Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

We did it! We got The Sad Coin! :v:

The coin is happy now! It has a home!

And there was much rejoicing!

:munch: Splinter should have 12 + 18 = 30 gold?

City Event: Option A
Brute perk: Ignore item effects.
Brute buys Hide Armor and Cragheart buys Goggles.
MVP: Bullwinkle's turn 6 for believing in the heart of the cards.

Maybe we should buy a Poison Dagger for Splinter? The group doesn't have a good way to apply poison, and it can be a helpful status effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Elephant Ambush posted:

VOTES:

MVP = Rocky for that buffed Dirt Tornado in the doorway that annihilated stuff and tore up the stuff that didn't die. That whole part of the scenario would have been way harder if that hadn't happened.

Bullwinkle's perk = Ignore negative item effects and add a +1

Shopping = Bullwinkle should buy Hide Armor. Rocky should buy Eagle Eye Goggles. It's so good with Backup Ammo!

Sanctuary donation = I vote that Master Splinter donate. There is nothing in the shop that will make any meaningful difference in power level in the near future and enhancements won't be available for a long time so let's try to accelerate to Prosperity 2.

City Event: Help the person! Option A.

All this

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The Poison Dagger sucks. It is not worth the cost. That gold is better spent on donations or saving for Prosperity 2 items.

I'd love to have Boots of Striding for Splinter but they're both already taken so que sera. :shrug:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I agree the Poison Dagger usually sucks, but does it suck less if the group has no methods of applying poison?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Reik posted:

I agree the Poison Dagger usually sucks, but does it suck less if the group has no methods of applying poison?

Poison is best for negating shields and both Rocky and Bullwinkle have ways of doing that.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Poison is best for negating shields and both Rocky and Bullwinkle have ways of doing that.

It's also good for stopping monsters that heal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The best status effect is "dead". :getin:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Without getting in to spoiler territory, I just don't know what else I'd put in the Mindthief's hand slots. A Warhammer is only solid if you've got a multi-target attack. Maybe a Piercing bow to turn Empathetic Assault in to a "delete target high shield enemy within range 4" option?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I have forgot to put the event outcome up, but if I intended to. Please continue voting on it :)

EDIT:

Reik posted:

:munch: Splinter should have 12 + 18 = 30 gold?
This has also been fixed!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 24, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My first character ever was a Mindthief and I never needed hand weapons other than some of the stuff found in chests and those were just gravy.

If anyone should have a bow it's Rocky. Again, Backup Ammo owns and against multiple high shield enemies it's all like :hellyeah:. Goggles first though IMO.

But you know what? I'm quarterbacking here and I apologise. If the majority votes for something different then it will be interesting to see just how wrong I was :v:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reik posted:

Without getting in to spoiler territory, I just don't know what else I'd put in the Mindthief's hand slots. A Warhammer is only solid if you've got a multi-target attack. Maybe a Piercing bow to turn Empathetic Assault in to a "delete target high shield enemy within range 4" option?

Depending on how large the group is, picking up a shield can be useful if only to lower the odds of having to lose a card to damage. There are some other viable options for the hand slot but they are all spoilers.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Poison Dagger is not very good. First, it goes on your attack, meaning you have to hit and not kill an enemy for it to matter. Second, for it to make a difference, you have to not overkill an enemy, because otherwise the extra damage is just wasted. Most enemies go down on 2 to 3 hits, so an extra 1 to 2 damage that may not even matter is not great. It has a use against elites and bosses, but doesn't justify its cost.

I'd rather start donating so we can open the envelope.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Elephant Ambush posted:

VOTES:

MVP = Rocky for that buffed Dirt Tornado in the doorway that annihilated stuff and tore up the stuff that didn't die. That whole part of the scenario would have been way harder if that hadn't happened.

Bullwinkle's perk = Ignore negative item effects and add a +1

Shopping = Bullwinkle should buy Hide Armor. Rocky should buy Eagle Eye Goggles. It's so good with Backup Ammo!

Sanctuary donation = I vote that Master Splinter donate. There is nothing in the shop that will make any meaningful difference in power level in the near future and enhancements won't be available for a long time so let's try to accelerate to Prosperity 2.

City Event: Help the person! Option A.

All sounds good to me.

I'm sure we're going to get blamed for barely not managing to save that vase, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Narsham posted:

Depending on how large the group is, picking up a shield can be useful if only to lower the odds of having to lose a card to damage. There are some other viable options for the hand slot but they are all spoilers.
The best insurance against needing to lose a card to damage is, IMO, the Iron Helm.

