Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Who gets deployed to the frontlines and thinks “I’d better pack a football just in case”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

A hero

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
They probably just used the severed head of one of their slain enemies.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

You dont think marines pack their Nintendo switches before shipping out to Afghanistan or whatever?

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Have they made a movie about this, or is my mind making up memories?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

my dog died im sad posted:

Have they made a movie about this, or is my mind making up memories?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"Remember it?! How could I forget it?! I was never offside; I could not BELIEVE that decision!"

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Every day of WWI should've been the Christmas truce, IMO

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chrs Gry posted:

Who gets deployed to the frontlines and thinks “I’d better pack a football just in case”?

On the opening day of the Somme Offensive, a British officer named W P Nevill kicked two footballs into no-man's land towards the German trenches and promised to reward the troops that reached it first.

Nevill was killed minutes later and the British army suffered about 60,000 casualties that day.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Go wide! *tackled*

huff huff, is there an option for a win?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La4Dcd1aUcE

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Chrs Gry posted:

:decorum:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cessna posted:

On the opening day of the Somme Offensive, a British officer named W P Nevill kicked two footballs into no-man's land towards the German trenches and promised to reward the troops that reached it first.

Nevill was killed minutes later and the British army suffered about 60,000 casualties that day.

officers were fuckin morons during ww1 and also all the other times

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I can't wait for the fortnite war of 2026. Gonna do that banned carleton dance as i build extradimensional fortifications that appear out of nowhere.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disappointed that nobody just started shooting. It's a free way to up your k/d ratio

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Hustlin Floh posted:

Disappointed that nobody just started shooting. It's a free way to up your k/d ratio

in some places they did

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol at all of you falling for the big lie that is world war i. it never happened

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

lmfao

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chrs Gry posted:

They thought the war was going to be a cracking jolly jaunt that would last a few months at worst.

Boy were they :wrong:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

officers were fuckin morons during ww1 and also all the other times

Congrats on your commission.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Ww1 was pretty cool

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

Congrats on your commission.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Cessna posted:

Owned scrub

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Yeah that was the first Christmas on the front lines. It really freaked out the generals and they made sure it never happened again.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

While this certainly happened on parts of the line, and I know it's been limited in scope.
There's always a part of me that's like "Alright call up gunny, he's gonna love meeting 2nd Lt. Scoper" like there was enough hooch for that to happen after a good run.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
oi m8 ya knicked me knee now me bleedin' out eh?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Chrs Gry posted:

soccer ball

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The Germans won 5 - 0

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mnoba posted:

soccer ball

it's clearly an american football and just one of many anachronisms that prove it is staged

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
world war i is one of the saddest tales in the history of mankind.... maybe the saddest.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cessna posted:

Typical dumb jocks. At least the nerds...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Moseley

quote:

When World War I broke out in Western Europe, Moseley left his research work at the University of Oxford behind to volunteer for the Royal Engineers of the British Army
Moseley was shot in the head by a Turkish sniper while in the act of telephoning a military order.
Experts have speculated that Moseley could otherwise have been awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1916. As a consequence, the British government instituted new policies for eligibility for combat duty.

Never mind.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
They should've shot their officers, that way they could've kept playing.

Then again shooting your officers is the solution to most problems.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I hope they sucked and hosed too

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ww1 was pretty metal

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Icochet posted:

They should've shot their officers, that way they could've kept playing.

Then again shooting your officers is the solution to most problems.

Yeah I mean obviously I can't fully know what it was like to be some grunt but if I just watched thousands of dudes charge at machine guns and get nowhere close and then my CO is all "alright boys our turn once more unto the breech!!!" I'd either immediately feign getting shot as soon as we left the trench or just frag that dude. Or pretend I had some important secret missive to deliver to the general staff and desert.

Or some combo of the three.

What are they gonna do, shoot me?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 21, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Ww1 was pretty metal
Agreed. Like the first World War, metal is intensely stupid.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Laterite posted:

They thought the war was going to be a cracking jolly jaunt that would last a few months at worst.

Boy were they :wrong:

To be fair, up to that point in Europe warfare was basically a gentlemen's sport.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Do ya think any of them had a one night stand with a soldier from the other side and then the next day had to kill them and cried?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

dudeness posted:

Do ya think any of them had a one night stand with a soldier from the other side and then the next day had to kill them and cried?

They had to shuffle a number of troops away from that particular area because they couldn't muster the urge to get back to killing each other after playing footy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Weaponized soccer riots should have been banned alongside chemical weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
if you like this you should watch the movie Joyeux Noel