Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

With game grumps mentioned, I just wanna say thank loving god they finally caught up to the times. They were still doing like 10 minute videos until just recently with covid and changed to 30 or about as the standard now, it used to be agonizing to wait for them to make any progress whatsoever in 10 minute chunks and it also just cut off the flow of conversations and stuff so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My gripe with Grumps is their channel is incomprehensible at a glance because they no longer number videos like sane LP channels, it's all that stupid analytics friendly titles and thumbnails that leaves me unsure if it's a one off, compilation or 3rd episode of an ongoing series.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

My gripe with game grumps is Danny ended up being a sex pest :/

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

My gripe with game grumps is Danny ended up being a sex pest :/

Didn't it end up getting debunked to a part, like people were fudging stuff and everyone was clearly above age before anything was said or done? Still not great at all to get with fans, but a far shot from what the crazy stalker subreddit was pushing it as at first.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This was the thread I was linked awhile back regarding debunking?
https://twitter.com/Silentspirit420/status/1373764324854992896?s=20
From what I recall, like Yardbomb said, it wasn't great, but it wasn't really what people were trying to make it out to be, and the "other accusations" the reddit thread claimed never materialized?

That sub skeeved me out tbh. Not that it would necessarily make accusations less credible alone, but like a whole sub for ranting/complaining about a youtube channel...?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Was literally anyone even surprised Danny is using his youtube fame to repeatedly pump and dump his fans so he could finally achieve his glamorous 'rockstar' life he always talks about, yuck

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

That sub skeeved me out tbh. Not that it would necessarily make accusations less credible alone, but like a whole sub for ranting/complaining about a youtube channel...?

Like as lovely as it is to say, that place being the ground zero for it all made me side eye it a whole lot. Cause it'd be one thing if it was just complaining or ranting about like, mundane normal things, but a whole lot of that sub are Jontron nazis and similar asswipes playing their own kiwifarms and it's gross.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

it wasn't like anything illegal, and the grooming allegations were false bullshit, but it was still hosed up and predation on people who looked up to him. like someone made a play entirely about her relationship with him. lovebombing people and then ghosting them after you hosed'em is a lovely, lovely thing to do.

i think the vinny vinesauce allegations almost immediately afterwards were complete bullshit, with multiple people who "made" the allegations came out and said they were taken wildly out of context and still had good relationships with him.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 13, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

it wasn't like anything illegal, and the grooming allegations were false bullshit, but it was still hosed up and predation on people who looked up to him. like someone made a play entirely about her relationship with him. lovebombing people and then ghosting them after you hosed'em is a lovely, lovely thing to do.

i think the vinny vinesauce allegations almost immediately afterwards were complete bullshit, with multiple people who "made" the allegations came out and said they were taking wildly out of context and still had good relationships with him.

Ah yeah I get that at least. And yeah the Vinny stuff was weird, like one of the big parts of "evidence" that people were pushing really hard was a super obvious hackjob where you could hear stuff spliced together. It felt like a bunch of people were trying to jump on momentum to push vendettas.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 13, 2021

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yea if we could not just spread baseless rumors like loving schoolchildren that'd be cool nobody really gives a poo poo who had sex with a youtuber or whatever or that he didnt call back boo loving hoo

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Indecisive posted:

yea if we could not just spread baseless rumors like loving schoolchildren that'd be cool nobody really gives a poo poo who had sex with a youtuber or whatever or that he didnt call back boo loving hoo

Lol alright dude :jerkbag:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Don't even have to lie to say "Wow holy poo poo this is hosed up". Then again there's probably a very depressing amount of people that think using your influence over your fans to gently caress them is a okay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Indecisive posted:

a youtuber who is 42 hooking up with fans half his age or younger is extremely gross, regardless of the really lovely aspect of also ghosting once he's hosed them once

you don't need to take a stand for danny sexbang

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Don't even have to lie to say "Wow holy poo poo this is hosed up". Then again there's probably a very depressing amount of people that think using your influence over your fans to gently caress them is a okay.

They're called celebrities.

