Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I nominate Ash for actual MVP. Pikachu was very lazy, and deserves no recognition for his sloth. :)

e: For serious, though, Omobono was a great player with a keen eye for tactics, and I vote him.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

dwarf74 posted:

I nominate Ash for actual MVP. Pikachu was very lazy, and deserves no recognition for his sloth. :)

:hmmyes:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Bear is always the MVP

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
City Management X, Update 1

Battle Goals posted:

These are the Battle Goals that have been picked by our players for Scenario 16.
- Master Splinter: PerforatedLose 6 or more hit points in a single round. AtomikKrab has managed to accomplish the Battle Goal! BG Completed, +1 Checkmark. +1 PERK!
- Rocky:Retaliator"Don't make any attacks in the scenario until after you've taken damage for the first time." Omobono has managed to accomplish the Battle Goal! BG Completed, +1 Checkmark.
- Pikachu:Sociable"Never leave a room with a character ally remaining in it." Kafila has managed to accomplish the Battle Goal! BG Completed, +1 Checkmark.

Final Stats posted:

Each coin token at Scenario level=2 is worth 3 gold. Updated $$$ and XP for our party are as follows:
- Master Splinter: +16XP. (New Total 171XP) and +15 gold (New Total 33 gold).
- Rocky:+21XP. (New Total 172XP) and +6 gold (New Total 33 gold).
- Pikachu:+17XP. (New Total 112XP) and +9 gold (New Total 9 gold).
Updated Sheets

Our heroes are back in Gloomhaven. While they're in the City, something happens...

City Event 4 posted:

I'm not even going to pretend this is going to be a choice ("we have enough potions already", sure) - especially cause this time I'm running all the City updates in a big clump and this would interfere with the remaining Money Matters decisions.

City Event 41, resolution posted:

Effect: Pay 10 collective Gold, get 1 Major Stamina Potion.

Incidentally, this is the City Event that was added to the deck after we've unlocked the Beast Tyrant; we had 1 in 22 chances to get it! We'll have to decide who will pay the gold and who will get the Potion! We should also decide if we want to houserule that all items with the same name but a different degree of potency (IE: Minor and Major Stamina Potion) count as "the same" item for the purpose of duplication.

Let's discuss where our party should head to next! Since we've unlocked a bunch of stuff, I'm going to take advantage of a nice webapp called Gloomhaven Scenario Tree that allows us to keep track of everything we've completed, unlocked, lost access to or currently unable to visit. If you want to import the current progress into your webapp, just copy/paste the content of Cell F2 from the "Player List" sheet.

NOTE: we only know the basic creature and tiles composition for a Scenario at first; if we choose to pick one, I'll provide additional details (such as the map layout, creatures stat cards - and ability deck if we've met them before - and always active Scenario Effects).

Available Scenario Locations posted:

- We've found the location of the Clockwork Cove (66) in a treasure chest in Scenario 1. As the name implies, we would face constructs, traps and puzzles. This is a Side Scenario. This is what we can expect from the Scenario:

- Now that we have bested the Mountain Pass, we may want to investigate this...voice in the Echo Chamber before venturing forth.

- Otherwise, we could ignore the voice and attempt to tackle the Icecrag Ascent.

- The coin we've got as a payment from the Savvas merchant shows the way to something called The Temple of the Eclipse (81). Plenty of weird stuff over there, for sure! Also it is a BOSS scenario, so if we manage to complete that successfully Rocky will be satisfied with its adventures and retire, spending its days drinking rock based cocktails and chasing young lads away from his ornamental zen garden or something. This is a Side Scenario. This is a Boss Scenario.

- Exploring the previous Crypt, we've found another location where the Cult may take shelter. If we are brave enough, we can venture into the Ruinous Crypt (5), where we'll face more Cultists, more Skellingtons and a cured selection of elemental Demons!

- We have been helping Jekserah against the Cult, but who's to say we can't spread out our love to every single necromancer in the land? If we want to gather favour with the Cult, we can try to clear up the Decaying Crypt (6) from the masterless undead that currently reside there.

- We can now access the Ancient Cistern (26) and discover what was poisoning the City well, since we have access to Water-Breathing magic!