It's an extremely good, if unsexy, item. The Brute should get one when he can, and it may not be dumb for a mindthief.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
MVP: Cragheart
City event: :effort: probably poison or explosives or something in that pot
Donate: Mindthief
Perk: +3 card for :black101: purposes

Slaan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 24, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
What about Winged boots + Donate for Splinter? Feedback Loop is a solid card, but having 2 sources of Jump can be useful for a Jump In -> Jump Out situation.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I'd like to sign up, please.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Winged Boots are good, but Mindthief is also one of the few classes that can get rid of all their negative modifiers and get a super-lean deck. I think her money is best spent on Eagle Eye Goggles and a fair amount of donations, especially since she's the biggest single-target damage dealer we have as long as there's no Scoundrel around.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Mindthief has a couple options available to her to obtain Strengthen relatively frequently, and Brain Leech isn't too far off at level 3.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
City Management II, Update 1
I have now updated the TTS module to the one previously discussed itt (with Scenario setup automation), so don't be afraid if something looks slighly different from here on! Now that our people are safe back in Gloomhaven, lets have a look at their Personal Quest progression.

Personal Quest posted:

- Master Splinter is still stuck a no progress at all in her quest to bring over the Fall of Man.
- Rocky has defeated one Boss and it's one step closer to become a Goliath Toppler (3 additional Boss Scenarios needed for completion).
- Bullwinkle has been adding Living Bones and Living Corpses' bits to his disgusting Trophy Hunt memorabilia. (17 additional different monster types slain for completion).

Some of our Votes have been showing a very distinct trend, so we'll call them and keep voting on the rest!

Brute Perk posted:

Bullwinkle's First Perk is going to be Ignore negative item effects and add one +1 attack modifier card. This will not only allow him to ignore the burdens of heavy armor, but it'll will also slightly improve the chance of pulling a neutral or better attack modifier from the deck.
With an almost unanimous vote, we're going to try and save that precious, precious vase!

City Event 25, resolution posted:

+5 collective gold!
They say that no good deed goes unpunished, but thankfully we have the brawn (or maybe the Earth magic) to save the day! You can usually guess if your current party is up to the task: last time we have tried to talk down an angry mob, but we were lacking charismatic people to do so, and we were punished for it. This time, we have succeeded due to our party composition. That said, as with every CYOA, events in Gloomhaven are somehow a bit arbitrary at times. See the origin of our party name on page 1 for more detail :hmmyes:

Money Matters posted:

- We are going to buy the following items:
Item #003 — Hide Armor for Bullwinkle, to go with his brand new perk.
Item #006 — Eagle-Eye Goggles for Rocky, to bolster its damage on big AOE attacks. When activated, this item grants advantage on the entire Attack action, meaning that every individual Attack in the AOE is taking advantage of it.
- We are also going to Donate to the Sacred Oak Sanctuary for the first time! Master Splinter is a pious rat-thing and will donate 10 gold, receiving 2 Bless Cards for the next Scenario.
UPDATED FINANCES:
- Master Splinter: 30-10=20 gold.
- Rocky: 38-30=8 gold.
- Bullwinkle: 14-10=4 gold.
The voting on what to buy for Master Splinter were less focused, so we'll keep voting on them!
1) Poison Dagger for Splinter x1 (with 2 negative votes)
2) Iron Helm for Splinter x1
3) Winged Boots for Splinter x1
4) Eagle Eye Goggles for Splinter x1 we no longer have the money for this!
4) Buy Nothing else for now.
Voting is also still open for MVP/Play of the game, although Rocky seems to be in the lead for now!

Last but not least, let's discuss where our party should head to next!
NOTE: we only know the basic creature and tiles composition for a Scenario at first; if we choose to pick one, I'll provide additional details (such as the map layout, creatures stat cards - and ability deck if we've met them before - and always active Scenario Effects).

Available Scenario Locations posted:

- We've found the location of the Clockwork Cove in a treasure chest in Scenario 1. As the name implies, we would face constructs, traps and puzzles. This is what we can expect from the Scenario:

- Snooping around in the pile of scrolls that Jekserah has sent us to recover, we've discovered the location of the picturesque Crypt of the Damned. If we want to learn more about this so called "Gloom", we'll have to face a bunch of Cultist, Undead and Elemental Demons!

- If we want to do some more wetworks for Jekserah, we can go to the Inox Encampment, deep in the Dagger Forest, to exact retribution for her stolen cargo. Unsurprisingly, we'll face a bunch of Inox!

If you want to learn more about the Inox people, you can check out this video where Isaac Childers (the lovable nerd responsible for this awesome game) gives some insight on their backstory - and on the Brute class:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgEx7XYqcyM

PLEASE KEEP VOTING FOR THE FOLLOWING THINGS (and please remember to bold your choices):
- MVP/Play of the Game for Scenario2!
- Who to give the 5 gold to from the City Event resolution. They can be split up as we please.
- Master Splinter's new item (or vote option 4 if you don't want to buy any of those!) You can check what each item does HERE.
- Our Next Destination!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 25, 2019

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

+5 to Bullwinkle

And, I'm sure our good brute knows these guys. Inox hunting

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
VOTES:

Gold distribution: Rocky and Bullwinkle should get 2 each for saving the vase and Master Splinter should get 1 for being their sensei and training them to be fast and strong so that they can catch falling vases all over the world!