Captain Invictus posted:

a youtuber who is 42 hooking up with fans half his age or younger is extremely gross, regardless of the really lovely aspect of also ghosting once he's hosed them once

you don't need to take a stand for danny sexbang

Nobody's taking a stand for him. It just would have been great if people were more upfront about being upset about what he actually did instead of making him out to be like ProJared or something.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

They're called celebrities.

Nobody's taking a stand for him. It just would have been great if people were more upfront about being upset about what he actually did instead of making him out to be like ProJared or something.

i think sex pest is a completely correct term for what he did? sexual predator is too "harsh", but tricking people into thinking you are interested in a relationship with them, and then ghosting them when you get what you want makes you a sex pest.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

i think sex pest is a completely correct term for what he did? sexual predator is too "harsh", but tricking people into thinking you are interested in a relationship with them, and then ghosting them when you get what you want makes you a sex pest.

For me, a Sex Pest is someone who tries to harass or guilt someone into having sex with them. Aziz Ansari is my go to example for a sex pest. I could be wrong on this though.

That didn't really seem to happen with Danny. What happened was he had some one night stands with people that were infatuated with the idea of him because hey! Sex!

He should have said no. That was his mistake, but he's an idiot, so he didn't.

As for what he should have done, he should have handled them the way Robert Pattison handles his fans: Gently let them down by showing he's a normal person with real problems instead of a Sparkling Vampire.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Clip-On Fedora posted:

As for what he should have done, he should have handled them the way Robert Pattison handles his fans: Gently let them down by showing he's a normal person with real problems

Someone hasn't read that interview where Robert Pattison blows up one of his many microwaves trying to invent giant ravioli.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Well okay maybe calling Robert Pattison normal is a little much.

But no, I haven't read that interview. I will look it up.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

For me, a Sex Pest is someone who tries to harass or guilt someone into having sex with them. Aziz Ansari is my go to example for a sex pest. I could be wrong on this though.

That didn't really seem to happen with Danny. What happened was he had some one night stands with people that were infatuated with the idea of him because hey! Sex!

He should have said no. That was his mistake, but he's an idiot, so he didn't.

As for what he should have done, he should have handled them the way Robert Pattison handles his fans: Gently let them down by showing he's a normal person with real problems instead of a Sparkling Vampire.

i think the fact this happened to multiple people is what makes him a sex pest. the most generous interpretation is what you said, that he's an idiot who made a mistake, but if that was the case imo, it would have ended with the first person he hurt. you don't keep doing that if your a well meaning idiot.

im saying all this as a former fan, who literally stopped watching game grumps when the allegations came out. even when you get past the bullshit criminal accusations, the actual real things he did were incredibly lovely, and even if he had only done these things between 2014-2017, and he has become a better person who looks back at the things in disgust, i don't know if i can watch their content or buy their products anymore.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 13, 2021

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

i think the fact this happened to multiple people is what makes him a sex pest. the most generous interpretation is what you said, that he's an idiot who made a mistake, but if that was the case imo, it would have ended with the first person he hurt. you don't keep doing that if your a well meaning idiot.

im saying all this as a former fan, who literally stopped watching game grumps when the allegations came out. even when you get past the bullshit criminal accusations, the actual real things he did were incredibly lovely, and even if he had only done these things between 2014-2017, and he has become a better person who looks back at the things in disgust, i don't know if i can watch their content or buy their products anymore.

Yep. Society generally doesn't approve of people who sleep around. Still don't think that makes him a sexpest, just a regular human rear end in a top hat.

That being said, your reasons for not liking the guy are perfectly valid, and I've stopped being a fan of people for much less. I can't say I'm really a fan of Game Grumps anymore either.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 13, 2021

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Roobanguy posted:

This is where I'm at, and part of why it bothered me so much was because I really had thought better of Dan. I know I shouldn't put any expectations on anyone I watch on anything, but when you watch someone for years, I don't think you can help it, and the parasocial nature of YouTube just exacerbates that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

This is where I'm at, and part of why it bothered me so much was because I really had thought better of Dan. I know I shouldn't put any expectations on anyone I watch on anything, but when you watch someone for years, I don't think you can help it, and the parasocial nature of YouTube just exacerbates that

Parasocial relationships are immaterial to this IMO. This would be lovely behavior if he was in his 20's and the guy would just be a shithead. Doing that in your 40's is some weird rear end behavior.

