Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Slaan posted:

She's really not that bad. You basically always go first so it's easy to stun, kill or avoid anything that might punch you. I had never played when I got splinter and did just fine

*nod* Or you can instead choose to go dead last, sitting away not being a target then slither in and do two rounds of attacks to the monsters' none. She's good people - her only real issue is that she absolutely doesn't eat any damage at all unless she wants to... which means that her partners tend to soak a bit more than their share. Rocky and Bullwinkle here can certainly take it since I believe they're the largest sacks of meat in the game, but a full party of squishies like her makes for... interesting times :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

oh poo poo i'm up for stabbing things!

help me guys imma noob.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

AtomikKrab posted:

help me guys imma noob.

The most important thing to remember is that the game really wants you just tank some hits, so it's totally good to just run up and get stuck in. You can take it. No problem at all.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^^ :colbert:

AtomikKrab posted:

help me guys imma noob.

Hey Krab, the player you were subbing in for is actually here, but don't worry, you're playing in the next scenario ;)

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
- MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario 14!

Master Splinter for exceptional stabbage!

- Should Bullwinkle buy a Minor Power Potion (Y/N)

No

- Should Rocky buy a Minor Power Potion (Y/N)

No

- Should Master Splinter pay 30g to add +1 Move to the top of Scurry (Y/N)

Yes

- Road Event outcome, A or B!

Option B - Follow the animals We're not fireproof!

- Our Next Destination!

Drake Nest

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
City Management VIII, Update 2 and Scenario 43 Preamble.

MVP! posted:

:agesilaus: Our MVP for Scenario 14 is Bullwinkle, as piloted by Phelddagrif :agesilaus:

Money Matters posted:

- Master Splinter is going to add +1 Move to the top of Scurry for 30 gold
- Rocky IS going to buy a Minor Power Potion for 10 gold;
- Bullwinkle is NOT going to buy a Minor Power Potion;
UPDATED FINANCES:
- Master Splinter: 0 gold.
- Rocky: 2 gold.
- Bullwinkle: 34 gold (unchanged).

Scurry is now a MOVE4 > ATK1 top!

While on the Road to the next Scenario...

Road Event 21, resolution posted:

Effect: Each player discards 2 cards before the start of the Scenario.
Well that sucked and it's a gritty reminder that Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires. Our outcome is arguably the worst out of the 2, given that hand size is what truly determines long term endurance; it's one of the reasons this post is fairly accurate!
Let's examine our next destination:Scenario 43 - Drake Nest

Scenario 43 - Drake Nest - Location posted:

Our destination lies at the edges of the Dagger Forest. I like to think the fire that almost killed us was started by the Inox tribe we almost wiped out during Scenario 3.

Awwww, aren't those cute? No. They're not.

Scenario 43 - Drake Nest - Features posted:

These are the details we know about Scenario 43 before starting it:
Links to:nothing!
Requirements: The Power of Enhancement (Global) COMPLETE
Goal: Kill a number of drakes equal to four times the number of characters (12)
Tiles in the Scenario:

Map Layout:

Scenario 43 - Drake Nest - Creatures posted:

These are the stats for this Scenario's creatures:

We currently don't know any of these creatures ability deck! In case that's not clear, Fire Demons's RETALIATE triggers up to Range2 instead of just from melee range.

Scenario 43 - Drake Nest - Introduction posted:

“Oh my, you think I can help you to breathe underwater? How adorable.” Hail stares at you with an exasperated look. “I mean, who do you think I am? Where would I even begin?” Hail turns around and begins to pace. “You’d need drake scales, of course—something to filter the air out of the water. And if you consider the water’s separate elemental properties...” She trails off and disappears in the process.

You are used to her behavior by now and wait patiently for her return. It takes an hour.
“Okay, yes, you have intrigued me. I accept your proposal. Bring me some drake scales and I’ll see what I can do. I know of a drake nest on the northern border of the Dagger Forest. I’ll draw you a map.”
The map’s not great, but it does get you to the mouth of a cave, and there is a distinct hissing emanating from within. Hail wants you to gather as many scales as you can carry, so it’s time to get to slaughtering.

Scenario Special Rules
- None!

Players spaw tiles are marked with a STRENGTHEN token.

A large endurance scenario with -2 cards from the get go is nasty! At least we have the 3 classes with the largest hands out of all the 6 starting ones...

Xiahou Dun, Eeepies and Kafila, please provide:
- Your hand selection for this Scenario (please specify what you are removing and what you are adding, if you change something);
- Pick one of the Battle Goals provided in the PM;
- Your starting location. You can freely discuss this itt.
Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS TOMORROW 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Elite Flame demons are the absolute worst. Ranged retaliate AND high Shield AND more HP than the average pierce attack. And of course elites are immune to most "don't roll dice, just delete that guy period" character powers.

What I'm saying is : oh our players will have so much fun with this one. Truly they are in for an enjoyable experience !

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Three of my "favorite" enemies all in the same scenario! Have fun stormin' the castle!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

Elite Flame demons are the absolute worst. Ranged retaliate AND high Shield AND more HP than the average pierce attack. And of course elites are immune to most "don't roll dice, just delete that guy period" character powers.