- If we want to do the same but take the long way to get there, we could venture down into the Deep Ruins (23).

- As suggested, we could also try any Scenario we've unlocked (including ones we've already faced) in Casual Mode. Players can still gain experience and money, loot treasure tiles, complete battle goals, and make progress toward completing their personal quests (for example, Rocky could retire if we face a BOSS Scenario in Casual mode and we win), but any story text or rewards listed at the end of the scenario are disregarded. Contrary to normal game play, we'll encounter City/Road events in Casual mode as well - to make things easier to manage and display more content. If we pick Casual Mode I'll add something to spice it up - most likely we'll get to see some of the other unlocked characters for a "Rocky and Friends VS an old Boss" adventure.
Wherever we're going, we'll have to get on the Road to get there!

Road Event 01 posted:

PLEASE VOTE FOR THE FOLLOWING THINGS (and please remember to bold your choices):
- 1) MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario 16
- 2) Master Splinter's NEW PERK[/b]. The list can be found in his character's sheet just above.
- 3a) Who should pay for the Major Stamina Potion, 3b) who should get it and 3c) how we should treat similarly named items for the purpose of uniqueness.
- 4) Our next destination!
- 5) Road event outcome A or B!
- 6) Money matters! Please specify if you want someone to buy/sell an item; the current Market pool is available HERE. Also, please if you want someone to donate 10 gold to the Sacred Oak Sanctuary, please remember to specify who!
- 7) Should we bump the difficulty setting to Hard (+1).

A big thank you to our players, AtomikKrab, Omobono and dwarf74! Hope you had fun. I'll reach out to Kobal2, FairGame and Reik to let them know they're up next.) E: PMs out!

EDIT: also as previously announced, I'm going to be in Germany for the Essen Spiel boardgame fair till next Monday, so we will have some time to decide on these things :)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 22, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. Ash
2. +Stun

3a. Rocky
3b. Pikachu
3c.
no idea
4. 81- Temple of the Eclipse Let's get Rocky retired
5. B
6. Splinter donates 10g
7. Yes

Slaan fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 22, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Splinter should take the Remove four +4 cards perk
Rocky should pay for the potion and give it to Pikachu.
No houserule on major/minor If we want to try and fix stamina potions, the -1 card as suggested by Isaac might be a better choice.
Scenario 81, get rocky retired
Road event B
Splinter and Rocky both donate 10g

I feel like the three participants should be the ones to vote on the difficulty. I'm okay with Hard or Very Hard myself, but if someone is new to the game I wouldn't want them to get overwhelmed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Reik posted:

I feel like the three participants should be the ones to vote on the difficulty. I'm okay with Hard or Very Hard myself, but if someone is new to the game I wouldn't want them to get overwhelmed.

This is a good point and we can probably implement it easily enough.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Just for the record, I'm dwarf74 not Kafila ;)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Just for the record, I'm dwarf74 not Kafila ;)

:o:

Stupid copy/paste. Sorry about that!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I’m fine with plus one difficulty. Accidentally miscalculated in my home game and played two scenarios WELL before we were ready to bump it up. Might as well have the same experience here!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I honestly would not suggest Scenario 81 as the thread's first dip into +1 difficulty. Our group has attempted that scenario three times (at +0 difficulty) and been unable to beat it. To say why would be spoiler territory, but it's already one of the harder scenarios in the game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

I honestly would not suggest Scenario 81 as the thread's first dip into +1 difficulty. Our group has attempted that scenario three times (at +0 difficulty) and been unable to beat it. To say why would be spoiler territory, but it's already one of the harder scenarios in the game.
Yes, it's terrible. There's a few locked classes where it's basically their playground, but none of them are in the party. (And the boss is ... bad. Real bad. And this particular team can do nothing to stop his nonsense.)

1) MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario 16 - Either Ash eating two Wind Demons, or Rocky pushing two Guards into traps
2) Master Splinter's NEW PERK. The list can be found in his character's sheet just above. Remove 4 x +0 Abstain; lots of folks here are pretty keen about getting the +2/Ice first, so I will stay out of it.
3a) Who should pay for the Major Stamina Potion, 3b) who should get it and 3c) how we should treat similarly named items for the purpose of uniqueness. Pikachu can chip in 9 of the gold, or split 3 ways; Pikachu should get it. Agreed that if we are going to house-rule, go down to -1 per potion rather than 'uniqueness', but it's cool waiting for that until we officially unlock that Major Stamina potion.
4) Our next destination! Echo Chamber because one of the scenarios it unlocks is Maximum Comedy with a Beast Tyrant.
5) Road event outcome A or B! Option B! Maybe Pikachu can talk to the wolves maybe?
6) Money matters! Please specify if you want someone to buy/sell an item; the current Market pool is available HERE. Also, please if you want someone to donate 10 gold to the Sacred Oak Sanctuary, please remember to specify who! No opinion
7) Should we bump the difficulty setting to Hard (+1). Leave it up to the group playing that scenario, but "Yes" as a default option.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 23, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

Splinter should take the Remove four +4 cards perk
Rocky should pay for the potion and give it to Pikachu.
No houserule on major/minor If we want to try and fix stamina potions, the -1 card as suggested by Isaac might be a better choice.
Scenario 81, get rocky retired
Road event B
Splinter and Rocky both donate 10g

Seconding all these votes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Only voting the Road event

We have a BEAR. and we are going to be afraid of woofs?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah, I don't think we can outrun a wolf pack. Find the closest approximation to defensive ground nearby and take a stand.

1) I already did this earlier, it's Pikachu.

2) add the +2/ice modifier. 0 modifiers are still decent, removing them decreases consistency because now the negatives and the miss are a bigger part of the deck. If Splinter gets another perk before retiring the remove 4 zeros should be the best option remaining.

What's the standard modifier deck composition before perks by the way?

3a,b and c) Houserule no stacking Stam potions (holy poo poo 3+2 recovered cards is bananas), whoever gets it covers part of the gold by selling his or her own minor potion, Rocky covers the rest.

4) That boss scenario looks painful, I'd like to discover Sun and/or Night demons first to see what they can do. Let's go for an amazing underwater adventure in the Ancient Cistern. Hopefully it unlocks another boss.

5) Option B. As I said, no outrunning quadrupeds as armor-wearing bipeds. Unless Pikachu can ride Ash and abandon the others to their fate.

6) I don't think Pikachu needs anything at the moment, so he should save for enhancements for his Goal.

7) Bump the difficulty to +1, but give the active players the option to delay the bump by one scenario.
If Kobal2, Fairgame and Reik think they got this we can go ahead, otherwise we can delay the pain.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Omobono posted:

What's the standard modifier deck composition before perks by the way?

Going from memory here, but I'm pretty sure it's:
One x2
One null
One +2
One -2
Five +1
Five -1
Six +0

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Zack Ater posted:

Going from memory here, but I'm pretty sure it's:
One x2
One null
One +2
One -2
Five +1
Five -1
Six +0

That's right.

1) Ash for MVP
2) Add a +2 (ice) card
3) No preference
4) No preference
5) B, I guess
6) Rocky and Splinter should donate
7) Leave it up to the active group

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
MVP: The Bear
New Perk: Remove 4 +0s
Event: 5 each from Mindthief and Cragheart, give the Potion to Beast Tyrant, no uniqueness.
Destination: Icecrag Ascent
Road Event: Let them come, the Bear is hungry.
Money: Mindthief and Beast Tyrant donate.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you assume the 2x and null cancel each other out, the base deck has an expected value of 0/20 = 0.

Splinters current deck has an expected value of 8/17 = 0.47

If we remove four +0, the expected value will be 8/13 = 0.61

If we add a +2, the expected value will be 10/18 = 0.56

With our current perks, the only negative cards in our deck are a single -1 and the null. Even after removing four of our +0s we'll still only get a negative modifier 2 out of 13 times.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm looking at variance, not expected value. The lower variance option ought to have also lower expected value in a well-designed system, otherwise where's the choice?

This is absolutely personal preference, but in a game relying so much on planning I'd rather have somewhat lower but more consistent damage than higher damage with more risk.

