Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Drake Nest, Round 3B

Pending actions from last Round posted:

- None!

27. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Xiahou Dun) posted:

Master Splinter suffers 1 WOUND damage!
Master Splinter is at 6 HP and is WOUNDED!
- Master Splinter uses Frigid Apparition (bot)! Moves2 to E4.
- Master Splinter uses Fearsome Blade (top)! No action taken!

32. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Kafila) posted:

Bullwinkle suffers 1 WOUND damage!
Bullwinkle is at 10 HP and is WOUNDED!
- Bullwinkle uses Warding Strength (bot)! Permanent bonus: On the next six sources of damage from attacks targeting you, gain Shield1 - Gain XP on 2nd, 4th and 6th trigger - LOSS
- Bullwinkle uses Trample (top)! Attacks Flame Demon 1(E) for 2 (3base, +1mod ,SHIELD4, PIERCE2) damage!
Flame Demon 1(E) is killed!

38. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Eeepies) posted:

- Rocky uses Earthen Clod (bot)! HEAL2 Bullwinkle!
Bullwinkle is at 12 HP, loses WOUNDED token.
- Rocky uses Backup Ammunition (top)! Persistent Bonus: On your next four ranged Attack actions, gain ADD TARGET - Gain XP1 each trigger - LOSS.

WOUND gets removed when the wounded character is healed, and the healing works normally, so it's usually a better status effect to be afflicted with, compared to POISON.

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- ICE is now inert.
- EARTH is now inert.

Active players if you are long resting next round, please send me 2 Rounds worth of orders! As always, we'll start the second turn and interrupt it once a character opens the door, to give you more information before sending your step B orders for Round 5.

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

That Italian Guy posted:

No worries guys, no one is getting fired over this :3:

Young man, go to your room and think about what you've just done :mad:

That Italian Guy posted:

WOUND gets removed when the wounded character is healed, and the healing works normally

... it's ok, we only did it wrong for an entire campaign.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kobal2 posted:

... it's ok, we only did it wrong for an entire campaign.

To be fair, I can see it as an easy mistake to make. The rules stress that poison blocks heals, but not that wound doesn't.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My group also played Wound incorrectly for basically our entire campaign.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just feel like that Wound and Poison should be flip flopped.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Are we all just taking a nap?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Yeah might as well before entering the next door

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
I've got one turn's worth of cards before resting, so could go and loot, but if you'd rather just rest this turn, that's also fine.

So who do we want to go through the door first? I think we probably want to keep the invisibility cloak for later, so shall I head through with a high move card, that if need be I can retreat out of LOS if it's not an advantageous setup for us to go rocking in?

Kafila fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 11, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SalTheBard posted:

I just feel like that Wound and Poison should be flip flopped.

Bleeding and burning make sense as periodic damage. Originally they were going to be separate effects but were combined into Wound, which explains the icon.

Whether Gloomhaven's poison makes sense to you depends on what other games you've played.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.

Kafila posted:

I've got one turn's worth of cards before resting, so could go and loot, but if you'd rather just rest this turn, that's also fine.

So who do we want to go through the door first? I think we probably want to keep the invisibility cloak for later, so shall I head through with a high move card, that if need be I can retreat out of LOS if it's not an advantageous setup for us to go rocking in?

I also have one turn's worth of cards left, so if the Mindthief has them as well, we can spend one turn looting, one turn sleeping, then entering the door.

I could enter first and muddle the stuff inside. With the AoE and range it should hit enough targets so that we can enter in a better condition.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Waiting for all three players's orders :)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah sorry. I think that was us not planning plus it being Saturday and thus lazy.

I think we should do the old rest and loot then someone should open the door. I’m happy to do it by popping invis in some fashion since I don’t have to use the cloak to do it, but I’m pretty flexible.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Yeah, let's loot 1 turn, rest 1 turn, then enter. Could you do the entering Xiahou Dun, as you can move first so that we can see what to do when we enter?