What I'm saying is : oh our players will have so much fun with this one. Truly they are in for an enjoyable experience !

I suspect the thread of voting for the scenarios that they don't want to end up playing themselves. Hypothesis will be tested when scenario 72 unlocks.

Flame Demons are one of the more variable experiences in the game. I expect we'll see why soon enough. Their high shields make high damage attacks generally better than pierce attacks, as Attack 7 is going to do better than Attack 3, pierce 2. Rocky's ability to deal indirect damage that ignores shields makes him the best of the starting characters against the demons, though.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Question, how about the cards to discard? Is that random, or do we choose? And if we choose, should we just send them in as well?

This is my first time playing a Craghart, so I hope I don't disappoint the other players.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Man, flame demons are a much bigger pain without rock slide.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Narsham posted:

Flame Demons are one of the more variable experiences in the game. I expect we'll see why soon enough. Their high shields make high damage attacks generally better than pierce attacks, as Attack 7 is going to do better than Attack 3, pierce 2. Rocky's ability to deal indirect damage that ignores shields makes him the best of the starting characters against the demons, though.

Non-attack damage also bypasses the retaliate which can help a lot.

Really the easiest way to deal with Flame Demons is to misread the rules and force them into traps. Worked a treat for us the first time we faced them.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Narsham posted:

Rocky's ability to deal indirect damage that ignores shields makes him the best of the starting characters against the demons, though.

IIRC Retaliate is also True Damage, so our beloved Filthy Rat-Thing could use one demon to poke at the other until one of 'em is dead, using Submissive Affliction - although since the fuckers shoot at range too (because of course they do) it'll be tricky to manipulate them into being side by side.
But yeah, Flame Demons are one of those enemies that simply force players to explore what possibilities they have outside of "I hit it with a stick"

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Eeepies posted:

Question, how about the cards to discard? Is that random, or do we choose? And if we choose, should we just send them in as well?

This is my first time playing a Craghart, so I hope I don't disappoint the other players.

You choose which cards to discard. Or rather, you pick each card of your new Regular Total Minus Two hand of cards for the scenario.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Rending Drakes are gigantic assholes, because they cover a lot of ground and hit like multiple trucks.

I voted for this one because we want to finish it. I'd be happy to play it myself!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kobal2 posted:

IIRC Retaliate is also True Damage, so our beloved Filthy Rat-Thing could use one demon to poke at the other until one of 'em is dead, using Submissive Affliction - although since the fuckers shoot at range too (because of course they do) it'll be tricky to manipulate them into being side by side.
But yeah, Flame Demons are one of those enemies that simply force players to explore what possibilities they have outside of "I hit it with a stick"

Their retaliate is range 2, so submissive affliction would be a strong play right at the start.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Eeepies posted:

No worries we're all among friends :)

Also yeah please active players don't forget to tell me which two cards you want to discard as a Road event effect!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Motherfuckshit.

I hate this scenario so much. Whenever I see drakes it’s like that bit in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. “Who are those guys?”

I’m gonna go unhappily pick out some cards. Petulantly.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Fellow players, are we able to kill both of them immediately on turn 1? Otherwise, I'll muddle them T1, depending on the cards they reveal.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 4, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yo so I'm picking my hand and stuff.

Unless someone says anything, I'm going with the fact that Splinter has been relatively flush recently and emphasizing stabbing/survival over looting.

Edit : Splinter apparently has Hook and Chain, the Brute card? Gonna guess that's an error, even as much as I'd love to take that card.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 4, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sorry to double post but I just submitted my card load-out and wanted to run my proposed turn by my fellow players.

I'm thinking of starting off in D5, going super quick to lay down an augment to set me up for later and to stun a fire demon. Thoughts?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Edit : Splinter apparently has Hook and Chain, the Brute card? Gonna guess that's an error, even as much as I'd love to take that card.

Ahah I've just realized I've put that card in the wrong screenshot...I blame the fact that the Brute and MT cards have 2 very similar shades of blue. Also the Brute had Mind Leech :v:

EDIT: fixed the screenshots (the spreadsheet was already fine)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 4, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

poo poo I should've checked the spreadsheet. (I process them as cards better for some reason.)

I might be sending you a revised hand of cards in a minute ; I forgot about Brain Leech.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
Of course this was a great day to be out all day :)

I'll be getting stuff over to you shortly TIG!

As for my hand, Those Flame Demons are very scary for the Brute, no easy way to get any damage through and when you do you take a load of retaliation.

This first room is going to be rough!

Quick rules clarification - for Hook and Chain, does the retaliate go off after the attack but before the pull?
Depending on the answer to that, my initial thought is to stand in D5, shield up and pull the closest demon to me. That should mean it'll focus me with it's attack, and I'll be as protected as I can be That'll go off pretty quickly but not too fast.

If that is the case, Xiahou Dun - would you rather start in B5? Then you could stun the other one?

