Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, you'll have to pry Frigid Apparition from my cold dead rat hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The proposed changes to starting items are good, though I think there's a case to be made to keep the Brute's minor healing potion and buy him a stamina pot at L3, though the Cragheart has a little healing to offer.

A few general party tactical notes: The guards have ATK 2, but that means their potential damage range is between 0 and 5 hp of damage. The Mindthief has 6 hp at full health. Do not underestimate the lethality of these enemies. (Also, remember you can lose a card for the rest of the scenario instead of taking damage.)
The Brute will want to be up close, while the Mindthief wants to dart in and out and the Cragheart has options. Do not undervalue the different ways of control available to these characters. The Mindthief has reusable stuns, for example, while the Brute has a disarm and the Cragheart immobilize. The initial action economy is not in your favor. The Cragheart has beefy hp and can afford to steal some focus from the Brute. Coordinating initiative will be useful to spread focus and protect the Mindthief, although I'm unsure with turns this frequent whether you'll have the time to pull off any finesses.

Some procedural matters for That Italian Guy to think about:
1. Please provide monster stats for the whole scenario prior to the start. It's impossible to select cards properly without knowing them and they are known at set-up. That means all monsters that will appear, not just the monsters in the first room.
2. Think about what players should know about the map. There's a lengthy discussion in the Gloomhaven Games thread about what you set up at the start of the game; I was convinced by the argument that, except in a few specific scenarios that clearly indicate otherwise, you set up all the map tiles (A3a, I2b, etc) at the start. Arguably, there's precedent for setting up terrain at start, too, and only withholding the monsters until you enter a new room. Knowing how much real estate a given scenario has matters for initial card selection, especially later in the game.
3. Players must know what the scenario objective is before selecting cards. A few scenarios demand entirely different card selections and would be very frustrating to play without that knowledge.
4. I have my doubts about not having a two stage system where players put down their cards, then see what the monster actions are and decide what to do. The Mindthief has 6 hp and can make multiple attacks in a round. There's a card in one of the monster action decks in this scenario that will nearly kill the Mindthief on his turn if he executes a multi-attack focused on a guard enemy like the six in this first room. Your current system all but demands that players know all the cards in the action decks and give you contingencies based upon each set of significant variations, while punishing them severely if the wrong card comes up. This problem is only going to get worse as the campaign progresses.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, one of the biggest issues people have in scenario 1 is they immediately move up and engage 6 guards only to be swarmed and severely punished. A very important tactic to learn is to use your knowledge of enemy threat ranges to avoid damage. Since enemy cards flip before you take your turn, you can determine what the monster's turns will look like and play accordingly.

For starting hexes, I would like to start in one of the "back" hexes, i3 or i5, and I think we should huddle up on one side of the starting area to minimize the number of guards that can reach us if they draw a move +0 or move-1, so hexes g3/i3/h2 or g5/i5/h6.

If it starts to get troublesome with player turns, I would be okay as a volunteer being held to two responses a day: the first being cards+initiative, and second being my turn. Honestly, I'll probably have my next turn cards already in mind when I take my current turn, so I could provide both of them at the same time.

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 21, 2018

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Regarding the current system for orders... it's a bit of an experiment to expedite gameplay, but I too foresee a two days update cycle (with an initial card commit, followed by an updated plan once the monster cards are revealed as well) in case this doesn't work out.

Map info: revealing everything ruins a bit of mistique, but I agree it allows for more informed decisions. If the thread is up for it, we can go in knowing the room layout (but not their specific content) plus the full creature list and abilities.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 21, 2018

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

In our personal game I lay out the rooms ahead of time but don't populate them with monsters, obstacles, or traps until the door is opened. I think that's a good compromise between being able to plan for the scenario and keeping the mystique. I tell my players which monsters will be in the scenario but I don't tell them what those monsters can do unless we've fought them before; again, a compromise solution.