Like, just tell people you want to gently caress and that's it, don't loving string people along that're half your age like that. It's some real 'website that counts down the seconds till a girl turns 18' energy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My favorite former best friends, Vinesauce and the Gamegrumps

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Roobanguy posted:

I thought this part was also not actually substantiated? I thought this is a large part of what people were taking umbrage with; the original reddit thread using one story, twisting the context (if not lying) and then tacking on "also there's totally other people who had similar experience"

Rody One Half posted:

What bad take/thing will land Pat or Woolie as twitter badguy of the day?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

woolie will say the gamer word

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I think you're wrong unless I'm missing key details (or you're referring to a different story altogether?). I recall the deal with Ansari is there was a scandalous headline implying he assaulted someone, but then the actual article, penned by the girl he was with, just said she went on a date with him, she went back to his place, things progressed intimately, she took her clothes off, he wanted to have sex with her, she verbally declined and then he backed off. Which is exactly what any decent person is supposed to do in that situation. The whole thing seemed overblown, and she got basically zero sympathy from anyone who read her full account of the night for equating what was just a bad date to something people have very real trauma attached to.

Of course there were some dumbass takes that a woman taking her clothes off = consent, which is up there as gross as people who argue that there is no such thing as marital rape :rolleyes: Tho my spicy hot take on this is the girl implying that Aziz assaulted her for not just...knowing that she didn't want to take things that far until she said something is childish. Yes there are inferences people should be able to make (which will vary from person to person), but not everyone has the same level of social cue awareness, not everyone sends the same signals and at the end of the day it's on the adult to vocalize exactly what their boundaries are if you're sensing/observing the person you're with isn't on the same page with you, especially if it's someone new you haven't been with before.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

woolie will say the gamer word

Please refer to the Reddit post crying about how he got reprimanded at work for listening to SBFC in the office and then his boss overheard Woolie creatively pronouncing “Nergigante”.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Please refer to the Reddit post crying about how he got reprimanded at work for listening to SBFC in the office and then his boss overheard Woolie creatively pronouncing “Nergigante”.

Lol that’s why you wear headphones dude

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, just lol at the idea of listening to anything SBFP or associated at a workplace without headphones.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Listening to a podcast over the speakers in an office where other people can hear it is a dick move in general

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

Listening to anything over the speakers in an office where other people can hear it is a dick move in general
I'd say some exception if people typically do not hear it, like in an office with a door, or some remote part where the only time people hearing it if they're coming to see you, but yeah, if it's open air and your neighbours have to hear whatever you've got on, that's lame.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

I thought this part was also not actually substantiated? I thought this is a large part of what people were taking umbrage with; the original reddit thread using one story, twisting the context (if not lying) and then tacking on "also there's totally other people who had similar experience"

What bad take/thing will land Pat or Woolie as twitter badguy of the day?

Weren’t the unsubstantiated part of the original Reddit post(which did come from a Reddit based around people being pissed that game grumps was “woke”, and are big jontron defenders, so you gotta take what comes from there with a grain of salt)the allegations of grooming, but the lovebombing and subsequent ghosting weren’t. All the accusations that came after the post when it hit mainstream were people saying that Danny did the later to them, but not the former.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is there a Grumps or Vinny thread for this?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

They don't need/deserve a thread outside the Internet Personalities thread. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is there a Grumps or Vinny thread for this?

There's a thread that keeps updating on newly revealed sex pests in streaming and gaming including voice actors and such. And they covered the Game Grumps saga if you'd rather use that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3897556&pagenumber=112&perpage=40&highlight=Danny#post512689835

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

There's a thread that keeps updating on newly revealed sex pests in streaming and gaming including voice actors and such.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Pat finished Disco

He met the big bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

He also earned the title of World's Most Laughable Centrist despite going hard communist.