Eepies? The muddle sounds very good - everything we can do to minimize incoming fire!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If I start in B5 I'll be out of range for what I was planning.

Not that we have to go with my plan or anything, I'm just spit-balling here.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

If I start in B5 I'll be out of range for what I was planning.

Not that we have to go with my plan or anything, I'm just spit-balling here.

Okay I can start in B5, and switch up my orders a little bit.
I'll jump somewhere and then pull whichever one is most convenient to me. Only downside I'll be going slower - closer to 50% Initiative, but I'm hoping my combo of choices will give me flexibility.

No shields this turn, but if it all works out I can do that next turn before I get hit too many times!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Next turn I'll have my augment set up and I can help you lay out the hurtin'. I'm just kind of busy setting that up this turn so I'm basically working at half-speed.

But unless the fire demons pull some absolutely nightmarish card, you should only be tanking one hit.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
I don't think I'm going to do any real damage, as most of my attacks are only 3 damage. I'm just hoping I can position them favourably for us next turn!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Reik posted:

Their retaliate is range 2, so submissive affliction would be a strong play right at the start.

Their retaliate is, but submissive affliction isn't ;). It makes monsters do melee attacks, you can't make them shoot each other with it (that's where Hostile Takeover is an upgrade, but of course also a loss)

the right move is for Bullwinkle and Splinter to generally faff about endeavouring to pull or push demons within 3 of Rokcy while Rocky does Backup Ammo/Earth Clod followed by goggles, bow, Crater/Heaving Swing. Doublekill, no room for chance.
EDIT : to clarify, the above spoiler is me 100% backseat playing. Players should probably not read it.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 4, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

One of the kinds of demons are glass cannons, but I can't remember and I'm not gonna look it up... so uh, I guess this will be a learning experience for everyone!

I just submitted my orders for part A. Hope I don't gently caress up in front of the whole internet!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kafila posted:

Quick rules clarification - for Hook and Chain, does the retaliate go off after the attack but before the pull?

Retaliate occurs after the attack is fully resolved, which includes resolving the Pull. So, just like Push would prevent you from taking Retaliate, Pull will cause you to take additional Retaliate.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Retaliate occurs after the attack is fully resolved, which includes resolving the Pull. So, just like Push would prevent you from taking Retaliate, Pull will cause you to take additional Retaliate.

This is corrrect: Retaliate triggers after all effects of an attack have been applied. That said, you can elect not to PULL or PUSH when executing an attack, so you could choose to deal the damage but forgo the PULL - and if you are attacking from Range3+, you would be safe from the Demon's retaliation.

vvvvvvvvv That's also correct.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 4, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

But if you do choose to Pull or Push, you have to execute the full amount.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kobal2 posted:

Their retaliate is, but submissive affliction isn't ;). It makes monsters do melee attacks, you can't make them shoot each other with it (that's where Hostile Takeover is an upgrade, but of course also a loss)

the right move is for Bullwinkle and Splinter to generally faff about endeavouring to pull or push demons within 3 of Rokcy while Rocky does Backup Ammo/Earth Clod followed by goggles, bow, Crater/Heaving Swing. Doublekill, no room for chance.
EDIT : to clarify, the above spoiler is me 100% backseat playing. Players should probably not read it.

The bottom of submissive affliction has them make an attack 2 range +0 attack, and since flame demons are range 3-4 base it would be a ranged attack.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Reik posted:

The bottom of submissive affliction has them make an attack 2 range +0 attack, and since flame demons are range 3-4 base it would be a ranged attack.

Hey, you're right ! Could've sworn there wasn't a Range component to that trick. Then yeah, good trick to use there.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
I might be new to Craghart, but I just don't see a way of doing enough guaranteed damage to the Demons to kill them off though. Most of them requires obstacles?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I don't think anything's going to die this round, unless we get very lucky. Just try to focus on the same flame demon as Bullwinkle and I think I can neutralize mine before it gets to do anything.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Ok, I'll start C6, and muddle one of the demons. I misread the muddle card, I think I can't hit both at once since the target must be in the middle?
Orders submitted.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Eeepies posted:

Ok, I'll start C6, and muddle one of the demons. I misread the muddle card, I think I can't hit both at once since the target must be in the middle?
Orders submitted.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm assuming you're talking about Dirt Tornado? For an AOE attack like that, you can draw the AOE however you like, and as long as any one of the hexes contains an enemy then you're good.

In addition, the range of the attack is just the distance between you and any hex that's part of the attack. For instance, if you choose C3 as the bottom hex of the attack pattern (and C2 as the center) then as long as you take one step forward, you'll be within range of attacking both enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.

Phelddagrif posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm assuming you're talking about Dirt Tornado? For an AOE attack like that, you can draw the AOE however you like, and as long as any one of the hexes contains an enemy then you're good.

In addition, the range of the attack is just the distance between you and any hex that's part of the attack. For instance, if you choose C3 as the bottom hex of the attack pattern (and C2 as the center) then as long as you take one step forward, you'll be within range of attacking both enemies.

Yup, that's the attack i was thinking off. Thanks for the explanation.