Still, the better the rest of the deck gets the more powerful removing 4 zeros become. I think we're right at the edge and I'd choose it over the rolling modifiers (the stun one or muddle+disarm is tempting but I don't think Splinter will get there).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Oh hey ! I get to play the filthy rat thing !

Now, votes :
1) Abstain
2) add +2/Ice
3) Splinter
should get it I think. He's the one with the least cards, Rocky will leave soon-ish and Ash has easier access to rests because the bear keeps loving poo poo up even when she sleeps.
4) 66 Clockwork cove. I still want to know what those cogs are about ! I would have voted 81 for lulz at the expense of the players, but I'm one of the players now so this choice is objectively bad and wrong.
5) B. This feels like one of those "heads you lose, tails you don't win" events and I'd rather we started with lower HP than with fewer cards due to exhaustion from running away.
6) Abstain. It's been a while since I kept up with the thread, don't feel like I'm qualified to have an opinion there
7) Yes unless we're running 81 next in which case my vote should be amended to NONONONOFUCKNOAREYOUHIGH?!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Reik posted:

If you assume the 2x and null cancel each other out, the base deck has an expected value of 0/20 = 0.

Splinters current deck has an expected value of 8/17 = 0.47

If we remove four +0, the expected value will be 8/13 = 0.61

If we add a +2, the expected value will be 10/18 = 0.56

With our current perks, the only negative cards in our deck are a single -1 and the null. Even after removing four of our +0s we'll still only get a negative modifier 2 out of 13 times.

Strict value math is one thing (and thanks for doing it BTW), but it doesn't include the Ice which is what I like most about the card and is harder to evaluate. Ice is XP and Stun. Stun is Good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
OK, I've changed my Splinter vote from "Remove 4x +0" to Abstain. I understand the consistency angle - it's the same decision I made with my own Cragheart for a while re: that same perk. I think both are solid choices, now, and while I expect the +0's will have more of an immediate impact, ice is always good.

Scenario 81: If you folks do this one - and it looks like the votes may be there - I would recommend playing on +0 (or maybe even -1) this time around. Still, it'd be fun to watch and heckle. :)

This dungeon is particularly hard on certain characters, and while the Tyrant will be mostly fine, it will be very bad for both Splinter and Rocky. The 2nd room can potentially be real bad times for bear, but bear damage is always welcome.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I'm back! And I've met someone while in Essen...

City Management X, Update 2

Votes! posted:

- 1) Pikachu&Ash are MVP for Scenario 16 :agesilaus:
- 2) Master Splinter's NEW PERK is Remove four +0 cards. (the vote was tied, but dwarf74 had changed their vote from this to abstention, so I've used it as a tie breaker).
- 3a) Rocky will pay for the Major Stamina Potion (23g left) and Pikachu will get it. We won't houserule anything for now; if it becomes broken, we will switch to Isaac's suggested solution (-1 recovered card for each level of Stamina Potion).
- 4) We're going to attempt Scenario 81- Temple of the Eclipse.
- 5) We're picking Road Event B.
- 6) Rocky and Splinter both donate 10g to the Sanctuary. (new totals: 13g and 23g respectively, +2BLESS cards each) +1 Prosperity tick (4 to new Prosperity Level).
- 7) We will let each party decide if they want to bump the difficulty setting to Hard (+1).
While on the Road to the next Scenario...

Road Event 1, resolution posted:

Effect: Each start scenario with 3 damage.
Not only this is a lovely outcome, but we also have to add it back at the bottom of the deck...Notably, Ash is immune to this - since he's not a character and also cause he gets only summoned at the start of a Scenario.

Let's examine our next destination: by following the clues from the coin we got from a Savvas at the Market, we have decided to go to Scenario 81 - Temple of the Eclipse

Scenario 81 - Temple of the Eclipse - Location posted:

NOTE: it looks like the map stickers were lost in the mod corruption problem I had awhile ago. Luckily for us, all the stickers are available in digital format on BGG, so we'll use those from now on.

This is what a sticker from the IRL box looks like. The Temple of the Eclipse is the North-most point in the Dagger Forest.

