm not going particularly fast, so if you want to push him onto the lower trap, I should be able to push him onto the other one.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

Do you have a better idea? I'm not going particularly fast, so if you want to push him onto the lower trap, I should be able to push him onto the other one.

I do not. My plan was if the Brute wanted to finish the guard off for their PQ, I'd short rest and do the push myself, but if one of you can do the push that would be better.

Also, Brute/Sal, the cards you get back from a Stamina Potion are open knowledge if you wanted to post in the thread instead of PMing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

I do not. My plan was if the Brute wanted to finish the guard off for their PQ, I'd short rest and do the push myself, but if one of you can do the push that would be better.
So wait, are you pushing on turn 5 or 6?

I have a push programmed in for the turn we're planning right now.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

So wait, are you pushing on turn 5 or 6?

I have a push programmed in for the turn we're planning right now.

I'll push next round (round 6). This round will be general damage (round 5).

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 27, 2018

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
So Gloomhaven newbie here, but how does shield work? It looks like Bullwinkle had a shield when he was shot by the 2 attack Archer with no modifiers, but still took 2 damage?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

DarthRoblox posted:

So Gloomhaven newbie here, but how does shield work? It looks like Bullwinkle had a shield when he was shot by the 2 attack Archer with no modifiers, but still took 2 damage?

The archer he was attacked by was an Elite archer, which uses the stats on the right side of the card, so he was attacked for 3, the archer flipped a +0 modifier card, and his shield negated one of the points of damage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

I'll push next round (round 6). This round will be general damage (round 5).

Okay, I'll push the archer onto the trap closer to us and you can push him up the next turn.

DarthRoblox posted:

That's mostly due to the way That Italian Guy wrote it. The archer attacked for 3 damage and flipped a +0 card, so 3 damage hit the Brute, whose Shield reduced it by 1.

We may want to start posting the combat resolution like that?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah I was thinking a more detailed breakdown of the damage modifiers could be useful (base value, followed by detailed mods). I'm building a spreadsheet to automate to a degree the formatting for the combat log, I'll add this functionality to the model.

namad
Nov 7, 2013

That Italian Guy posted:

Hey SalTheBard, don't forget to let me know which cards you want to recover with your Minor Stamina Potion! You do have one (instead of the health potion) since the thread has voted for boots of striding + minor stamina potion for the Brute's intems.

Can he recover the cards from the current turn right after he discards them? or can he only use items before his end step phase in which his current turn's cards are actually discarded? The rulebook (at least first edition) doesn't clearly specify this issue. As far as I'm personally concerned either ruling is fine, but should probably be consistent.

You can only use items during your own turn, and you discard your current turn's cards at the end of your turn, so it's a bit of a semantics issue, and I'm too lazy to try and find what isaac said in a forum about it. In my game we house ruled it that you could use it in such a fashion if you wanted. It felt a little OP though. I mostly made the houserule up to get people to stop arguing about it though, because people kept trying to argue that we should allow it (on turns they wanted to do it).

Edit: oh also your pushing diagram doesn't entirely make it clear, but if a push2 is obstructed then push1 locations on the way to the obstructed tile become valid. Yes?

namad fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 28, 2018

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

namad posted:

Can he recover the cards from the current turn right after he discards them? or can he only use items before his end step phase in which his current turn's cards are actually discarded? The rulebook (at least first edition) doesn't clearly specify this issue. As far as I'm personally concerned either ruling is fine, but should probably be consistent.

You can only use items during your own turn, and you discard your current turn's cards at the end of your turn, so it's a bit of a semantics issue, and I'm too lazy to try and find what isaac said in a forum about it. In my game we house ruled it that you could use it in such a fashion if you wanted. It felt a little OP though. I mostly made the houserule up to get people to stop arguing about it though, because people kept trying to argue that we should allow it (on turns they wanted to do it).

Edit: oh also your pushing diagram doesn't entirely make it clear, but if a push2 is obstructed then push1 locations on the way to the obstructed tile become valid. Yes?

The discarding happens immediately upon taking the action (unless the action specifies that the card remains active/in-play or is lost), and you can use a stamina potion on your turn subsequent to taking your two actions. See the posted rules, pages 17 (for discarding) and 18 (character turn). Obviously, a card played this turn that remains active until the end of the round cannot be recovered unless you choose to discard it and end the active effect.

