Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I’m pretty sure that guy did give them an update one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Geez, people have been making Darkside Woolie comparisons all week, but never has it been more explicit than today's Arkham. Nearly half of the episode is dead silent- no game soundtrack, no commentary, just heavy breathing and Woolie making guttural, unhappy noises. The rest is him taking swipes at the game or his chat. Like, holy poo poo dude- nobody is forcing him to play it, his view counts are awful, and he's just plowing forward like it was 2008 and a high volume of output was better than a low volume of actual, edited, polished content.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Does woolie ever take a vacation

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Geez, people have been making Darkside Woolie comparisons all week, but never has it been more explicit than today's Arkham. Nearly half of the episode is dead silent- no game soundtrack, no commentary, just heavy breathing and Woolie making guttural, unhappy noises. The rest is him taking swipes at the game or his chat. Like, holy poo poo dude- nobody is forcing him to play it, his view counts are awful, and he's just plowing forward like it was 2008 and a high volume of output was better than a low volume of actual, edited, polished content.

Is Reggie there?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Is Reggie there?

Yeah, he's trying his best to add interjections at times, but a lot of it is still straight-up dead air.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The audio issues with Arkham was enough to make it unwatchable anyway imo. Glad to hear I'm not missing much.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Huh. The Yakuza 0 playthrough is on hiatus until further notice. I hope nothing happened there.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Huh. The Yakuza 0 playthrough is on hiatus until further notice. I hope nothing happened there.

Did Woolie give a reason?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nope. That's why I hope nothing happened.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Clip-On Fedora posted:

For a reason other than playing Like A Dragon?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Neo_Crimson posted:

For a reason other than playing Like A Dragon?

No that's not continuing either. Presumably Little V is just busy.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm assuming Little V is having a musical vacation. He needs one after hearing Machinegun Kiss in english.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Grouchio posted:

I'm assuming Little V is having a musical vacation. He needs one after hearing Machinegun Kiss in english.

English Machine Gun Kiss rules, all the english karaoke is precious.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I really hope Woolie gives Arkham City a chance, because the boss fights in it are so much better than all the Banes.

On the other hand, if he's so determined to poo poo all over a game because he refuses to learn how it works, I kinda hope he doesn't force himself to do City too.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

If he's just going to release an LP where he has to cut off half the sound, it probably should have been nixed. The VODs of Arkham are kind of a slog. Him really not vibing with it should have also been nail in the coffin.

That being said, I am not going to pretend I haven't spite finished projects.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The audio thing really should have just canceled the LP as sad as that is, but yeah the part where he just randomly decided to start beating himself with the controller going "muh fighting games" instead of listening to the game the chat or Reggie trying to tell him it's rhythm and prompts that matter just

Why even bother

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's just attacking on a tempo, basically, right? Woolie's mind seemed to break under the rhythm game suggestion cause I guess he thought that meant guitar hero and was flustered and confused about how he attacks back.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

It's just attacking on a tempo, basically, right? Woolie's mind seemed to break under the rhythm game suggestion cause I guess he thought that meant guitar hero and was flustered and confused about how he attacks back.

It's not even that, it's "punch a guy until he falls over, move to the next guy, counter and use gadgets as needed". Just don't get hit or take too long between enemies and that's it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

It's just attacking on a tempo, basically, right?

Yeah, you press the attack button with the timing of batman's hits, weaving in counters (and a various other things) when necessary/you feel like it. You don't even need much timing for it, just be vaguely in the right.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Arkham Asylum a worse LP than Ultra Despair Girls?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Is Arkham Asylum a worse LP than Ultra Despair Girls?

Good god no, I'd rather frustrated silence than UDG Liam

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

It's exactly the same as every other game of this type: Shadow of Mordor, Captain America, Spider-Man, etc. It's all just an order of operations to get to the finale of punching someone.

Is there a counter prompt over someone nearby's head? Press that. If not, punch them.

Later games introduce hindrances like riot shield or stun rod equipped enemies and defeat them you either stun and jump on them or jump over them and then punch them in the back of the head. And that's not even getting into the gadget combos they introduce.

There's really not much to the first game, it's just well made and fun to play.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

God, Woolie's Miserable Slogathon continued even into the credits...

quote:

Joker: I fed Scarecrow to Croc, lol.
Ten seconds later...
Woolie: The game never even told us what happened to scarecrow, I guess it was a bad game and forgot to cover that plot point.

I think my favorite part might've been when Woolie decided to own the chat by saying "Counter" every time he pressed counter, to prove that he was doing the right thing at the right time and it was the game's fault... and every single time he threw up a counter, there was nothing onscreen to counter. (And then he broke his combo and got punched in the face by a clown.)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wonder if the timeline where Woolie played AA upon first recommendation, and did so off-camera, has him as a huge fan who keeps saying more games need to be like Asylum and get that metroidvania feel.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's just the usual Woolie problems where he gets an idea into his head and stubbornly refuses to change his mind.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woolie's opening line when Castle Superbeast started

"I'm the most open minded person, I'd like to think"

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Roth posted:

It's just the usual Woolie problems where he gets an idea into his head and stubbornly refuses to change his mind.

