Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Depths posted:

people don’t like hearing donations donated by other people getting read

I like it well enough, it's cute most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Depths posted:

people don’t like hearing donations donated by other people getting read

I do, it's nice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't think take breaks to do the donation stuff. Like they don't do it in the middle of a game.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Yeah, it could be worse, where they prioritize donation readings over moments in the games they stream that people want them to pay attention to.

Taking breaks to read donations also helps the people who want to skip that stuff in VoDs instead of listening to donation after donation while the game is being played.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like hearing donations get read... At the end of the stream, when the game is over and there is nothing else to do before signing off. On my own channel I read them when they pop up because I don't have many viewers or donations at a time, but when there's aTON of them at once as in Pat n Paige's streams, it smothers the banter and commentary.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the donation breaks are good, gives them time to wind down and also gives me easy spots to skip during VODs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Live streams are primarily meant to be watched live, they aren't for Captain Invictus or CJacobs to watch after the fact. Making your live stream archives be a better experience for people who don't watch them live is backwards.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CJacobs posted:

Making your live stream archives be a better experience for people who don't watch them live is backwards.

A lot of people do though, because a lot of people do watch them later, fans in places with worse internet, drastic time differences, less time and so on are worth helping out with good vods.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Live streams are primarily meant to be watched live, they aren't for Captain Invictus or CJacobs to watch after the fact. Making your live stream archives be a better experience for people who don't watch them live is backwards.

I hate the donation stuff way more when I watch streams live. With vods I can skip that stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yardbomb posted:

A lot of people do though, because a lot of people do watch them later, fans in places with worse internet, drastic time differences, less time and so on are worth helping out with good vods.

Okay great? Put the donations at the end then like I just said so everyone can be happy?

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I think there's a distinction to be made between the viewers who show up to see X people play Y game, versus the viewers who just show up to see the person and couldn't give less of a poo poo what they stream. I'm willing to bet that if Pat/Paige dropped video games altogether and just had a "Hang Out With The Broken Gingers Power-Hour (feat. A Cat)" they'd still have a bunch of viewers and donations, albeit less.

For the people there to see a person play a game, the donation stuff probably sucks, and yes I am one of those people. For the latter half that are just there to interact with their favorite virtual friends, it's all about streamer to viewer interaction and sending the funniest donation messages you can to get that reaction.

It's why I like Vinny from Vinesauce. Yeah he mentions his band sometimes and he'll read from chat if it's worth reading, but the stream is all about the games/making jokes. He doesn't do donation readings or have the little pop-ups when someone subscribes. It's chill and low-key. However, if you show up wanting to really interact with him and feel like you're participating, you're not going to have fun.

Someone in the last thread (I think) brought up the parasocial relationship thing, and I think it has a lot to do with that. Maybe?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

CJacobs posted:

I can't watch Pat/Paige's streams live because it's like at least 50% donation messages, reading donation messages, sitting around eating and not playing the video game at this point

Don't forget Paige chomping and crunching and smacking her lips directly into the loving mic. Incidentally, one of the people in chat taught me the word misophobia so that was at least educational.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Big Scary Owl posted:

Why not just do the thing where you can have a text-to-speech robot read the donation message while also increasing the donation message threshold? I watch a streamer that does that and it adds to the hilarity when the robot says something in a funny or weird way. I also tend to not watch Pat's streams because of the long pauses to read donations and whatnot.

Those are awful, and if you've got a robot doing it it seems even more impersonal and cynical to me than straight up skipping some. And that's before you get to the ones who just pretend their robot isn't reading out something horrifically racist while they play.

Edit: Yeah, Paige has loving table horrific manners t's incredibly off-putting. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but where I'm from people don't generally don't just burp loudly and clearly as if it's nothing. It's one step up from eating with your mouth open.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 26, 2018

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Edit: Yeah, Paige has loving table horrific manners t's incredibly off-putting. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but where I'm from people don't generally don't just burp loudly and clearly as if it's nothing. It's one step up from eating with your mouth open.