And yes, you may push 1 if after the first hex of the push you have no valid hex for the full push 2 (or higher) to execute.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm not going to use push after all, I am going to to metric gently caress load of damage and will end up at spot D2 (I wanted I5 but I don't want to dick over Craigheart!!!) I'm also going hella fast.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I appreciate that, my plan gets worse if I’m not in I5

namad
Nov 7, 2013

Narsham posted:

The discarding happens immediately upon taking the action (unless the action specifies that the card remains active/in-play or is lost), and you can use a stamina potion on your turn subsequent to taking your two actions. See the posted rules, pages 17 (for discarding) and 18 (character turn). Obviously, a card played this turn that remains active until the end of the round cannot be recovered unless you choose to discard it and end the active effect.

And yes, you may push 1 if after the first hex of the push you have no valid hex for the full push 2 (or higher) to execute.

The grammar wasn't really that clear in my mind. I'm glad we played correctly though. The part that I found vague was in part the page about usage of items. Yes an action is discarded immediately after it is used, but immediately after using your 2nd card for the turn, your turn could end. I guess I've got a bit of a magic the gathering mindset when it comes to analyzing rules and gloomhaven doesn't really have phases or end of turn phase steps. If it wasn't unclear to anyone on earth but me, well then, there's no debate to be had in the thread, issue solved! Although given my own confusion about the exact way that rule works, I was definitely not sure if salthebard knew how that timing worked. I guess after reading this long boring rant where I slightly misunderstand another rule, well, he'll probably remember the rule now!

Sidenote: I consulted my IRL friend. Turns out we didn't misunderstand the rule about revealing battle goals, we just chose to break it intentionally (After a discussion I forget occurred on day1). We figured if we're not allowed to say numbers or names of cards, and we're all friends hanging out for the afternoon. Then we needed something cool to talk about, so battle goals it was. I think That Italian Guy's suggestion is even better than just blurting out the secret though. Revealing all 6, but keeping the 3 that matter and who has which a secret.... it's IMO going to provide great intrigue for the thread. Not in this scenario, honestly these 6 battle goals, while they can be failed.... none of them really tempt the players to lose the entire scenario on purpose/accidentally (there exist other battle goals in the future that might come very close to doing just that!) Without the direct ability to beg the guy who has the danger card to behave, that could get interesting, especially since the thread will know the danger card(s) were included in the 6 that were dealt (whereas if they were kept permanently hidden no one would know to worry). Sorry for wording this sidenote so weirdly, I don't want to accidentally spoiler all the battle goals.

namad fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 28, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Black Barrow, Update 6

Last Round pending actions posted:

Bullwinkle uses Minor Stamina Potion! Recovers Provoking Roar and Trample.

PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green in turns following the one they are played in. Available items are also shown there.

Bullwinkle the Brute is going at initiative 35, with Skewer and Trample. INTENT: move through enemies damaging them, skewer two. Use Boots of Striding.
code:
"SKEWER (35) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK 3, PBAOE (check card), Consume AIR: +1ATK, PIERCE1 - XP1
BOT: MOVE6 - XP1 - LOSS"

"TRAMPLE (72) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PIERCE2
BOT: MOVE4, Jump - ATK2 (Target all enemies moved through) - XP2 - LOSS"
Master Splinter the Mindthief is going second, at initiative 48, with Scurry & Submissive Affliction. INTENT: if the guard is dead, move and double attack the archers; if it's still alive, attack the Guard instead. Short Rest declared at the end of the turn!
code:
"SCURRY (20) [Lvl1]
TOP: MOVE3 - ATK1
BOT: LOOT2 - XP1"

"SUBMISSIVE AFFLICTION (48) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2 - Add +ATK1 for each negative condition on the target - XP1
BOT: Force one enemy within Range5 to perform ATK2 (Range0) targeting another enemy with you controlling the action."
Rocky the Savvas Cragheart is going last at initiative 57, with Heaving Swing & Dirt Tornado. INTENT: Move closer and push the Elite archer into a trap. Use Boots of Striding if necessary. Short Rest declared at the end of the turn!
code:
"HEAVING SWING (57) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK3 - PUSH1 - You may push the target into hexes containing obstacles. In each case, destroy the obstacle, the target suffers 2 damage and you gain XP1.
BOT: Round bonus Add +1ATK to all your ranged attacks this round. "

"DIRT TORNADO (82) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK1, Range2, AOE (check image), Consume EARTH:+1ATK, XP1 
- MUDDLE all allies and enemies in the targeted area.
BOT: Move 3"
MONSTERS OVERWIEV

Both enemy types are going after the Brute and the Mindthief, but before the Cragheart. The Elite Guard has drawn a card we've already seen and he's going to attack and buff self for the next round. The Archers are going full Legolas and doing an attack targeting two enemies each. They won't be able to move into a position that would allow them to attack both targets without disadvantage, though!