Master Splinter shopping: There have been some good arguments so far but I still vote Master Splinter saves their gold for something better later.

Next location: Now that Rocky and Bullwinkle have gone shopping, they're poor again so they need money. We're mercs. Let's merc. I vote Scenario 3.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 25, 2019

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
5 Gold to Rocky, he still needs a Piercing Bow while the other two are mostly fine with current gear for now.
Splinter buys nothing

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Rocky should get at least 2 gold and then immediately donate all his money to a tree.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Gold to the poorest and buy nothing else
Inox Encampment for next scenario.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
No items for Splinter.
Gold to Rocky, and donate.
Crypt next
because it has more treasure. And treasure is good. Filthy lucre, mm yes.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Rocky 2 gold and immediately donate to the Sanctuary. No preference on remaining 3 gold.

I'd like to change my vote from Winged Boots to Iron Helmet for Splinter.

Inox Encampment so Bullwinkle can add the trophies of his people to his collection.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Good thinking on the personal quest part of the scenario choice. I always forget.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

In my experience, that particular mission isn't too hard as long as you keep it in mind during the scenarios themselves. The game does a good job of diversifying enemy types on you and we'll see at least one new type of enemy per scenario for a while.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Rocky 2 gold and immediately donate to the Sanctuary.
I agree with this.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

City Management II, Update 2 and Scenario 3 Preamble
I have added a Market Pool tab to the mobile friendly spreadsheet; each entry links to the corresponding wiki; you can also check the remaining stock for each given item, since that's not easy to guess at a glance from the screenshots.

Remaining Votes posted:

:agesilaus: Our MVP for Scenario 2 is Rocky, as piloted by archduke.iago :agesilaus:

-The extra golds have been assigned as follows:
+2 Rocky (New total: 10)
+3 Bullwinkle (New total: 7)
-Rocky donates 10gto the Sacred Oak Sanctuary (New total: 2) and receives 2 BLESS cards for this Scenario!
Updated Sheets

This is the new look for our character sheets. Snappy!

Let's examine our next destination: the Inox Encampment

Scenario 3 - Inox Encampment - Location posted:

What a lovely little village.

The Inox Encampment is located in the Dagger Forest, west of Gloomhaven.

Scenario 3 - Inox Encampment - Features posted:

These are the details we know about Scenario 3 before starting it:
Links to: nothing!
Requirements: The Merchant Flees (Global) INCOMPLETE
Goal: Kill a number of enemies equal to five times the number of characters (15)
Tiles in the Scenario:

Map Layout:

Scenario 3 - Inox Encampment - Creatures posted:

These are the stats for this Scenario's creatures:

These are the ability decks for the creatures we've already faced in battle before.
NOTE: these are the "in the box" cards. We normally use the app ones, that automatically make the necessary calculations for us; the various "+1", "-1", etc are to be applied to the base value for that stat on the monster card. So if the base value is "Attack 4", an "Attack -1" ability card would mean that, for that round, the monster has an Attack value of 3.

NOTE: certain monster archetypes share a common deck. We have never faced Inox Guards and Archers, but we've encountered their Bandit variants before, so we know what to expect from them. The combination of unique stat cards and shared ability decks allows the game to feel even larger than it already is!

To get to the Inox Encampment, our party has to travel. That means it's time for a new Road Event!

Road Event 26 posted:

On our way to exact vengeance against some highwaymen, we can ourselves become highwaymen. Something something gaze into the abyss, something something?

After dealing with this moral conundrum, our party has reached its destination.

Scenario 3 - Inox Encampment - Introduction posted:

So this merchant wants to make an example of some caravan raiders? Seems reasonable enough. For the right amount of money, almost anything can be made reasonable.
You enter the Dagger Forest and begin to track down the encampment using Jekserah’s crude map. It is well-hidden, but following the signs outlined on the parchment, you find a dense cluster of huts in a small clearing of the forest. All that’s left is to head in and make that requested example.

Scenario Special Rules
Until door (1) is opened, one normal Inox Guard spawns at (a) at the end of every odd round for two characters or the beginning of every round for three or four characters.

Players spaw tiles are marked with a STRENGTHEN token.

Everyone, please vote on the Road Event resolution! (and please don't forget to bold your choices :) )

Zulily Zoetrope, Narsham and Ripley please provide:
- Your hand selection for this Scenario (please specify what you are removing and what you are adding, if you change something);
- Pick one of the Battle Goals provided in the PM;
- Your starting location. You can freely discuss this itt.

