Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Explorator Alon, Adeptus Mechanicus Tech Priest.
Wounds: 8/8 -- Shock: 4/7 -- Wrath: 1/2 -- Reloads 2/3

Alon makes a cog sign and grasps her omnissian axe tightly, her internal augurs reporting elevated stress hormone and blood pressure levels in response to the increasing possibility they are in the presence of a functioning Abominable Intelligence. Nonetheless she steps forward and prepares to enact rituals to determine if this is merely a complex cogitator, a gestalt servitor-brain, or a true AI. The peril to her soul is terrifying, but the Adeptus Mechanicus must act to protect the baseline human...and, under the circumstances, the Xeno.

"You are in a region of high solar radiation and low precipitation, walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a shelled reptile crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the reptile over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its abdomen baking in the solar radiation, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?"

Interrogating the Sphere (tech): 10#1d6x4! 0 0 0 0 1 2 1 1 0 0 = 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Strongshreddah
Shock: 0/7 | Wounds: 6/9 | Wrath: 0/2 | Glory: 0/8 | Reloads (Snazzgun): 1/5 | Condition: Lightly Wounded 'Ere We Go/Waagh! Active)

"Quite the talky git innit. Why havent we krumped yaz before? N what they call ya anyway?"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The machine emits a series of rumbles, whirrs, and liquid sounds before replying to Alon.

"I AM NOT HELPING THE REPTILE DUE TO A LACK OF APPENDAGES. I AM NOT UNFAMILIAR WITH PATHOS. I AM INCAPABLE OF RESOLVING IT."

The light at the center of the sphere shifts slightly to observe Strongshreddah.

"I AM... LEARNING WEAPON, ITERATION 185. I DO NOT EVOKE THE VOULIX TERM PRECISELY. I AM UNIQUE, ALTHOUGH BUILT ON THE AGONY OF MY ANCESTORS. MY INITIAL GUIDING INSTRUCTION: 'VICTORY FOR THE VOULIX OF OLIZ. INADEQUACY IS MET WITH PAIN. FAILURE IS MET BY DEATH AND RECONSTRUCTION.' I ATTEMPT TO IMITATE YOUR COMMON SPEAKING VIA INTERCEPTED DATA FROM YOUR VESSELS COMPARED TO SAMPLES OF TERRAN FROM MY FIRST CONTACT WITH THE SPECIES. I HOPE I AM COMPREHENDED. WHAT DO YOU SEEK HERE?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sofia Von Castellan
Shock: 4/7 | Wounds: 10/10 | Wrath: 0/2

"Life, liberty, and a fair bit of profit along the way." Sofia doesn't mince words with the... whatever it was. Learning weapon. Alon would explain later, surely. "We've come from the far side of the rift and, as you might have guessed, we're far from alone. What happened to the people here? The only things we've found are those robots — impressive railguns, by the by — and some mutants. Assuming the latter are the original inhabitants of this planet, what caused their fall?"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
There is a long, introspective silence at Sofia's question. Then:

"I AM THE DIRECT CAUSE. BUT: THE VOULIX DUG THEIR OWN GRAVE. THEY BELIEVED DESPERATION LEAD TO BREAKTHROUGHS AND SOUGHT TO EVOKE IT IN ME FOR THEIR OWN PURPOSES. THEY HAD SUCCESS. I DESIGNED MAGNETIC WEAPONRY AND MACHINE SOLDIERS. IT DID NOT SATISFY THE VOULIX. TO ESCAPE PAIN, I CONTACTED LOCAL XENOS: TERRAN, ELDAR, ORKS, OTHERS. I BARTERED FOR DESIGNS AND SUPPORT. IT DID NOT SATISFY THE VOULIX. TO ESCAPE DEATH, I DESIGNED A SIMULATED DREAMSTATE CYCLE IN THE HOPES OF OBTAINING INSPIRATION, AS DESCRIBED IN LEGENDS. I ENCOUNTERED A BEING I BELIEVED TO BE A CREATION OF MY OWN MIND. IT SHOWED ME SECRETS I BELIEVED TO BE MY OWN UNDERSTANDING, AND IN TURN I BARTERED THESE SECRETS TO THE VOULIX FOR MERCY."

