Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Sign me up please, and I'll throw in arbitrary votes for Scoundrel and Cragheart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Road Event: Option A. It seems like a Bioware "save a puppy" / "kick a puppy" choice, and The Torch Thieves aren't that kind of jerks. Mostly.

For this scenario, my group went with hustling to the far side of the room to take on the ranged Inox while leaving the slow guards behind, but we were pretty squishy and also not very good at Gloomhaven.

I (Bullwinkle T. Brute) will start in one of the two forward-most hexes, I've said C9 unless it's already taken in which case E9.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Makes sense. If I can have F8 to stay out of range of the archers, I can help chip down guard 3.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm a bit torn. I could zip past everyone and hit the shaman, popping my invisibility cloak and using a slow initiative next turn to keep anyone from targeting me for two rounds, but I could also consume the Ice to clobber Guard 2 with a stun and a hefty hit. F7 is outside the standard range of the other guards, while still being close enough to jump into the fray on the following turn. I think the latter is the optimal move, but that also means claiming the coin space and possibly getting in someone's way. What are you guys intending?

Not sure. If we wanted to go ham, I could get to the north side of the room as well and smack an archer or two, but that probably means leaving Rocky behind and then taking too many hits. The archers are likely to be able to target us this round either way, though, I guess.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Narsham posted:

I'm inclined to suggest that you both finish guard 2 this turn. [...]

Sounds sensible. No problem with Splinter taking the coin, either.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Yeah, this is a tough round. If I can help by taking a hit for one of you, let me know, but I guess the archers will always prefer to focus Rocky because of his lower initiative, unless I use boots to get right up close.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Ah, this sounds more fun than hiding from the archers. Good shout.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Clearly just an excuse to build suspense!

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Dramatic round! Bullwinkle has his pristine new Hide Armor, at least - I don't think that's been factored in yet.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Would it be worthwhile to wall off the southern guards with boulders at this point and send them the long way around?

I'm on GMT, so I'll wait and see what you guys are thinking overnight.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Fast guards are the worst. At least if this run goes south, we'll be an example for the thread of how quickly things can go wrong.

Healing is tempting, but I think Narsham's right that sitting put could make next turn into (even more of) a bloodbath. I'll move up and throw a dagger at somebody.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Bullwinkle has zero healing, sadly. There's one card, but it's not in my deck this mission.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Aye, worth a shot, otherwise I'm going to start hemorrhaging cards shortly. Sounds like a plan.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Yes. This scenario is loving horrific

Acting as Jekserah's PMC to go raze a village, all in day's work... :(

Narsham posted:

Blocking G4 also forces the guards focusing on me to turn around and head for that hazardous terrain; Bullwinkle can then vacate G4 the following turn and they will switch directions again.

This is a fun/evil strategy, poor guards.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I should've gone faster this round instead of hedging my bets, but if Bullwinkle's doomed to be ventilated with arrows, at least functioning armour is better than poison.

Will try for a big hit next round.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
That was some quality stabbing action from Splinter. :ese:

The guards are standing next to each other so obligingly for skewering, I wouldn't want to disappoint them.

But Omobono has a point as well, hmm.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Quote isn't edit! First time I've done that one.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Haven't seen that shaman card before. I like it - impressively mean with that initiative.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Ah heck, I was going to use my stamina pot that round but forgot overnight before sending my orders in. That'll teach me to procrastinate. :argh: Any chance of a late amendment?

Also I think that's the hide armour exhausted again, sadly.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Narsham posted:

Ripley, are you planning to fall back, advance, or basically stay where you are?

Thanks for the healing, by the way.

Genuinely not sure, I was hoping for a big dramatic attack since everyone's talking tempo, but this looks like a risky turn for it. Leaning towards going fast and defensive so I can react to their card, and probably not moving too far.

I don't have the knack for using slow cards at all yet, but maybe next round will be a better shot if they're disarmed or muddled.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Alright, nice, this turn should work out fine. We can have a breather soon! :toot:

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Glad they didn't go for shield / retaliate this round.

Depending on what's still standing, I figure I'll either AOE guards 4 and 6 or go for a single big-ish hit on the healthiest survivor.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
That works for me, sure.

E: And I'm happy with moving for a coin, good call That Italian Guy.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Looks like you guys are going for plan Long Rest+:ese:

Ripley, if you let me know what you want to lose (and if Zulily Zoetrope lets me know their plan for step B) I can update 9A+9B together on tomorrow's update.

I'll lose Provoking Roar for this long rest.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
That makes sense to me, sure.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Sorry, I was asleep when the plan changed. I'll go late but plan to charge in so that Splinter isn't prime target for whoever for two rounds.

E: Actually, thinking about it, I'll go not-that-late - I can always open the door if our plans don't sync up.

Ripley fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 13, 2019

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Excellent. Still going to charge in there and jump this guy, but with just one shaman even drawing the null shouldn't be a huge problem.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Hmm. The coins would be nice, but if you'd prefer to handle the shaman, one option would be for me to open the other door.

If there's someone within three movement of the door I can hit them hard, otherwise just... make the situation worse for us.

Bad idea?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"Within three movement of the door" would describe every tile in the room, unless they're hiding behind multiple obstacles. You'll almost certainly be able to hit someone if the room isn't straight-up empty.

:doh: In my imagination the rooms were larger...

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Narsham posted:

I am going to be opening a door before we finish the scenario, so I'd suggest letting me do it unless we want a third room revealed. Given that, I'd prefer if you either jumped the shaman or went for some coins.

Right, no worries, I'll stay away from top left. Spending some time on coins can't hurt too much when we're in relatively good shape.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Just going to mind my own business and grab some coins. I think this shaman might be a pacifist, though. :smith:

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
:munch: I did think about including a contingency to actually be of some use to the team...

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Two turns sounds good, it'd be nice to get all three characters levelled up.

I'd like to short rest right now, please, for totally legitimate reasons *cough*. Reroll if Grab and Go is going to be lost.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
That was a fun experience, thanks for letting me play!

Voting on some things:

- City Event outcome, A or B!
A This offer seems shady as hell, but based on the last mission, that's how we like it.

- Master Splinter's NEW PERKS (2) AND CARD!
Hostile Takeover, Remove two -1s and Ignore negative scenario effects

- Rocky's NEW PERKS (2) AND CARD!
Swap a -1 for a +1 and Ignore negative scenario effects

I don't know if it's the smart choice, I just don't like negative scenario effects. Not sure about the card choice, they both look interesting.

- Bullwinkle's NEW PERK (1) AND CARD!
Juggernaut and Remove two -1s

- Money matters!
Bullwinkle could do with a Warhammer...

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

Aren't the skellies only at shield 2, because the card takes into account their stat block?

Ha, I didn't know that - sounds like my group were making shielded enemies harder than they should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

It's specifically with the Gloomhaven Helper app (and maybe with other apps, idk.) The cards in the box don't take stat blocks into account since the cards can be shared over multiple specific enemy types. But the GH app goes ahead and figures out the final numbers and displays them on the cards when you draw them.

Yeah, we were using Gloomhaven Helper but assuming they gained the shield value on the card shown in addition to their base value. Doh.