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010
I've submitted Step A, though I could easily also do step B and the long rest turn too.

TIG? What would you like?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Kafila posted:

I've submitted Step A, though I could easily also do step B and the long rest turn too.

TIG? What would you like?

Yes please as per my previous post:

quote:

Active players if you are long resting next round, please send me 2 Rounds worth of orders! As always, we'll start the second turn and interrupt it once a character opens the door, to give you more information before sending your step B orders for Round 5.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah sorry. I think that was us not planning plus it being Saturday and thus lazy.

It's ok (but it's Monday now :colbert:).

Waiting for the last orders and updating asap :)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sorry! Extremely my bad!

I meant to send orders last night and things got uh hectic.

Submitting now!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

No worries, real life comes first :)

Drake Nest, Round 4, 5, 6

- None!

Breaking out of the normal format till the door gets opened!

Drake Nest, Round 4 posted:

- Master Splinter: Suffers 1 WOUND damage; Long Rests, loses Submissive Affliction, HEALS2, self (loses WOUND token).
- Rocky: moves1 to C2, loots 1 coin token!
- Bullwinkle: moves1 to D2, loots 1 coin token!

Drake Nest, Round 5 posted:

- Master Splinter: plays Brain Leech and Possession, gains STRENGTHEN token.
- Rocky: Long Rest, loses Nature's Lift.
- Bullwinkle: Long Rest, loses Spare Dagger.

Drake Nest, Round 6A
Master Splinter (Hand6, Discarded2, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 14 with Into the Night and Scurry.

14. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief (Xiahou Dun) posted:

code:
"INTO THE NIGHT (14) [Lvl1]
TOP: LOOT1 - Generate DARK
BOT: INVISIBLE self"

"SCURRY (20) [Lvl1]
TOP: MOVE(4) - ATK1
BOT: LOOT2 - XP1 - LOSS"
Rocky (Hand9, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 28 with Explosive Punch and Dirt Tornado.

28. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Eeepies) posted:

code:
"EXPLOSIVE PUNCH (28) [Lvl2]
TOP: Destroy one adjacent obstacle -ATK4, Target all enemies adjacent to the destroyed obstacle - 2XP - LOSS
BOT: Move4"

"DIRT TORNADO (82) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK1, Range2, AOE (check image), Consume EARTH:+1ATK, XP1 
- MUDDLE all allies and enemies in the targeted area.
BOT: Move 3"
Bullwinkle (Hand8, Discarded0, Active1, Lost1) is acting at initiative 40 with Fatal Advance and Balanced Measures.

40. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Kafila) posted:

code:
"FATAL ADVANCE (40) [Lvl2]
TOP: Kill one adjacent normal enemy - 2XP - LOSS
BOT: Move 4"

"BALANCED MEASURES (77) [Lvlx]
TOP: ATK* where * is the number of hexes you have moved so far this turn - XP1
BOT: MOVE* where * is the amount of damage you have inflicted so far this turn"

Drake Nest, Round 6B

- Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves4 to door hex.

This room is soooo full of poo poo. Also, remember that the Spitting Drake and the Demons have Fly on their stat cards, so they won't be affected by the old "invisible in the door hex" trick - since they can just fly over the invisible rat-shaped obstacle. Ah, also good news: you can't have more than 1 "stack" of WOUND or POISON at the same time! Absolutely no reason for me to bring this up right now, no sir!

During this phase, players are free to discuss everything itt, including in depth round breakdown, tactics, and so on; you can use specific card names and numerical values since everything has been revealed already. Everyone itt is also encouraged to take part in the discussion (although the last word is, ofc, reserved for the active players. Be nice! :) Active players, please discuss your ideas itt and provide your final orders via PM/Email!