Scenario 81 - Temple of the Eclipse - Features posted:

These are the details we know about Scenario 16 before starting it:
Links to:nothing!
Requirements: None.
Goal: Kill the Colorless.
Tiles in the Scenario:

Map Layout:

Scenario 81 - Temple of the Eclipse - Creatures posted:

These are the stats for this Scenario's creatures:

These are the ability decks for the creatures we've already faced in battle before.
NOTE: these are the "in the box" cards. We normally use the app ones, that automatically make the necessary calculations for us; the various "+1", "-1", etc are to be applied to the base value for that stat on the monster card. So if the base value is "Attack 4", an "Attack -1" ability card would mean that, for that round, the monster has an Attack value of 3.
***We know nothing! I'm certain these are all no-BS***
NOTE: certain monster archetypes share a common deck. The combination of unique stat cards and shared ability decks allows the game to feel even larger than it already is!

Scenario 81 - Temple of the Eclipse - Introduction posted:

On your way to the location indicated by the Aesther, dark clouds loom over you. A light drizzle begins to fall as you approach a small temple hidden in the Dagger Forest. The building seems abandoned, but once you are inside, you are transfixed by a fascinating sight: an eternal twilight sky spans over you. Caught between night and day, the room is illuminated by a strange glow. A quick survey of your surroundings, however, indicates that you are not welcome. Demons of light and shadow approach.

Scenario Special Rules
At the start of every round, move the Light and Dark elemental tokens to the Strong column, and move the Fire, Ice, Wind, and Earth elemental tokens to the Inert column.
- Looting the first treasure tile gives the character the Crystal of Zenith.
- Looting the second treasure tile gives the character the Sphere of Midnight.
These are not items, but having them will be useful in the scenario.

Players spaw tiles are marked with a STRENGTHEN token.
Kobal2, FairGame and Kafila please provide:
- Your hand selection for this Scenario (please specify what you are removing and what you are adding, if you change something);
- Pick one of the Battle Goals provided in the PM;
- Your starting location. You can freely discuss this itt.
- Let me know if you want to bump the difficulty (I have defaulted to a "no for Scenario 81", but feel free to change this if you want to).

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Scenario Special Rules
At the start of every round, move the Light and Dark elemental tokens to the Strong column, and move the Fire, Ice, Wind, and Earth elemental tokens to the Inert column.

Wow this seems bs.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Eeepies posted:

Scenario Special Rules

Wow this seems bs.

Wait till you see what the relevant demons do with that...
Speaking of, fellow players, we're all agreed on not upping the difficulty for the upcoming dumpster fire, right ?

Also, called it on the road event !

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, I'm okay with sticking with +0 difficulty for scenario 81.

I feel like we gotta try and blow up the Night Demon before they go since they only have 6 health and then stun or disarm the elite sun demon.

Reik fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 29, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Eeepies posted:

Scenario Special Rules

Wow this seems bs.

It completely fucks some classes to the point that you shouldn't bother bringing them.

Even if you can use Light or Dark you still have to fight the monsters for them.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Reik posted:

Yeah, I'm okay with sticking with +0 difficulty for scenario 81.

I feel like we gotta try and blow up the Night Demon before they go since they only have 6 health and then stun or disarm the elite sun demon.

That's a generally solid plan, the only concern being that the NDs can do something very dumb, very fast that'll nix it in the bud. Have a plan B.
EDIT : NM, forgot the card sticker. Yeah I can disable SD no problem. I'll need to start in E3 however. Is that OK with you guys ?

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 29, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Eeepies posted:

Scenario Special Rules

Wow this seems bs.
It is amazing levels of BS. It's one of the harshest scenario rules in the game, IMO, made worse by the Sun and Night demons. And because the party has no good way to burn either element (unless Splinter has some dark-sucking in her arsenal?), it's basically just an elemental playground for the baddies. The lack of Earth and Ice is going to really seriously hurt both Rocky and Splinter, and I don't know if anyone even has a mana potion to ease the pain. :)

The 'good' news is that Ash and Pikachu don't care; they don't interact with the element deck with how we built them. Their raw damage output may be enough to carry it?

