Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh man, I've been eyeing this game for a while, but I just cannot justify the price tag to myself. I'm gonna watch this closely, and hopefully not get swayed into spending money I don't have. Looks really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alright, I'll try. I don't know anything about anything so I'm only choosing what I think is fitting and/or awesome.

Mindthief: I like the TMNT reference, but surely you have to give him his full title of Master Splinter?
Fall of Man sounds more interesting, and what's a tiny psychomouse going to go with a huge holy axe?

Cragheart: Terror Firma for the name. God I wish he was a wrassler or luchador, that would be even more perfect.
And of course I'm going to go with Goliath Toppler because what's the point of being a big burly rockman if you can't aspire to square up to even bigger things and punch 'em in the jaw?

Brute: Slab Bulkhead. Just because :allears:
And Trophy Hunt! Let's add some diversity to our murder targets, and also get some nice keepsakes for the party mantlepiece.

As far as the event, Option A, because let's not immediately burn our bridges.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The puppy is obviously a trap. Obviously. And the taking it back to Gloomhaven option doesn't specify we're keeping it, it seems like we just turn it loose in the streets?

And yet, I am still inclined against all my better instincts, to save the puppy. I see your trap and I willingly insert my face into it. I do not care. Puppy!

I will agree with Piell's item choices as well because more cards is more gooder, right? Right.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alright, who left Friendly Fire on?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Some Numbers posted:

The scenario ends at the end of the round after the objective is achieved. There's nothing in the rules that says we can't milk the last enemy for as much XP and coins as we can.

Is there an actual reason for this, like some scenarios having events that trigger immediately on completion? Because the last game I played gave everyone one round after finishing for looting reasons, but that was because when maps were over, they were over, and nothing "happened" afterwards.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Apparently this isn't actually widely available out here in the UK yet and all the prices I'm seeing are imports? Which would explain a lot.

So I guess I'll consider this my primer until somewhere local gets it in.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
City, then Scenario 2.

Difficulty to +0.

I don't have any item suggestions or anything because I'm not confident enough with how to optimise yet.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
CONSUME.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I can't wait for everyone to draw Curses and get hit by splash damage. :allears:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alright, this is good. I think I'm able to largely follow the flow of this game now. I'm actually considering signing up for a turn to play, if it's not too late, and you don't mind letting a total novice enter the fold. I figure I'll have three more scenarios to lurk and learn more anyway.

I am trying to get a RL group together to go in on this in the meantime, but schedules among my regular friends are proving tricky this year.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alright then, lemme at 'em (in due course!)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
You've changed the text in the quotebox to the right cards, but not the bold text above it. Just a heads up.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I foresee a storm coming. :tinfoil:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat Samurai posted:

Chopping off the arms of a zombie doesn’t work, you have to aim for the head.

I think that's de-arming.

Disarming is when you toss them a cheeky coquettish wink.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Elephant Ambush posted:

VOTES:

MVP = Rocky for that buffed Dirt Tornado in the doorway that annihilated stuff and tore up the stuff that didn't die. That whole part of the scenario would have been way harder if that hadn't happened.

Bullwinkle's perk = Ignore negative item effects and add a +1

Shopping = Bullwinkle should buy Hide Armor. Rocky should buy Eagle Eye Goggles. It's so good with Backup Ammo!

Sanctuary donation = I vote that Master Splinter donate. There is nothing in the shop that will make any meaningful difference in power level in the near future and enhancements won't be available for a long time so let's try to accelerate to Prosperity 2.

City Event: Help the person! Option A.

All sounds good to me.

I'm sure we're going to get blamed for barely not managing to save that vase, though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
No items for Splinter.
Gold to Rocky, and donate.
Crypt next
because it has more treasure. And treasure is good. Filthy lucre, mm yes.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I like how close to being super blunt that answer is.

"How do I determine initiative without a drawn card???"
"You draw a card, idiot."

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
What does the number on the chest mean, by the by?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Well congratulations, you monsters.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
MVP I'm going to say Rocky, not for one single play, but for the barriers and healing. I can't imagine that ending well without those.

City Event: A This is ostensibly our job, right? Can't imagine refusing a job would do our rep any good.

Splinter: No idea how optimal I'm being but Ignore negative scenario effects sounds good, assuming it means ignoring stuff like those two curse cards from #2. Also remove two -1 cards for more consistent stabbing. As for card, Hostile Takeover seems like a great addition to the suite of control cards. Plus it's a fast, ranged and a reuseable XP source.

Rocky: Ignore negative scenario effects on the same logic as Splinter, and Add one -2 and two +2 should be a net positive with the goggles, surely? Sentient Growth seems like it would be the most clutch. It does basically everything you'd want a card to do. Lobbing it into an ally's melee to turn the tides of bad luck seems like a pro move.

