Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tupperwarez posted:

For someone with such short legs, it's impressive how easily Pat can put his foot in his mouth :haw:

But yeah, wow. Any worse and he would have been asking, "Hey Woolie, what brand of cigarettes are you planning to go out to get?"

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the problem with what Pat said wasn't the "are you going to be like black parents" part.

it was the part where the other option offered was "normal parents."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Woolies mother is/was one of those hyper religious weirdos so the context was there but, in true orb fashion, Pat just hit the pavement and bounced away instead of sticking the landing

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Unless I'm mixing up podcast with streams I think Woolie had just done a bit about kids with black parents vs other kids, and what you could get away with, etc, so Pat was just playing off that and what you mentioned, but just worded in a really dumb and bad way.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
OH poo poo GET IN HERE WOOLIE AND V ARE PLAYING ROCKSMITH

https://twitch.tv/woolieversus

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Big Scary Owl posted:

Someone needs to clip him playing Life Will Change and add that version to future "Woolie tries to do something badass and fails" videos

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Big Scary Owl posted:

That's got to be one of the biggest copyright-strike-magnets Woolie's ever done.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

A good poster posted:

That's got to be one of the biggest copyright-strike-magnets Woolie's ever done.

They played video game songs that were modded into the game. Theoretically it should be fine, but if not there's still the mini-games that teach fundamentals and the jam sessions.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB1FRhHYyTA

(Pat was making fun of homeopathy that's the joke)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Looks like Paige finally finished playing through the base game of DS2 after a year and opted to skip the DLC and a few optional bosses at the end. She wants to jump into DS3, which will be interesting since the bosses are going to be a lot harder on her than the base DS2 ones are.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Almost too bad - some of DS2's DLC areas are interesting, if a bit more unforgiving on the difficulty side.

I don't know if it was just shifting my playstyle/build, but DS3 almost felt like it ended up being the easiest of the 3 for me. But then again I did most of DS2's dlc and optional bosses.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I realise I'm in the minority here but I love Matt's stuff and I watch most of his scripted stuff and hardly watch the other two anymore. I find his whu happen vehicles to be super interesting. They're especially good when he's doing older stuff. Like, I there's some crazy poo poo I learned about from the Zelda CDI video, like how Phillips eletronic had permission from Nintendo to make six different games involving any nintendo franchise they wanted .

The ones where he does newer games kinda sucks, because it lacks those details. But I'm glad he's made it 300,000 subscribers.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 11, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB1FRhHYyTA

(Pat was making fun of homeopathy that's the joke)

"Pat's too slow to be gay"

"WOAH WOAH WOAH, like, mentally or???"

I don't love a lot of Pat's streams these days but he is still pretty fuckin good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That entire stream is legendary and I am tempted to record the entire thing including twitch chat on the side because it's so great to see the chat just constantly befuddled by their rambling

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Monaghan posted:

I realise I'm in the minority here but I love Matt's stuff and I watch most of his scripted stuff and hardly watch the other two anymore. I find his whu happen vehicles to be super interesting. They're especially good when he's doing older stuff. Like, I there's some crazy poo poo I learned about from the Zelda CDI video, like how Phillips eletronic had permission from Nintendo to make six different games involving any nintendo franchise they wanted .

The ones where he does newer games kinda sucks, because it lacks those details. But I'm glad he's made it 300,000 subscribers.

Yeah, I hate that he feels like he has to strike while the iron's hot sometimes for maximum views to appease the Algorithm like with Fallout 76. Stuff more than worthy of being included dropped, like, the next week after he did it or possibly sooner because it's FO 76. Matt's WH? is also good because he's really considered in his opinion too, thanks to his tester background, like honestly praising Mass Effect: Andromeda for being as playable as it was for all the stuff it went through like switching to an engine remarkably unsuitable for the game.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Oxyclean posted:

Almost too bad - some of DS2's DLC areas are interesting, if a bit more unforgiving on the difficulty side.

I don't know if it was just shifting my playstyle/build, but DS3 almost felt like it ended up being the easiest of the 3 for me. But then again I did most of DS2's dlc and optional bosses.

I think DS3's combat was a bit easier, mostly due to being post-Bloodborne and FromSoft applying a bunch of lessons from that game to 3. 3 also being a lot more linear doesn't help anything; there's hardly ever a point where you're going "hmm, what do I do now?"

Being more linear isn't a bad thing, but I liked being able to go wherever in DS2, whereas DS3 points you in a direction and says "Go this way and don't stop."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Shinji2015 posted:

I think DS3's combat was a bit easier, mostly due to being post-Bloodborne and FromSoft applying a bunch of lessons from that game to 3. 3 also being a lot more linear doesn't help anything; there's hardly ever a point where you're going "hmm, what do I do now?"

