Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vim Fuego posted:

Ahh, 2011 was a simpler time

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ultra Carp

Robo Captain posted:

Haha oh poo poo I just noticed he hacked the top flange off his I-joists.

hahahaha, thanks for pointing that out! I thought it was just osb sheets

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ultra Carp
How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vim Fuego posted:

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

i know all about Caro.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vim Fuego posted:

Wow. That dude is a serious piece of poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh, Grover. :rip: you piece of poo poo, GiP doesn't miss you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So is there any kind of ventilation or did they not consider exhaust fumes?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

electric car

also grover was a such an rear end in a top hat, he didn't want the right size pipes because he couldn't imagine washing his car and taking a shower.

He got owned in D&D over irans nuclear program.

As for mods banning...go check out the lepers colony D&D had a purge some months back.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fishstick posted:

The user experiences are .. less than stellar

Anyway, the skates have been canceled. “The car is the skate,” Musk says.

Hoooly poo poo loll

This is the most intensely half-assed thing I've ever seen. Hell even tech journalists can't suspend ther disbelief

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EBB posted:

Oh, Grover. :rip: you piece of poo poo, GiP doesn't miss you.

Someone post the one where he admits hr is a Beltway civilian contractor, but that using equations this works out to him being equivalent in rank to a captain (or some other officer rank i don't remember)

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Even at this clip, even with the bumps, the tight tunnel is mesmerising, almost calming. It feels natural to be zipping in this discrete pod.

loving xanax man, I swear to god

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

isnt this just an overdesigned train

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I also like how The Vision went from an overdesigned train cart being lowered into the ground and going at superspeed to your destination to "just a tunnel that you drive a car through"

So he invented tunnels

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Wasn't that supposed to be a near-frictionless vacuum-tunnel with cars moving at 700 mile per hour? Did he give up on that part and settle on a really-inefficient subway that you can crash and die in unless you're an expert professional driver?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
What was Grover a contractor in again? Was he IT or something?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Testikles posted:

What was Grover a contractor in again? Was he IT or something?

I believe he got some sort of basic training or certification so he could make the calls on his own hellblasted goon-castle of ineptitude. It's kind of like the Tower of Babel except there's only one dude and he's too retarded to understand even himself.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Twelve Batmans posted:

I believe he got some sort of basic training or certification so he could make the calls on his own hellblasted goon-castle of ineptitude. It's kind of like the Tower of Babel except there's only one dude and he's too retarded to understand even himself.

I meant before he started Groverhaus. Like he had worked as a contractor doing something irrelevant to house building for the military and figured he could wing the rest.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
He got his PE license so he could sign off on his own home inspections because no real engineers would.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ups_rail posted:

electric car

so the plan is to dig hundreds of miles of public infrastructure tunnels that can only be used by the 1% of people that own electric cars?

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
Boooorinnnggg. Got his rear end.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rutibex posted:

so the plan is to dig hundreds of miles of public infrastructure tunnels that can only be used by the 1% of people that own electric cars?
No it’s the 0.001% that own Teslas

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I liked when that dude cut open his bathroom to renovate it and goons who knew about construction/building houses were telling him to call a professional immediately. lol that his manly pride almost killed somebody. Wait , that’s not very funny .

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CPL593H posted:

Their FAQ states that the tunnel has excellent ventilation and that this will also prevent you from dying when the lithium battery pack on your car catches on fire.

Also, the tunnel's pedestrian escape path is located in the middle the road that the cars drive on.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Nah, the plan is to dig hundreds of miles of public infrastructure tunnels that can only be used by ol' Musky. It's pretty obviously not designed to have more than one car in there at a time.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

This was supposed to be a bank teller style pneumatic hypertube, this is no more advanced than the amusement park model t ride

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Incredible.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Fabricated posted:

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/891475977183739905

Also here's the Groverhaus thread that killed LF- still to this day one of the biggest laughs I've ever had in my entire life

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410173

Giving me doobie/starcitizen/dayZ vibes with the simultaneous discussion of the F-22, Grover and Louisgod

lol

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.
Imagining what bouncing off those curbs in the Musk Tunnel would do to the axles of your car, and simply loling.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Groooooooovvveerrrrrrr

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

turn off the TV posted:

Also, the tunnel's pedestrian escape path is located in the middle the road that the cars drive on.

The pedestrian escape path, covered in tarps, almost certainly hiding a rat's nest of wires and sensors they couldn't be bothered to bolt down or run through conduit

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Kazak posted:

This was supposed to be a bank teller style pneumatic hypertube, this is no more advanced than the amusement park model t ride

New Yorkers actually prototyped that poo poo back in 1870:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_Pneumatic_Transit

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

NoWake posted:

The pedestrian escape path, covered in tarps, almost certainly hiding a rat's nest of wires and sensors they couldn't be bothered to bolt down or run through conduit

Holy poo poo lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NoWake posted:

I also appreciate that there's no signs of the things like "ventilation" and "emergency exits" in the grover tunnel.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Looks like a sewer tunnel.

And there's a metaphor for grover and/or musk in there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

EorayMel posted:

Looks like a sewer tunnel.

And there's a metaphor for grover and/or musk in there.

This is because it's a sewer tunnel.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/19/18148061/boring-tunnel-test-drive-hawthorne-tesla-elon-musk

quote:

Godot, like all of The Boring Company’s drills, is 14 feet in diameter; it was previously used for digging a sewer in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yo, “boring” discussion here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877653

A while back we ended up with 8 Elon threads

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Ultra Carp
This is a GROVER thread

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vim Fuego posted:

This is a GROVER thread

Frankly I’m don’t understand his intensive purposes.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Is it just me or has technology entered it's circus phase? Everything's a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Defenistrator posted:

Is it just me or has technology entered it's circus phase? Everything's a joke.

This is what happens when one trick ponies think they have more to give the world.