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST
:getin:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 13, 2019

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
First reaction: Wtf is this bullshit room and enemies?
Second reaction: Wait, I can't hit anything with Dirt Tornado
Third reaction: I guess I can if the Mindthief steps back using Move 2 instead of turning invisible
Fourth reaction: Thank goodness the other 2 monsters aren't moving.

Xiahou Dun, are you ok with stepping back instead of turning invisible so that the drakes move forward, clumping them in a cone in front of our door?

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

Eeepies posted:

First reaction: Wtf is this bullshit room and enemies?
Second reaction: Wait, I can't hit anything with Dirt Tornado
Third reaction: I guess I can if the Mindthief steps back using Move 2 instead of turning invisible
Fourth reaction: Thank goodness the other 2 monsters aren't moving.

Xiahou Dun, are you ok with stepping back instead of turning invisible so that the drakes move forward, clumping them in a cone in front of our door?

Okay this is some bullshit, but I think there's some good news and we can still turn this room around quickly!

For the rest of Splinter's turn, I suggest they back up, away from danger using a default move 2 to E2 (for example)

The Rending Drakes should end up in C8 D7 E8

Then on Rocky's turn they move to D1, drop the dirt tornado with the bottom of the AOE on the door hex. That will hit all three of the drakes.

Both Flame demons and Spitting Drakes aren't moving and have no targets.

Then I'll charge using boots to end up on the door hex. I'll use my Axe to turn my Attack 6 into a cleave, and hit two of them for 6 each + modifiers. That should leave us with two dead drakes this turn, and the other muddled.

And we don't take any damage from their bullshit!

What do you think?

Kafila fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 13, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rending Drakes are, for my money, the biggest assholes in this game.

Oozes are a close second in certain scenarios.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Some Numbers posted:

Rending Drakes are, for my money, the biggest assholes in this game.

Oozes are a close second in certain scenarios.
Yeah we hadn't really seen much of them and then didn't give them quite enough respect once we did.

Sun
There are limits to how much I can tank, it turns out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Do you see why I whined like a small child getting a shot when this scenario was picked? Do you see now?

Sorry again about being the bottleneck for no turns coming out. My bad.

I'd planned on going invis, but I'm happy to just back up into the room if my team-mates prefer.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah we hadn't really seen much of them and then didn't give them quite enough respect once we did.

Sun
There are limits to how much I can tank, it turns out.

With some other things you can eventually get it high enough. It's very emotionally satisfying to walk into a bunch of Rending Drakes and not suffer any damage.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

With some other things you can eventually get it high enough. It's very emotionally satisfying to walk into a bunch of Rending Drakes and not suffer any damage.

If things work out, I intend to get the last drake to retaliate themselves to death off me next turn.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ahhh, Drakes, the Status Effect Assholes of this game (along with another enemy type I don't think we have encountered yet), except they're also high damage. As you can see, this room has the potential to wound, poison, and muddle you right off the bat, and Rending Drakes like to attack multiple times to take advantage of Spitting Drake poison effects. So glad I'm not piloting anybody in this scenario!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Rending Drakes have low initiative, cover a ton of ground, hit like trucks, hit multiple times and inflict Wound.

It's a perfect storm of absolute BS.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Don't forget that many monsters also get extra conditions on individual cards that can make matters even worse. I'm not going to spoil the contents of any action decks we've not seen, so I'll just say that a melee monster that can immobilize or disarm or stun can also spoil your day. Rending Drakes could be worse in that regard.

The one weak spot on Drakes is that they tend to be a bit slower movement-wise than their stat-block would indicate. But they're hardly Living Corpses or Earth Demons, and the Spitters fly. Nevertheless, kiting them or fleeing (if the victory condition allows) can be effective, and you can probably get a mixed group of Spitting and Rending Drakes to separate some if you have enough running space. (Granted, Rending Drakes on their own are bad enough.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yup!

I wasn't kidding, my group really does the whole "Who are those guy?" thing every time we fight drakes. They're the worst.