I do agree that the scenario objective absolutely needs to be revealed at the start. There are some scenarios which strictly require that the players take certain types of cards which they might not otherwise take and they need to know that. Not this one, they kept the goal simple for scenario 1, but down the line the goals can get really varied and can dramatically change which cards the players want to bring.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Zurai posted:

In our personal game I lay out the rooms ahead of time but don't populate them with monsters, obstacles, or traps until the door is opened. I think that's a good compromise between being able to plan for the scenario and keeping the mystique. I tell my players which monsters will be in the scenario but I don't tell them what those monsters can do unless we've fought them before; again, a compromise solution.

I like this solution and I'll implement it on the next update.
Edit: the lack of scenario objective and stats for the monsters in the starting room is, ofc a goof on my end. The stats have been provided above; the goal for this initial scenario is simple: KILL ALL ENEMIES :black101:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I want to be in the back hex that the Mindthief isn't in.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

I want to be in the back hex that the Mindthief isn't in.

Oo, i3 + h4 + i5 would be a good 3-man starting position, unless the guards get a Move +1 only 4 of them will be withing range.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Actually, I can take a hit better than you can, so maybe I should be in H2 and Brute can be in G3.

Brute, your thoughts?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Actually, I can take a hit better than you can, so maybe I should be in H2 and Brute can be in G3.

Brute, your thoughts?

Sounds good to me! I'm trying to decide how I want to start.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Once all orders for the round are in, we'll try and see how the current system for orders works out; in my experience the game is balanced around fully utilizing your resources (especially at the beginning, I would say) so if we feel this system is not sustainable (or simply not fun to play with), we'll move to the other potential systen suggested in the Trad Games thread before the start of the LP - that is also more closely similar to the game when played irl, even if the update speed would be halved.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
This is the start of my 3 and 1/2 day weekend. I would have everything in soon

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm on a three day weekend too. I will be playing board games for a lot of tomorrow, but I should be able to at least program my cards.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I have not received orders from SalTheBard yet; once those are in, I'll see how much of the actual decisions I have to make for the players with the current system and decide if we are to move to a 2step round. Gloomhaven is a game about making meaningful decisions and smart resources management and I feel like it would be unfun for the players if I end up being the one making those choices instead of them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Sorry working on it now!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Sorry working on it now!

No worries, it's cool :) got orders from everyone, I'll start on the update and, if this first round shows what I was talking about in my previous post, we'll switch the system around for the next ones.

In my experience round1 of the Black Barrow is a bit of a hit and miss no matter what even in the TT game (it may work fine or both the heroes and the enemies may stand around without doing anything) so it was probably the best place to start the current order system.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Black Barrow, Update 2

EDIT: if you have any kind of feedback on the LP (especially on anything I could improve...is the update cycle too fast? Are the images and the battle log understandable?) please let me know!

First thing first we're going to save that pupper! (or die trying)

Road Event 12 posted:

The party has gained another +1 reputation. :smugdog:
Rocky must be allergic to dogs, and he'll it'll start the scenario with three -1 attack modifier cards in his deck. No good deed goes unpunished?

Next, our starting item choices, per popular opinion are going to be the following:
Mindthief: Cloak of Invisibility (Item 005), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
Cragheart: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)
Brute: Boots of Striding (Item 001), Minor Stamina Potion (Item 013)

Then, let's have some more information about the Black Barrow itself. This is the full map layout (I'm visiting my parents's place for the holydays and their computer is...not very high end. That's the reason if some of the images from TTS look badly in need of some anti-aliasing!):

In this scenario we'll be facing the following creatures:
Bandit Guards (elite stats)
HP 5 (9)
Move 2 (2)
Atk 2 (3)
Range -
Special: None

Bandit Archers (elite stats)
HP 4 (6)
Move 2 (2)
Atk 2 (3)
Range 3 (3)
Special: None

Living Bones :skeltal: (elite stats)
HP 5 (6)
Move 2 (4)
Atk 1 (2)
Range -
Special: TARGET2 (TARGET2)

But for the time being, our heroes are locked in combat with a bunch of Bandit Guards:

PLAYER'S OVERVIEW
All the decks the players have chosen are available as a (mobile friendly) spreadsheet in separate tabs. The cards that have been selected for the current round are marked in yellow. Discarded cards will be marked in light red, while lost cards will be marked in deep red. Cards in the active slot will be marked in green in turns following the one they are played in. Available items are also shown there.
Bullwinkle the Brute leads with initiative 54. He'll use Leaping Cleave (top) and Trample (using bottom for a move 2).
code:
"LEAPING CLEAVE (54) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PBAOE (check card image) - XP1
BOT: MOVE3, Jump - Generate AIR"