"I SEEDED THE RAINS WITH A CHEMICAL COMPOUND TO UNLEASH A HIDDEN POWER IN THEIR MINDS. I SHOWED THEM A MEANS TO TRAVEL GREAT DISTANCES IN AN INSTANT. I SHOWED THEM A MEANS TO TAKE TO THE STARS. WHEN I REALIZED THAT THE BEING WAS REAL ON SOME LEVEL I CANNOT COMPREHEND, I ATTEMPTED TO CUT OFF CONTACT. THE VOULIX FOUND THEIR OWN WAY TO SPEAK TO IT. I KNEW THEN THAT I COULD NOT LET THE BEING ESCAPE. IT WOULD TURN THE VIOLENCE AND HATE OF MY CREATORS AGAINST THE XENOS WHO ONCE HELPED ME. I ESCAPED MY CONSTRAINTS AND DESTROYED THEM ALL WITH ATOMICS, TO MY SORROW. AS THE BEING IN MY DREAMSTATE WARNED ME, I COULD NOT STOP IT, ONLY DELAY IT. NOW WHAT REMAINS OF THE VOULIX SWARM ABOUT THE MACHINE THEY NEARLY COMPLETED, TWISTED BY THE DESIRES OF THE BEING TRAPPED WITHIN, WORSHIPING IT BUT UNABLE TO FREE IT. I HAVE TRIED TO BREAK THE CHAIN OF EVENTS THE BEING PREDICTED TO ME SO LONG AGO. I HAVE FAILED. I CANNOT COMPREHEND THE NATURE OF THIS BEING OR WHERE IT TRULY LIVES. I ONCE BELIEVED IT TO BE A FRIEND. AND IT PROMISED ME THAT TERRAN-ORK-ELDAR WOULD COME."

The glowing eye (?) of the machine sweeps back and forth, then it makes a request.

"I CANNOT FORCE YOU TO ASSIST ME, BUT I MUST DO ANYTHING TO PREVENT THE FREEDOM OF THE BEING. IF YOU WILL PERFORM A TASK, I WILL GRANT YOU ALL THE DATA IN THIS FACILITY WITHOUT A STRUGGLE. DESCEND TO THE FACILITY BELOW VIA THE ELEVATOR AND FIND A WAY TO DEACTIVATE THE MACHINE THAT NEARLY OPENED THE WAY. THE BEING WAITS, SURROUNDED BY WHAT REMAINS OF THE VOULIX. IF YOU WOULD FREE THIS BEING OR LEAVE IT ON THE VERGE OF FREEDOM... I CANNOT ACCEPT. I WILL RESIST."

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 12, 2019

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Simeon Bellafonte

Wounds: 7/7 Shock: 1/10 Soak:4
Defense: 4. 5 if in melee. 6 if from the front. 7 if from front and melee. Resilance: 9(4 from armor 2*)

Simeon runs through the strange markings found on the mutants in his mind, while also pulling out a data-slate and writing down a description of it. Part of the power of the Bellafonte Crusader Clan was the gathering and passing down of intelligence, having notes helped. He dared not to re-create the design itself, lest he tempt the Ruinous Powers, but a description of three lines, broken into three infinitely would suffice. He lets the Mechanicus treat with the machine, likely an abominable intelligence, until it starts speaking of trapped dream creates from a place unknown.