Bullwinkle: I'm going to go Remove two -1 cards just to lower the probability of missing any vital kills. Consistency is key. It's a tough choice but I'll have to nominate Juggernaut because I don't think we should be relying on loss cards for single kills of mooks... Longevity seems more important.

Splinter and Bullwinkle can afford to donate and I kinda wanna see what the end goal of this is. Rocky doesn't have much money, but Hide Armour doesn't cost much and made quite the difference last scenario but... I dunno. I have no foreknowledge so I don't know if there's anything better just over the horizon. Feel free to correct me.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Diamond Mine. Let's see how deep this goes.

Option B for the road event.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm amenable to hiding behind the tank, at least on round 1.

All the obstacles are in the next room apparently, it's going to be some bullshit labyrinth. 15 tiles of rocks. You're right that this looks like it could be a short one. The min-maxer in me is howling at the possible lack of opportunities to farm for XP.

Does Retaliate trigger on non-direct attack damage, like splash damage, if you happen to be standing next to a monster that gets splashed, or does the monster specifically have to be targeted?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Alright guys, really hope I don't screw this up.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Car Hater posted:

drat, I had wholly intended to facetank, had forgotten the +2 next to allies card. Might still be worth the gamble, would be funny to let the entire dungeon ride on our luck the first turn.

I mean the more Retaliates you get in, the easier mopping up all the half-health doggos will be. Losing one card to damage isn't ideal, but this looks to be a short scenario, and I can bust some obstacles in the second room to get us within alpha striking range faster.

I'm perfectly alright with taking a hit, even a boosted one, if it helps out. Better me than the Mindthief. Think we're okay planning a rest before charging onwards anyway, so.

Regardless, my move is fairly obvious.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Tell me if I'm wrong about this, I might be.

If the Brute declines to activate Provoking, he'll take 2 > 4 > 4 > 4 as Elite moves to E2, #1 to G2, #2 to D2 (and he's faster initiative than me), and #5 to H2 (where he's again, faster than the Mindthief.) He can Retaliate each of those for 2. The damage is bad but he has ALL the mitigation.

I'll take 4 from #6, which is fine. And I'll give 2 HP back to the Brute.

If Brute than uses his potion and moves as fast as possible again, if he can move first, a Sweeping Blow could cleave three of the half-HP ones in one shot.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Just let me take the last hit, don't activate Voke. I'm a big boy. Better to split it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The crowd wanted a Rocky Punch and I intend to try and deliver. I'd like a turn of relative downtime too and for someone to open the door as action 1 on a turn.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
All dogs go to hell.

Right now.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah I'm planning to nab both of my healing cards back via potion, so.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh, whoops, someone mentioned punting it in the thread and I assumed that meant I could. Nevermind!

Thankfully this is a short-looking one, so card loss and rest rounds aren't that big of a deal.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Rocky should gain XP for Backup Ammo activating, right?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm planning to move up and heal, I can go with a short rest if you really want to get in there next turn. It's the last room, with one priority target with no-too-much-HP, I can spunk away cards as much as I like as long as we win.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

That Italian Guy posted:

I would have gone through and proceeded with the update till the door was opened in the second Round, but I don't have a card selection for MarquiseMindfang for that Round :/

I figured I wouldn't know what my card options were until I rested, so I stopped short. If you can give me a nudge with what card I'm losing I'll get you that second round selection asap.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, I'm hoping for the door to open on Turn 2 else I'm largely going to be sat around with my thumb up my rear end.

I don't see a Range value or an Immobilise immunity on that boss so I'm basically planning to barrel in and kick him around like a football, terrain permitting.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Thirding, this is a great thread and very cathartic.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Wow this game loving hates me.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Do I have LoS on #9 from where Rocky is standing? Corner-to-corner, yes?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I am pre-emptively sorry for being bad at this.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

DarthRoblox posted:

OK, so good news is that 3/8 of the bosses actions are currently useless. The bad news is that the other 5/8 are fully powered up and scary. The normal vermlings aren't too bad since that ranged attack can't hurt you (unless you're poisoned? does it work like that?), but the damage from the elites could pile up quick with double actions. Hopefully they don't have too many move+attacks.

I'm going to run up and jump behind the boss and focus him down with my hardest hitting stuff - I should be able to put out a turn of ~8 damage and then 4 or 5 after that, which could be enough to put him down in 2 rounds of attacks if we can get some more chip damage in from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I was also planning a jump, and a push, and I'd like to get it off because it should render him mostly nonthreatening. Plus I can hole up in a chokepoint, maybe. I'd recommend something nice and ranged this round so that unless he draws the Range card (which is pretty drat slow) he can't hit anyone on his next initiative. If we're good we can keep him locked down with Immobilises.

In fact his only "dangerous" cards if he's kept immobile and not next to anyone are relatively slow so we should have time to react to whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Reik posted:

Don't forget there's a big rock there just begging to be punched.

...Oh for sheer spectacle I kind of have to, don't I?