That said :

I offer Bullwinkle as tribute in the hopes that the drakes spare me.

(I'm gonna just use the bottom of Into the Night as a normal move back into the room. I'll send in orders later tonight but that's basically the gist of it.)

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Question: Can I Dirt Tornado two different spaces using Backup Ammunition, but hitting the same monsters?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Narsham posted:

Don't forget that many monsters also get extra conditions on individual cards that can make matters even worse.

There's actually an example of this right here. The Spitting Drakes don't actually poison innately, only muddle, at least at this level (I forget it higher level ones add that in). Their current AI card adds the poison condition to their attack.

Kafila
Mar 27, 2010

Eeepies posted:

Question: Can I Dirt Tornado two different spaces using Backup Ammunition, but hitting the same monsters?

You can't target any monster that's already been hit by the initial aoe. Unfortunately.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Kafila posted:

You can't target any monster that's already been hit by the initial aoe. Unfortunately.

Exactly. You can think about it as added target not, an extra attack. You can't hit the same target twice with a single attack.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Also, you don't get a second AoE, you get a single additional target.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Also, you don't get a second AoE, you get a single additional target.

Whoops. I thought that seemed really good.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Drake Nest, Round 6B

- None!

- Master Splinter uses Scurry (top)! Moves1 to D1.
- Master Splinter uses Into the Night (bot as a basic MOVE2)! Moves2 to E3.

*13. Rending Drakes posted:

- Rending Drake 1 focuses Rocky! Moves3 to E8.
- Rending Drake 4 focuses Rocky! Moves3 to C8.
- Rending Drake 5 focuses Rocky! Moves3 to D7.

27. Spitting Drakes posted:

- Spitting Drake 5 focuses Rocky!

28. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart (Eeepies) posted:

- Rocky uses Explosive Punch (bot)! Moves1 to D1.
- Rocky uses Dirt Tornado (top)! Attacks Rending Drake 4 for 3 (1base, +2mod) damage! Attacks Rending Drake 5 for 2 (1base, +1mod) damage! Attacks Rending Drake 1 for 0 (1base, -1mod) damage! Backup Ammunition's 1st trigger! Gains 1XP.
Reding Drake 4 is at 4 HP and is MUDDLED!
Reding Drake 5 is at 5 HP and is MUDDLED!
Reding Drake 1 is at 7 HP and is MUDDLED!

Rocky kickin' up a lot of dust!

40. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute (Kafila) posted:

- Bullwinkle uses Fatal Advance (bot)! Activates Boots of Striding! Moves6 to door hex through C2, B2, B1, C1, D1.
- Bullwinkle uses Balanced Measures (top)! Activates Battle-Axe! Attacks Rending Drake 4 for 8 (6base, +2mod) damage! Attacks Rending Drake 5 for 9 (6base, +3mod) damage! Gains 1XP.
Rending Drake 4 is killed!
Rending Drake 5 is killed!

:fuckoff::fuckoff:
By the way, having performed this feat of Strength, Bullwinkle will be ready to retire next time we get back in town :)

46. Flame Demons posted:

- Flame Demon 3 focuses Bullwinkle!
- Flame Demon 5 focuses Bullwinkle!

END OF ROUND ACTIONS posted:

- (Scenario Objective) Drakes killed: 2/12

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
I am going to take a high-initiative turn so that Bullwinkle can clear the way first. Most likely heading to one of the doors to open and spawn more drakes so that they flock towards us.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
RIP Bullwinkle. Also :black101: Bullwinkle

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm so hype to see our first retirement!

And it is so satisfying when Boots of Striding+Balanced Measure+Battle Axe does that much work. It never gets old.

:rock:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:munch: Can we retroactively have Bull hit the one with the highest HP and leave the one with 4 alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like since it was an attack for 6, hitting the 5 and 4 hp was the right idea. They only did 8 and 9 damage because they happened to flip a +2 and +3.