Being more linear isn't a bad thing, but I liked being able to go wherever in DS2, whereas DS3 points you in a direction and says "Go this way and don't stop."

They all have their own pros and cons to me, like Des, DS1 and 2, and Bloodborne to a degree all have that fun "I need to plan a route to get this weapon I want to try out" aspect that you can't get in 3 as much since it has much firmer gates to different areas. But maybe that'll be better for Paige to have to sit down and deal with a boss blocking her path when she can't give up and try somewhere else as much? Like the Executioner's Chariot was the 2nd to last boss she beat because she kept getting sad and asking to go somewhere else. It'll be interesting to see how long she takes on the final endgame DLC bosses in 3.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shinji2015 posted:

Something I'll never understand about DS3 is how it avoided all the complains about it's locals making no sense. Like sure the kingdoms are smooshing together but even in a single kingdom you've got like "Oh yeah so right past this crypt is the Lake of Satan and off to the side is The infinite pit of the giant lord." DS2's impossible geometry got so many tears at release which I always found very dumb because it was really cool? Like the whole setting felt way more fantastical and dreamlike which fit the story and gameplay a lot stronger than DS1's capsule world that you somehow were meant to believe was once a functioning world at some point.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DS3 literally does not have anything quite as jarring as Earthen Peak -> Iron Keep.

I kinda agree one of the themes of DS2 is about the hallowing experience, and the opening of the game talks about the dreamlike qualities where stuff blends together, but the fact that there's like one super jarring transition, then a bunch of ones that look like they're just slightly off feels like it was not something they were playing into. Maybe if DS2 leaned into it and the whole back half was increasingly bizarre geometry and transitions that made no sense it might have not felt like an anomaly. But I'm pretty sure it was literally just because DS2 was a bit rushed.

e: I also think it's a matter of comparison. DS2 was being compared to DS1, so to go from "I can see X from Y, and it feels about in the right place" to "where the gently caress is Iron Keep?" was a big difference.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

DS3 literally does not have anything quite as jarring as Earthen Peak -> Iron Keep.

I kinda agree one of the themes of DS2 is about the hallowing experience, and the opening of the game talks about the dreamlike qualities where stuff blends together, but the fact that there's like one super jarring transition, then a bunch of ones that look like they're just slightly off feels like it was not something they were playing into. Maybe if DS2 leaned into it and the whole back half was increasingly bizarre geometry and transitions that made no sense it might have not felt like an anomaly. But I'm pretty sure it was literally just because DS2 was a bit rushed.

e: I also think it's a matter of comparison. DS2 was being compared to DS1, so to go from "I can see X from Y, and it feels about in the right place" to "where the gently caress is Iron Keep?" was a big difference.

Half the zones in the back half exist in the same physical space cause you walked down a different path that wraps itself back around on itself over and over and the whole bit about the Castle somehow being on top of a covered lake which is somehow on top of an empty botomless pit where the graves to the dead are kept is just as weird and jarring as Iron keep.

They totally lean into that poo poo throughout the base game.

The DLC sadly steps back from it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The earthen peak - iron keep transition is so obviously intentional. This comes up a lot but it would require everyone involved to just not notice that you go up into a castle sitting on a lake of lava. It's not impossible that they just hosed up but I think it's improbable. The problem DS 2 has is that certain people are set against it. So there's no benefit of the doubt being given. They dislike it so things like the bizarre transitions are perceived as flaws rather than arts direction.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regarde Aduck posted:

The earthen peak - iron keep transition is so obviously intentional. This comes up a lot but it would require everyone involved to just not notice that you go up into a castle sitting on a lake of lava. It's not impossible that they just hosed up but I think it's improbable. The problem DS 2 has is that certain people are set against it. So there's no benefit of the doubt being given. They dislike it so things like the bizarre transitions are perceived as flaws rather than arts direction.

I buy that it's intentional but DS2 doesn't lean enough into that kind of dreamlike atmosphere IMO to make it feel like it's intentional, to make it actually feel like something other than a slapdash mistake or paperthin justification (haven't played it since near launch fwiw). It's something I think Bloodborne could get away with (fighting Rem is basically the same), but in DS2 it just feels off.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

ds2 was clearly rushed and had a lot of last minute changes. i wouldnt be surprised if elevator destinations got moved around

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

I mean, I kinda like DS2 and like 100% on the "no, don't skip it you idiot" camp. I don't think the developers didn't notice it, I think it was just kind of...rushed? I want to say there was even some datamining or convincing theory-crafting that suggested that the elevator was originally meant to go down or something, or something else was supposed to be up there.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Half the zones in the back half exist in the same physical space cause you walked down a different path that wraps itself back around on itself over and over and the whole bit about the Castle somehow being on top of a covered lake which is somehow on top of an empty botomless pit where the graves to the dead are kept is just as weird and jarring as Iron keep.