I think what really made him so insufferable in this LP is that it wasn't just the Woolie Way stuff, it was straight-up "I do not like this thing, therefore this thing is bad."

Like, holy crap- I'm listening to the credits, and in the middle of making GBS threads on the combat he went "It should be more like Ghost of Tsushima where, like, you hit a guy, then use a gadget to make some room, then maneuver around and create a distraction over here..." and that is literally Arkham's combat. He is straight-up describing what he spent 10+ hours refusing to learn, because it didn't do whatever the gently caress he demands games do to appease The Woolie.

On the plus side apparently one of the games he was considering for the slot AA got was New Vegas, and I cannot imagine Woolie getting through a 60+ hour RPG whose primary mode of storytelling involved reading. (I am still entertained by that thing where he tried to solve a riddle but thought 'ratcatcher' said 'ratchet-er' and spend like five minutes taking photos of statues of women.)

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I hope someone makes a compilation of the Arkham videos cause it seems like a perfect thing for that

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Note: Kinda blitzed through episode 11 through midterms so not a lot to report there.

SBFC 12: We Gotta Get Back to Space

I kinda forgot how many big moments kinda hit in some of these earlier episodes as I've revisited them. The dumb space meme, Matt getting Zach, etc all kinda originate from this episode. Another thing that is pretty funny is how relevant to some of the current discussions the two are having. Woolie is forced to eat crow mid episode about some of the fighting game new related to SFIV and him saying "nah double ultras won't be a thing at all" then gets smoked when that is announced exactly in the way he said it couldn't. The gang goes on a pretty early tirade about Kingdom Hearts, which Pat is currently lambasting, etc. All around good times. The questions section gets kinda spicy especially when they start talking about fanservice in media and their thoughts on it. The gang largely sees it as a net negative but notes things like Bayonetta where it actually works Liam goes in hard and mentions Rapelay as a game where it has to do something for it, which like, drat dude. You sure gave an example, but drat. I'm less worried about that line with hindsight, but on face value, that's a yike. Final question kinda shows the sausage being made and how much certain processes go. Hearing them talk about pre-OBS recording methods gave my editor brain a panic attack. Next episode is early console launch reviews, so the whole "this is a weird time capsule of games culture" is starting to get real spicy in a way I am excited for.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 31, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Omi no Kami posted:

I think what really made him so insufferable in this LP is that it wasn't just the Woolie Way stuff, it was straight-up "I do not like this thing, therefore this thing is bad."

Like, holy crap- I'm listening to the credits, and in the middle of making GBS threads on the combat he went "It should be more like Ghost of Tsushima where, like, you hit a guy, then use a gadget to make some room, then maneuver around and create a distraction over here..." and that is literally Arkham's combat. He is straight-up describing what he spent 10+ hours refusing to learn, because it didn't do whatever the gently caress he demands games do to appease The Woolie.

On the plus side apparently one of the games he was considering for the slot AA got was New Vegas, and I cannot imagine Woolie getting through a 60+ hour RPG whose primary mode of storytelling involved reading. (I am still entertained by that thing where he tried to solve a riddle but thought 'ratcatcher' said 'ratchet-er' and spend like five minutes taking photos of statues of women.)

What made that even better was someone in chat must have pointed out "That's what Arkham combat is", because Woolie then just says "Oh, that's Arkham." and immediately trails off.

And yeah, calling out COUNTER every time he pressed it, when the prompt wasn't even on the screen.

Whoever told Woolie "Arkham combat is like a fighting game" needs to explain what the gently caress they meant, because Woolie really took that to heart.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Whoever told Woolie "Arkham combat is like a fighting game" needs to explain what the gently caress they meant, because Woolie really took that to heart.

I don't think anyone actually said that and Woolie immediately just went there once he saw a combo counter.

Similar reason why he thought Monster Hunter was a DMC game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

MH is a DMC game when you're baller enough to use the insect glaive.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neo_Crimson posted:

All the more baffling that he played MHW with LANCE of all weapons if he wanted a DMC experience.

On that note, has Woolie expressed any interest in playing MH Rise at all? I know he was all hype for Palamutes being a thing when the game first got revealed but has he mentioned the game at all since then?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TaurusOxford posted:

All the more baffling that he played MHW with LANCE of all weapons if he wanted a DMC experience.

On that note, has Woolie expressed any interest in playing MH Rise at all? I know he was all hype for Palamutes being a thing when the game first got revealed but has he mentioned the game at all since then?