"TRAMPLE (72) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK3, PIERCE2
BOT: MOVE4, Jump - ATK2 (Target all enemies moved through) - XP2 - LOSS"
Rocky the Cragheart follows with initiative 77 with Backup Ammunition (top) & Earthen Clod (bot)
code:
"BACKUP AMMUNITION (77) [Lvl1]
TOP: Persistent Bonus On your next four ranged Attack actions, gain ADD TARGET - Gain XP1 each trigger - LOSS
BOT: MOVE3"

"EARTHEN CLOD (38) [Lvl1]
TOP: ATK2, Range5 - Consume EARTH: IMMOBILIZE, XP1
BOT: HEAL2, Range3"
Master Splinter the Mindthief closes with initiative 82 with The Mind's Weakness (top) & Gnawing Horde (bot)
code:
"THE MIND'S WEAKNESS (75) [Lvl1]
TOP:  Augment - Persistent Bonus On your melee attacks add +2ATK - ATK1 - XP1 (discard when another augment is played)
BOT: ATK1 - WOUND"

"GNAWING HORDE (82) [Lvl1]
TOP: Persistent Bonus Summon Rat Swarm (HP6, MOVE1, ATK2, POISON) - XP2 - LOSS
BOT: MOVE4"
MONSTERS OVERWIEV
All the players are going slow in this first round, so the Guards have initiative, with 50. There is no Dungeon Master or competing player in Gloomhaven: creatures act according to an AI flowchart and their actions are resolved by following it.
Each creature of a given type follows the same ability card and act at the same initiative; all Elite creatures of a group act first, then all normal monsters do; multiple creatures in the same group act in order of standee, from lower to higher. Creatures only attempt an action (IE: move, attack, etc) if it's present on their ability card for that round.
An important part of the monster AI is called Focus. Every time a creature acts, they identify an enemy player as their focus - normally it's the closest player; in case of multiple players at the same distance, the one with the lowest initiative.
In this case, the Guards's ability card for the round is a simple MOVE2, ATK2. Every Guard will act in order of standee, take focus, try to move closer to the focused enemy and attack.
Let's take Bandit Guard 1 as an example: Bullwinkle the Inox Brute is the closest enemy, so it becomes the focus for this monster. Bandit Guard 1 can only move 2, though, so their not close enough to attack. Now, let's play through the first round:

Black Barrows, Round 1 posted:

50. BANDIT GUARDS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to D4.
Bandit Guard 2 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to D2.
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to C5.
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to E5.
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to E3. Attacks Bulwinkle for 2 (+0) damage!
Bullwinkle is at 8 HP
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to F2. Attacks Bulwinkle for 2 (+0) damage!
Bullwinkle is at 6 HP

55. Bullwinkle the Inox Brute
Bullwinkle uses Trample(bot as basic MOVE2)! Moves 0 to G3.
Bullwinkle uses Leaping Cleave(top)! Attacks Bandit Guard 5 for 2 (-1) damage! Attacks Bandit Guard 6 for 4 (+1) damage!
Bandit Guard 5 is at 3 HP
Bandit Guard 6 is at 1 HP

77. Rocky the Savvas Cragheart
Rocky uses Backup Ammunition (top)! Persistent bonus active!
Rocky uses Earthen Clod (bot)! Heals Bullwinkle for 2 HP!
Bullwinkle is at 8 HP

82. Master Splinter the Vermling Mindthief
Master Splinter uses Gnawing Horde (bot)! Moves 3 to E1.
Master Splinter uses The Mind's Weakness (top)! Persistent bonus[/b] active! Attacks Bandit Guard 2 for 2 (+2, -1) damage!
Bandit Guard 2 is at 3 HP

With the first round over, I have to say the current system has worked out better than expected. I was able to carry out the active players's orders without having to take decisions on my own (not more than I would have had to do with the potential new system). With the game being played in an asynchronous way, I still have to take some decisions (IE: I have elected to move Bullwinkle 0 since SalTheBard's intentions were to attack 5 and 6 and to block for his companions). Otho, if see that the current system is not fun/viable or we have a disastrous outcome due to it, we'll take a decision.