They totally lean into that poo poo throughout the base game.
I guess it just doesn't hit the same way. Like, the castle has this big structure to it, on like a big hill/mountain. A big cavern underneath isn't that strange.

Going into a windmill then taking an elevator up into lethal lava land is just strange. Is Earthen peak below the lava? Why can't I see any of this from below? It's the difference between "strange and/or improbable" and "outright impossible."

I suppose another good point of comparison is Ash Lake in DS1. It's existence is kind of strange, but I found the suspension of disbelief easier because of it's placement below - the trip down is long enough, and the area has enough "this place is strange and magical" presentation that it seems to suggest it's particularly special.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I guess it just doesn't hit the same way. Like, the castle has this big structure to it, on like a big hill/mountain. A big cavern underneath isn't that strange.

The castle is built not on a mountain but on giant stone pillars above a giant open expanse wasn't it? Like you walk up the mountain up to a long bridge.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

I'm about two hours into this Pat/Paige/Eli stream of nothing being played, and this is madness.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I always assume the maps in the Souls game are compressed for gameplay on top of the merging worlds thing and you are just getting the basic feel of an area anyway. Like I picture the trip up the Valley of the Drakes canyon to Blight Town might be a day's trip instead of something you could just run up in 30 seconds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doos posted:

I'm about two hours into this Pat/Paige/Eli stream of nothing being played, and this is madness.
yeah it's fantastic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this killed me

dragon's crown sorceress, of course

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

scary ghost dog posted:

ds2 was clearly rushed and had a lot of last minute changes. i wouldnt be surprised if elevator destinations got moved around

It was probably meant to move down instead, at the very least. In the initial reveal trailer there was even footage that implies they originally intended for the Iron Keep to have a whole walk up lava zone where the manikins hung out with their cool masks on.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So does Woolie eventually pay the oil prospecting rat in TTYD?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arbite posted:

So does Woolie eventually pay the oil prospecting rat in TTYD?

I could've swore he did and had a big freakout over paying money for something for like 10 minutes like you'd never earn 100 coins in the game ever again.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I played BB once and really don't intend to play it again because I like the story and art but am not really fond of the combat changes (and Sekiro lost me entirely in that regard, but by that point it's just a different game with some inherited mechanics). DS2 I'm not in love with the story or anything (although there's good stuff in there, like Cat), but is PROBABLY my favorite gameplaywise, I've played it 8 times across the original and scholar, the build variety is unmatched unless you slap Cinders on DS3. It's also got the best PVP.

Oh, and Majula is the best base camp. If you want to talk about Like A Dream... majula can't be beat.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

I played BB once and really don't intend to play it again because I like the story and art but am not really fond of the combat changes (and Sekiro lost me entirely in that regard, but by that point it's just a different game with some inherited mechanics). DS2 I'm not in love with the story or anything (although there's good stuff in there, like Cat), but is PROBABLY my favorite gameplaywise, I've played it 8 times across the original and scholar, the build variety is unmatched unless you slap Cinders on DS3. It's also got the best PVP.

Oh, and Majula is the best base camp. If you want to talk about Like A Dream... majula can't be beat.

:thanks:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So what was up with Luigi’s last story? Is the joke that he actually lost and is lying? Or that he’s been very prose about everything up to that point but he doesn’t know how to end the story?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

SgtSteel91 posted:

So what was up with Luigi’s last story? Is the joke that he actually lost and is lying? Or that he’s been very prose about everything up to that point but he doesn’t know how to end the story?

The joke is that he spent his whole adventure infatuated with this princess he'd never actually seen, and in the end he manages to rescue both her and her true love from the bad guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've only recently gotten into Woolie's Let's Plays and I'm loving his KOTOR 2 playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DKXJcS1m1I

That conversation with Atris is phenomenal but more so is watching Woolie and Little V laugh at Kreia tormenting Atton.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I could've swore he did and had a big freakout over paying money for something for like 10 minutes like you'd never earn 100 coins in the game ever again.
I think that was just a bit.

Rody One Half posted:

I like BB but people really leaning into the "shield engender passivity" makes me more salty then people playing up the "Prepare to Die" difficulty stuff of DS1.

gently caress you I'll stop being passive the second these enemies don't swing a million times a second.

Rody One Half posted:

Bearer Seek Seek Lest

e:
This came across my timeline totally unrelated to Pat, but it immediately made me think of Pat:
https://twitter.com/theartsieguy/status/1304957419123019776?s=20

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 15, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The notion that a gun on display to be sold is chambered and loaded is deeply troubling to me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

The notion that a gun on display to be sold is chambered and loaded is deeply troubling to me.

Option 1) Thaaaats America!
Option 2) He loaded it with his super speed OR it is one of his many powers.

But the more I look at it, the more the hand reaching for the gun looks weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 15, 2020