Active players please discuss your options itt and provide your STEP A Orders via PM/email with this format:
- Initiative: xx
- Card 1: name
- Card 2: name
You can consult the (mobile friendly) spreadsheet to see which cards are available and decide your next moves.
DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS 3AM EST:getin:
(As always, please let me know if you need an extension!)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 26, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Quote is not edit!

PS: active players, you should now have received a PM!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey, this is the map that really made me appreciate the tile system! Most scenarios just use similar tilesets to create a cave or crypt or outdoorsy arena, but this one mixes up outdoors and indoors tiles to set up a hamlet-style map. It also shows off the rudimentary enemy class system; Inox Guards and Archers have the same monster cards as their bandit equivalents, but Inox elite guards have retaliate instead of shield, and their archers have less range but are tougher. It's nice.

For the event, "expertise" sure sounds like it's calling for a class like the Tinkerer, but we have two burly dudes so it should be fine. Besides option B is definitely not the way of the Torch Thieves, so I say Option A.

Also, I (Mindthief) would like to start in one of the front two tiles. I'd like if someone with more bulk and armor were to get ahead of me at the very least before those archers and that shaman enter the fray, but I can hold one of the flanks for a couple rounds I'm pretty sure.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We should get into the mindset of bandits by Becoming one

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
LOL option B isn't even "ignore and move on" it's literally the polar opposite of A.

I haven't seen this road event before but I think that if we try to help we'll fail because it probably requires a Tinkerer. Otherwise we might make things worse and he'll get pissed.

Option B is probably like gain gold but lose reputation or something.

I guess I would rather try to help and fail than be an rear end in a top hat so I vote Option A.

Good luck to the new players! I hope all the blessings pop up!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I fully expect this man to rob us as we try and help him, so we should definitely pick Option A

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I guess I would rather try to help and fail than be an rear end in a top hat so I vote Option A.

Same.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
OK, let's talk Inox for a moment. I'll be vague about the Shaman for now because we've not seen their action deck yet.

Inox are mainly noteworthy for being tough. Our weakest enemy will have 6 hp, and the elite guards have 10 hp plus retaliate, which means they take a lot of killing. The Shaman and Archers don't have exceptional range, so there's no fear that they'll plink away from an unreachable position: only the L1 elite archers have a base range that keeps them more than a default move away (barring obstacles).

While these bruisers aren't as slow as Living Corpses, on average they can't catch up with a PC who default moves away from them. That gives us the option of engaging one of the two sets of guards and then rotating toward the ranged attackers and the rear doorway, forcing the second set of guards to pursue us. I'm bringing the card that adds obstacles to the map, so if we want to kite in this scenario I can make that easier to do. Obviously, that only works well with the guards, who can't fight back at range.

First turn thinking: If we decide to wheel around the side, I'd rather aim for the A column to avoid the hazardous terrain on the other side. I'm planning to set up in D9, go slow, and hurt a guard fairly well; if you two are fast enough and engage one pair of guards, I can pull the other set (probably taking one hit) and weaken them, then escape the following round, either hitting them again or doing cleanup on the pair you engage. But I can revise my plans if we want to try something else.

Those ranged attackers most probably can't engage past the 7 row this turn.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It might be worth it for Splinter to just make a mad dash and open the door turn 2, using invisibility to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was planning on just stunning one of the closest guards and taking the hit from the other if need be. If I take the top right starting tile and the other one gets into my melee range, I can just stun him next turn and circle left. That should slow them down enough for us to deal with the ranged attackers before they catch up. I'm thinking I'll use the invisibility cloak in a couple turns to jump at the ranged enemies, because getting two free turns on them probably gets the most bang for the buck. Whatever's behind the doors will have a chokepoint to contend with.

Reik posted:

It might be worth it for Splinter to just make a mad dash and open the door turn 2, using invisibility to survive.

You think so? I'm not sure stopping the guard spawns is worth the risk and taking the Mindthief out of combat for 4+ turns. It's not like letting the guards spawn will slow us down particularly, since the scenario goal is to kill 15 goat people. All we stand to lose is a handful of loot tokens. I think the better strategy is to clear out the main room first, since, as pointed out, the Inox enemies are tough but slow. We can deal with them if we control the engagement, but making a mad dash into the fray is gonna cost a lot of resources for the net gain of fighting a larger group of enemies rather than dealing with a trickle at our leisure.

If you're worried about the chest, again, the Inox are real slow, and the scenario is won at 15 kills. It shouldn't be too hard to make a dash for the other doors when we're near victory without letting the enemies catch up, and killing a couple once the booty is secured. That is, if it's not just sitting in the central hut and waiting for us to pick it up at our leisure.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 26, 2019