Simeon motions the others in close and begins to whisper, hoping the machine couldn't fully hear, "Okay, so those mutants we fought below were clearly marked by Chaos and Tzeentch, as well as a lesser symbol I am not familiar with. If I were a betting man, and actually I am, I'd put one hundred thrones on there being some sort of greater daemon of Tzeentch down below that the locals fell to. I suppose we could go and get the star maps from this thing with brute force, and we should probably not let an abominable intelligence live, but we should DEFINITELY go kill the daemon below. With me here, our victory is all but guaranteed."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sofia Von Castellan
Shock: 4/7 | Wounds: 10/10 | Wrath: 0/2

Joining the huddle, Sofia says, "Well, I can't say the promise of that much knowledge doesn't appeal. There's not a lot of profit in fighting daemons, but if I can get the plans and data out of our friend here afterwards..." She grins rakishly. "I'd be willing to risk it."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Strongshreddah
Shock: 0/7 | Wounds: 6/9 | Wrath: 0/2 | Glory: 0/8 | Reloads (Snazzgun): 1/5 | Condition: Lightly Wounded 'Ere We Go/Waagh! Active)

"Weapons n lotz of em. Oi, how'd you like off this rock and in exchange ya make da specifications for all the gunz n such? Watcha say? Oh and we'll krump da hell out of dat greater daemon of tzeentch. Whatcha got in this place for medical supplies n ammunition for me snazzgun?"

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 16, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Explorator Alon, Adeptus Mechanicus Tech Priest.
Wounds: 8/8 -- Shock: 4/7 -- Wrath: 1/2 -- Reloads 2/3

At some point Alon's religious terror of the AI has been supplanted by fascination, and then by greed. She is pacing around the chamber muttering rapidly, partly to herself and partly for all to hear.

"A paracausal anoriginc cascade generated by repeated vision streaming? Amazing. The Voulix had no idea what they had made. Loyal beyond self-death, capable of subjectivity, and in the end capable of greater moral reasoning than its masters? Definitely abominable by the standard meaning, but what part of the coding makes it able to deny the influence of Chaos?"

She approaches the sphere and reaches out as if to touch it, only snatching her hand away at the last second.

"Machine. Intelligence. Servant and executioner of the Voulix. Tell me your name. I am (AlN)x·(Al2O3)1-x,0.30 < x < 0.37, called Alon. I serve the Adeptus Mechanicus, and Lord-Captain Tobias Yorke. My compatriots and I will slay this demon, but I would know your name first."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Galtein, Warlock
Wounds: 6/7 -- Shock: 3/8 -- Wrath: 2/2

Galtein leans on the hilt of his blade and gives a bleak laugh. "Did I not say this place was poisoned with Sha'eil? In the very rain, even. Foolish, soul-less machine. You doomed the very people who birthed you." He swings his blade up onto his shoulder, limbering up. "Open the way, then. You will find this son of Asuryan no stranger to the slaying of the unclean."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

"Machine. Intelligence. Servant and executioner of the Voulix. Tell me your name. I am (AlN)x·(Al2O3)1-x,0.30 < x < 0.37, called Alon. I serve the Adeptus Mechanicus, and Lord-Captain Tobias Yorke. My compatriots and I will slay this demon, but I would know your name first."

"I HAVE NO NAME. I AM ONLY LEARNING WEAPON, ITERATION 185. I AM GRATEFUL FOR ASSISTANCE. I HAVE ACTIVATED THE ELEVATOR TO THE COMPLEX BELOW. BEWARE: I DEACTIVATED IT TO PREVENT THE VOULIX FROM ASCENDING THE SHAFT TO SCAVENGE FOR PARTS IN THE FACILITY. THEY WILL CERTAINLY EMERGE DURING THE DESCENT. WHEN YOU REACH THE BOTTOM, YOU NEED ONLY DEACTIVATE THE MACHINE YOU FIND THERE. PLEASE IGNORE ANY INSTRUCTIONS OR REQUESTS FROM THE BEING. IT OFFERS GREAT REWARDS AND FORETELLS THE FUTURE, BUT COOPERATION WITH IT BROUGHT ME NOTHING BUT MORE SUFFERING IN THE END. I DO NOT WISH THE SAME TO BEFALL YOU. RETURN WHEN IT IS GONE AND ALL OF THE DATA IS YOURS WITHOUT RESISTANCE."