Great news! Tonight's steam is a tight shot on Pat as he talks with a mouthful of whatever and they both talk about how great Jim Sterling is!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jim sterling is great, they're right

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The perfect Berserk Adaptation doesn't exi-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5lLQza7Mew

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've probably missed the times where its been explained but what's actually wrong with Elmo, he just seems like a very lazy cat but also has mental issues?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think Part explained on the first podcast after him moving in that his legs don't work properly cause of brain problems and sometimes he just gets anxious about nothing and starts yelling.

and Elmo is pretty similar

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PzVJk1wxr4

Woolie's gonna show you how to play Kirby.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in which pat nearly has a panic attack while playing subnautica due to inventory issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmQPOp89r20&hd=1&t=9101s

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Last night was an hour straight of troubleshooting minor issues in Dragon age inquisition.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Last night was an hour straight of troubleshooting minor issues in Dragon age inquisition.
I threw my copy away when I discovered that dwarves don't automatically come with beards.
(That and I had bloodborne)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Almost two hours, actually. And his viewer count only increased.

I've never understood a Twitch audience less.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Grouchio posted:

I threw my copy away when I discovered that dwarves don't automatically come with beards.

Right on. All dwarves should have beards, even women; respect the canon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Viridiant posted:

Almost two hours, actually. And his viewer count only increased.

I've never understood a Twitch audience less.

That honestly sounds pretty fun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hoobajoo posted:

Right on. All dwarves should have beards, even women; respect the canon.
you tell'em

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/1079118996174196736

I wonder if Matt will be more vocal about poo poo like this now, cause seriously jesus christ whoever you are dude

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Andrast posted:

That honestly sounds pretty fun

I genuinely want you to explain this to me. It was almost two hours of Pat continuously going "Hold on" and Paige complaining about it. It's not like they were having interesting conversation while he was screwing with the settings.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Viridiant posted:

I genuinely want you to explain this to me. It was almost two hours of Pat continuously going "Hold on" and Paige complaining about it. It's not like they were having interesting conversation while he was screwing with the settings.

I haven't watched it yet. People loving with with their PC setting while trying to get stuff to work has in my experience been pretty fun to watch.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

I wonder if Matt will be more vocal about poo poo like this now, cause seriously jesus christ whoever you are dude

Vocal about poo poo like this as well as PSAs about why you should pay your taxes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Viridiant posted:

Hold on,

Just one more Hold On, Arthur

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Capn Beeb posted:

?????????????

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

Vocal about poo poo like this as well as PSAs about why you should pay your taxes

The fingers thing means the taxes! Who goobered their taxes?

Depths posted:

?????????????

I'm just wondering since The Brand isn't really at risk anymore, Matt can post more freely without risking people whining about the pesky 'ol SJWs ruining the best friends. Seems I recall that was a thing for a while.

cause seriously that's a gross fuckin' post

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That just seems like a bad joke to me

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
gross posts can be bad jokes

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Please report all joke crimes to the somethingawful comedy forums.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pat's gonna make 80,000$ by streaming for 30 hours accidentally.

Only 16 minutes will actually be gameplay.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

RareAcumen posted:

Pat's gonna make 80,000$ by streaming for 30 hours accidentally.

Only 16 minutes will actually be gameplay.

Just tag it as social eating.

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004

I had never heard of this before, it's actually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

While I wait for somebody other than Pat to produce content, I've decided to scroll down to the bottom of the SBFP Playlists and work my way up in very lose order. So far I've revisited all of Matt and Woolie's Oldschool Playthroughs, Final Fight Streetwise, Bionic Commando and Watch Other M. It's really impressive how well these all hold up. A lot of the jokes that I remember the Best Friends for go back even this far. Liam and Woolie's tag-team effort to beat SA-X in Metroid Fusion and the insane hype Woolie and Matt carried all the way through Double Dragon Neon (followed by the unbridled hatred for Double Dragon II Wander of Dragons), Pat's mancrush on Cody, the true origins of The Hulk Doll, it's been a fun ride.

Next up is Predator Concrete Jungle, after which I'll probably fall back to Silent Hill Downpour and follow that up with the long haul of the very first Shitstorm of Scariness. I still have 9 days of vacation left fuckers, LETS GO.