He's excited for it, but on the level of "I will play it when I have time to get to it and not spoil myself with the demos" rather than getting it day 1 and playing asap

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don't think anyone actually said that and Woolie immediately just went there once he saw a combo counter.

Yardbomb posted:

MH is a DMC game when you're baller enough to use the insect glaive.

This gives me a thought of everyone having the power to make Woolie fall apart by just giving him wrong information mid game like you're jinxing him.

*Woolie performing a perfectly fine combo with Juri in SFV*

'Hey did you know that SFV is actually an RTS?'

*Woolie's muscle memory reverses and his hands begin to fade out of existence like Back To The Future*

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"I'd rather play uniclear than melty blood"

The grossest opinion ever expressed on this podcast

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Woolies mind goblins are dressed as fighting game characters

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

SBFC Episode 12: Never a Good Day with Swamp-rear end

Legitimately a banger episode from start to finish. Opening monologue bit was them all talking about swamp-rear end so this is true greatness from the start. This immediately transitions to pat mentioning his dad berating him in person over "So Ariel just wanted the dick, huh" and that got the real ugly laugh out of me.

This episode is penultimate "hey the Xbox One on launch was a half-baked poo poo show" and hearing that specific moment in time via time capsule is fun. I think between gamepass and the general respect Xbox has for their history with backwards compatibility, I'd forgotten how bad the original XBO launch was. Hearing the power gap differences was interesting as well especially since the last gen consoles also came out somewhat under-powered by the end of the generation. Early talks about how exclusives sold the console to Matt and Woolie are pretty interesting especially since the only reason I bought an Xbox One was, well, Dead Rising 3. Talk about the MadCatz TE2 came up and I was reminded about how they talked about the prototype of it a few episodes ago. I went back and actually looked up the prototype design, which was basically the final design.

Latter half of the episode is the guys talking about Notch pre-cancelling, Phil Fish and the general scandal around Ziff Davis selling the rights to display their awards to Notch. Late-stage magazine culture was kinda wild, but knowing what I do about how ZDM handles their poo poo, this kinda falls in line with stories other aging games journalists have said. Zynga comes up in regards to the Mattel lawsuit over discount Scrabble, which hey I forgot fuckin Zynga exists and the long-term fears we all had about mobile games just replacing all of our console stuff.

Lettertime consists of Woolie getting exposed for having wack rear end french and the guys talking about pets. Pat self admitting "I'm too irresponsible for pets" is really funny in hindsight of him being #1TWITTER PET DAD nowadays. In the middle of pet talk, Pat drops "Walt Disney was a nazi" which, yeah gently caress Walt Disney. Woolie wanting to name a corgi Blitzkrieg rules, actually. Segment kinda ends with Liam talking about how he almost got a hedgehog until the mother ate all the children which is kinda dark.

The gang then talks about crying at video games, which, is a pretty candid and refreshing thing considering 2014. Liam opening himself up and admitting he cried at Heavy Rain and MGS 4 was pretty candid. Pat, Woolie and Liam all admit to crying at the end of MGS 3 as well which is pretty spot on. Pat mentioned crying at FF7 at the ripe age of eleven is also kinda funny considering how wild they were into FF7. Matt mentions Ocarina of Time and crying at saying goodbye to Saria, which I personally can empathize with seeing as "saying goodbye to friends" hits me pretty hard these days. TLoU comes up a bit, but I understand it because it was kinda novel in 2013.

Segment ends with the gang talking about getting teary eyed at Up, then Liam brings up Pacific Rim bringing him to happy tears at the suit up and honestly, same bro. Big fuckin' same. Gonna cut it there because those are the questions that kinda stick out to me.

One thing I've kinda keyed into with these podcasts is how the energy feels. I'd kinda worried that these podcasts would just be the confirmation of "man they cared so much on the old days" and I don't think that's the case. Pat and Woolie have definitely aged, but like, there's not a huge energy difference between them, especially considering this week's CSB where they tried to go back to a similar structure as the old podcasts. It's a different vibe, but it kinda cements my belief they need a third person, at least as mediator, because the flow of these things is lighting quick which helps because some of it is pretty cringe. Next episode is "Escalate Immediately to Gun Violence" and let me tell you friends, I am here for it.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

SethSeries posted:

Next episode is "Escalate Immediately to Gun Violence" and let me tell you friends, I am here for it.

I want to say I'm enjoying reading about these. Keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rody One Half posted:

"I'd rather play uniclear than melty blood"

The grossest opinion ever expressed on this podcast

did he say he didn't like it or that it was bad? melty blood is one of the greatest games ever made and has long reaching influence over the fighting game genre. at this point, disparaging melty blood is like saying ST is bad, you're just wrong

and anyway, good luck playing uniclr ever again with its dogshit netcode