I dunno, this whole scenario is a nightmare unless you have an extremely specific party composition, which we don't. It's still hard even with a good party composition.

In my home game, it was the first outing for a new character who relies a whole lot on the element deck. Triforce; he did not have a good time.

So uh... Good luck guys! Glad it's not me in this one!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dwarf74 posted:

(unless Splinter has some dark-sucking in her arsenal?)

Nnnnope. None of us can eat the elements. And I agree that this scenario is marginally easier when you can do that - either with dark/light classes or the Spellweaver who, while this scenario shits on her preferred elemental focuses, also has a number of ways to use "any element" to good effect.

quote:

In my home game, it was the first outing for a new character who relies a whole lot on the element deck. Triforce; he did not have a good time.

Ha. Haha. Haahhahahahahhahahaha. Yeah that'd be... yes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kobal2 posted:

Ha. Haha. Haahhahahahahhahahaha. Yeah that'd be... yes.
Yeah at level 4, it was a riot. At level 7 on the other hand, it might have been pretty fun. We were not there.

We ran it again later on - the party composition was Two Minis, Sun, Angry Face, and Cthulhu. We thought we should rock it with that setup - and we still just barely pulled it out; this is just a hard scenario.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Well the Cragheart can make the traps in the second room meaningless and save everyone a lot of movement by moving the obstacles. And the Cragheart isn't hurt too badly by lack of earth element.

The worst part though is the last room because if the boss goes invisible over and over again you're just hosed.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

*reads scenario rules*
*reads boss special 1*
:stonklol:

I propose we and come back with light and dark consuming classes.

Godspeed you goons. Keep this poo poo at +0 or even -1 and may the RNG gods be with you.

Also seriously gently caress those demons simply on the BS statline. I can't wait for what poo poo they can pull with permanent elements up.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 29, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
The first time we did it we got rolled exceedingly hard in the boss room and it became this sort of running gag whenever we couldn't decide which scenario to do next - "we could always go back to the Violent Rapists' Social Club ?"
We eventually did go back around level 6 or 7, and I think we had already enabled the most bullshit character combo then as well ? Chtulhu + Music Note. All curse & muddle all the time, never get hit by mobs ever again. I don't really remember. I know we did have Sun and Eclipse which obviously made things a lot easier.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Omobono posted:

*reads scenario rules*
*reads boss special 1*
:stonklol:
Also check out that Boss HP, there. Now imagine that boss HP after you deal with the nightmarish gauntlet before that final room! And don't disregard Boss Special 2; combined with Special 1, it's a heck of a combination.

This scenario is one of the hardest, like, three in the game. Marcel (the scenario designer here) was trying to convince people it was not just perfectly balanced, but also technically on the easy side given the monsters' point values over on BGG a while back. And more or less blamed Isaac for expanding the number of Special cards bosses can draw when their deck was increased from 6 to 8 cards.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I think Marcel's Scenarios are universally considered worse than Isaac's ones (see the expansion).

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Hi friends, I'm the Cragheart this time around. My plan is to move as fast as a cragheart can so that these two badguys look at my initiative and say "I should attack him first". I've got the HP to soak it even with that bad road event, and I have A PLAN.

e: Kobal2, I'd want to start in E3 as well since that way I should be target of both enemies. If I can't take E3 then I'll take the front row spot nearest the NORMAL enemy.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kobal2 posted:

I know we did have Sun and Eclipse which obviously made things a lot easier.

I'm assuming Sun and Eclipse can consume light/dark more or less on demand? Because I think the constant elemental infusion is going to be the straw on the camel's back.

In addition, on-demand, no prerequisites invisibility doesn't belong to enemies, let alone bosses. Some mechanics should be accessible only to players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

FairGame posted:

e: Kobal2, I'd want to start in E3 as well since that way I should be target of both enemies. If I can't take E3 then I'll take the front row spot nearest the NORMAL enemy.

The reason I'd like E3 is because unless Some Bullshit happens I don't plan on moving at all ; and that's the only hex from which I can work my best Not Some Bullshit Happening plan. Which *should* prevent my taking any hits and limit the need for you to tank unless there's some other bullshit I've forgotten about.