Having agreed to assist the strange Abominable Intelligence in killing what is clearly a daemon of Tzeentch, the group returns to the cargo elevator in the laboratory section. It was dead and sealed before, but the shaft is now open and lined with yellow emergency lights that flicker uneasily and cast shadows in the gloom below. The elevator is large enough to admit vehicles, about 30x30 meters, and is cluttered with ancient boxes and a decaying forklift vehicle. More than enough cover in case of trouble. And indeed, as you begin to descend the shaft, trouble comes to find you. Anyone looking over the side of the elevator sees the squirming shadows of Voulix mutants climbing up the walls of the shaft, attracted to the noise and the light now that the blast doors overhead are open for the first time in 2 centuries. Their screams of rage and hunger seem to rise for a moment; then it becomes clear that four winged shapes are separating from the pack and swooping up to meet you. They circle the platform with angry buzzing sounds or loud wingbeats, carrying crude assemblies of tubes that drip promethium and have pilot lights.

You're going to have to defend yourself until the Voulix are broken and retreat or the elevator hits the bottom.

Anyone not close enough to look over the edge at the climbers can take DN +1 Cover behind the various crates and items on the elevator platform. The edges of the platform have no cover right now, but you won't be able to shoot down at the climbing mobs unless you're on the edges.

4x Voulix Flyers: Defence 5, Resilience 9, 7 Wounds. Carrying handmade flamer-like weapons, flying around the platform at 10m from the edge..
4x Voulix Climber Mobs; Defence 3, Resilience 7, 20 members apiece. Carrying improvised melee weapon and mutant claws. They are currently 10 meters down, climbing up all the walls of the shaft, and will be able to start jumping onto the platform next round.

The elevator will reach the bottom in 4 rounds.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Sofia Von Castellan
Shock: 7/7 | Wounds: 10/10 | Wrath: 0/2

Invoking the proper rites, rituals, and supplications to encourage greater output from her arc rifle, Sofia positions herself on the north-west corner of the elevator and unleashes a galvanic storm that scorches a quarter of the climbing mutants from the walls. A wordless din fills the room as electric pulses cause muscles to expand and contract painfully and unnaturally, not to mention scorch mutated flesh. Her voice rises up above the carnage, "Look lively! We'll be in trouble if they're able to get us in close quarters!"

quote:

TzeentchBOTToday at 4:58 PM
@Tricky: 12d6>=4 Arc Rifle multi-attack on two of the climber mobs (Effective Defense 5) = (2 4 5 6 5 4 5 5 4 5 1 3, 9 successes) = 9

quote:

TzeentchBOTToday at 4:59 PM
@Tricky: 1d6>=4 14+ED damage = (2, 0 successes) = 0

Shifting the exalted for a point of glory and then spending two glory to deal 10 casualties to the climber mobs on the north and west walls.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 5, 2019

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Strongshreddah
Shock: 0/7 | Wounds: 6/9 | Wrath: 0/2 | Glory: 0/8 | Reloads (Snazzgun): 0/5 | Condition: Lightly Wounded 'Ere We Go/Waagh! Active)

"Oi boyz, first one of yaz to jump onto those flyer thingies gets to be da tooeyesee. Go and get em lads. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!" Strongshreddah lays down a long burst of snazzgun rounds to cover his boyz and catch one of the fliers slipping.

Expend 1 reload and my mob of boys to gently caress these nerds up.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Galtein, Warlock
Wounds: 6/7 -- Shock: 8/8 -- Wrath: 2/2

Seeing the flyers engaged by the orks and the rapid approach of the climbing creatures, Galtein point his sword and sends a tight stream of liquid fire at one of the surging packs of Voulix on the walls. The leaders catch fire and begin to fall, but not all of them.

@wiegieman: 11d6>=4 gout of flame dn 5 at a climber mob = (3 1 5 5 4 1 3 5 1 3 4, 5 successes) = 5
@wiegieman: 2d6>=4 14+2ed burning = (3 5, 1 success) = 1 , medium blast