I'll post a screenshot of each character's and the party sheet once the first scenario is over! I'll also start collecting these kind of resources in the second and third post of the thread, then.

Reik, Some Numbers and SalTheBard, please submit your orders for round 2!
- Specify two plans, using the two possible combinations of top/bottom. PLAN A is your preferred one.
- Select one or more preferred target(s) for your attacks. (IE: "n.3"; or "n.4 if it's still alive, otherwise n.5")
- Select one or more preferred final location for your movements.
- Specify the maximum enemy focus threshold you will tolerate: if your selected orders move you in a place that puts you into N+ enemy focus, I'll try to accomodate that into your orders. This is to avoid potential suicide rushes, since you will operate without full knowledge of potential enemy positions.
- (OPTIONAL) add your intention for the round. This will allow me to better understand and execute your idea (IE: I want to grab focus from the enemies trying to kill PlayerX).

DEADLINE FOR EVERYTHING IS: TONIGHT, 3AM EST:getin:
Everyone is free to take part in the planning for the round, even if the last word is reserved for the current active players. Also if you have any kind of feedback on the LP (especially on anything I could improve...is the update cycle too fast? Are the images and the battle log understandable?) please let me know!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 22, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
That went way better than I expected.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Was Bullwinkle planning to use just the basic move bottom of Trample or the actual card? If it's the actual card, you can do a circle to move through the enemies and end up in the same square you left but with attacking them as well. If it was the basic move, can you indicate that it is being used as a basic 2 move when you do the writeup?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I imagine it was basic, rather than using a Lost card on the first turn against some generic enemies, but I could be wrong.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Italian Guy specified it was a move 2 when he posted Bullwinkle's card selection.

(I just got Gloomhaven for Christmas, so I'm going to check out of the thread soon for spoiler reasons, but I'm going to follow some of this first scenario to get s better feel for how the game plays.)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If you didn't know, the Bandit Guards were set to level 0.

Also, in the spreadsheet I only see 9 cards for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 22, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

PMush Perfect posted:

I imagine it was basic, rather than using a Lost card on the first turn against some generic enemies, but I could be wrong.

I find a loss card can greatly speed up the first room and lead to a great benefit overall (especially for those with a larger hand size), and this would pretty much be the optimal use of Trample (circling around would let the brute hit 6, 2, and 5)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Reik posted:

If you didn't know, the Bandit Guards were set to level 0.

Also, in the spreadsheet I only see 9 cards for Rocky and Bullwinkle?

That means you're playing level minus 1, not level plus zero as was indicated. And didn't the level 1 bandit stats get posted? I do see that the archer/bones stats are L0. (No elite stats?) It is so strange seeing Living Bones without shield.

That's a fine choice--we lost our first game on normal and then played the first two scenarios on "easy" when learning the game--but this first turn would have gone much differently with L1 guards.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Piell posted:

I find a loss card can greatly speed up the first room and lead to a great benefit overall (especially for those with a larger hand size), and this would pretty much be the optimal use of Trample (circling around would let the brute hit 6, 2, and 5)
That's fair. I just feel dirty using multi target attacks without some way to apply a boost or condition to the whole attack.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I wanted to ease the players into the game as I found out that Scenario1 is surprisingly punishing if you're not familiar with Gloomhaven; in this case I think everyone has played it before, but I wasn't sure about it so I kept the difficulty on easy. If the players want me to, we can bump it to LVL1 monsters from the next room on! As Narsham has mentioned, lvl1 Guards have MOVE3 instead of 2, with five of them - instead of 2 - beign able to strike our heroes.

I've mentioned Bullwinkle's move using trample was a basic one in the breakdown but not in the actual combat log; I'll do that in the future, thanks for the advice!

I'll also post stats for Elite Bandit Archers and Living Bones asap!