Black Barrow, Round 5 posted:

35. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute
Bullwinkle uses Trample (bot)! Uses Boots of Striding! Moves 2 to D2(2) through L2, J2, H2, G3, F2! Attacks Bandit Guard 2(E) for 3 (2base, +1mod) damage! Attacks Bandit Archer 6(E) for 4 (2base, x2mod) damage! Attacks Bandit Archer 2 for 2 (2base, +0mod) damage! Attacks Bandit Archer 1 for 1 (2base, -1mod) damage!
Bullwinkle uses Skewer (top)! Attacks Bandit Archer 1 for 2 (3base, -1mod) damage! Attacks Bandit Archer 6(E) for 3 (3base, +0mod) damage!
Bandit Guard 2(E)is at 1 HP
Bandit Archer 6(E) is killed!
Bandit Archer 1is at 1 HP
Bandit Archer 2is at 2 HP
Personal Quest Progression: Bandit Archer added to the trophies!
Attack Modifier deck reshuffled

48. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief
Master Splinter uses Submissive Affliction (bot)! Forces Bandit Archer 2 to attack Bandit Guard 2(E) for 1 (2base, -1mod) damage!
No contingency movement declared! Generic "best outcome" intent: move towards the next room, avoid enemy focus.
Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves 2 to M1(2)
Bandit Guard 2(E) is killed!

55. Bandit Archer 1, 2
Bandit Archer 1 focuses Bullwinkle, can't target a second target!!
Attacks Bullwinkle with DISADVANTAGE for 0 (1base, -1/-1mod, SHIELD1) damage.
Bullwinkle: Warding Strenght 2nd trigger!
Bandit Archer 2 focuses Bullwinkle, can't target a second target!!
Attacks Bullwinkle for 0 (1base, +0mod, SHIELD1) damage.
Bullwinkle: Warding Strenght 3rd trigger! Gain 1XP

57. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart
Rocky usesDirt Tornado (bot)! Uses Boots of Striding! Moves 5 to H2(2)
Rocky uses Heaving Swing (top)! Attacks Bandit Archer 2 for 5 (3base, +2mod) damage!
Bandit Archer 2 is killed!
Rocky executes end of turn looting! Gains 1 coin token.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS
DARK is inert.
Master Splinter takes a short rest! Loses Feedback Loop!
Rocky takes a short rest! Loses Earthen Clod!

Bullwinkle has gone full Juggernaut on those bandits!
The Brute will have to take a Long Rest action next round, unless SalTheBard declares to take a short rest at the end of the current one! If you do so, please remember to include which cards you would lose HP to reroll for in case they get lost!

Reik, Some Numbers and SalTheBard, please submit your orders for round 6!
- Specify two plans, using the two possible combinations of top/bottom. PLAN A is your preferred one.
- Select one or more preferred target(s) for your attacks. (IE: "n.3"; or "n.4 if it's still alive, otherwise n.5")
- Select one or more preferred final location for your movements.
- Specify the maximum enemy focus threshold you will tolerate: if your selected orders move you in a place that puts you into N+ enemy focus, I'll try to accomodate that into your orders. This is to avoid potential suicide rushes, since you will operate without full knowledge of potential enemy positions.
- (OPTIONAL) add your intention for the round. This will allow me to better understand and execute your idea (IE: I want to grab focus from the enemies trying to kill PlayerX).

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: 3AM EST:getin:
Also please Reik let me know if you want to reroll the card lost with your Short Rest! I know you've already included some options for that, but you have still the next round to let me know if you have second thoughts :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 28, 2018

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I like the stamina potion targeting trample. Trample is IMO an above average card that is worthy of keeping even in a high level brute lineup.

Edit: Oh also, huh?

That Italian Guy posted:

The Brute will have to take a Long Rest action next round, unless SalTheBard declares to take a short rest at the end of the current one! If you do so, please remember to include which cards you would lose HP to reroll for in case they get lost!

What do these two things have to do with each other? Anyone/Everyone can announce a short rest at the end of any turn, and/or a long rest at the start of any turn.

namad fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 28, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You have to long rest if you have less than two cards in your hand at the start of a round. Since he's used his stamina potion, the only way to avoid that is to announce a short rest at the end of this round.

namad
Nov 7, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You have to long rest if you have less than two cards in your hand at the start of a round. Since he's used his stamina potion, the only way to avoid that is to announce a short rest at the end of this round.

Yes, but I thought salthebard was the cragheart? Did I get them backwards?

Edit: Yes, I agree the brute has to rest though.

Edit2: Update1 mentions which person is which character, my bad, I did have them backwards! I thought salthebard was the cragheart for some indescribly silly reason. I think maybe you should add who the current players are to the OP. If only to prevent me from making more stupid posts in the future!

namad fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 28, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah just that... You would be able to notice that you're out of cards at the end of your turn and declare a short rest in normal play... But you may not notice that you don't have cards to play for your next round in this digital format. I'm just letting Sal know that if they don't want to skip the next round they'll have to declare short rest now.