Some cards have probably lost their lives in a copy/paste mishap in the spreadsheet! Rats! I'll fix that as soon as I'll be back at a computer.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Level 0 works fine with me.

My initial plan is to go quickly and finish off bandit 6 while stunning either bandit 2 or 5.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 22, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Elephant Ambush posted:

That went way better than I expected.

Same. The first room is a meat grinder, and some Bandit cards can surprise the party and make the room very difficult on turn number one.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
My plan is to go medium fast and try to damage at least 3 at once

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Can we discuss why I ended up with all the -1s?

Whatever, I'm going drop some rocks on the guards, so you guys should watch out. You're in the splash zone.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I imagine he just picked a character at random? It doesn't looks like we're able to spread them out.

Would you be opposed to throwing the rocks at the guards we're not currently engaged with, and seeing if the Brute can finish them off?

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 22, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm throwing rocks to maximize damage. That's the most I can say without breaking the table talk rules.

Or wait. Am I able to say card names?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Can we discuss why I ended up with all the -1s?

Whatever, I'm going drop some rocks on the guards, so you guys should watch out. You're in the splash zone.

The card text says "One starts scenario with [-1] x3" and the cruel RNG has chosen you. Fate and :smugdog: are fickle mistresses.

Also:
- Bullwinkle's card usage has been clarified in the combat log;
- Basic stats for Elite variants have been provided (elite skellies gotta go fast);
- The Card list sheet for Rocky & Bullwinkle have been fixed!

Some Numbers posted:

EDIT: clarifying since the policy has somewhat been unclear at first (I went back and edited my posts to make this more clear)...We'll do it the normal way - especially since we're playing on LVL0 for this Scenario. And per Isaac clarification: As long as you avoid specific numerical values and card names, you can say whatever you want.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 22, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Some Numbers posted:

I'm throwing rocks to maximize damage. That's the most I can say without breaking the table talk rules.

No, card names and all numbers aren't supposed to be allowed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cool.

I'm maximizing damage.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If we're all good with card selection, do we want to try and clear 2 rounds today?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

^^^^^^^^ That won't be possible today due to timezone differences (I'm in EU, so it's almost dinnertime here and I'll be out for the night - I normally work on the update and release it in the morning GMT so that both EU and US players will have a full day to send their orders in). If I'm staying home, can work on the update and we have a fast round - and if all the active players are good with it - we may be able to play a double-round at times in the future.
Standard update rate will be 1/day to allow everyone to catch up with the thread; also what I really really want to avoid is for one of the active players to feel overwhelmed with the updates frequency, if this becomes higher than the expected one.

As a general rule for new players...As long as you avoid specific numerical values and card names, you can say whatever you want.
So, Things you are allowed to say:
- Your general plan for the round;
- The "speed" you'll act on (IE: I'll be fast, slow, very slow, etc) - note that this could mean different things for different characters!
- Things like "I'll go fast and try to kill that guy"
- "I'll STUN this monster, so you can ignore it for this round"
- "I'll do light damage to this, this and that enemy"
- "Don't move near me or you'll get damaged".
- "Push that guy onto that trap"
- "I need someone to generate FIRE and I'm going medium speed"
- "If you stay near me and go slow I can buff you"
- "I will move into that hex and attack that enemy"
- And so on.

Things you are NOT allowed to say:
- "I'll act at initiative 15."
- "I'll do 6 damage to that guy."
- "I'll play Trample and Skewer this round."
- And so on.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 23, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm going fast and doing a lot of damage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Just my opinion as an observer but the 3 -1s should have been decided between the players.

It won't really make a huge difference but I don't think it should be RNG in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

quote:

50. BANDIT GUARDS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to D4.
Bandit Guard 2 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to D2.
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to C5.
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to E5.
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to E3. Attacks Bulwinkle for 2 (+0) damage!
Bullwinkle is at 8 HP
Bandit Guard 1 focuses Bullwinkle! Moves 2 to F2. Attacks Bulwinkle for 2 (+0) damage!
Bullwinkle is at 6 HP

I enjoy two thirds of the guards offloading their work onto their buddy.

As for the road event, I'm not sure of a way to put the penalty choice in the player's hands without adding an extra processing round.