Edit: ahah ok I will add player names in the players overview from the next update on :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 28, 2018

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I've just made myself look like a fool, but, I strongly recommend the brute long rest. Yes, if there are enemies on the board it's usually a bad idea to long rest, however... The brute is about one turn's movement in front of the party and the brute could use the healing. In my RL campaign the brute was often charging ahead of the party so quickly that it made sense for him to long rest sometimes, just to intentionally waste a turn, even if he didn't want the healing. Your handsize, and your long rests create a sort of maximum turn counter for the mission. Although I think this mission is going too well for it to matter. I did want to play devil's advocate since I think most people would recommend the short rest. Edit: Also, boots.

Of course I just made myself look insane by confusing one person with themselves, so ya know, no need to listen to me :)

Edit: Oh also another suggestion for That Italian Guy. It'd be cool if every update listed every player's hand count, discardpile count, lostpile count. As these numbers actually matter more than HP in many ways. Gloomhaven helper though assumes real players will have the cards in front of them. Maybe just type the numbers into every future update? It might make the flow of combat easier to follow? Especially in parties with say a tinkerer, the lost card pile starts to matter a lot more than hp counts. In terms of determining how "dire" a dangerous place has become.

On top of that, again, mostly with support characters like the tinkerer and others, knowing the number of cards in an allies discard pile can matter more than knowing their hp. Not in this party lineup, but well, if the number is that important, maybe it should be kept a running tally of? I used to, when I was playing a tinkerer, ask my allies how many cards were in their discard pile about once per turn.

namad fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 28, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

The idea is to keep track of current hand, discarded, lost and active cards with the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet under the Players Overview section.
The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green in turns following the one they are played in. Available items are also shown there.

That way there is a fully itemized list and not just a numerical count. I originally thought about tracking this in the thread, but it would be too long - half of every update would just be a tally of cards.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Goddamn that felt good :-D

I'm long resting this round since the last Archer only has 1 HP

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Do we have any way of getting rid of one of the traps? I don't mind "disarming" it via bodying the trap but I would prefer not take the damage if I don't have to.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I forgot to say that I was not picking up The Mind's Weakness when short resting. I was planning on leaving it in my active pile.

SalTheBard posted:

Do we have any way of getting rid of one of the traps? I don't mind "disarming" it via bodying the trap but I would prefer not take the damage if I don't have to.

I could try jumping to open the door and moving back to our side of the traps and seeing if a melee monster will trigger them for us.

EDIT: I can no longer jump over the traps.

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 28, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Reik posted:

I forgot to say that I was not picking up The Mind's Weakness when short resting. I was planning on leaving it in my active pile.

Rerolling the lost card...lost Feedback Loop!

I'll fix the update asap.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
You can take a damage to lose a different card. Not sure if the risk of losing one of the others is worth it to you though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I can facetank one if necessary and I can heal people.

On that note, I will short rest this turn, if that's still acceptable.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

You can take a damage to lose a different card. Not sure if the risk of losing one of the others is worth it to you though.

Yeah, Reik has put some contingency for that in case he had lost a couple of cards.

Some Numbers you're still in time to declare a short rest.
The idea is: I have to be able to communicate with you to let you know which card you've lost before your next order and, due to timezone difference, your request may come in the middle of the night :)You should declare a short rest together with your normal orders; but, since it's the very last thing you'll do in your turn, I'll include it in the previous round if - like this time - I am able to see and process your request before the next orders are in/due.

Would you like to put in a contingency to reroll for any specific card?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 28, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
You could have them for the lost card themselves on Orokos or somewhere

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah, Reik has put some contingency for that in case he had lost a couple of cards.

Some Numbers you're still in time to declare a short rest.
The idea is: I have to be able to communicate with you to let you know which card you've lost before your next order and, due to timezone difference, your request may come in the middle of the night :)You should declare a short rest together with your normal orders; but, since it's the very last thing you'll do in your turn, I'll include it in the previous round if - like this time - I am able to see and process your request before the next orders are in/due.

Would you like to put in a contingency to reroll for any specific card?

Yes, I will take a damage to keep Massive Boulder or Rumbling Advance.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have a cunning plan. We can facetank the traps next turn.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, I will take a damage to keep Massive Boulder or Rumbling Advance.

You have lost Earthen Clod! I'll add this to the update as well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Perfect.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Are you going to finish that last archer and loot this turn? if so I can grab the coin down here and prep for going in next round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Reik posted:

Are you going to finish that last archer and loot this turn? if so I can grab the coin down here and prep for going in next round.

Yep.